The Woke AF Thread Page 55

• adamasunder12 11 Sep 2019 15:53:23 727 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    If ever there was a perfect gender neutral moniker Sam would be a contender surely.
  • nudistpete 11 Sep 2019 15:58:31 861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Are you suggesting some kind of androgynous genderfluid Firefighter Sam reboot?
  • adamasunder12 11 Sep 2019 16:02:26 727 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Can you be androgynous and gender fluid?
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Sep 2019 17:34:02 11,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can be an attack helicopter according to Gervais.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Sep 2019 17:38:59 21,246 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder why Ricky Gervais (or anyone else for that matter) gives a shit about what other people identify as. Clearly he isn't interested in actually learning about the issues, but at the very least could recognise that they don't really affect him either way.
  • ResidentKnievel 11 Sep 2019 18:28:11 7,305 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gets a cheap laugh from twats, innit
  • Mola_Ram 11 Sep 2019 18:49:09 21,246 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True that.

I guess there's just the whole "punching down" element that I'm getting increasingly annoyed by, not just with Gervais but a lot of comedians throwing shit at people who already have enough to deal with.

If it was actually funny, I might be more inclined to like it. But usually it's just the tired old "hur hur hur I identify as a houseplant WHY DOESN'T SOCIETY RECOGNISE THAT EH" cliches.
  • ResidentKnievel 11 Sep 2019 19:00:52 7,305 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Relevant and agreeing with what you're talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj7LDYaufM&t=4m38s

Contrapoints on Ricky Gervais and punching down humour

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 19:01:58 11-09-2019
  • nudistpete 11 Sep 2019 19:04:29 861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gervais's recent comedy is just "HAHAHA LOOK AT ME, I'M SO OFFENSIVE, HAHAHA, I DON'T CARE IF YOU HATE ME, HAHAHAHA, DEAD BABIES ARE FuNnY HAHAHA" repeated 436 times. It's like a poor emulation of Stuart Lee minus the obvious sarcasm and wit.
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2019 20:16:19 78,544 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He's reached the point of his career where he has passed through his own arsehole and has completely disconnected with his audience.

His comedy at least used to have a point but now it's just mean spirited for the sake of it.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Sep 2019 20:17:03 16,769 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thereís a lot of similar discussion about Dave Chappellís new special on Netflix. Seems to be a sharp divide between people enjoying him being anti woke, and others just thinking heís a cunt.
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Sep 2019 20:17:53 11,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    He's reached the point of his career where he has passed through his own arsehole and has completely disconnected with his audience
    Whilst finding a new audience of bed wetting, incel cretins.
  • JamboWayOh 11 Sep 2019 20:19:52 14,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    He's reached the point of his career where he has passed through his own arsehole and has completely disconnected with his audience.

His comedy at least used to have a point but now it's just mean spirited for the sake of it.
    Yeah, this. He does seem unable to even take a step back and look at what he's saying. It's just a middle aged man punching down but thinks he's being edgy like a sixth form student.
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2019 20:24:18 78,544 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Thereís a lot of similar discussion about Dave Chappellís new special on Netflix. Seems to be a sharp divide between people enjoying him being anti woke, and others just thinking heís a cunt.
    I think it's got something like a 10% critic score and a 90% audience score, because it owns the libs or something like that.
  • Lukus 11 Sep 2019 21:13:52 22,023 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    See, I watched that and enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily agree with what he was saying but then I didn't think he necessarily meant what he was saying either, given he's a comedian... It reminded me of a more innocent time when you could say awful shit but trust your audience to hopefully have enough intelligence to know it was deliberately controversial with a hefty amount of tongue in cheek.

The trouble comes when less accomplished comedians with dubious motives come along and say similarly controversial things but without the nuance or layers.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Sep 2019 21:47:04 20,717 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah it was a direct response to people taking themselves too seriously. I thought it was fucking hilarious to be honest. I'm a pretty huge fan of his though. One of the cleverest comedians working at the moment.
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2019 22:04:57 78,544 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I liked most of it, i just found that the stuff people are complaining about was a bit of an eye roll.

