Following The Woke AF Thread Page 182

• ResidentKnievel 19 Feb 2021 23:19:20 7,514 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    42. Trans but I'm white and pass, I don't feel particularly under-privileged in day to day life. Things were hard when I was penniless and couldn't get decent work for years but now I'm doing okay for myself.

Being white just makes life so much easier - A South Asian, Muslim colleague was telling me today how she was struggling to adopt a cat, she's had to use a fake English name to get shelters/breeders to reply to her enquiries and when she turned up at one breeder she was told "we don't let your kind adopt cats."

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 23:19:53 19-02-2021
  • JamboWayOh 19 Feb 2021 23:38:13 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:

Being white just makes life so much easier - A South Asian, Muslim colleague was telling me today how she was struggling to adopt a cat, she's had to use a fake English name to get shelters/breeders to reply to her enquiries and when she turned up at one breeder she was told "we don't let your kind adopt cats."
    Wtf?!
  • Tomo 19 Feb 2021 23:43:20 18,984 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    71. You lot make me sick.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2021 23:52:18 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember being in Japan once and wanted to rent a flat. And the real estate agent guy was very polite and apologetic as he explained that they didn't do business with foreigners.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:52:36 19-02-2021
  • Nanocrystal 19 Feb 2021 23:56:37 2,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Were you wearing your ram skull hat and sacrificial garb at the time?
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2021 23:58:16 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clearly they were just not on board with Hindu iconography.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 00:02:21 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyway, I definitely had it easy compared to other people I knew there. Knew an African American dude who often had people crossing to the other side of the road when they saw him walking towards them. Or giving him a wide berth on train seats, stuff like that.

I did have the cops called on me once, though. They were also very polite.
  • anephric 20 Feb 2021 00:14:02 4,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've read how hard it is to even rent a flat in Japan unless your employer supports you, if you're forrins. Knocks our quaint racism into a cocked hat.
  • uiruki 20 Feb 2021 00:16:27 5,667 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's OK, there are places that'll put you into a bedsit for the same price if you don't have a guarantor.
  • challenge_hanukkah 20 Feb 2021 06:29:33 13,766 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    You get arrested just for being white in Japan these days.

Seriously though, wtf?! Who called the cops on you and why?
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 06:57:21 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    You get arrested just for being white in Japan these days.

Seriously though, wtf?! Who called the cops on you and why?
    I was outside the block of flats where I lived, chatting with a Canadian friend of mine in broad daylight. Then two Japanese girls came out of another flat, saw us, then went back inside.

We thought nothing of it until two cops came and started talking to us. And I don't *know* that it was the girls who reported it, but I strongly suspect they did, because while we were talking to the police they hurried past and left on their bikes, sneaking little glances at us.

Like I said, though, the police were very polite. We weren't in trouble, they just wanted to know what we were doing, etc. I told them that I lived there, and that was that, basically.

Obviously this sort of shit happens on a regular basis to people not as privileged as me. But as someone who had never had that happen to them... yeah, it was a bit weird.
  • sport 20 Feb 2021 08:23:55 16,679 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hate loiterers outside my place as well. Mola got what he deserved.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 08:25:01 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IT WAS YOU
  • chopsen 20 Feb 2021 08:26:57 21,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's why the Japanese are obsessed with robots. They hate immigration as much if not more than anyone, and they have a falling fertility rate. Someone's got to do all those jobs as they all get crumbly.

Tfic.
  • hedben2013 20 Feb 2021 08:32:33 1,970 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrWorf wrote:
    How Privileged are you?

31 out of 100, not very it seems. My wife got 80 so combined we're super privileged lol.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you?bfsource=bfocompareon
    WTF, I got 46? I was expecting around 80. Not sure how it weights the fact I was bullied once, don't have a place of worship for my religion (atheism) in my town, and have been the only member of my race in a room (with one other person in it).

EDIT- false alarm, I am an idiot who answered some of the "I have never..." questions incorrectly by not ticking the checkbox next to the situation I'd never experienced. Scored 77.

Edited by hedben2013 at 08:45:33 20-02-2021
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 08:36:09 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    That's why the Japanese are obsessed with robots. They hate immigration as much if not more than anyone, and they have a falling fertility rate. Someone's got to do all those jobs as they all get crumbly.
    Yep, from what I can see this is basically true. Their falling birthrate is fucking them, but they just cannot bring themselves to accept higher immigration.

