Following The Woke AF Thread Page 270

• Nanocrystal 20 Jul 2021 08:14:31 2,520 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I have some bad news about Santa too
    Is he finally being called out for giving better presents to rich kids?
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 09:36:27 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cancelled for making a joke over two decades ago!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Jul 2021 09:44:02 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Cancelled for making a joke over two decades ago!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885
    Right, I don’t think there is a statute of limitation on Holocaust ‘jokes’.

You add thick piece of shit aren’t you Wayne.
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 09:45:38 7,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do feel some unease at people losing jobs or being piled on for historic remarks.

I know I've said some dumb shit in my youth, not even believing it but just trying to be edgy and fit in with my peers. If I had social media back then I may well have committed it too the internet.

It kind of supposes that people don't change, which pretty much means we may as well kill criminals as they can never reform.

Equally you can't defend somebody in the now by pointing back at their past progressive actions. People don't always change for the better.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 09:46:48 22-07-2021
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 09:57:29 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 "You add thick piece of shit aren’t you Wayne."

Sorry, what?
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 09:59:22 8,011 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It’s fairly obvious what he means even with the typo. But you are a thick piece of shit so it’s understandable.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Jul 2021 10:05:28 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3 "You add thick piece of shit aren’t you Wayne."

Sorry, what?
    Missed the typo… but seriously Wayne. You need to think before you post sometimes.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jul 2021 10:10:43 26,050 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm ok with it sometimes, not ok with it other times. I can't say that someone getting fired for stuff they did in the past is always wrong, because it depends on how bad it was, how long ago it was, who got hurt by it, whether they've acknowledged it or apologised, whether they've actually changed, etc etc.

I think just about everyone has some line at which they'd say "ok, that's enough, this person doesn't get to easily move on from this". The question is where you draw that line.

So I agree that some dumb comments about the holocaust a couple of decades ago probably shouldn't get someone cancelled forever and ever. But just last page there was the guy who abused disabled kids in high school. He should have fucking gone to jail. Fuck that guy.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 10:18:15 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I love how you lay straight into me, and don't even respond to DrHickman who defended the dude, while all I did was link the story.

Edited by Wayne at 10:19:23 22-07-2021
  • minky-kong 22 Jul 2021 10:20:37 14,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Let he who is without sin (or has ragequit and re-registered so their previous edgelord comments have disappeared) cast the first stone.
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 10:21:32 8,011 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    “All I did was link to the story in a thread called ‘woke AF’ name dropping cancel culture” is the new “guys I’m just asking questions” I suppose.

Either that or this is groundwork for defense of the dodgy blackface Holocaust denial video lurking in Wayne’s past.

Edited by Your-Mother at 10:21:41 22-07-2021
  • challenge_hanukkah 22 Jul 2021 10:22:54 14,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He was 25 when he made this 'joke'. I don't really think we could excuse it with saying it was youthful hijinks.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 10:23:24 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Let he who is without sin (or has ragequit and re-registered so their previous edgelord comments have disappeared) cast the first stone.
    Who's that aimed at?
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 10:23:58 7,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the cases where there was physical or mental harm caused, as in the bullying example, or historic crimes, I do think it's a slightly different matter.

A dumb, inappropriate remark or "joke" from years ago should be questioned, but if the individual renounces the remark I think it's fair to move on.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 10:26:24 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Your-Mother Just admit it, you over reacted.
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 10:27:12 8,011 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The problem comes that it’s compound. You’ve had the horrendous child abuser, the “Olympig” thing and now this. It’s hard to say that it in isolation would have led to much (especially as this isn’t Western Woke-ism, given most of Twitter seemed blissfully unaware of this before the announcement) but they have a giant spotlight on them as far as conduct goes right now because of the seemingly endless line of fuck ups and controversies they’re making.
  • Kay 22 Jul 2021 10:27:58 21,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 10:28:50 7,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    He was 25 when he made this 'joke'. I don't really think we could excuse it with saying it was youthful hijinks.
    People can still grow and change as adults.

I've not been able to find what the actual joke was or how poor taste it is, but it was part of a comedy sketch.

If I look back at comedy sketches I do know, there are plenty of cases of inappropriate humour - black face had been used by Little Britain, or David Badiel. The comedians there have both renounced those sketches since.

The hardcore punk band Bad Brains were pretty homophobic at times, but have since renounced their previous remarks and lyrics.

If people can't change and develop and reform then that's the entire criminal justice system fucked.
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 10:33:33 7,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or it's like when twitter piled into Liam Neeson when he admitted having racist thoughts once, even though he was admitting he was wrong.
  • Kay 22 Jul 2021 10:36:13 21,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    In the cases where there was physical or mental harm caused, as in the bullying example, or historic crimes, I do think it's a slightly different matter.

A dumb, inappropriate remark or "joke" from years ago should be questioned, but if the individual renounces the remark I think it's fair to move on.
    Yep. I do think it's silly when someone gets cancelled for the odd dodgy remark or social media post they made years ago. Actually bullying someone to the extent that person did, though, is pretty much inexcusable I think.
  • minky-kong 22 Jul 2021 10:36:26 14,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Who's that aimed at?
    No one in particular, most of the users here are on at least their second profile.
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Jul 2021 10:36:30 3,332 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He does piss himself a lot though. Never trust someone that pisses themselves that much.
  • Nazo 22 Jul 2021 10:37:27 1,902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So... how about that Blizzard culture eh? https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-22-state-of-california-sues-activision-blizzard-over-frat-boy-culture

Sounds pretty fucking horrendous, I can't imagine working in a place like that it boggles my mind that this stuff actually happens.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Jul 2021 10:41:54 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Who's that aimed at?
    No one in particular, most of the users here are on at least their second profile.
    Me :) it was aimed at me. Also, I still have my shitty wii I phase comments available to view :|
  • minky-kong 22 Jul 2021 10:45:37 14,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Who's that aimed at?
    Me :) it was aimed at me. Also, I still have my shitty wii I phase comments available to view :|
    Won't they all show as "Deleted User" though? No one will be able to trace those outrageous comments you made about [REDACTED] back to you so you're golden.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Jul 2021 10:47:28 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here is me making a thread about benign garbage

https://community.eurogamer.net/thread/256178
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Jul 2021 10:47:45 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @minky-kong yeah but my first two were never deleted.
  • Lukus 22 Jul 2021 10:47:57 24,593 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whilst generally I think you should try and look for context with things like this, given how different trends in humour were twenty years ago, when you're prominently involved in the biggest sporting event in the world, it's probably fair enough if the organisation that employs you makes a swift cull like that to protect their brand.
  • RawShark 22 Jul 2021 10:55:17 2,056 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Or it's like when twitter piled into Liam Neeson when he admitted having racist thoughts once, even though he was admitting he was wrong.
    Not that I laid into him or anything, but I never understood why he decided to air that out in public? Like if you want to get something like that off your chest you go can go over it with a therapist, not on a talk show. It wasn't a career killer but he only had himself to blame.

It was a bit like that crazy moment when Jeremy Irons started thinking out loud live on air if civil partnerships meant a man could marry his son. It's so careless.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jul 2021 11:19:22 26,050 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Whilst generally I think you should try and look for context with things like this, given how different trends in humour were twenty years ago, when you're prominently involved in the biggest sporting event in the world, it's probably fair enough if the organisation that employs you makes a swift cull like that to protect their brand.
    Or, you know, actually vetting people before they hire them.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.