I dunno... I think giving it a meta, 4d meaning is giving it a bit too much credit when is really just a drunk uncle trying to wind up his woke family at Christmas dinner. Like my dad constantly using the phrase 'paki shop' because he knows it gets on my tits.
  • fontgeeksogood 11 Sep 2019 22:21:44 6,762 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The only responsibility a comedian has is to be funny. I don't think anything is off limits with the exception of Decks' weird facial thing.

But, as with freedom of speech there isn't freedom of consequence. Topically, I told a mild (for me) joke which I'm sure wasn't very original on the 9th November, 2001 about how that day, that dark, dark day had been the Commonwealth's 9/11 and received an invitation to the punch party
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Sep 2019 22:22:17 20,717 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I dunno, the whole thing seemed like a response to people trying to stop stand ups saying what they want. He's talked about it quite a bit in interviews.

The epilogue thing after it is worth a watch too.
  • Lukus 11 Sep 2019 22:28:15 22,023 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No, no, it's like Nick's racist dad.
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2019 22:31:42 78,544 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He's not actually racist, it's his clever commentary on outrage culture.
  • fontgeeksogood 11 Sep 2019 22:34:43 6,762 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It harks back to the days of Chris Rock doing that bit about loving shops owned by people with an Asian subcontinent heritage, but hating paki shops
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2019 22:41:04 78,544 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You should hear his bit about 'flied lice'.
  • Lukus 11 Sep 2019 22:53:43 22,023 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've not really enjoyed much Bill Burr in the past, but I found his recent Netflix special from a date in London surprisingly good. It's sort of similar in tone and content to the Dave Chappelle one (although maybe more measured?), talking about outrage culture and how over the top and binary it can be. I've only watched the first half though...
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2019 23:10:55 78,544 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, same. I think he's become more relevant as the stuff he's previously railed against has become ever more obnoxious.
  • Nanocrystal 12 Sep 2019 00:18:30 1,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:

Contrapoints recently fell afoul of the Woke AF brigade herself.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2019 04:29:24 21,246 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:

Yeah, whenever I watch a Contrapoints thing it feels like I'm going to strain my neck from nodding so much. But I hadn't seen that one before, so cheers for the link.

As for Chappelle, he does seem to be coming from a better place than Gervais. He does seem to be aware of the trans community, and bases some of the humour in the inherent absurdity of being born in the wrong body (which is great, because it is kind of absurd, even for trans people). But then he follows up with the tired old shit about "identification", like how he now identifies as a Chinese person or whatever, and I wonder whether he's actually thought about this at all.

So it's a mixed bag, really. I love his act, but don't always think it's funny or insightful.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 08:17:53 12-09-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Sep 2019 06:13:15 16,769 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I donít agree the only responsibility a comedian has is to be funny. A progressive society protects the marginalised. Thereís no caveat that you get to do damage to certain groups as long as youíre smart enough to be funny when you do it.

By a similar token I donít think you can forgive one person for punching down and not another just because one happens to be funnier.
  • monkman76 12 Sep 2019 06:15:59 14,925 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't get your trans jokes to land eh kal
  • Mola_Ram 12 Sep 2019 08:28:24 21,246 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I dunno, the whole thing seemed like a response to people trying to stop stand ups saying what they want.
    But who actually is "trying to stop stand ups saying what they want", and how are they trying to do that? At least in Western countries, it's not like people are getting arrested for telling tasteless jokes.

So then you might point to the anti-woke brigade jumping on them on Twitter or whatever. But that's just people using their own speech to respond to the comedian's speech. Michael Richards was free to use racial slurs against members of his audience, and others were then free to call him a racist, stop attending his shows, etc. That seems pretty fair to me.

You think if anyone would have a thick skin, it'd be comedians. But they're often just as hysterical about this "woke" thing than the actual woke people are. They invite controversy home for dinner, then act all indignant and surprised when the doorbell rings.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 08:29:57 12-09-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.