Next Last
  • Derblington 3 Oct 2019 10:44:24 31,987 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Double-tap G4 is a beast.
  • Duffking 5 Oct 2019 16:06:20 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New map direly needs a patch. You can't actually play apex legends at the moment because they forgot to make it actually spawn gear. You just land, find nothing for 20 minutes, die.
  • Immaterial 5 Oct 2019 17:36:37 2,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not that bad for me on PS4. I'm normally in white armour with at least one weapon after a couple of minutes- loads of loot pods scattered around, and the named areas normally have decent floor loot too.
  • Duffking 5 Oct 2019 18:08:33 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, and that's the problem. There's loot but it's exclusively shit guns and shit armour. If you don't die in the fight after the drop because everyone is left scrambling around trying to find some ammo, you spend 20 minutes running around trying to find ANYTHING.

Dsmx and I just landed in skyhook, had the whole place to ourselves, looted every single building and not one of us found enough attachments to kit out a gun fully, or armour better than grey. When the distribution is shit to this scale, it massively overpowers stuff like purple armour by association.

Also the charge rifle is a hacker's dream, it's ridiculous.
  • dsmx 5 Oct 2019 18:14:25 8,470 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also hackers are everywhere on the PC, if you didn't die to one of them you died to early in the round to meet them.

Edited by dsmx at 18:14:32 05-10-2019
  • Derblington 5 Oct 2019 18:41:11 31,987 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I donít really think the loot is an issue. You level up as you progress through the match, killing people and taking their stuff.
    It does play differently to Kongís Canyon but I donít think thatís a bad thing. Thereís a bit more focus on survival.
  • Duffking 5 Oct 2019 19:12:25 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Much easier said than done in this map though. We killed a lot of squads a few minutes into a game, looted them only to discover they've got no guns or armour as well. When only 1-2 squads have good stuff the good stuff becomes exponentially good. When it's late game we shoot at shockingly large numbers of grey shields until some people come by with purple and buttfuck everyone.

Previously you were basically guaranteed that you'd at least have blue armour by the end game and some solid attachments, but there's just fuck all around a lot of the time. The weirdest thing is that the buildings that look biggest are often the worst for loot. You think "ooh this 4 storey building will have some stuff", then you go in and only the ground floor is accessible and there's only 3 loot spawn locations on the whole floor.

We did fine yesterday but it was shocking this afternoon the frequency we just had nothing and the people we killed did too, 10 minutes into a game.

Edited by Duffking at 19:23:12 05-10-2019
  • dsmx 5 Oct 2019 19:37:08 8,470 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm with duff, the loot is shockingly bad on this map and it's so spread out you spend far too long getting it.

It should not be possible to loot an entire town and walk away with a grey shield, no helmet, no heals, no decent weaponry and barely any weapon mods that aren't even at blue level and yet that is what was happening.

It comes to something when you go through a quarter of a town and all I had was a RE45 with a purple mag, no secondary weapon and grey armour and yet that is what I had. One building I went into had 6 grey armour, no guns and a couple of grenades on a floor. 8 spawns should not have that level of shit loot.
  • Duffking 5 Oct 2019 20:00:11 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's as though all the locations are bigger but have the same amount of loot which is more spread out as a result. You get more squads per location often, but this means the meagre loot is split more. There's not enough loot per location to support the number of teams landing there.

We did better last night admittedly but we still found ourselves wandering around a lot thinking where's the fucking gear at? It's like everywhere is airbase.

Edited by Duffking at 20:00:27 05-10-2019
  • Duffking 5 Oct 2019 21:17:35 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good comparison here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/ddqu21/worlds_edge_vs_kings_canyon_the_ultimate/

# World's edge is 150% the size of King's Canyon.
    # While King's Canyon has 19 points of interest, World's Edge only has 15.
    # Both maps seem to have the same amount of Supply Bins.
    # Both maps have roughly the same amount of empty areas, but keep in mind that the empty areas in World's Edge are mostly 1.5x the size of the empty areas in King's Canyon.
    # King's Canyon has 21 possible Survey Beacons, World's Edge only 11
    # Because there are less points of interest and compounds, loot is more scarce than on King's Canyon. After the initial landing, players often have to travel long distances until they reach the next area with fresh loot.

Since the number of supply bins is the same, and the map is bigger with fewer named areas, I reckon there's a good chance that despite being 50% bigger there's less loot. Which makes it feel even worse.

Edited by Duffking at 21:18:48 05-10-2019
  • Derblington 6 Oct 2019 00:36:36 31,987 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve played daily and Iíve not had the issues you two are talking about. There are places that seem to have 100% purple armour spawn rates, and Iím finding blue all over the place. When Iím not finding it Iím taking it from corpses.

