The Woke AF Thread Page 154

• Khanivor 15 Sep 2020 01:52:20 44,714 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    She’s obviously now of the George Lucas ‘fuck all y’all’ school of rich creatives.
  • Khanivor 15 Sep 2020 01:52:33 44,714 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    But with substantially more asshole
  • Mola_Ram 15 Sep 2020 06:10:49 25,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it one of those Freudian slip things that her pseudonym (Robert Galbraith) has the same name as a well-known conversion therapy researcher?

Probably just a coincidence, but her inability to leave these topics alone is probably going to make a lot of her work seem more suspect than it otherwise would.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Sep 2020 07:54:41 22,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Is this just trolling now?

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/14/jk-rowling-new-book-cormoran-strike-troubled-blood-killer-dresses-woman/
    It’s baiting. She may not even realise that’s what it is, but it is.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 08:00:55 16,076 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It’s obviously occupying a lot of her mental real estate
  • Tonka 15 Sep 2020 09:12:28 31,562 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    "Oh, so you don't agree with me?" I'll create a work of fiction that agrees with me!"

Spectacularly tone deaf
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 10:20:06 16,076 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As someone who has enjoyed her work (Potter and Strike) and seen the general positive vibes she used to promote I was giving her a large benefit of the doubt at the start of all this. Even after a couple of weeks I thought maybe she was just digging a hole because of how bad social media is.

But her long blog post was pretty off and now a 900 page(?!) novel? That’s not an accident whatever the point is she thinks she’s making
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 10:21:00 16,076 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Double shame for the betrayal of an entire generation of queer kids who found their voice and confidence from reading Potter too
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 10:26:07 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its probably time for a Michael Jackson-esque 'separate the art from the artist' conversation.

But, yeah, I kind of gave her the benefit of the doubt. At first it looked like a gervais type 'how fucking dare you?' digging in of her heels that the brand of feminism she subscribes to might be a bit poisonous but putting a book like this out just feels vindictive.

You definitely couldnt make a roller coaster out of it, thats for sure.
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 10:27:24 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe a toilets of horror ride, where trannies and drag queens constantly leapt out of the cubicles.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Sep 2020 10:30:05 22,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On that note, I was really struggling with Roald Dahl day being all over the BBC the other day. His work means a lot to me and I loved It as a kid, which made it even more heartbreaking as a 6 year old to discover he openly and proudly hated Jews.

Think generally that conversation needs to be more broadly about celebrating everyone’s work and achievements without putting the people themsleves on pedestals (figuratively and literally).
  • Mola_Ram 15 Sep 2020 10:34:42 25,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Double shame for the betrayal of an entire generation of queer kids who found their voice and confidence from reading Potter too
    Yeah... I'm often able to separate the art from the people that make it. But I imagine that would be pretty difficult for people who found comfort in their own identities through consuming that art. Only for it to be taken away.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Sep 2020 10:37:11 25,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    On that note, I was really struggling with Roald Dahl day being all over the BBC the other day. His work means a lot to me and I loved It as a kid, which made it even more heartbreaking as a 6 year old to discover he openly and proudly hated Jews.

Think generally that conversation needs to be more broadly about celebrating everyone’s work and achievements without putting the people themsleves on pedestals (figuratively and literally).
    Even in his art you get the distinct impression that he hates people in general, especially children.

Imagine if Roald Dahl had been around at the same time as Twitter.
  • Decks 15 Sep 2020 10:39:46 28,427 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The day I disbanded the Gary Glitter fanclub was one of the darkest days of my life.
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 10:41:44 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, ive seen it hand waved away with a 'he disliked all people equally' because he was a generally horrible person but the hitler things was particularly gross.

The Rowling thing is a killer, too. HP just means so much to so many people. I mean, my daughter is still enraptured by it. Its going to be heartbreaking when she finds out what an arsehole she is.
  • DFawkes 15 Sep 2020 10:45:22 32,747 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is that story even a good idea for any author? Like even the nicest author in the world with a free pass to write whatever they like without consequence would probably pass on that story for now. Doesn't even sound that interesting.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:48:20 15-09-2020
  • Mola_Ram 15 Sep 2020 10:49:29 25,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, ive seen it hand waved away with a 'he disliked all people equally' because he was a generally horrible person but the hitler things was particularly gross.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to handwave it or anything. There are different levels of horribleness, and yeah that specific thing is even worse.

