The Woke AF Thread Page 121

• drhickman1983 30 Jun 2020 12:48:40 6,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Purely anecdotal but my sister's slightly-racist-but-otherwise-nice-enough boyfriend will always make some comment if we see an ethnic family walking a country trail.
    Oh yeah?
    Yeah, can't think of anything in particular, but just something to highlight the fact that they're Indian or whatever. He'll just make a passing comment in a way that he wouldn't do if it was a white family.

All that said, if we do go walking in Wales the vast, vast majority of walkers are white. In that regard maybe it is unusual to see Non-whites walking around. Probably don't see them because of the glares.
  • DJCopa 30 Jun 2020 12:49:01 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Beautiful pride of roundabouts on the Serengeti.
  • nickthegun 30 Jun 2020 12:50:10 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Also bear in mind that the Peak District is home to Ashbourne, the place that thought it was hilarious to stage Operation: Casual Racism, where their elected officials hid the clearly racist statue of Ďthe blacks headí and laughed when anyone asked about it.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jun 2020 12:51:28 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    #bantz
  • Rhaegyr 30 Jun 2020 12:57:06 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I live 10 miles from the Peak District and I see people of all different backgrounds. If I pass someone, I'll say a hello. It's what practically everyone does.
    I go to the Peak District, Lake District, Somerset etc. regularly for weekends away with my other half. I've had practically the opposite experience - barely anyone says hello, they just stare at you like you're an outsider. It's even worse going to the pubs or for a meal.

We're both white too.
    Do you say hello first?
    I'll nod or smile to someone walking past me for sure.

But in a pub or restaurant when a fair few of the locals are staring - what would you have me do? Go round and introduce myself to everyone individually? Or knock on the doors of villagers when I spot them staring at us out of their windows until we're out of sight?

The point I was (poorly) trying to get at is you can't judge how 'the countryside' acts based on your own personal experiences. That includes my own experiences.
  • nickthegun 30 Jun 2020 12:58:01 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mean, itís obvious how/why it happened. People immigrate to where there is work which is why the Peak District is 98% white (with a 2% margin of error), so exposure to other cultures is massively limited.

Where my dad lives has one of the oldest populations in the country because as soon as anyone hits 18 they move to either Derby or Sheffield if they donít particularly want an exciting career fucking sheep.
  • Dougs 30 Jun 2020 13:04:11 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    Beautiful pride of roundabouts on the Serengeti.
    Also known as Swindon
  • robthehermit 30 Jun 2020 13:11:45 7,741 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I mean, itís obvious how/why it happened. People immigrate to where there is work which is why the Peak District is 98% white (with a 2% margin of error), so exposure to other cultures is massively limited.

Where my dad lives has one of the oldest populations in the country because as soon as anyone hits 18 they move to either Derby or Sheffield if they donít particularly want an exciting career fucking sheep.
    Cornwall is the same. According to some survey site I've looked at it's 98.2% white as a county. As for other cultures, after Christian at 59.8% no other religion is followed by more than 0.5% of the population. The largest minority religion is Buddhism Ė 0.32%, followed by Muslim (0.16%), Hindu (0.10%) and Jewish (0.07%).
  • Gibroon 30 Jun 2020 13:19:02 2,295 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had a holiday in Cornwall last year and it was really hard to see anyone that was from a different ethnic group. Only French and German tourists, all white. About 50Č of males had anchors or English flags tattooed on their calf muscles.
  • SnackPlissken 30 Jun 2020 13:23:00 1,858 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I live 10 miles from the Peak District and I see people of all different backgrounds. If I pass someone, I'll say a hello. It's what practically everyone does.
    I mean, this is a robust qualitative research exercise based on the lived experiences of 300 participants. Perhaps none of them were lucky enough to bump into you personally but Iím not sure that negates the validity of the methodology.
    So, what do we do about it then? to make the countryside more open to wider ethnic backgrounds?

Perhaps British people are miserable?

