Following UK Politics Thread Page 529

• challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2019 08:23:32 12,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    My positive spin on election day is that no matter what happens everything is going to be shit and we're all fucked.
    This.

I'm not voting. It's utterly pointless.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Dec 2019 08:24:14 10,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    so what happens if there is no majority?

are we going to be kicking the brexit bucket down the road for another 5 years and 3 PM's?
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2019 08:24:54 12,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There will be a Tory majority though.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Dec 2019 08:31:43 17,470 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Done my voting duty - let's hope the conservative supporters in my area decide to stay at home :-)
  • beastmaster 12 Dec 2019 08:31:50 20,909 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If the Tories win my Facebook feed will be full of ďIf you voted Tory and are reading this...Ē posts.

If you voted Tory and are reading this youíre laughing your ass off!
  • McEwan 12 Dec 2019 08:32:54 884 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    My positive spin on election day is that no matter what happens everything is going to be shit and we're all fucked.
    This.

I'm not voting. It's utterly pointless.
    This is the road to bad things. Not recommended.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2019 08:35:39 12,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In my ward it's pointless.

It's a labour safe seat with utter fuckbucket, hard brexiteer Graham Stringer at the helm. The Brexit party will come in a distant 2nd.

I'm not voting here, it is pointless.
  • McEwan 12 Dec 2019 08:37:54 884 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    In my ward it's pointless.

It's a labour safe seat with utter fuckbucket, hard brexiteer Graham Stringer at the helm. The Brexit party will come in a distant 2nd.

I'm not voting here, it is pointless.
    Ah - you have my sympathies
  • McEwan 12 Dec 2019 08:39:35 884 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The WTO stuff will be hilarious though. Especially when the EU point out they are in the superior position and we have no recourse.
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 08:42:08 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    IRWATWO wrote:
    (and, I'm going to guess, doesn't mention that the WTO which will be vital to Johnsons plan, is currently being blown up by Trump).
    Oh God no! Is it planes again
    Happily he hasn't thought of that yet. But if the WTO is effectively removed from play (by the US blocking any appointments), the bigger fish in any trade deal will far more easily dictate terms. Which in turn will give Johnson an excuse to drop Britains trousers and prepare to be shafted whilst dodging responsibility, his chief skill.

Meanwhile, here on the ward, just another day, haven't heard a single word about it from patients and staff. Main issue has been outrage from one young man, astonished no full English available.
  • drhickman1983 12 Dec 2019 08:43:48 6,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's just really sad how hoodwinked some people, some members of my family even, have been. They've bought into the propoganda and lies, hook line and sinker

Edited by drhickman1983 at 08:43:57 12-12-2019
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 08:45:10 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    McEwan wrote:
    The WTO stuff will be hilarious though. Especially when the EU point out they are in the superior position and we have no recourse.
    Yep. But Johnson doesn't care about the cost to Britain, just that he can dodge blame and stay in power, at any cost.
  • McEwan 12 Dec 2019 08:48:54 884 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @IRWATWO I wonder how long the Tories will be out of power after this happens. Maybe folk are just gluttons for punishment. Who knows?
  • McEwan 12 Dec 2019 08:50:30 884 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    McEwan wrote:
    Yep. But Johnson doesn't care about the cost to Britain, just that he can dodge blame and stay in power, at any cost.
    He's already shown his cowardice when handling interviews - he will crumple when in an active negotiation.

Almost makes May look like a powerhouse politician....almost.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Dec 2019 08:51:35 10,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    McEwan wrote:
    @IRWATWO I wonder how long the Tories will be out of power after this happens. Maybe folk are just gluttons for punishment. Who knows?
    It really depends on whether Labour do some self reflection and don't just continue to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend that everyone else is the problem.
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 08:57:14 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I think that now we're at the stage where any lie will do, if you can get the media to repeat it as one side of the argument, then that will hugely benefit whoever has the money to pay for the media.

