The SNP launch seemed quite impressive.

Maybe we should return to the border Emperor Hadrian defined
  • JamboWayOh 8 Nov 2019 14:23:58 15,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

Maybe we should return to the border Emperor Hadrian defined
    I would gladly vote for a wall to keep all the gammons together. Actually maybe not a walk, perhaps a concrete pen.
  • X201 8 Nov 2019 15:09:27 19,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just walked past the letter box and spotted a Brexit Party leaflet dangling from it like a flaccid penis

I miss the UKIP leaflets, at least I could have some fun finding all the spelling and punctuation mistakes in them.

Edited by X201 at 15:44:59 08-11-2019
  • AaronTurner 8 Nov 2019 15:31:04 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And what was in the prior box?
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2019 15:37:19 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Tories are writing their manifesto for them. A platform of 'they don't give a fuck about us' couldn't be any more of a tap in.

And, frankly, absolutely true.
  • X201 8 Nov 2019 15:45:28 19,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    And what was in the prior box?
    Fruitcakes, loonies and closet rascists

Edited by X201 at 15:46:09 08-11-2019
  • disusedgenius 8 Nov 2019 15:45:53 10,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Especially all the comments I see of 'lol they're leaving a Union to join a Union', when there's a very obvious 'they're leaving a Union with no veto to join a Union with a veto' response.
  • X201 8 Nov 2019 15:48:03 19,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Especially all the comments I see of 'lol they're leaving a Union to join a Union', when there's a very obvious 'they're leaving a Union with no veto to join a Union with a veto' response.
    Wonder if the SNP could be bought off with something like that?
    We'll rejig the union so that you get a veto, but your first task is to use it to get us out of this mess
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Nov 2019 15:48:37 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The Tories are writing their manifesto for them. A platform of 'they don't give a fuck about us' couldn't be any more of a tap in.

And, frankly, absolutely true.
    Problem is, Scotland has never been a Tory 'stronghold'. So they see the rise of the SNP as a way to keep Labour out of power. Neither Tory or Lab is going to agree to another Scottish referendum so it seems quite easy to let the SNP carry on, even if they are vehemently opposed to the Conservative party.
  • disusedgenius 8 Nov 2019 15:56:24 10,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    We'll rejig the union so that you get a veto, but your first task is to use it to get us out of this mess
    Maybe, but I expect they'll just take a referendum rather than try to fix anything long term. If Labour offer a EU Ref + Indy Ref package that might be enough (especially as the first basically dictates the outcome of the latter).
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Nov 2019 15:58:35 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Maybe, but I expect they'll just take a referendum rather than try to fix anything long term. If Labour offer a EU Ref + Indy Ref package that might be enough (especially as the first basically dictates the outcome of the latter).
    Corbs has said he would be open to IndyRef2 but not until we have left the EU and there is sufficient time between then and Scotland's requesting re entry for the process to be laborious.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 15:58:42 08-11-2019
  • disusedgenius 8 Nov 2019 16:05:31 10,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Corbs has said he would be open to IndyRef2 but not until we have left the EU and there is sufficient time between then and Scotland's requesting re entry for the process to be laborious.
    Might be that what the parties are banking on then - if Labour/SNP can agree something then that might be why the Lib Dems seem to think they won't have to prop anyone up.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Nov 2019 18:15:00 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Corbz says lots of things
  • RobAnybody 8 Nov 2019 19:06:41 1,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UK inquiry was warned of Russian infiltration, leaked testimony shows

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/08/uk/uk-russia-inquiry-intelligence-security-committee-gbr-intl/index.html
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 Nov 2019 20:04:43 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yet another racist Labour councillor. This one blames his antisemitism on Margaret Thatcher.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/08/gideon-bull-labour-candidate-pulls-out-of-election-over-shylock-remarks
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Nov 2019 20:48:06 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    'I'm too poorly educated to know whether or not I'm a racist' doesn't really stand with the great resignation statements of our time does it?
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 00:17:21 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Very uncomfortable with calling someone racist over that.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Nov 2019 05:19:11 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Regardless, assuming this is recent, it shows how Labour leadership don't appear to take this seriously - if we also take it on trust this person is truly just ignorant, why?! Where's the cultural sensitivity training
  • X201 9 Nov 2019 05:44:51 19,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Toryís keep it in the family, select wife to stand in seat while her husband, the former MP, stands down to fight three charges of sexual assault

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50354912
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 07:13:27 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Regardless, assuming this is recent, it shows how Labour leadership don't appear to take this seriously - if we also take it on trust this person is truly just ignorant, why?! Where's the cultural sensitivity training
    I think it's very easy to sit in the internet and point fingers at people and label them as racist, but in the real world people say stupid shit all the time without meaning it. I've personally never even heard the expression before so I wouldn't have a clue about it being racist.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 07:13:29 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I think it's very easy to sit in the internet and point fingers at people and label them as racist, but in the real world people say stupid shit all the time without meaning it. I've personally never even heard the expression before so I wouldn't have a clue about it being racist.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Nov 2019 07:40:10 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not knowing a racist expression, isnít the same as using a racist expression in a racist context then claiming you didnít know it was racist.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Nov 2019 07:44:09 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think itís very easy to sit on the internet and ignore all the obvious cases of racism, and throw doubt at the less obvious ones, all the time ignoring a clear broader pattern and showing zero empathy for why those making those accusations feel justifiably threatened.
  • mothercruncher 9 Nov 2019 07:49:14 16,719 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Does that red light dig in after a while?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 07:52:10 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If it was in isolation I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and he sounds like he's genuine enough in his contrition.

But given how much focus there has been on Labour and this exact form of racism in the last couple of years and the lengths the party claims to have gone in education, awareness and tackling these attitudes I'm not sure ignorance is all that credible a defence anymore.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Nov 2019 08:31:06 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís a pretty extraordinary piece of bad luck to direct an antisemitic term at a Jewish person without realising either that the term is antisemitic nor that the person is Jewish. I mean, what are the odds? Itís just incredible how regularly Labour accidentally do that.
  • Dougs 9 Nov 2019 08:34:11 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Is there a running list of the calamitous candidates that are having to pull out, across all parties? Utterly shambolic
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 08:34:56 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Like that poor Tory councillor who didn't realise n-word in a woodpile was racist?
  • Dougs 9 Nov 2019 08:35:34 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Very uncomfortable with calling someone racist over that.
    Come now, I fail to believe anyone using that term doesn't do so without knowing its origins or the connotations
  • Dougs 9 Nov 2019 08:36:21 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Itís a pretty extraordinary piece of bad luck to direct an antisemitic term at a Jewish person without realising either that the term is antisemitic nor that the person is Jewish. I mean, what are the odds? Itís just incredible how regularly Labour accidentally do that.
    Absolutely this.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.