Edited by SnackPlissken at 13:30:52 30-06-2020
  • nickthegun 30 Jun 2020 13:25:45 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The long term plan seems to be let everyone die of old age and start again.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jun 2020 13:33:52 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The long term plan seems to be let everyone die of old age and start again.
    I'm ok with that.
  • RGeefe 30 Jun 2020 16:54:08 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aaaand I've just had to point out in a group that, while criticism of Israel's actions towards Palestine are very valid, saying that "as a majority Jewish population they should know a little more about trying to keep peace with others" is verging on anti-semitism. I told them I wasn't accusing anyone as such but that it's important not to let Israel become "Jews".

This is a group that's pro-trans, pro-gender, pro-lefty.

How the fuck do people have such a blind spot to this?
  • TechnoHippy 30 Jun 2020 16:56:39 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Everyone has to have someone lower than them on the shit heap.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jun 2020 17:04:42 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It strikes me as pure Higgyism. Believing that because you're right and on the side of good you can't possibly have any problematic views. Anyone pointing this out is a 'bad faith actor'. Eurgh, God, he used that shit so many times.
  • disusedgenius 30 Jun 2020 17:18:13 10,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    So, what do we do about it then? to make the countryside more open to wider ethnic backgrounds?

I mean a good start would so many people not getting outraged enough at the suggestion that they want to tear down anyone who would dare point it out.
  • mothercruncher 30 Jun 2020 17:43:53 17,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Weíll see.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Jun 2020 17:44:36 19,729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Aaaand I've just had to point out in a group that, while criticism of Israel's actions towards Palestine are very valid, saying that "as a majority Jewish population they should know a little more about trying to keep peace with others" is verging on anti-semitism. I told them I wasn't accusing anyone as such but that it's important not to let Israel become "Jews".

This is a group that's pro-trans, pro-gender, pro-lefty.

How the fuck do people have such a blind spot to this?
    That is antisemitism, not verging on it.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Jun 2020 17:47:34 19,729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:

I mean a good start would so many people not getting outraged enough at the suggestion that they want to tear down anyone who would dare point it out.
    Quite. Also slightly raised an eyebrow at the somewhat ironic nature of that outage in accusing city folk of all being rude and leaving their rubbish everywhere.

This isnít an issue unique to Britain. Suspect itís far worse in bigger less diverse nations. I donít think itís a problem we actively solve either, rather itís one that will get solved through things like better representation of diversity in the media, and also people moving outside of cities more as remote working and such becomes more common.
  • chopsen 30 Jun 2020 18:31:20 20,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I live in the countryside and have to say I think we really are very friendly

Edited by chopsen at 18:31:48 30-06-2020
  • chopsen 30 Jun 2020 18:32:15 20,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And if anybody says different I'll fucking knife you
  • Your-Mother 30 Jun 2020 18:33:17 4,294 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He doesnít drink smoke laugh, takes herbal baths
  • sport 30 Jun 2020 18:44:56 15,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Feels good to mingle with these laid-back country folk, don't it, Har? I LIKE IT A LOT.
  • Load_2.0 30 Jun 2020 18:48:04 31,633 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's like when people go to the outback. Real friendly till you get wolf creeked.
  • sport 30 Jun 2020 18:50:17 15,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    It's like when people go to the outback. Real friendly till you get wolf creeked.
    Ha, seen all the films and TV series. Bloody love Mick - truly terrifying character.
  • RGeefe 30 Jun 2020 18:50:31 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    Feels good to mingle with these laid-back country folk, don't it, Har? I LIKE IT A LOT.
    Are those skis yours?
  • thelzdking 30 Jun 2020 21:12:55 10,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are places in Lincolnshire where they look at you funny if you're from somewhere else in Lincolnshire. If you're a different colour they'd probably see you as a supernatural being.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jun 2020 21:20:25 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    There are places in Lincolnshire where they look at you funny if you're from somewhere else in Lincolnshire. If you're a different colour they'd probably see you as a supernatural being.
    So tiki torches and pitchforks then?
  • anephric 30 Jun 2020 21:30:57 4,017 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been out for meetings with councillors from various Lincolnshire towns, and there was no reticence with language on their part when describing "not one of us".
  • creepiest-lizard 30 Jun 2020 21:42:58 1,340 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They just don't like them thar city folk with their exotic skin or wives or husbands they're not blood related to.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.