Which, by a vast, vast margin, is the Tories, much of which comes from tax avoiders, who can much more easily avoid tax because of Brexit. Trebles all round.
  • McEwan 12 Dec 2019 08:57:43 884 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    IRWATWO wrote:
    (and, I'm going to guess, doesn't mention that the WTO which will be vital to Johnsons plan, is currently being blown up by Trump).
    Happily he hasn't thought of that yet. But if the WTO is effectively removed from play (by the US blocking any appointments), the bigger fish in any trade deal will far more easily dictate terms
    And in the meantime, UK interests in the the EU are currently being represented at votes by... (checks notes) either Belgium or France.

Taking back control!
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2019 09:04:28 94,595 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can't see that ComRes poll being accurate. 30-40 majority has always seemed the most likely

Edited by Dougs at 09:04:47 12-12-2019
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 09:05:06 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    McEwan wrote:
    IRWATWO wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    IRWATWO wrote:
    Happily he hasn't thought of that yet. But if the WTO is effectively removed from play (by the US blocking any appointments), the bigger fish in any trade deal will far more easily dictate terms
    And in the meantime, UK interests in the the EU are currently being represented at votes by... (checks notes) either Belgium or France.

Taking back control!
    Yeah :( But the Tories know 99% of voters changed the channel or turned the page at 'trade deal'.
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 09:09:15 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Can't see that ComRes poll being accurate. 30-40 majority has always seemed the most likely
    So difficult to know, even minor tactical voting could have such a huge effect in any direction when applied to a FPTP system for the first time, polls could be even less use than usual. Depends so much how their methodology has changed.

Will be interesting. And no doubt horrifying and mind-fuckingly depressing.
  • TheSaint 12 Dec 2019 09:10:32 19,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Seems to be some pretty long queues at polling stations already if the pictures online are anything to go by.
  • beastmaster 12 Dec 2019 09:14:48 20,909 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If the Tories win how long before we blame the Russians?
  • Nexus_6 12 Dec 2019 09:21:08 5,062 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have voted. There was a queue, albeit a short one, for me. Worth noting thatís the first queue Iíve ever seen and thatís including the 2014 Indyref.

Triple-double-checked that the cross was going in the right box - anyone else get very paranoid the pencil is going to slip or youíre going to lose all reading comprehension at the critical moment?
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 09:35:24 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wonder what we can read into these massive queues. Apparently they're even queuing up at Corbyn's ultra safe seat
  • sport 12 Dec 2019 09:35:38 16,105 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    While I can't vote, I've done my part by smashing the relevant like and subscribe buttons.
  • RGeefe 12 Dec 2019 09:38:29 1,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    not voted yet. genuinely torn on this one. head says Labour but heart says Lib Dems. if Kal has done anything he's really shown me just what a seedy underbelly Labour has on this. I'll probably just see how I feel when I get in the booth. I've already questioned and turned up to surgeries about anti-semitism so I can keep that up I guess.

it also doesn't help that my local Labour has actually done campaigning on local issues, has a clear manifesto that shits all over Lib Dems - who have already dropped one candidate because he told people to vote for Labour.
  • smoothpete 12 Dec 2019 09:38:51 36,988 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    This. I may borrow your comment for facebook as it sums it up pretty well for me.
  • beastmaster 12 Dec 2019 09:39:27 20,909 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I wonder what we can read into these massive queues. Apparently they're even queuing up at Corbyn's ultra safe seat
    Labour win?
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 09:39:52 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you're torn between LD and Labour, I'd simply vote tactically according to your constituency. Then you can just consider it a vote against Boris

@RGeefe

Edited by Psiloc at 09:40:24 12-12-2019
  • Nazo 12 Dec 2019 09:40:46 1,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Our polling station was divided into 2 queues depending on street, which I havenít seen before. There was a line for the other section but no-one waiting for our bit.
    Which Iím taking to mean the tories from the massive houses down the way have all turned up in droves while the poorer folk from our shitty bit have stayed home :-(

Edited by Nazo at 09:40:57 12-12-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.