They’ve been absolute heroes recently
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Sep 2020 11:43:06 26,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also their Twitter led me to Ian Brown's who it turns out is a troother
  • Dougs 15 Sep 2020 11:52:38 95,396 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I was having this conversation with a group of old school mates, who seem to think that trans is bullshit, outside of a small group of genuine cases, and that kids are being encouraged by schools to transition. It hadn't occurred to them that kids are unlikely to dress as the opposite gender just to ogle someone's tits/cock. No critical thinking as to why more younger people are looking to transition or anything. Just the same reaction as seen for other minorities as described above.
  • creepiest-lizard 15 Sep 2020 11:57:05 1,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Decks
    I don't know why as I know almost nothing about him bar the music but that doesn't remotely surprise me.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Sep 2020 12:03:55 20,714 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm confused as to what her endgame is here. She can't keep playing this game of her acting as if people are miscontruing what she's saying, it's clear as day.
  • drhickman1983 15 Sep 2020 12:06:16 7,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's never discussed how, if trans folks have to use the bathroom of their birth gender, there will be trans men having to use the female bathroom. I can imagine that could be a bit awkward because (based on anecdotal evidence) some trans men are more masculine than quite than quite a few cis gendered blokes (me included).

It's almost like it's some weird misogyny against trans women.

Not to mention I imagine a trans woman using a man's bathroom is going to be open to a lot of abuse.

*To be clear, in no way did I mean to imply that trans men would be a certain threat to women in female bathrooms, just that it would be awkward for all concerned.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 12:09:18 15-09-2020
  • Tonka 15 Sep 2020 12:14:17 31,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    @Tonka it’s not true. Not in the sense that it sounds like your friend believes.

Trans women are allowed to use female facilities and some feminists believe this is men gaining access to women’s spaces (to hugely over simplify it)
    I thought that things had probably gotten blown out of proportions. I find myself in situations where someone says something and I think "That can't be true" more and more often. Then, by the time I've checked it up and it turns out not to be true, it's too late to do much about it.

This I didn't even look into.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Sep 2020 12:20:12 10,571 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's incredibly depressing and very badly timed given that the usual chuckleheads of QAnon and others of the political right extreme are currently peddling that the senate bill 145, which is about changing laws that discrimiate against LGBTQ people in sex crime cases (different obligations for sentencing for vaginal versus oral and anal) is actually a bill for making paedophilia legal.

The exact same 'reasoning' behind Rowling's transphobia is displayed here. Different = alien, predatory and illegal
  • Tonka 15 Sep 2020 12:53:03 31,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Seems to me that if you really wanted to get inside a women's bathroom to assault someone, you'd just need to open the door. Being in a clever disguise is not going to change much, you'd at best give your victim an extra couple seconds of confusion.

In her mind it wasn't a question of people pretending to be trans to get a bathroom pass. Or predators willing to do illegal actions.

Somehow she had come to the conclusion that any straight cis male could get a womens bathroom pass and then spend the day there looking at ladies with a smug grin on their face. And no one would be able to throw them out because "Womens Bathroom Pass Issued by Her Majesty".

It would be issued, no questions asked, to anyone who wanted it.

And this is what my friend (well, my wives friend) said JK Rowling was talking about. (Which she probably learned from Facebook).

I find that I always get stumped by big lies like that. I think "it can't be right" and then google it later. But the person telling the lie just keeps on spreading it.

And that is a real problem, lies spread faster than the truth.. I'm not sure what can be done about it. I think I'll start whipping my phone out and live googling the next time someone tells me some wild shit they read on Facebook.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Sep 2020 12:58:05 20,714 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka

Really, I thought it was more that for her it was a convenient way of creating more distrust and panic about trans people by linking them to men who sexually attack women? Because obviously for her trans women are still men and by that rationale they want to sexually assault women.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 12:59:58 14,571 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tonka it’s kind of incredible the degree to which as a society we’ve lost our basic smell test for stories like these.

So much is taken at face value that even a moments pause should set off alarm bells. Like you say a headline like that surely the only reaction must be “that can’t be right” because it sounds so unlikely, so incredible, that it just goes beyond anything you’d expect to see happening in real life
  • Tonka 15 Sep 2020 13:10:25 31,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

Oh no, and I think that was why I got so stumped. The old "Men will pretend to be trans women to gain access to bathrooms" is so well trodden that it's easy to have a discussion about.

