Following UK Politics Thread Page 442

• AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 17:52:54 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    He wouldn't eat that named brand middle class filth. A shillings worth of toffee from the local corner shop guvnor.
    Or the 'paki shop' as AaronTurner calls it.

It's not racist or anything because reasons.
    This is the sort of nonsense that is constant on this thread. Honestly, what a load of bullshit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 17:56:27 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know Aaron said he was into calling the corner shop and Chinese takeaway racist names but no need to actually repeat one of them
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 17:58:33 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No I never said that and how you guys can think you're so morally correct is laughable. So many examples just in the last couple of pages why any politics talk on this forum is an absolute shambles.

Edited by AaronTurner at 17:59:20 09-11-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Nov 2019 17:59:22 11,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ...said the guy leaping to the defense of racists.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 17:59:32 09-11-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 18:00:40 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You used them as examples to minimise and explain away racism this morning. If you're into minimising and being an apologist for racist terminology that's on you
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 18:01:39 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ...said the guy leaping to the defense of racists.
    The real victims, apparently.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 18:02:52 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    You used them as examples to minimise and explain away racism this morning. If you're into minimising and being an apologist for racist terminology that's on you
    At least I don't make things up about other people mate. Enjoy your high throne.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 18:07:52 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You have definitely been siding with defences of the accused rather than trusting and believing the victims of racism in this thread.

That should pretty much be the most fundamental step in anyone's progressive politics.

You say you want to see the best in people but you only do it for the wrong uns not the wronged.

That's why everyone is arguing against you.
  • Dougs 9 Nov 2019 18:08:53 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    RichDC wrote:
    That is nonsense though. Maybe on a national level that holds some truth but in individual constituencies they're are definitely areas that don't just vote blue or red. I'd quite like Labour to win to be honest, but where I am is a straight choice between Paul Scully for the Tories and a Lib Dem councilor. Labour have never come close in Sutton and care so much about the area they only appear at election time and only actually named their candidate yesterday.
    Exactly the same. In Cheltenham the Tories and Labour each have 45% of the vote and it’s always very close. Labour languish down at 10% at best. I’d quite like to see what Labour could do too, but here a vote for anything other than Yellow or Blue is a vote pissed right into the electoral wind.
    Going to be interesting here. Traditionally Tory, been Tory for the last 20 years. But there was a spell of Lib Dems when people voted for avoid local MP. Last time out there was a swing to Labour for the first time I can remember. I think most of those votes will go to the Lib Dems this time
  • erasr 9 Nov 2019 18:10:42 366 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the Tories have done brilliantly these last 9 or however many years they’ve been in.

Taking over a disaster of a Labour government where they even left a note saying ‘there’s nothing in the bank’. All the illegal immigration they let in too.

Tories have done wonders for women, for example. They’ve launched new laws to protect women from domestic violence and in the aftermath (now one of the biggest problems for police) - something that was overlooked and missed by many voters.

People I know are wealthier than ever and employment is at its highest.

Brexit is an impossible task that’s been delayed because of Labour.

All this hyperbole nonsense about Tories lying is just panic scare tactics from Labour supporters. Everybody lies. Every politician lies. Get over it. When was the last time we had an incredible, honest government. It’s business.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 18:13:05 15,740 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    At least I don't make things up about other people mate. Enjoy your high throne.
    Eh? You write that you find it uncomfortable to call out racists as being racist, you constantly try to define racist actions as being a misunderstanding or ignorance, which is not a defence as racism is borne out of ignorance and you constantly minimise the victims of racism and people calling out racism as being 'woke'. Pull the other one mate.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 18:13:46 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You have definitely been siding with defences of the accused rather than trusting and believing the victims of racism in this thread.

That should pretty much be the most fundamental step in anyone's progressive politics.

You say you want to see the best in people but you only do it for the wrong uns not the wronged.

That's why everyone is arguing against you.
    Oh well, fair play then, that gives you free licence to make stuff up.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 18:14:14 15,740 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    I think the Tories have done brilliantly these last 9 or however many years they’ve been in.

Taking over a disaster of a Labour government where they even left a note saying ‘there’s nothing in the bank’. All the illegal immigration they let in too.

Tories have done wonders for women, for example. They’ve launched new laws to protect women from domestic violence and in the aftermath (now one of the biggest problems for police) - something that was overlooked and missed by many voters.

All this hyperbole nonsense about Tories lying is just panic scare tactics from Labour supporters. Everybody lies. Every politician lies. Get over it. When was the last time we had an incredible, honest government. It’s business.
    Is this sarcasm because I honestly can't tell anymore.
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Nov 2019 18:15:44 11,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    erasr wrote:

The country is awash with people who genuinely think this way.

