Following UK Politics Thread Page 688

• RGeefe 28 Jun 2020 17:49:38 985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh christ on a bike, that BLM thing is awful. What the actual fuck?
  • elstoof 28 Jun 2020 18:22:09 25,682 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That account has been on Twitter since 2016, their first post was 2018. Whoever it is got their blue tick not because of the current wave of awareness or what they do for the movement, they don’t even give out blue ticks anymore. Back then anyone could get one really, part of the problem with twitter legitimising anyones random opinion with some sort of official status
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2020 20:19:36 9,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I tell you someone who can't get a blue tick, Graham Linehan
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Jun 2020 20:24:32 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Farage called on his dog whistle antisemitism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/28/jewish-groups-and-mps-condemn-nigel-farage-for-antisemitic-dog-whistles
  • JamboWayOh 28 Jun 2020 20:40:34 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Farage called on his dog whistle antisemitism

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/28/jewish-groups-and-mps-condemn-nigel-farage-for-antisemitic-dog-whistles
    That whistle can be heard around the world.
  • creepiest-lizard 28 Jun 2020 20:48:26 1,340 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why doesn't that racist rubber faced fuck just piss off to America permanently and live in a dog kennel in the Oval office as he really wants?
  • grey_matters 28 Jun 2020 20:59:29 5,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I tell you someone who can't get a blue tick, Graham Linehan
    Maybe he should try sending a dick pic to Twitter HQ to help the verification process by cross-referencing.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Jun 2020 21:15:33 19,729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This whole making yourself relevant by being racist thing feels like a relatively recent phenomenon to me. Or at least it’s resurgent in a new form. It’s so insidious.
  • creepiest-lizard 28 Jun 2020 21:29:50 1,340 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The horrible thought is that they really are everywhere and in far greater numbers than we ever thought possible and it's just that current climates and governments have just emboldened them.
  • grey_matters 28 Jun 2020 21:39:59 5,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    This whole making yourself relevant by being racist thing feels like a relatively recent phenomenon to me. Or at least it’s resurgent in a new form. It’s so insidious.
    It's worse than that even. It is, and/or has been insidious on a number of fronts for quite a while but for some, it is outright allowed (in their perception) to be blatant about it now. It feels like it was always there, under a rock, not allowed the daylight to live in the open by rules and laws of decency. Post 2007, the anger and frustration has blossomed to a height that now the subgroup of utter scum within the typical population that go for leadership through politics have an extra tool to leverage. And so far they are making real headway.

It's so depressing. All of this was predicted back then (right and left extremes rising up, racism from all across the political spectrum being used to leverage political agendas across the world) but to see it happen, slowly but inexorably kills a bit of your soul.

Edit: Or, you know, what creepiest-lizard said without the flouncy word salad.

Edited by grey_matters at 21:41:36 28-06-2020
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Jun 2020 22:03:32 23,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Jun 2020 22:03:33 23,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    The horrible thought is that they really are everywhere and in far greater numbers than we ever thought possible and it's just that current climates and governments have just emboldened them.
    I think it is best not to go too far with this line of thought as most people are decent, most of the time. There are outliers and they are the loudest and dominate the conversation.

Probably the single largest attitude will be not giving much of a fuck about loads of the issues of rage on twitter.
  • creepiest-lizard 28 Jun 2020 22:11:25 1,340 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I think it is best not to go too far with this line of thought as most people are decent, most of the time. There are outliers and they are the loudest and dominate the conversation.

Probably the single largest attitude will be not giving much of a fuck about loads of the issues of rage on twitter.
    I genuinely hope that's closer to the truth but..Well apathy or indifference to the hate is pretty damming and dangerous to our future in itself..
  • nickthegun 28 Jun 2020 22:50:41 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think, thanks to the internet, it's now possible to make money out of being racist in a way that would previously have required actual talent.

Your Mannings had to actually write and perform but all these garbage people have to do is fart a tweet out.
  • Dougs 29 Jun 2020 07:45:37 94,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:

I genuinely hope that's closer to the truth but..Well apathy or indifference to the hate is pretty damming and dangerous to our future in itself..
    Yes, indeed. I firmly believe that we're going to have to take a step back and acknowledge the issues before we can move forward. These feelings gave always been there, but recent events have emboldened the racists. It's such a multi-layered problem though. Mostly to do with education and the media imo.

It's not a quick fix though and I hope that some of the more progressive views shared by the youth of today are allowed to continue to develop. But I suspect social media will stamp that out for a lot.
  • alt-cmd-esc 29 Jun 2020 08:17:38 469 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, this is deeply depressing.

https://twitter.com
    Fixed that for you
  • CHPxtreme 29 Jun 2020 09:08:29 374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    Well, this is deeply depressing.

https://twitter.com
    Fixed that for you
    Mac and Dennis show why Twitter has become a problem.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Jun 2020 09:57:15 19,729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:

I think the view that there’s decent people and then there’s also racists is actually part of the problem. The likes of Nigel Farage are outliers yes, but there’s vast numbers of ‘decent people’ that have some terrible blind spots or even quite serious prejudices, and the belief that they’re ‘decent’ is what stops them examining their attitudes and behaviours or allowing them to be challenged. Frankly I think this is probably most people.
  • RGeefe 29 Jun 2020 10:11:29 985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would go along with that
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Jun 2020 10:22:33 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:

I think the view that there’s decent people and then there’s also racists is actually part of the problem. The likes of Nigel Farage are outliers yes, but there’s vast numbers of ‘decent people’ that have some terrible blind spots or even quite serious prejudices, and the belief that they’re ‘decent’ is what stops them examining their attitudes and behaviours or allowing them to be challenged. Frankly I think this is probably most people.
    I’d agree with that
  • nickthegun 29 Jun 2020 10:25:36 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Starmer was on BBC this morning and, basically, confirmed his zero tolerance policy. 'I never want to hear the words 'Labour and anti-semetic' used in the same sentence again'.

He was then pressed into saying how many press-ups he can do because thats where we are now.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Jun 2020 10:30:39 24,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm trying to avoid everything as much as possible now because it was making me go insane but did Boris actually start doing push-ups in the middle of an interview?

Edited by Decks at 10:34:55 29-06-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 29 Jun 2020 10:32:37 829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    He must have saw the challenge thread. Which can only mean one thing.

Boris is Roguey.
  • elstoof 29 Jun 2020 10:59:03 25,682 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It’s was the daily fail’s “proof” that their leader is apparently “fit as a butcher’s dog”
  • sport 29 Jun 2020 11:07:13 15,997 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    It’s was the daily fail’s “proof” that their leader is apparently “fit as a butcher’s dog”
    Is there actual video footage? They probably photoshopped the knees off the ground.
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Jun 2020 11:08:42 1,340 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Could he realistically even do one? He looks like a bag of silly putty that's been kicked down a staircase.
  • nickthegun 29 Jun 2020 11:10:52 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Ministry of Truth just made him look like David Brent.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Jun 2020 11:14:32 24,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's a fucking toad of a man.
  • nickthegun 29 Jun 2020 11:16:23 81,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mean, who gives a fuck? I couldnt care less if he were in an iron lung if he was actually doing a good job.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Jun 2020 11:20:15 19,729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I’m so confused about who the goodies and the baddies are these days

https://twitter.com/jegullis/status/1277492882757357568?s=21

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.