The Woke AF Thread Page 7

• Load_2.0 6 Feb 2019 20:41:12 28,574 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's an odd one in that people are horrified by the racism but bypass the vigilantism.

I mentioned this before that had he not mentioned race he would have been praised rather than pilloried.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2019 20:42:54 13,671 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I think itís a combination of the two really. What he was describing was effectively lynching.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Feb 2019 20:43:20 11,157 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Thereís no question what he did was racist and awful. But itís not like this has been unearthered on some old Twitter post. He has willingly volunteered the story to make a point about reflecting on past behaviour and recognising it as wrong. Or at least Iím pretty sure thatís what he was trying to do.
    It is a strange one as he was actively admitting to being a shit. Admitting it at a press junket is a weird place but he was honest about it and as Kal says he volunteered this information. I would like to believe we use it as a way of having a conversation about unconscious bias towards different ethnicities rather than being all tabloid and saying that Liam Neeson is a current racist who wants to kill black people.
  • Lukus 6 Feb 2019 20:47:22 21,626 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    It's an odd one in that people are horrified by the racism but bypass the vigilantism.

I mentioned this before that had he not mentioned race he would have been praised rather than pilloried.
    I totally disagree. That was incredibly disturbing in itself. He sounds completely unhinged, but the added racism really shows him up. Besides, the way it was all phrased and delivered seriously makes me think the desire to kill was increased by the obvious prejudice.
  • Lukus 6 Feb 2019 20:47:48 21,626 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

I totally disagree. That was incredibly disturbing in itself. He sounds completely unhinged, but the added racism really shows him up. Besides, the way it was all phrased and delivered seriously makes me think the desire to kill was increased by the obvious prejudice.
  • Load_2.0 6 Feb 2019 20:51:57 28,574 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Its cynical but i genuinely think people would have cheered it on.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Feb 2019 20:52:57 11,157 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Its cynical but i genuinely think people would have cheered it on.
    Hmm, if it was to beat up a paedo then I'd probably agree he'd get some cheers of support.
  • Load_2.0 6 Feb 2019 20:54:03 28,574 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Some?

If it was a paedo he would have been knighted.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2019 20:58:35 25,415 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Him coming out with all this whilst promoting a film doesn't exactly give the best impression.
  • superdelphinus 6 Feb 2019 21:47:48 9,966 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    That's an accurate summary.
    It missed out him being given a police warning for harassing a trans activist.

Hes had quite the year.
    I donít like linehan, I find him disappointingly irritating in real life and he was one of the main reasons I stopped using Twitter a few years ago (though I only Ďusedí it for a couple of months anyway). But, I donít think he did actually receive a police warning did he?
  • H1ggyLTD 6 Feb 2019 21:53:51 11,500 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Live and let live, init.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Feb 2019 21:56:12 17,866 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think people labelling him a racist need to remember whax it was like in the 70's. Shit like Love Thy Neighbour was prime time television.

It's a wildly misjudged thing for him to say but he was trying to make a point about human behaviour. And you really can't judge what he did by today's standards. It was a completely different world. And Norn Ireland was absolutely bat shit crazy back then.
  • PickledRight 6 Feb 2019 22:10:59 51 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Uh, he admitted to planning on murdering someone for a week...
  • thelzdking 6 Feb 2019 22:11:22 8,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't the subtext of his story "what a racist twat I was, eh? How wrong was that?"
  • mothercruncher 7 Feb 2019 07:43:05 15,774 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PickledRight wrote:
    Uh, he admitted to planning on murdering someone for a week...
    The point was Northern Ireland was significantly more violent back then. He literally lived in a literal place where people literally planned on murdering people. And then literally did. With regularity.

That aside, I think the ďBBĒ phrase tripped him up here and is telling. Its one thing to use that language in a coarse environment 40 years ago, but quite another to repeat it today and not expect a reaction. Why the fuck wouldnít he mention colour, if he thought it was relevant to the story, but be aware of how hideous that phrase is today and therefore not repeat it?

Edited by mothercruncher at 07:44:36 07-02-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Feb 2019 07:45:10 17,866 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I literally agree.
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Feb 2019 08:09:38 6,674 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Listening to the actual interview (rather than just reading the transcript) he voiced it like you would confide to your mate in a pub, which is ill-judged during a press interview. He should know better given his long time experience in the industry, and should have predicted the outcry (who knows, maybe he did but just didn't care).