I guess in his case at least it was mostly only broadcast to the people who knew him personally. As opposed to the entire world.
  • Tonka 15 Sep 2020 10:50:59 31,562 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I talked to a friend who had heard that men in the UK will be able to get a pass that allows them into female toilets and changing rooms. According to my friend this would just be a matter of sending an email saying you wanted one.

She was really worried about this (despite not living in the UK) because she has had her run ins with pervs (like basically all women) and she thought this would lead t a bunch of pervs sitting in changing rooms oogling women.

Now, I probably should look at this thing and see wether or not it's based in truth. But I can see the fear of having pervs and edge lords abusing any such system. The fear wasn't of trans women but of male assholes.

That's what I though JK was about to begin with. But then she just kept digging herself deeper and deeper into ... well citing debunked trans ideas and writing fiction that supports her case.
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 11:08:19 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to handwave it or anything. There are different levels of horribleness, and yeah that specific thing is even worse.

I guess in his case at least it was mostly only broadcast to the people who knew him personally. As opposed to the entire world.
    Sorry, didnt mean you in particular. Ive just seen this used to reframe him as a curmudgeon rather than an actual racist.

Its the same logic people use for idiots like Bernard Manning.
  • Psychotext 15 Sep 2020 11:18:39 69,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm so glad JK has removed all doubt. It was getting infuriating trying to explain to people why she's a massively bigoted, hateful, asshole.

Also, pass or not you'd have to have a massive set of brass balls to sit in a women's changing rooms as a man. Does that really seem like it's likely to become a thing... or is it more likely that it's being used as a strawman against transwomen?
  • Tuffty 15 Sep 2020 11:20:19 4,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Now, I probably should look at this thing and see wether or not it's based in truth. But I can see the fear of having pervs and edge lords abusing any such system. The fear wasn't of trans women but of male assholes
    Pardon me if this comes across as crass or ignorant, but I would say that if someone was going to intrude in a public womens bathroom to assault women then they're going to do it regardless of identifying as either a man or woman or how the bathroom is labelled. A sex pest is a sex pest no matter what. To that end, the chances of it happening are thereabouts the same as they are now.

Edited by Tuffty at 11:21:00 15-09-2020
  • Mola_Ram 15 Sep 2020 11:23:06 25,163 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems to me that if you really wanted to get inside a women's bathroom to assault someone, you'd just need to open the door. Being in a clever disguise is not going to change much, you'd at best give your victim an extra couple seconds of confusion.

EDIT: see above :p

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:23:37 15-09-2020
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 11:23:13 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 11:23:13 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its the same hateful 'gays are all pedos so dont leave them with your children' rhetoric people use to persecute homosexuals, clutching your pearls that every trans person is a potential rapist.

A sex pest is a sex pest. Designating him/her a bathroom isnt going to make any difference. Its handwringing to hide their prejudices behind.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:24:10 15-09-2020
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 11:24:33 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hah, wow, jinx.
  • Tuffty 15 Sep 2020 11:26:43 4,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Great minds think alike!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Sep 2020 11:27:23 22,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It’s the same logic as ‘male childcarers might be pedos’ or ‘gay people in the army might be rapists’ or whatever.

If you immediately leap to people probably (or even possibly) having some sort of sinister agenda behind their identity, then you are a bigot.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Sep 2020 11:27:41 22,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fuck’s sake...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 11:27:50 16,076 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tonka it’s not true. Not in the sense that it sounds like your friend believes.

Trans women are allowed to use female facilities and some feminists believe this is men gaining access to women’s spaces (to hugely over simplify it)

It’s not like you order one of these and get on with it
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/668999282/adults-funny-comedy-t-shirt-fathers-day
  • sport 15 Sep 2020 11:28:50 16,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ECHO CHAMBER!!!!!!!!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.