The Woke AF Thread Page 156

• TheSaint 15 Sep 2020 18:54:53 19,877 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Not to mention this Strike stuff is pretty rubbish. Well, the TV show is anyway. Pretty telling that these books were being totally ignored until it conveniently got leaked that she'd written them.
    Iíve read the first book and watched all the tv show. Itís alright but it is an journey through every cliche and trope of the genre
    With a bonus will they wonít they between a boss and his employee for added me too complications.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 19:22:24 14,571 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Not to mention this Strike stuff is pretty rubbish. Well, the TV show is anyway. Pretty telling that these books were being totally ignored until it conveniently got leaked that she'd written them.
    Iíve read the first book and watched all the tv show. Itís alright but it is an journey through every cliche and trope of the genre
    With a bonus will they wonít they between a boss and his employee for added me too complications.
    Leave your awful rapey husband to get off with your boss?

Such a bad hand for the best character in the series
  • neilka 16 Sep 2020 16:58:39 23,544 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The domain eurogamer.gay has been available for an hour and hasn't been registered, I think this means ReedPOP hates gay people?
  • nudistpete 16 Sep 2020 17:06:07 1,246 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has "PrayAwayThe.gay" been registered by reedpops? If so that should give you a definitive look into their homophobia.
  • Lukus 16 Sep 2020 18:24:57 23,565 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They're going with eurogaymer.cum
  • Lukus 16 Sep 2020 18:25:18 23,565 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Which is pretty progressive of them
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2020 12:56:33 67,470 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    "Britain doesn't have a racism problem"

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Alex%20Scott%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends
  • TheSaint 17 Sep 2020 12:57:32 19,877 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A perfect storm of sexism and racism IMO.
  • richarddavies 17 Sep 2020 13:07:45 7,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just thought. A few days ago we had a woman call up where I work (an industrial door manufacturer) to make a complaint about a manager of ours. We also provide a training course for engineers to learn about different kinds of doors, dock levellers etc and this lady asked for prices and availability on some courses for her and a few of her staff.

Our doors manager emailed her back along the lines of " here's the prices and availability....but just to warn you these courses might not be suitable for you as a woman as there's a bit of physical work involved and you might not like it. You have to wear some kind of steel toe cap on the course as well which you probably won't have"

My heart just sank as I read it.
  • sport 17 Sep 2020 13:10:37 16,273 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Just thought. A few days ago we had a woman call up where I work (an industrial door manufacturer) to make a complaint about a manager of ours. We also provide a training course for engineers to learn about different kinds of doors, dock levellers etc and this lady asked for prices and availability on some courses for her and a few of her staff.

Our doors manager emailed her back along the lines of " here's the prices and availability....but just to warn you these courses might not be suitable for you as a woman as there's a bit of physical work involved and you might not like it. You have to wear some kind of steel toe cap on the course as well which you probably won't have"

My heart just sank as I read it.
    tbf though, they're not very agile in those short, tight miniskirts.
  • Trowel 17 Sep 2020 13:13:09 23,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Seems reasonable given he sounds the sort who would have checked her Facebook profile beforehand.
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2020 13:18:19 67,470 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Not really sexism given the current presenter that's being replaced...

The real irony is, Alex Scott is if anything over qualified for the job.
  • Jono62 17 Sep 2020 13:25:27 25,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

I'm reading through it and it is a lot of people defending her. I guess it was different earlier.

Although supercunt Kelvin doesn't disappoint

https://twitter.com/kelvmackenzie/status/1306528655405965315
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2020 13:27:24 67,470 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    I'm reading through it and it is a lot of people defending her. I guess it was different earlier.
    It's the usual way negative trends go. There are plenty of obviously racist posts in there still (and the replies to them).
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Sep 2020 13:29:30 14,571 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

I think sexism plays a part because of the kind of people complaining and because Scott has been pursued by very similar complaints for her whole broadcasting career despite being successful at her sport, a qualified journalist and good at broadcasting
  • nickthegun 17 Sep 2020 13:29:39 82,940 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Literally the same people who lost their minds when Barker replaced Coleman.
  • Jono62 17 Sep 2020 13:34:05 25,557 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psychotext Definitely and they always seems to be 'proud' of something.
  • Lukus 17 Sep 2020 14:00:36 23,565 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    These people are mental. She's young and hot. Sue Barker isn't.

*Not woke at all*
  • JamboWayOh 17 Sep 2020 14:34:42 20,717 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Literally the same people who lost their minds when Barker replaced Coleman.
    I think they just like complaining.
  • RGeefe 17 Sep 2020 14:59:52 1,308 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    The big hitters are weighing in on it now

https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1305810570239766528
    "Instagram-JEPICPICS New Album Out Now Business Enquiries: PlanetJedwardLtd@gmail.com"

Their professional business enquiries are via a gmail account. Truly they've hit the big time.
    That was my biggest take away as well. I also have to feel like they probably run it themselves.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 17 Sep 2020 15:06:05 20,618 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One interesting point that doesnít seem to be coming up is the blatant ageism/sexism in getting rid of Barker in the first place. Coleman was well into his 70s when he gracefully retired. Barker has been unceremoniously axed for a younger model.
  • Nazo 17 Sep 2020 15:19:17 1,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nothing against them personally but the 3 of them have been doing it for what feels like forever. Didn't they use to change the captains round more often?
  • RGeefe 17 Sep 2020 15:35:20 1,308 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't watched it in forever but it's probably a contract vs audience figures thing. They probably want to go younger, which the BBC is DESPERATE to do, so have decided to change it up.

I'd also reckon you'll see Peter Crouch and Flintoff as captains. They're both being groomed for it.
  • JamboWayOh 17 Sep 2020 15:51:16 20,717 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bring on the BANTZ
  • Nexus_6 17 Sep 2020 16:06:14 5,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    QoS has to be the absolute shittest quiz program on telly.
  • nickthegun 17 Sep 2020 16:13:18 82,940 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    One interesting point that doesnít seem to be coming up is the blatant ageism/sexism in getting rid of Barker in the first place. Coleman was well into his 70s when he gracefully retired. Barker has been unceremoniously axed for a younger model.
    This is kind of where it gets thorny. You have to freshen up shows every now and then and, at a near quarter of a century, shes had a far longer innings than coleman.

Dont forget, they are also giving tuffers the boot, too, so it does look like a format refresh to chase a bit of a younger audience rather than 'youre old, fuck off' but if you *do* let someone have this long a tenure, its always going to be controversial when you get rid of them, even if its with the best intentions.
  • RGeefe 17 Sep 2020 16:17:05 1,308 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She was (at last BBC figures release) on the £200-204k per year bracket of salaries, as part of their UK tennis coverage and other BBC v/o and presenting work.

So let's all have some perspective on this.
  • Lukus 17 Sep 2020 17:11:34 23,565 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think she's terrible personally, so I couldn't give AF. And she must be well into retirement age by now.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 17 Sep 2020 17:21:03 20,618 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You do have to freshen things. But there is an ongoing and very clear problem with the BBC (and everyone else) putting their older women presenters out to pasture much earlier than their male equivalents.

Itís complex and thorny yes. But Iíd have thought she was an obvious candidate for them to do better in this respect.
  • mothercruncher 17 Sep 2020 18:47:27 18,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I donít know if thatís a BBC specific issue, though youíd hope theyíd be better on it.
    News is chock full of silver haired male anchors and their hot young female counterparts worldwide.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.