UK Politics Thread Page 636

• ResidentKnievel 14 Feb 2020 20:38:35 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Higgy appropriating trans rights to further his cultish agenda grosses me out
  • its-H1ggyLTD 14 Feb 2020 21:29:22 1,075 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I was using it because it's been cited as a recent example of Labour 'losing the towns'.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 21:31:08 7,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thornberry fails to get onto the ballot. And nothing of value was lost...

She surely can't ever have been a serious contender? She's pretty much the ultimate voter-repellant. "Image from #Rochester" wasn't going to be forgotten in a hurry.
  • mothercruncher 14 Feb 2020 21:49:15 17,081 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least she didn’t try to organise getting a journalist assaulted I guess.
  • IRWATWO 14 Feb 2020 22:04:07 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    It's a good point. She hasn't even ever forced anyone into having an an abortion, and then complained about the cost.

Or fucked off to Afghanistan to hide from reporters.

Or made dog-whistle comments that have more and more British citizens being told to fuck off back where they came from.

She's just not a proper politician atall really.
  • spamdangled 14 Feb 2020 22:04:53 31,802 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon she won't be in the final round. I wasn't impressed by her appearance on the Derbyshire debate this week; she kept talking over other contenders.that said, in broader terms I think she's ok. I'd rather her than RLB. But my preference would be Starmer or Nandy.

Edited by spamdangled at 22:05:26 14-02-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 22:06:47 7,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @IRWATWO No, but she did prop up the shadow cabinet of a rabid anti-semite for the better part of 5 years (albeit one who was content to express himself through outriders and dog-whistles).
  • Technoishmatt 14 Feb 2020 22:24:30 3,832 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wonder what is up with news that government is not confirming the budget day. New CX on a livestream of his hello to Treasury staff this morning said it was still happening on 11th of March. Be interesting if it is not. No 10 are supposedly asking departments for budget numbers; coming up with their own proposals? On face of it, with a joint PM/CX team this just wouldnt be necessary.
  • spamdangled 14 Feb 2020 22:27:20 31,802 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was pleased that most candidates rebuked the transphobic woman at the debate. And I rolled my eyes at the person who accused Starmer of being part of a conspiracy trilateral commission bla bla blah.
  • spamdangled 14 Feb 2020 22:28:21 31,802 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Technoishmatt new chancellor, I'm guessing? Maybe they're trying to give themselves wiggle room so Sunak has time to rejig what Javid had planned so it better suits what Cummings wants from it. 4 weeks isn't long for a new cx to write a budget, after all.

Edited by spamdangled at 22:30:06 14-02-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 22:29:43 7,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Wonder what is up with news that government is not confirming the budget day. New CX on a livestream of his hello to Treasury staff this morning said it was still happening on 11th of March. Be interesting if it is not. No 10 are supposedly asking departments for budget numbers; coming up with their own proposals? On face of it, with a joint PM/CX team this just wouldnt be necessary.
    Guess the question is how radical they want to be on setting new fiscal rules. Changes to the rules themselves aren't difficult, but if they want departments to rework bids that will already have been under development for a while to adjust... that might take a bit of time. Especially if money's now going to be available in areas where it wasn't expected previously.

Not that they've got long. By law they have to do a Budget by the end of the financial year.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:36:15 14-02-2020
  • Technoishmatt 14 Feb 2020 22:34:36 3,832 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @spamdangled as CST he was involved in loads of the measures already. Decisions generally are delegated to junior ministers, who then write to CX with their recommendations. And Javid and Sunak were pretty close, so imagine they were close on the overall approach.

On the timing, it is just more that it already seems not very joined up if they dont have the same message after 5 minutes.
  • Technoishmatt 14 Feb 2020 22:40:27 3,832 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon not sure bids are the main thing at this stage. Budget will set envelope for spending review later in year, where resource and capital spending would be set for likely next three years. The budget will set the annual managed expenditure, eg benefits, and taxes.

But then what am I saying, of course there will be some big spending announcements, as the government is still chasing headlines.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 22:50:09 7,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Technoishmatt Also, don't some departments not have capital budgets set for next year? The mood music I'd picked up even pre-reshuffle was that the Budget was going to be used for some capital announcements on manifesto stuff. It's just that these might be bigger now post-reshuffle.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:50:28 14-02-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Feb 2020 23:18:31 12,202 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thornberry must have known the game was up for a long time before now. Her every interview answer since the contest began has either been “no, you shut up” or weasel words to distance herself from a shadow cabinet she loyally served for years whilst trying to appease those who still believe in it.

