Following UK Politics Thread Page 531

• DaM 12 Dec 2019 11:19:35 17,459 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ruth Davidson got fingered for a postal vote gaff in the Indy Ref.
  • RobAnybody 12 Dec 2019 11:20:25 2,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Yeah, but it's raining.
    It's be raining tears if the Tories win and set about really fucking up the UK. Human Rights? In the bin! The poor, sick, elderly, minorities? In the bin! The NHS? Sold off to the US! And so on and so forth.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Dec 2019 11:22:22 10,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    Yeah, but it's raining.
    It's be raining tears if the Tories win and set about really fucking up the UK. Human Rights? In the bin! The poor, sick, elderly, minorities? In the bin! The NHS? Sold off to the US! And so on and so forth.
    Wow.. Rob Anybody going for the gut punch there.
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 11:25:50 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://twitter.com/LeonjWard/status/1205072010872807424
  • Gibroon 12 Dec 2019 11:27:21 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Britain deserves its time in the shitter, we are a bunch of arrogant wanks, think we are above everyone, definitely need pegged back a bit or two. At least the music might get better in this country, right?
  • drhickman1983 12 Dec 2019 11:29:51 6,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Regardless of whether or not "it's worth it" if you don't vote you can't fucking complain imo.
    I disagree with this, I think that's a trope saying created to keep the status quo.

If you fundamentally disagree with the way the flavor of democracy in your country elects their parliaments of whatever color, participating in that pantomime is probably not worthwhile at best, and actively contributing to something you have a fundamental issue with.

That shouldn't prevent you from being able to complain about it
    It's a bit trope but it's how I feel. I've pottered around with enough anarchists to think the idea of opting out is bullshit.

The system is flawed but not partaking at all is just going to give the biggest cunts even more of an advantage.

If you really hate the system you should at least spoil the ballot paper. I can accept that as a legitimate action to voice displeasure. Moaning about how bad things are from a comfy arm chair is tantamount to apathy.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 11:35:04 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This isn't the last of it, by any means, Boris will try to get his Brexit through, he'll go then they'll be someone else and another show election will be announced and the country will go through this merry go round again. Constantly butting heads against the sheer impossibility of Brexit.
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2019 11:35:50 82,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    Britain deserves its time in the shitter, we are a bunch of arrogant wanks, think we are above everyone, definitely need pegged back a bit or two.
    But we are the special kind of arrogant wanks who would blame the toilet rather than ourselves for jumping head first into it.

If you are expecting any kind of introspection from this country, you will be waiting a long time.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Dec 2019 11:36:16 23,974 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not like the major parties are going to go "oooh, look at all the people who didn't vote, looks like we should clean up our acts". For all they know, the reason you didn't vote is because you couldn't be bothered going to the polling booth.

Everyone should at least turn up to the polls on voting day, even if none of the options are perfect. In the past (and present) people have fought and died for the right to vote in free elections, it's wrong to just throw that away imo.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2019 11:37:48 12,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They shoot people who don't vote in Australia, don't they?
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2019 11:38:27 82,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Now more than ever, an abstention is a vote for the tories.

Even if you draw a massive dong on your paper, you registered your intent.
  • drhickman1983 12 Dec 2019 11:41:58 6,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Now more than ever, an abstention is a vote for the tories.

Even if you draw a massive dong on your paper, you registered your intent.
    This, exactly.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Dec 2019 11:44:43 23,974 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    They shoot people who don't vote in Australia, don't they?
    It's like a $50 fine or something, that afaik rarely gets actually enforced. But it's not even saying that you have to vote. You just have to turn up to the polling place and get your name marked off - what you do after that is up to you.

I like it (though am biased I guess). You can still void the ballot, but it feels like an actual decision that you have to think about, rather than "I can't be fucked getting out of bed on a Saturday for this".
  • X201 12 Dec 2019 12:04:14 20,701 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    Britain deserves its time in the shitter, we are a bunch of arrogant wanks, think we are above everyone, definitely need pegged back a bit or two. At least the music might get better in this country, right?
    But two World Wars and one World Cup?!
  • IRWATWO 12 Dec 2019 12:38:52 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Gibroon wrote:
    Britain deserves its time in the shitter, we are a bunch of arrogant wanks, think we are above everyone, definitely need pegged back a bit or two.
    But we are the special kind of arrogant wanks who would blame the toilet rather than ourselves for jumping head first into it.

If you are expecting any kind of introspection from this country, you will be waiting a long time.
    Yeeees .... except maybe, maybe, hope against hope, the next gen will look at this shitshow, and climate change, and decide it's time push people like Johnson off the White Cliffs, and and start again. Maybe.
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2019 12:41:45 67,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Voted. Sadly the only other people I saw coming in / going out were a solid 20 years older than me, but I guess that's party the time of day.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Dec 2019 12:48:17 28,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    A colleague asked me at lunch "Why do the English stubbornly think they're better than everyone else?".
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2019 12:51:18 67,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Exceptionalism is not a uniquely English trait. They might be uniquely good at it though... :D
  • elstoof 12 Dec 2019 12:51:25 25,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Ruth Davidson got fingered for a postal vote gaff in the Indy Ref.
    I can think of worse punishments
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Dec 2019 12:51:49 25,562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sure he did.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2019 12:57:26 12,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Gibroon wrote:
    A colleague asked me at lunch "Why do the English stubbornly think they're better than everyone else?".
    Was this just before or after you developed the cure for cancer, fucked Margot Robbie and finally ceased oozing?
  • X201 12 Dec 2019 12:58:48 20,701 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Gibroon wrote:

“They repeat the lies, that caught their eyes, at school, in history books”
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Dec 2019 13:04:33 25,562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was just having lunch with Woopie Goldberg and she took my dick out of her mouth and said "Decks, why are the Scotch so obsessed with the English? Some of them literally define their personality around their hatred. Why Decks, why are they like this?"

"gghggoollloooggll" she continued as I put my penis back in.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Dec 2019 13:10:22 9,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Wait a minute user Decks, you invited me for lunch, why are you only ordering one meal?
  • DugBriderider 12 Dec 2019 13:10:28 841 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did my duty in the local cricket pavilion this morning, was pretty quiet but those I saw were all cosmopolitan boomers so could have gone either way.
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2019 13:21:28 67,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just saw my first Tory facebook advert. Wankers.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 13:26:25 9,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was just doing kung fu pilates with Cynthia Rothrock and she burst into tears
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Dec 2019 13:36:57 28,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Exceptionalism is not a uniquely English trait. They might be uniquely good at it though... :D
    The Septics are pretty special at it as well :)
  • TheSaint 12 Dec 2019 13:37:58 19,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A colleague asked me at lunch "Why are people who move to a tax haven that got rich off Nazi gold so sanctimonious?".
  • Stan546 12 Dec 2019 14:08:35 1,190 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just saw my first Tory facebook advert. Wankers.
    They've actually put out some pretty decent memes the last two days. Decent as in good for the banter. Still putting across misleading messages, but I did chuckle.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.