Travel distance and loot spread is greater but as I said, itís a focus on survival and hunting, rather than the almost carefree run-to-gunshots that Kingís Canyon was. It doesnít play that way anymore, and you need to adapt to it.
  • Duffking 6 Oct 2019 10:16:44 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I mean I like the map itself and the change in combat style. But the game yesterday was just repeatedly refusing to give us anything to allow us to participate. That's not an adapting problem just like it wasn't in the occasional time on the old map you'd get unlucky on loot. Sometimes you get fucked over by the RNG, that's BR. But it's the frequency on the new map and the loot distribution isn't helping it. We didn't have such a problem on Friday, but the consistency of it yesterday was just absurd. Just round after round of being caught with no heals, or no armour, or no ammo despite looting a ton of places. You shouldn't be able to loot a 3 story building right after the drop and have to punch a guy to death just go to get a gun.

Hopefully yesterday was just an outlier as we had bad evenings on the old map too, but it was kind of on another level for us yesterday.

Edited by Duffking at 12:27:28 06-10-2019
  • Duffking 7 Oct 2019 09:59:40 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think we had a generally better experience last night but still can't get any wins together.

Also galling to hit 1965 damage in a round as Crypto, give me my badges you fucks.
  • Immaterial 7 Oct 2019 10:00:37 2,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it's about identifying good looting areas- for example, there is almost always a purple shield in one of the cooling towers in Refinery. That said, i'm with Derbs on this: get basic gear then go farm other players.

Speaking of which, either I've become an Apex God (unlikely), or the general skill quality of players has dropped considerably.

In S2, I was lucky to end a round with 2-3 kills. In S3, I'm regularly getting 5-6 kills in both ranked and unranked, and almost always end the game in at least the top 5 (unless I die in the first 2 minutes). Anyone else got this?

Maybe it's the effect of good quality loot being rarer, or just the new map has brought more new or rusty returning players to the game..
  • Duffking 7 Oct 2019 10:20:09 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably a bit of both. Are you playing on PC? Dsmx and I desperately need a third who knows what they're doing, we'd have won a few games yesterday but each of them it was just the two of us because the random had solo dropped or run off on their own.
  • Immaterial 7 Oct 2019 10:37:45 2,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd love to, but I'm a console pleb at the moment.

Now - here's a point where PS4 is better than PC. You guys keep your fancy dan graphics and pin-point accurate MKB aim and movement. I'll keep my working in-game voice comms to help shepherd randoms into some kind of organised team, moving in roughly the same area and aiming at roughly the same point. It's amazing what a friendly 'hello, where should we drop then?' gets you in terms of team play.

When I watch streamers on PC talking with voice comms to their randoms, you can hardly understand a bloody word, the in-game VOIP is worse than anything I've heard this century.
  • Duffking 7 Oct 2019 10:39:27 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think anyone actually uses the in-game VOIP on PC, we all just pile into a discord channel.

Are the charge rifles as oppressive on console as on PC? They're fucking ridiculous over here, people getting kills from 400m away sometimes.

Edited by Duffking at 10:40:00 07-10-2019
  • Derblington 7 Oct 2019 10:50:31 31,987 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They're strong, yeah, but I don't actually think I'm killed by them that often.
  • Immaterial 7 Oct 2019 11:45:07 2,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been downed by a charge rifle when I've been thick and got caught on an open roof, or moving too far between cover on the ground. Again, from watching streamers I can see how OP the charge rifle is with MKB.

I do like the way that people hang on to their charge rifle in CQB though, rather than swapping to something appropriate for the range.
  • Technoishmatt 7 Oct 2019 14:40:58 3,543 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only played one S3 match, found the charge rifle, got a kill straight after, then died.

It is a really sweet weapon (kills with it in TF2 are lovely, but harder to hit), but it really isnt a great close up weapon. It feels powerful, but DPS must way below eg an Alternator. What is the damage per shot? I think some of the benefit is that during the charge it should slow the enemy down as well, making them easier to hit also hy team mates. I had to chase a guy for ages to kill him with a white shield. It's 3 full shots? That's like 2 SMG mags' worth.
  • Duffking 7 Oct 2019 14:56:24 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TTK is weird on it due to the beam hurting before it fully fires. But a full bodyshot will hit for 90, and a headshot for 101, so you can theoretically kill someone with it with 2 shots if they have purple armour and no helmet, otherwise 3. On average for me it does about 70+ each good hit I get so on average you're looking at 3 shots to kill a kitted player. The lack of variability in that is important though, basically no matter their armour a player with good aim is looking at a 2/3 shot kill regardless of enemy gear.

You wouldn't use it close up but because it's hitscan if you can aim it OK it's pretty ridiculous. And it definitely already applies slowdown on the chargeup beam as well. Should have been a care package weapon IMO and the L-Star a normal drop.

Edited by Duffking at 14:57:51 07-10-2019
  • Immaterial 10 Oct 2019 18:18:17 2,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't had the chance to play since the loot vaults were opened. Have they changed the game much?
  • Duffking 11 Oct 2019 13:29:04 16,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems to be a lot more gold gear around late game, I got full gold equipment out of one last night.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.