The Woke AF Thread Page 35

• Deleted user 10 May 2019 16:20:48
    Psiloc wrote:
    Theres a driving instructor in my village who named his company "Less Lessons" that I have to cringe at every day on the way to work
    Is his name Les?
  • askew 10 May 2019 16:30:22 19,308 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Whenever I see it, it just takes me to the scene with Stannis and Davos in Game of Thrones.
  • Tonka 15 May 2019 13:06:35 29,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On the internet, and its platforms, radicalising effects

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2019/5/15/18623952/soph-youtube-ban-buzzfeed-social-networks-extremism

I find this stuff super interesting. The fact that I've been working with web development for two decades now probably plays a part. I watched a bit of that Soph video yesterday and was struck by how much it sounded like the prominent gamergaters in cadence and references. The lol-right-pipeline grooming effects are very visible.

Anyhow, good introductory piece to on-line radicalisation.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Jun 2019 21:55:16 6,243 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sounds good
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Jun 2019 22:24:20 10,582 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    YouTube have been really bad at letting homophobes and racists and MRAs get away with being total wrong uns for far too long
  • JamboWayOh 5 Jun 2019 22:37:02 13,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PushBack wrote:
    Here it comes, YouTubes next assult
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/youtube-supremacists-conspiracy-theory-accounts-delete-channels-users-a8945851.html
    Or private company exercises it's rights as a private company to control the content on its private platform.
  • Rodney 5 Jun 2019 22:43:22 3,878 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good news. YouTube has become an absolute cesspool the last few years, and it's algorithms seem to always pull you towards the extreme content.

The reference to religion is possibly an issue because often fundamentalists abuse these rules to get reformers/secularists banned and stifle criticism, but it all depends on how the rules will be executed.

If YouTube's copyright protection efforts are anything to go by though then YouTube will hit everyone with a broad hammer and the system will be abused.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jun 2019 08:02:24 20,411 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the horse on this already bolted years ago, but it's nice that they're trying I suppose.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Jun 2019 08:05:29 10,908 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a lot of crying about this on social media from the absolute worst people, so it must be good.
  • Rodney 6 Jun 2019 09:02:21 3,878 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shouldn't they celebrate this as an example of the free market, and maket place of ideas, in action and a natural consequence of corporations being granted first amendment rights?

Edited by Rodney at 09:02:34 06-06-2019
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jun 2019 09:10:23 20,411 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They've fucked themselves by sitting on it for too long, and any solution aside from burning the whole place (or the whole internet) down and starting over is going to be inadequate and ripe for abuse. But I hope they can manage it.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 09:19:57 13,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Shouldn't they celebrate this as an example of the free market, and maket place of ideas, in action and a natural consequence of corporations being granted first amendment rights?
    BUT THEIR RIGHTS!
  • Rodney 6 Jun 2019 10:05:24 3,878 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They should probably my delete all comments and nothing of value would be lost
  • senso-ji 6 Jun 2019 10:44:04 9,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PushBack wrote:
    Here it comes, YouTubes next assult
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/youtube-supremacists-conspiracy-theory-accounts-delete-channels-users-a8945851.html
    That's weird, because yesterday youtube decided this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48525698

The level of inconsistency regarding their actions is crazy. It's plain to see that the more popular channels get a much gentler time than the smaller ones. Which is silly because the behaviour of the more popular youtubers is what drives the copycat channels who push their content towards more extreme levels to get attention.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2019 10:47:29
    Its always the same ass hats who bang on about loss of freedom of speech and censorship whenever a company deplatforms them.

Corporations are not the government they have no duty to protect your first amendment rights. You are still perfectly entitled to stand on a street corner and shout idiocy into the ether. Just don't be surprised when people start throwing things at you.
  • nudistpete 6 Jun 2019 11:17:50 751 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    Corporations are not the government they have no duty to protect your first amendment rights.
    It's evenly enforcing those policies which irks me, if you look over at reddit the enforcement of removing hate speech seems to change depending on the way the wind is blowing on the day the sub is removed and the bans are handed out.

If you're going to commit to removing hate speech it needs to be applied no matter of the race of the person saying it/the race it's targeted against, and no community should be above the rules even if it's one that has millions of subscribers and generates tons of ad revenue.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2019 11:29:23
    nudistpete wrote:
    Corporations are not the government they have no duty to protect your first amendment rights.
    It's evenly enforcing those policies which irks me, if you look over at reddit the enforcement of removing hate speech seems to change depending on the way the wind is blowing on the day the sub is removed and the bans are handed out.

If you're going to commit to removing hate speech it needs to be applied no matter of the race of the person saying it/the race it's targeted against, and no community should be above the rules even if it's one that has millions of subscribers and generates tons of ad revenue.
    But they don't have . Its ultimately up to the the superior party as to whether they will exercise their right to enforce that policy and within their Terms of Service you agree that any final decision is at their discretion.
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2019 11:29:48 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I do like the assertion that this is proof that 'big tech' had an agenda against conservatives.

If left leaning accounts became indistinguishable from Nazis, I'm sure most people would support their removal, too.
  • nudistpete 6 Jun 2019 11:34:55 751 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    But they don't have . Its ultimately up to the the superior party as to whether they will exercise their right to enforce that policy and within their Terms of Service you agree that any final decision is at their discretion.
    I completely agree. Doesn't mean it's fair, though. There's a massive untouchable right-wing community on Reddit that sails very close to the wind of hate speech, but will never get removed or punished because it's too big. Yet smaller subs have been removed for hate speech when they just post completely inoffensive memes like r/waterniggas.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Jun 2019 11:37:22 20,123 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    waterniggas sounds like it may well be offensive.
  • Jono62 6 Jun 2019 11:41:11 22,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, cant think why
  • Load_2.0 6 Jun 2019 11:42:55 29,507 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Brexit campaign definitely hoovered up all the conspiracy theorists.

I await the UK QAnon releasing cryptic emails revealing the EU being involved in lizard human brain swaps.
  • nudistpete 6 Jun 2019 11:44:59 751 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You must be one of those people who prefers pop: Brief history here.
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Jun 2019 11:57:11 7,282 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ, internet humour is shite
  • Deleted user 6 June 2019 11:58:21
    nudistpete wrote:
    I completely agree. Doesn't mean it's fair, though. There's a massive untouchable right-wing community on Reddit that sails very close to the wind of hate speech, but will never get removed or punished because it's too big. Yet smaller subs have been removed for hate speech when they just post completely inoffensive memes like r/waterniggas.
    I go nowhere near reddit.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 12:57:36 13,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You must be one of those people who prefers pop: Brief history here.
    It's a meme guys, everything's OK.
  • senso-ji 7 Jun 2019 09:28:03 9,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Meme's about water? Has the internet already ran out of ideas?
  • Joyless_Man 7 Jun 2019 09:36:27 276 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Reddit is an absolutely dreadful place. Just a load of attention seekers trying to get upvotes by shitposting or putting up sob stories.

I'm convinced at least half of everything on there is an absolute lie.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.