The Woke AF Thread Page 33

• challenge_hanukkah 21 Apr 2019 17:28:42 10,903 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heihachi?
  • anephric 21 Apr 2019 17:39:19 3,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yukio. Fetishised white gloves. Nearly won a Nobel prize. Committed seppuku trying to start a right-wing coup in the Emperor's name in the 70s.

That old chestnut.

Edited by anephric at 17:39:53 21-04-2019
  • drhickman1983 21 Apr 2019 17:58:24 5,922 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's weird how nobody cared enough to donate to the underfunded renovation before the fire burned it down.

Like we're okay to see things disintegrate, but it takes a big event to make us weepy.

And to be honest, I think the steeple looked shit, in that it didn't match the original building. I'm not sure the addition really added anything.
  • nudistpete 21 Apr 2019 19:09:38 749 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    We've lost so much of our history because people didn't think it was worth keeping; we don't need to lose any more.
    FYI I think this about games in this era of online stores. There will be games on locked down platforms that will be lost in the midsts of time and completely unplayable in their original form.

Yet people just don't give a fuck.
  • thelzdking 23 Apr 2019 04:43:21 9,409 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We weep for our martyr Sebastian.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Apr 2019 06:22:02 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    We've lost so much of our history because people didn't think it was worth keeping; we don't need to lose any more.
    FYI I think this about games in this era of online stores. There will be games on locked down platforms that will be lost in the midsts of time and completely unplayable in their original form.

Yet people just don't give a fuck.
    It's been a problem with every new medium. Most films made in the early 20th century are gone forever, mostly because they melted down the stock to recycle the silver nitrate for new films. Lots of TV shows are gone forever, and it's the same with games.

There are a few places dedicated to game preservation, but it's not easy. And the biggest real barrier is people (and therefore governments that fund preservation institutions) not caring.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:35:13 24-04-2019
  • Dougs 23 Apr 2019 07:14:54 89,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was listening to a radio article the other day about the original Star is Born with Judy Garland. After the first 2 weeks of the theatre run, execs got worried they couldn't cram enough shows in due to the 3hr run time, despite the good reviews etc. So cut half an hour from the film and then threw away the celluloid, so now there isn't a single version of the original that exists.
  • drhickman1983 23 Apr 2019 07:16:46 5,922 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MartyrSebastian150

Okay, let me put it another: most of the really-big post-fire donors didn't donate before.
  • anephric 23 Apr 2019 08:27:58 3,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Studios were still letting negs rot until the 70s as the ancillary markets at the time didn't justify spending money on preservation. It was home video that made them make an effort.
  • Dougs 23 Apr 2019 08:48:20 89,593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Studios were still letting negs rot until the 70s as the ancillary markets at the time didn't justify spending money on preservation. It was home video that made them make an effort.
    Indeed. This though was slightly different in that the production or studio head deliberately threw them away. Sad. (not that I've seen the film)
  • Mola_Ram 23 Apr 2019 09:22:01 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Well yeah, you can't really count on the producers of these things to preserve them, as they only see their value in terms of money. Nintendo is probably one of the best in terms of preserving their things, but this is only so they can hawk them to retro gamers. People probably spent thousands of hours making that great P.T. Silent Hills thing, but now it's gone forever because Konami pulled the plug.

Basically, if you really want to preserve stuff, then either private donors and/or the government need to get involved with funding and legislation.
  • anephric 23 Apr 2019 09:51:21 3,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is why so many films ended up in the hands of private collectors (in decades past) as they were the only ones interested in preserving them, especially after rights holders went bust (RKO etc).