The worst I ever heard from someone there (aside from a guy who randomly pulled me aside to rant about the Korean mafia being responsible for all local crime), was from a Japanese-Brazilian factory worker I got to regularly drinking with. He was allowed to work there on account of his Japanese ancestry, but him and his similarly-heritaged co-workers were openly treated like absolute shit. Not "so sorry I'm racist" politeness, just full-on "half-breed trash" kind of stuff.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 08:38:04 20-02-2021
  • challenge_hanukkah 20 Feb 2021 08:54:33 13,766 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm starting to see why so many alt right bed wetters are so obsessed with anime.
  • sport 20 Feb 2021 09:09:15 16,679 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pixelated genitalia = superior race
  • Tonka 20 Feb 2021 10:22:01 31,651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Yep, from what I can see this is basically true. Their falling birthrate is fucking them,
    They should focus on fucking each other lolamirite?
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2021 10:29:00 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know if it's still the case, but a while back the media seemed pretty intent on blaming the failing economy on selfish millennials who didn't stay in a steady job, didn't want to have kids because it might cramp their swanky lifestyle, etc etc.

Similar to some of the conversations in Western societies, really, but to me the Japanese version seemed especially retrograde.
  • JamboWayOh 20 Feb 2021 10:33:45 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    chopsen wrote:

Not "so sorry I'm racist" politeness, just full-on "half-breed trash" kind of stuff.
    Yeah they really don't shy away from that shit do they. As in they really like to press home the point that you are different or impure.
  • ResidentKnievel 20 Feb 2021 11:26:08 7,514 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    ResidentKnievel wrote:

Wtf?!
    She was with her Dad at the time and said he just played in to it and wound the breeder up for a joke as he usually does in these situations, which is even more disheartening that theses things happen so regularly for them.
  • darrenb 20 Feb 2021 11:37:57 1,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • darrenb 20 Feb 2021 11:37:58 1,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I got 82, but I skipped the high school answered so that probably dropped it a little..

Had a car in high school and college???.. pfft, I left school at 16 😂

Edited by darrenb at 11:53:00 20-02-2021
  • JamboWayOh 22 Feb 2021 21:25:07 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For some bizarre reason, Ben Shapiro interviewing Gina Carano entered my YouTube recommendations. I watched a bit and what I took away was that she's incapable of introspection nor does she posses an iota of humility.
  • fontgeeksogood 22 Feb 2021 21:28:35 12,442 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Weird, I thought Ben would have a nuanced intellectual with a high EQ on his show
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Feb 2021 21:31:46 22,784 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím seeing a disappointing amount of people on my Twitter feed expressing a lot of sympathy for her and commenting on Hollywood hypocrisy.

Wiley as well appears to be back on Twitter with lots of support and sympathy.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Feb 2021 21:36:40 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Iím seeing a disappointing amount of people on my Twitter feed expressing a lot of sympathy for her and commenting on Hollywood hypocrisy.

Wiley as well appears to be back on Twitter with lots of support and sympathy.
    Well she brought out the classic slippery slope false equivalence commonly used by conservatives as to why something shouldn't be allowed and this is something that gets hand wringers to take people such as Carano at their word and believe their bollocks. As for Wiley, well we all know he's a racist cunt and unfortunately I'm well aware as a mixed brown man that some people find it difficult to call out other brown people, especially black people as racist and more specifically when it comes to anti semitism as you well know isn't treated that seriously in the general scope of racism. So fucking depressing.
  • Your-Mother 22 Feb 2021 21:38:24 6,572 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I get the feeling that itís effectively a career change for her now. She weighed up apology, retrospection and recovery, climbing the hill again, vs playing it up (not hugely - itís clear sheís not a particularly progressive or pleasant person anyway) and milking the right wing darling circuit, and decided the latter is the path to go.

Basically the full Katie Hopkins route.
  • Psychotext 22 Feb 2021 23:38:46 69,731 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wonder if she'll ever think back to what things could have been like with that sweet, sweet Disney career moving her forward.

Oh well, I guess we'll see how well she can grift now.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.