Plus scoffing at the working and lower middle classes, obviously.
  • spamdangled 14 Feb 2020 23:36:14 31,802 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Technoishmatt

The main thing with the budget is that Boris wants to turn the spending taps on. That creates a problem down the road, as he's borrowing money and increasing the deficit. If he keeps doing this to pay for all the pie in the sky election pledges and ditches Javid's fiscal rules, the deficit will balloon. At least this time they won't be able to spend a decade blaming it on labour, though I've no doubt they'll instead try to shuffle the blame to the eu instead.
  • Akumer 14 Feb 2020 23:38:32 208 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Hopefully they pump some money into the artery of the NHS in the budget. Wouldnt want it getting heart cancer.
  • Technoishmatt 14 Feb 2020 23:40:57 3,832 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thing is, even without opening taps as it were, deficit will balloon based on previous assumptions because growth is lower than expected, and cos Brexit is going to make it worse.
  • Technoishmatt 14 Feb 2020 23:44:01 3,832 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have previously noted that there wasn't any spare capacity for a fiscal stimulus. But... doing one anyway would make it look like stuff was happening, would lead to inflation, and then you can inflate away the debt, and so make it look like you are doing something about the debt burden. Genius.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 23:44:22 14-02-2020
  • spamdangled 15 Feb 2020 00:16:43 31,802 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I have previously noted that there wasn't any spare capacity for a fiscal stimulus. But... doing one anyway would make it look like stuff was happening, would lead to inflation, and then you can inflate away the debt, and so make it look like you are doing something about the debt burden. Genius.
    It would be bizarre if a labour government ends up in power inheriting a large deficit from the tories, but I genuinely see it going that way atm. Boris seems to want to spend his way through the brexit fallout. That might actually be the wisest way to do it in the short term, but I suspect he'll keep doing it beyond the point where it's healthy for the economy and leaves his successor with an almight mess to sort out.
  • IRWATWO 15 Feb 2020 00:39:57 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @IRWATWO No, but she did prop up the shadow cabinet of a rabid anti-semite for the better part of 5 years (albeit one who was content to express himself through outriders and dog-whistles).
    Yes thanks for the whataboutism. You seem to be saying they are as bad as each other, and you'd have to be a right fucking bellend to vote for either.
  • Load_2.0 15 Feb 2020 00:52:28 30,630 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    By the way Mongo no one will ever forget the time you pretended to have cancer you fucking parasite.

You will never will be welcome in this forum no matter how many times you try to sneak back in.
  • Dougs 15 Feb 2020 05:38:09 92,086 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Technoishmatt Also, don't some departments not have capital budgets set for next year? The mood music I'd picked up even pre-reshuffle was that the Budget was going to be used for some capital announcements on manifesto stuff. It's just that these might be bigger now post-reshuffle.
    Capital budgets haven't been set for 2021/22 and beyond because there was only a 1 year spending round last time out. A full spending review for hopefully 4 years will follow later this year. A lot of the big spending announcements have already been made though. Whether Sunak wants to go further remains to be seen. My instinct is not much will change and 11 March will largely go ahead as planned.
  • IRWATWO 15 Feb 2020 08:26:07 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/15/tv-licence-convictions-hard-to-justify-says-mp-scrutinising-bbc

As Johnson and his fellow cunts talk bringing the country back together, they infact continue the gradual destruction of the BBC, which has given us a common reference point for most of the last century. Rupert Murdoch will be very proud indeed, it's taken 50 years of hard work and utter lies to get here.
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Feb 2020 08:30:04 12,022 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    By the way Mongo no one will ever forget the time you pretended to have cancer you fucking parasite.

You will never will be welcome in this forum no matter how many times you try to sneak back in.
  • chopsen 15 Feb 2020 09:10:41 20,773 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    They'd need the BoE to be onboard with an overtly party political plan. Not likely to happen.
  • Dgzter 15 Feb 2020 17:22:32 2,934 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I appreciate Lisa Nandy has been getting some praise in here, but I have to say I find a lot of her comments from the Scottish hustings deeply concerning.

I know she got a lot of hyperbolic criticism for her ill-advised and clumsy praise of the Spanish government's handling of the Catalonia situation on Andrew Neil; but I at least expected her to be a bit more nuanced in her approach when actually campaigning in Scotland. Yet all she seems to be doing is regurgitating the same old platitudes, on health and education, usually employed by the Tories north of the border.

Her strategy appears to be: I wont listen to the SNP, I really hate Nicola Sturgeon personally, so I wont listen to what she has to say either, but I'll somehow find common ground with SNP voters (as long as they appreciate I wont ever actually listen to them until they start voting Labour again).

Good luck with that, I guess.
  • grey_matters 15 Feb 2020 20:36:13 4,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah yes. A Trevelyan as the new international development secretary. And "has previously expressed apparent scepticism about the value of foreign aid", just to add to the you-couldn't-make-it-up bonus points.

I wonder which is going to win out, a rogue state or a failed state.*

* Not that this is anything more that comic relief but...
    /gestures vaguely at everything

Edited by grey_matters at 20:37:31 15-02-2020
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Feb 2020 20:48:17 18,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ian Murray unsurprisingly is really the only one that seems to have any appreciation of the importance of Scotland. I think for that reason alone he’s probably worth voting for deputy.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.