UK Politics Thread Page 530

• hedben2013 12 Dec 2019 09:51:02 1,301 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Our polling station was divided into 2 queues depending on street, which I havenít seen before. There was a line for the other section but no-one waiting for our bit.
    Which Iím taking to mean the tories from the massive houses down the way have all turned up in droves while the poorer folk from our shitty bit have stayed home :-(
    Meanwhile they're all posting to Facebook about how they were made to wait by the polling station staff (who were actually Momentum covert agents) and all the dirty poors got straight through to cast their votes.
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 09:52:56 5,327 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also don't forget to take a pen because the polling station staff are paid by Corbyn to erase your vote and replace it with a vote for Labour
  • thelzdking 12 Dec 2019 10:11:37 9,781 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    My positive spin on election day is that no matter what happens everything is going to be shit and we're all fucked.
    This. I may borrow your comment for facebook as it sums it up pretty well for me.
    Yeah, go for it.
  • elstoof 12 Dec 2019 10:16:00 24,808 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I voted for bofa
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 10:25:13 8,342 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What's bofa
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 10:27:45 5,327 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bofa deez nuts
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 10:28:27 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @thelzdking

Did you go for a postal vote mate, I thought about voting about it, but then ultimately went fuck it, the country is fucked either way.
  • Lukus 12 Dec 2019 10:36:51 22,545 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's the spirit.

That attitude kind of pisses me off though. Yeah your vote probably won't change the inevitable, but it might collectively contribute to a narrowing of the gap, setting up a more positive step towards the next big vote. It's always worth voting just to have a say, not just to be on the winning side.
  • breakablepants 12 Dec 2019 10:42:34 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

That attitude kind of pisses me off though. Yeah your vote probably won't change the inevitable, but it might collectively contribute to a narrowing of the gap, setting up a more positive step towards the next big vote. It's always worth voting just to have a say, not just to be on the winning side.
    this +100000000000000%
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 10:43:29 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

Not for my constituency unfortunately. It's pure tory. I used to echo your sentiments but the whole political process has massively depressed me, also factor that I don't feel that connection with Britain as I used to. It makes me feel and act negative whenever I go back.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 10:45:41 12-12-2019
  • breakablepants 12 Dec 2019 10:48:36 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

Not for my constituency unfortunately. It's pure tory. I used to echo your sentiments but the whole political process has massively depressed me, also factor that I don't feel that connection with Britain as I used to. It makes me feel and act negative whenever I go back.
    But I would still urge you to exercise your right to vote - even if you just go and spoil your ballot paper or vote for a loonie party. The right to vote is too precious to not bother with.
  • robthehermit 12 Dec 2019 10:50:28 7,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, but it's raining.
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2019 10:51:11 91,686 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Totally agree. Even in my constituency (massive Tory majority), it's always worth doing. Labour came 2nd last time which surprised me, not sure if they'll get as close this time around.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 10:52:05 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    breakablepants wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

But I would still urge you to exercise your right to vote - even if you just go and spoil your ballot paper or vote for a loonie party. The right to vote is too precious to not bother with.
    I agree with all your sentiments but like if I had that same connection with the country then I would, all I see now is a country on fire with people adding more fuel. In fact this is the first time I haven't voted. I even voted after coming out of hospital for chemotherapy but I just can't in this one.
  • Lukus 12 Dec 2019 10:55:47 22,545 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    breakablepants wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

I agree with all your sentiments but like if I had that same connection with the country then I would, all I see now is a country on fire with people adding more fuel. In fact this is the first time I haven't voted. I even voted after coming out of hospital for chemotherapy but I just can't in this one.
    Given the sheer amount of posts you've made in this thread, you clearly care still, so just fucking vote you fanny
  • TechnoHippy 12 Dec 2019 10:56:02 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Indeed - my area is hard brexit and conservative, but voting is a duty that should be exercised. A huge number of people don't vote and maybe if they did we'd see some change, or at least a proper mandate for the status quo.

Edited by TechnoHippy at 10:56:18 12-12-2019
  • gamingdave 12 Dec 2019 10:57:08 4,853 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I wonder what we can read into these massive queues. Apparently they're even queuing up at Corbyn's ultra safe seat
    No big que at my station this morning (which is in his area) though there were a few people inside. Walked past another on the way into work which didn't look that busy either.

Some people voting for the first time (who didn't look young) having to be told what to do. One chap though was asking which box he should put a cross in and didn't really know why he was there which was a bit odd.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 10:57:21 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    breakablepants wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

Given the sheer amount of posts you've made in this thread, you clearly care still, so just fucking vote you fanny
    Postal vote. I don't live in the country.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Dec 2019 10:57:22 8,763 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    breakablepants wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    That's the spirit.

Look Jambo... You need to fly back from Andorra for the day, draw a massive penis on the ballot paper and then fly back.

Just make sure the Jizz doesn't accidentally tick any boxes!
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2019 10:58:03 11,887 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Yeah, but it's raining.
    this +100000000000000%
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 10:59:38 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Hmmm. Thy words have merit.
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2019 11:02:01 65,936 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bah, fucking hammering down here which can only be good news for the Tories.
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 11:05:57 419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Psychotext

Yep, Tories like the rain, briefly washes away the stench of pure evil.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Dec 2019 11:08:08 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Me, Mrs Maybe and Baby Maybe were the only people in the polling station when we were there this morning.

This was the case for the Parish, County, European and Police Comissioner elections too.

The Maybe vote carries a lot of weight around here.
  • drhickman1983 12 Dec 2019 11:11:24 6,281 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Regardless of whether or not "it's worth it" if you don't vote you can't fucking complain imo.

Even if it's meaningless the only chance we have at changing the system, however small that chance is, is if it can be shown to be utterly redundant.
  • X201 12 Dec 2019 11:12:40 19,799 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve just been past a few polling stations and there was a steady stream of people voting in the horrible weather weíve got here at the mo.
  • DaM 12 Dec 2019 11:14:25 17,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I feel my vote does actually mean something this time round, we have a 3 way marginal, and a Tory to get rid of.

Labour have put up a very weak candidate. SNP all the way for me.
  • DaM 12 Dec 2019 11:16:59 17,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    One chap though was asking which box he should put a cross in and didn't really know why he was there which was a bit odd.
    I do question universal suffrage sometimes....my alternative plan of one vote per degree you have doesn't go down well either though!
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 11:17:18 8,342 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Regardless of whether or not "it's worth it" if you don't vote you can't fucking complain imo.
    I disagree with this, I think that's a trope saying created to keep the status quo.

If you fundamentally disagree with the way the flavor of democracy in your country elects their parliaments of whatever color, participating in that pantomime is probably not worthwhile at best, and actively contributing to something you have a fundamental issue with.

That shouldn't prevent you from being able to complain about it
  • robthehermit 12 Dec 2019 11:19:02 7,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technically every vote counts because of the Short Money allocations.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.