Without getting all Walter Benjamin-y, games are a bit different as there's no "original" (like a film negative, but they're long gone now too) to preserve, just source code/assets. The frequency with which games companies seem to mislay these though is fairly alarming.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Apr 2019 09:55:18 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, there is an "original" in a sense, in that even digital things are stored, somewhere, in a physical shell. And those things can degrade just as easily as film stock, if not more easily.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2019 10:01:29 78,096 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I do love the story that, after EMI sold off their archives and sending the original 350 cans of film for landfill, the definitive version of The Wicker Man is now propping part of the M3

Edited by nickthegun at 10:01:55 23-04-2019
  • anephric 23 Apr 2019 10:01:37 3,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was being a bit philosophically wanky in that digital shouldn't be an issue to preserve, but even that's been an issue with technological obsolescence of software etc. Didn't even Pixar have issues getting old Renderman assets rerendered, and that's their own software.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Apr 2019 10:06:03 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you store a film canister properly and limit exposure to it, it can last for hundreds of years. I don't know of any digital format that can last that long, though it's probably because digital is still a relatively new thing and they haven't really had to think about that sort of stuff yet.
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Apr 2019 16:59:39 6,239 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    If you store a film canister properly and limit exposure to it, it can last for hundreds of years. I don't know of any digital format that can last that long, though it's probably because digital is still a relatively new thing and they haven't really had to think about that sort of stuff yet.
    I have a USB stick which has been through the wash whilst 'de-gloved' (i.e. no plastic cover, just the port and bare PCB) at least twice and that still works.

I reckon they're indestructible
  • up_the_ante 24 Apr 2019 02:03:07 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On a slight side note; when Lawrence of Arabia got the 4k restoration treatment a few years ago they noticed a rippling artefact on the film that hadn't been evident on the lower fidelity versions previously released. They worked out that it had been caused by the heat of the desert melting it and cold of the night cracking it. They painstakingly restored it, so the new version is actually better than the original.

BTW they sampled it at 8k, so expect that version in a few years time too.
  • thelzdking 24 Apr 2019 04:12:54 9,409 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MartyrSebastian150 wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    We weep for our martyr Sebastian.
    Pluralis Majestatis. That's cute, since you're the LZD King. See, we all got our little schticks.
    Yeah, sure thing pal.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Apr 2019 12:26:02 10,571 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aussie comic tells Jewish person to "get back in the oven" is upset that people think it was antisemitic.

Also, it was the comeback to a heckle following a Holocaust joke.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/04/24/42872/the_mainstream_media_are_out_to_destroy_me
  • BigOrkWaaagh 24 Apr 2019 12:35:51 8,727 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I have a USB stick which has been through the wash whilst 'de-gloved' (i.e. no plastic cover, just the port and bare PCB) at least twice and that still works.

I reckon they're indestructible
    Please don't say de-gloved.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 24 Apr 2019 12:44:53 1,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gerald?
  • nickthegun 24 Apr 2019 12:58:00 78,096 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Aussie comic tells Jewish person to "get back in the oven" is upset that people think it was antisemitic.

Also, it was the comeback to a heckle following a Holocaust joke.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/04/24/42872/the_mainstream_media_are_out_to_destroy_me
    Im looking forward to Ricky Gervais' hot take on this
  • You-can-call-me-kal 24 Apr 2019 13:06:25 16,074 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's basically the same as the Count Dankula thing.

Comedians will always make offensive jokes. I think if those jokes are harmful to marginalised groups then platforms have the right to tell them to do one. I can't see how anyone should have any issue with that. De-platforming is not the same as censorship and that argument needs to stop being perpetuated.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Apr 2019 13:06:28 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was going to point out that he said "if you can't stand the heat get out of the oven", not "get back in the oven".

But then I saw all the other stuff he said, so that one misquote feels a bit nitpicky.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 24 Apr 2019 13:09:54 16,074 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On the autism thing, some of the comments about Greta Thurnberg going around are unreal. I think she's absolutely incredible.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 24 Apr 2019 14:03:03 1,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still massively confused as to why anyone would be against her. Even if you are mental enough to deny climate change - everything she's campaigning for will still make the world a cleaner better place.
  • thedaveeyres 24 Apr 2019 14:14:40 13,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Old people don't like young people. Apart from the paedos.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.