It seemed clear to me what point he was trying to make and that he condemned his actions, it's a shame that that's lost on many as they focus on a bunch of specific words without that context.

I found something similar happening with Tusk's statement yesterday.
  • Tonka 7 Feb 2019 09:34:20 29,039 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    CAtholic church eh?

Burn that shit to the ground. Nuns used as sexslaves.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-priests-nuns-sexual-slavery-abuse-saint-jean-order-france/
  • Tonka 7 Feb 2019 09:38:05 29,039 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Isn't the subtext of his story "what a racist twat I was, eh? How wrong was that?"
    This is the perfect example of what I was trying to say about speaking about this from a place of absolute privilege. I can sit back and think "Well, he meant well. It just didn't come out right"

But if you're a person that have to watch your back bc racist/sexist assholes, then maybe that's not an option. I don't know.

It would be good if famous people with a platform made a conscious effort to be very clear on what they're actually trying to say. Especially in this time of dog whistling.
  • nudistpete 7 Feb 2019 12:09:56 492 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Especially in this time of dog whistling.
    If you had a wormhole and could send this sentence to 2010 as a message from the future, people would think we live in an age where we're ruled by vicious canine overlords.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Feb 2019 12:18:02 13,671 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    This is the perfect example of what I was trying to say about speaking about this from a place of absolute privilege. I can sit back and think "Well, he meant well. It just didn't come out right"

But if you're a person that have to watch your back bc racist/sexist assholes, then maybe that's not an option. I don't know.

It would be good if famous people with a platform made a conscious effort to be very clear on what they're actually trying to say. Especially in this time of dog whistling.
    Honestly, I really don't understand what you're on about at all here. He shouldn't have chosen to raise awareness of unconscious racist behaviour by admitting to a past incident because he's a white man?

Yes, he handled it badly. That's very clear at this point. No idea what this has to do with privilege.
  • JYM60 7 Feb 2019 12:21:15 17,596 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had never heard of this term 'woke' until I seen this.

https://youtu.be/mj8VpuLSkHY
  • elstoof 7 Feb 2019 12:32:07 22,413 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím just surprised anyone expected a 66 year old man to not be dropping casual racism and misguided right-on social conceptions. Your dad says stuff like this all the time and also doesnít understand why heís told heís being out of touch
  • Tonka 7 Feb 2019 12:37:15 29,039 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes, he handled it badly. That's very clear at this point. No idea what this has to do with privilege.
    My unease is not about him but about me. It's the way I can dismiss it as "Oh come on, he meant well!" that I feel as a privilege. I can see what he was trying to say and I think it's a good thing to bring up.

But I'm completely detached from the issue at the core, that there are people who go out and murder people of color at random. Still. It's not a 70's thing. That shit happens. I can imagine that if you had brown eyes, seeing a famous actor hamfistedly giving support to that idea could be upsetting.
  • Tonka 7 Feb 2019 12:40:43 29,039 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Actually I'm not completely detached from that. I have to explain to my 8yo why a democratically elected politician in Sweden wants to throw his mother out of the country.

I notice that colleagues from all blue eyed families don't have the same level of engagement with how fucked up the Sweden Democrats are. They've no skin in the game.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Feb 2019 12:41:39 13,671 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    My unease is not about him but about me. It's the way I can dismiss it as "Oh come on, he meant well!" that I feel as a privilege. I can see what he was trying to say and I think it's a good thing to bring up.

But I'm completely detached from the issue at the core, that there are people who go out and murder people of color at random. Still. It's not a 70's thing. That shit happens. I can imagine that if you had brown eyes, seeing a famous actor hamfistedly giving support to that idea could be upsetting.
    As long as you have awareness and perspective on your privilege I can't see the problem. As privileged white people we have no right to be telling black people they shouldn't be offended by what Liam Neeson said, or at the very least we should listen to and empathise with their perspective. It doesn't mean we can't also recognise that he was apparently trying to do a good thing by admitting to the behaviour.
  • monkman76 7 Feb 2019 12:44:24 14,157 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    'Has brown eyes' is an odd catch-all for 'not white'. I am white and have brown eyes.
  • elstoof 7 Feb 2019 12:49:50 22,413 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Must be a Swedish thing because heís used that one before
  • monkman76 7 Feb 2019 12:51:01 14,157 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I've seen. I guess we're not as pure bred as the Nords.
  • b-rk 7 Feb 2019 12:51:45 820 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Wait, what's this brown eyes thing.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.