The Woke AF Thread Page 3

• JamboWayOh 4 Feb 2019 20:50:52 11,157 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I wonder what Corbyn would look like in a twin set and pearls
    Pearls are an affectation of the bourgeoisie. C'mon man.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2019 20:53:40 76,528 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    However, on the flipside, women are starting to compete in a level playing field in games of skill.

There's a few women in the darts circuit and it's hilarious to see the panic on the mens faces when they are down.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Feb 2019 20:54:47 4,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Still wondering why sports matters so much. It feels pretty easy to make that an exception and respect physical biology
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 20:56:19 17,866 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Because thats what we're talking about. I've already said I couldn't give a shit about anything else.
  • up_the_ante 4 Feb 2019 20:58:28 884 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surely it depends on if and how long you've been having hormone replacement therapy? I mean if I just get my penis inverted and call myself Linda can I compete against women?
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Feb 2019 20:59:35 9,570 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    Surely it depends on if and how long you've been having hormone replacement therapy? I mean if I just get my penis inverted and call myself Linda can I compete against women?
    You always struck me as more of a Margaret.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2019 20:59:39 76,528 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It seems like a lot of effort just to win a medal.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Feb 2019 20:59:53 13,671 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Well, it’s mostly a social construct once you get past the differences in genitalia, which as far as I understand don’t play a huge role in boxing.

The problem with the men vs women in sport argument is that men have the advantage of their sports beings taken more seriously on every level from an early age. Better diet, training, sport science, more money, more expertise and and and... Balance all that out and then we can have a more meaningful discussion about whether men and women of the same weight class can fairly fight each other.

But that aside, if women of the same weight class want to box Pacquiao I don’t see why they shouldn’t.
    You think the only difference between the make up of men and womans body is their genitalia? It's immeasurably easier for a man to put on muscle than woman. Theres really no argument to be had about it.

And its not a case of women of the same weight class wanting to box him. It's the fact that they would have no choice but to do so. And it would be incredibly dangerous for the woman if they did.
    You’ve swerved the bulk of that post to focus on what was clearly a flip comment.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 21:08:23 17,866 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wasn't my intention. Men can put on muscle far easier than men, regardless of how much we improve the support of womens sports. It will never be a level playing field.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Feb 2019 21:08:56 13,671 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Because thats what we're talking about. I've already said I couldn't give a shit about anything else.
    Well, it wasn’t what we were talking about until you and Load came along, and the point made was essentially that sport is proof that you can’t be a woman just because you choose to identity as one (because sport).

Again, I think nearly every argument that comes up in these discussions - sport, toilets, changing rooms, prisons etc - can be at least somewhat addressed by challenging a lot of the social norms around these things in the first place. Getting down to one specific sport (and one specific contender in that specific sport) is pretty granular and perhaps is simply an exception like PES says. But I also maintain that a lot of arguments around this is based on deeply rooted assumptions of gender norms that aren’t necessarily true.

And also ‘throwing logic out the window for the sake of being progressive’ is literally a synonym for ‘political correctness gone mad’.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 21:11:48 17,866 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    OK then, I feel that allowing transgender men to compete in womens sports is political correctness gone mad if that's better.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Feb 2019 21:12:15 13,671 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Wasn't my intention. Men can put on muscle far easier than men, regardless of how much we improve the support of womens sports. It will never be a level playing field.
    It doesn’t need to be level. The question is whether some women could beat some men at the highest level.

Take Serena Williams. Ok, she lost to Federer, but he’s probably the greatest of all time. Do you not think she could have beaten a fair few professional male tennis players? Or do you think all male tennis players are better than all female ones?
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Feb 2019 21:13:50 4,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    My mum could beat Henman and she's been dead 3 years
  • nudistpete 4 Feb 2019 21:14:44 492 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If Wii Sports comes out for switch we should protest that Nintendo adds transgender mii's so we can settle this argument for good.
  • H1ggyLTD 4 Feb 2019 21:20:22 11,500 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    COME ON TIM!
  • neilka 4 Feb 2019 21:23:17 22,376 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tim Henperson
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Feb 2019 21:24:46 25,415 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Black women have far greater bone density than white women, I imagine we should have black events and white events.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2019 21:25:39 19,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 21:25:53 17,866 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It doesn’t need to be level. The question is whether some women could beat some men at the highest level.

Take Serena Williams. Ok, she lost to Federer, but he’s probably the greatest of all time. Do you not think she could have beaten a fair few professional male tennis players? Or do you think all male tennis players are better than all female ones?
    Why do you keep trying to put words on my mouth? Of course I don't think all male tennis players are better than female tennis players. But they do have huge advantages in strength and stamina. Evident in the amount of games they play.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Feb 2019 21:26:00 4,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Decks, are you worried your artwork might become controversial
  • Load_2.0 4 Feb 2019 21:26:00 28,574 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I shudder to think how Ecosse discovered that fact.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 21:26:36 04-02-2019
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Feb 2019 21:31:40 3,969 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thread needs MrTomFTWomen.
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Feb 2019 21:33:19 9,570 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I shudder to think how Ecosse discovered that fact.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 21:26:36 04-02-2019
    Gnawing on his victims.
  • Nanocrystal 4 Feb 2019 21:35:56 1,768 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z For his opinions on women in wrestling?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Feb 2019 21:36:25 13,671 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Decks wrote:

Why do you keep trying to put words on my mouth? Of course I don't think all male tennis players are better than female tennis players. But they do have huge advantages in strength and stamina. Evident in the amount of games they play.
    There’s all sorts of advantages and disadvantages in sport. And those will manifest differently across every single different sport, not just in terms of gender, but in height, weight, ethnicity, social economic background and many many other factors.

I honestly don’t know what the fairest possible way to classify the nature of competition in any given sport is, but I suspect that there may be some archaic historical notions at play in at least some of the conventions.

So what I’m saying is, perhaps the introduction of transgender competitors should be seen as an opportunity to challenge some of these conventions, rather than outright dismissal.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Feb 2019 21:40:45 4,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    A biologically born man will never be as good at Remembering Things Which Have Wronged Them as a transgender man
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Feb 2019 21:41:05 4,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Not sure if that's a sport tho
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2019 21:46:55 22,413 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There’s the advantage of being able to compete all month round too
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Feb 2019 21:48:18 4,648 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    My da took his "girls aren't good drummers because their boobs get in the way" opinion to the grave
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Feb 2019 21:50:14 13,671 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The real problem with Glinner’s crusade is that he uses these arguements in such a cynical way. He makes out like the reason transgender people exist is to give them an advantage, so that failed male atheletes can dominate female sports, or male rapists can get into women’s prisons etc etc.

In reality these are ludicrously niche examples, but by putting them at the heart of the ‘debate’ (hate the common usage of this word in this context) it helps fuel the ‘political correctness gone mad’ narrative surrounding it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.