But this was a complete new level. And I've no idea where it all came from. Good faith reading, it was just my wives friend getting it wrong. Not fully understanding the article that was linked, or not reading it beyond the headline and then making up her own mind as to what it was about.

Or

Someone made that shit up and posted it.

Because I haven't seen any articles about te UK Gov handing out bathroom passes, no questions asked.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 13:16:32 14,571 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let’s face it, like everyone’s already said, sexual predators aren’t going to wait for permission. It’s pretty much their brand identity not to.
  • robthehermit 15 Sep 2020 14:51:55 7,955 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka From what little I've read and heard, I suspect it came from the Scottish government proposing an amendment to the Gender Recognition Act 2004 moving the issuing of certificates from the Gender Recognition Panel (who require among other things a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria) to the Registrar General (who doesn't). I'm assuming that various anti trans groups jumped on this and proclaimed it as giving a certificate to any one who wants one without any checks.
  • Tonka 15 Sep 2020 14:55:22 31,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @robthehermit that seems very likely.

Wasn't there some Göring quote about the best lies containing a nugget of truth? (he said not bothering a quick Google)
  • TheSaint 15 Sep 2020 15:38:21 19,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not to mention this Strike stuff is pretty rubbish. Well, the TV show is anyway. Pretty telling that these books were being totally ignored until it conveniently got leaked that she'd written them.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Sep 2020 15:47:51 26,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just a poor mans Striker!
  • Your-Mother 15 Sep 2020 17:17:13 4,728 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Honestly you can find a ton of borderline problematic stuff in HP itself if you look close enough. Most obvious is the hook nosed small people running the financial sectors. Then there’s stuff like the white people having fantastical whimsical names, and any minorities having normal and/or stereotypical sounding names (“Cho Chang”, “Patil”) and relegated mostly to tokenism.

Obviously a lot of this can be written off as unintentional or overreaching but there’s quite a bit there.
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Sep 2020 17:20:52 13,046 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She's as bigoted as she is unimaginative.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Sep 2020 17:25:01 10,571 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm guessing the TERF army are circling the wagons
  • chopsen 15 Sep 2020 17:35:27 21,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The big hitters are weighing in on it now

https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1305810570239766528
    "Instagram-JEPICPICS New Album Out Now Business Enquiries: PlanetJedwardLtd@gmail.com"

Their professional business enquiries are via a gmail account. Truly they've hit the big time.
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Sep 2020 17:41:22 13,046 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd still be the meat in that sex sandwich before I'd blow Simian Brown.
  • nickthegun 15 Sep 2020 17:42:27 82,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The flip side is that also implies they are doing it all themselves which is kind of smart
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 17:43:36 14,571 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Not to mention this Strike stuff is pretty rubbish. Well, the TV show is anyway. Pretty telling that these books were being totally ignored until it conveniently got leaked that she'd written them.
    I’ve read the first book and watched all the tv show. It’s alright but it is an journey through every cliche and trope of the genre
  • JamboWayOh 15 Sep 2020 17:58:37 20,714 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Honestly you can find a ton of borderline problematic stuff in HP itself if you look close enough. Most obvious is the hook nosed small people running the financial sectors. Then there’s stuff like the white people having fantastical whimsical names, and any minorities having normal and/or stereotypical sounding names (“Cho Chang”, “Patil”) and relegated mostly to tokenism.

Obviously a lot of this can be written off as unintentional or overreaching but there’s quite a bit there.
    You know what, I never even thought about all that stuff until you mentioned it.
  • creepiest-lizard 15 Sep 2020 18:17:56 1,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And she ripped all the non racist better stuff off of Prachett.
  • anephric 15 Sep 2020 18:40:50 4,334 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not sure Harry Potter or Ron Weasley are fantastical, whimsical names.

But yes, Harry Plopper = Shit.
  • chopsen 15 Sep 2020 18:49:19 21,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:

I'm not going to tell you how many times I read this and assumed you meant HP Lovecraft and though "well, yeah..."

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.