We deserve all we've got coming.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 18:19:42 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Eh? You write that you find it uncomfortable to call out racists as being racist, you constantly try to define racist actions as being a misunderstanding or ignorance, which is not a defence as racism is borne out of ignorance and you constantly minimise the victims of racism and people calling out racism as being 'woke'. Pull the other one mate.
    I'm uncomfortable with the culture of sitting behind a computer and destroying people for what could be mistakes. That doesn't make what they are saying right, but calling people outright racists for making mistakes doesn't sit right with me. It's the same with any crime, I always hope that people can change and be rehabilitated.
  • Mark1412 9 Nov 2019 18:20:29 1,591 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I mean, you can kind of see where he's coming from if you shut your eyes and ignore what's happening in schools, the police, the NHS, housing, the billions spent on a pointless split from the EU etc etc.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 18:22:42 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    erasr wrote:

The country is awash with people who genuinely think this way.

We deserve all we've got coming.
    Has to be a Rougey sock
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 18:25:54 15,740 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AaronTurner

Seriously, read back to yourself what you just wrote. You seem to think racism is some binary thing that instantly makes you a terrible person, you can be a lovely, generous person and still have racist opinions and/or actions, isn’t doesn't instantly make you a hood wearing KKK member. All your posts surrounding racist actions have been it's just a mistake, I don't understand the context, I'm not aware of that, I'm sure they didn't mean it. That in itself is highly troubling.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 18:32:56 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @AaronTurner

Seriously, read back to yourself what you just wrote. You seem to think racism is some binary thing that instantly makes you a terrible person, you can be a lovely, generous person and still have racist opinions and/or actions, isn’t doesn't instantly make you a hood wearing KKK member. All your posts surrounding racist actions have been it's just a mistake, I don't understand the context, I'm not aware of that, I'm sure they didn't mean it. That in itself is highly troubling.
    That's exactly what I don't think though, where as I get the impression a lot of people in this thread think racism is binary. You say one thing and you are a racist.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 18:38:19 15,740 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AaronTurner

You may not think it in your head, but the stuff you write on this forum paints a very different picture. I haven't once called you a racist, but your views on what qualifies as racism is again troubling for me. Again, to repeat, you can be a lovely, generous person, but if you, say for example have a problem with hiring black people, are against your children from marrying someone from an ethnic minority or would like to see a British white doctor and not a foreign one that surprise, surprise is racist.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 18:47:25 11,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those issues haven't come up though have they? Most of the stuff I see is about people sharing memes of some sort.

Anyway, I just think that taking such a hard stance is not helpful for anyone. Again, it's the same with Leavers, I used to be the same thinking they had all made a ridiculous decision and that they must be racist. It doesn't help the situation when people think that way, you have to open your mind to why people feel the way they do, without doing that there will never be any change.
  • mothercruncher 9 Nov 2019 18:49:11 16,719 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bizarre, just drove home and turned into my road to find I’m following Alex Chalk, the local fresh faced young uber Tory, on his bike. Something dropped out of his pocket and I braked and waited while he stopped in the middle of the road to fish about for it.
    My other half is a Labour Party member, can only imagine the spin if we’d taken out the local incumbent ahead of the GE.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 19:05:25 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Bizarre, just drove home and turned into my road to find I’m following Alex Chalk, the local fresh faced young uber Tory, on his bike. Something dropped out of his pocket and I braked and waited while he stopped in the middle of the road to fish about for it.
    My other half is a Labour Party member, can only imagine the spin if we’d taken out the local incumbent ahead of the GE.
    You definitely shouldn't "accidentally" murder someone
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 19:09:44 15,740 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AaronTurner

So it's the victims of racism that have to understand why people are racist against them.? Gotcha.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Nov 2019 20:23:08 22,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    That is nonsense though. Maybe on a national level that holds some truth but in individual constituencies they're are definitely areas that don't just vote blue or red. I'd quite like Labour to win to be honest, but where I am is a straight choice between Paul Scully for the Tories and a Lib Dem councilor. Labour have never come close in Sutton and care so much about the area they only appear at election time and only actually named their candidate yesterday.
    Oh, you are in Sutton too? I don't understand why Labour doesn't compete down here, given the demographic it seems like it would make sense but it ends up just being Tory or Lib Dem, neither of which I want to vote for.

I would also like Led By Donkeys to do something down here as it was one of the few London boroughs that done a Brexit and it is certainly a bit kippy.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Nov 2019 22:15:16 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Surely the only thing we can do with racism is take the hardest stance!

You can’t allow any form of racism if you are going to live in a country where people feel safe and welcome.
  • Robospud 9 Nov 2019 23:22:28 114 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Surely the only thing we can do with racism is take the hardest stance!

You can’t allow any form of racism if you are going to live in a country where people feel safe and welcome.
    But if you spend all your time and energy attacking those who’ve done the most to fight racism, based on nonsensical conspiracy theories that have no basis in fact, then it’s going to be pretty counter productive.

But yeah, let’s continue taking as gospel the word of a former Breitbart columnist that he heard a Labour MP singing a racist song two years ago then sat on it until he could pull it out to sway an election, even though people from multiple parties were on the bus at the time and none of them reported hearing it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 23:24:05 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is annoying

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/09/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-iopc-delay-announcement-investigation
  • TheSaint 10 Nov 2019 01:19:11 18,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I’d go a bit further than annoying, it’s dodgy as fuck.
  • Dgzter 10 Nov 2019 01:22:36 2,851 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup. Quite a bit more than annoying; it’s absolutely fucking scandalous.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.