UK Politics Thread Page 751

• Technoishmatt 13 Jan 2021 12:49:05 4,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unless you mean brexit, how can you say that when Corbyn was previous Labour leader?

Also, Marcus R is not a politician. It is much more difficult from BoJo, the popularity PM, to ignore an articulate, liked, and passionate celebrity, than the leader of the opposition who he can always just declare is being political.

Fact is that gvt has had to u turn and adopt Starmer proposals many many times this year. He has consistently shown how inept this gvt is, and seemingly massively turned round support to Labour in terms of voting intentions. Wtf else is he supposed to do with no election in sight and the gvt with a large parliamentary authority?
  • muddyyfunster 13 Jan 2021 12:50:16 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched PMQs. In fairness to Starmer his follow up was superb. He produced the governments own guidelines regarding the contents of the free meal packages.

Image here: https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1349331893725122560?s=20

This should be devastating, direct evidence that the Conservatives haven't in fact been let down by their suppliers, they are entirely accountable for the meagre rations. He is directly holding the government to account but it'll be ineffective if the media don't amplify actual facts and deem them not interesting enough.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 12:52:17 16,065 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Starmer is much better than Corbyn at detail and on another planet in terms of PMQs

And yes I meant that under Corbyn they towed the line on Brexit.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 12:55:07 69,155 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    Just watched PMQs. In fairness to Starmer his follow up was superb. He produced the governments own guidelines regarding the contents of the free meal packages.

Image here: https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1349331893725122560?s=20

This should be devastating, direct evidence that the Conservatives haven't in fact been let down by their suppliers, they are entirely accountable for the meagre rations. He is directly holding the government to account but it'll be ineffective if the media don't amplify actual facts and deem them not interesting enough.
    but Bojo got him with dat zinger though. lolz, pwnt

Irony being, of course, is that the "zinger" only brought more attention to what a fucking joke of a government we have.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jan 2021 12:59:14 22,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Remember to clap for them!
  • muddyyfunster 13 Jan 2021 13:03:49 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And there you go.

The Sky headline at 1 o'clock is "An insult to families: The Government promises action".

I'd have gone with "An insult to families: Labour produces evidence that meagre food boxes were actually in line with the Governments own guidelines"

This shit matters, and we are being totally let down. Makes you feel a bit helpless. There's no pathway to make things better without the media doing some journalism.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 13:05:20 13-01-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2021 13:24:36 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As absolutely sickening as it is, Starmerís main job right now is to appeal to Tory voters. Rashford thankfully doesnít need to concern himself with that.

For Boris to try and weaponise that is absolutely bizarre from every conceivable angle. I honestly canít believe he went there.
  • tadejpogacar 13 Jan 2021 13:30:29 407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The government has had to U-turn and adopt Starmer proposals many many times this year.

Have they? Interesting perspective. As someone who only pays half attention to this pish, his leadershp seems to me to be defined so far by: supporting the government on their Covid-19 response at every turn; making an arse of Scotland; being outflanked by Marcus Rashford; getting two-footed by Gary Neville; whipping the party to abstain on both Spy Cops and Overseas Operations bills; whipping in support of the Prime Minister's Brexit deal; and, hiding in the cupboard when all around were pressing for the schools to shut. He seems like he'd be more suited as a follower than a leader.

Edited by tadejpogacar at 13:32:11 13-01-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2021 13:31:48 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heís also made up the huge gap on the Tories at the least election to either neck and neck, or a narrow lead.
  • gamingdave 13 Jan 2021 13:37:08 5,035 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Also, Marcus R is not a politician. It is much more difficult from BoJo, the popularity PM, to ignore an articulate, liked, and passionate celebrity, than the leader of the opposition who he can always just declare is being political.
    100% this. Any criticism from Starmer is automatically rejected, dressed up a "political point scoring" or "hindsight" (when in reality it's often been foresight).

He is not alienating any of his support when he refuses to answer questions from the opposition, and it's his playbook to avoid the question or respond with (what he thinks) is an attack back.

But when called out by a high profile person outside of politics, who the public appear to be behind, then it is very hard for him to try and attack the messenger without loosing popularity.
  • imamazed 13 Jan 2021 13:45:09 6,551 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Heís also made up the huge gap on the Tories at the least election to either neck and neck, or a narrow lead.
    Agree he needs to win over Tories, but at this stage of this parliament, this sort of polling doesn't mean much. Labour under Corbyn consistently polled neck-and-neck with, and slightly above at times, the Tories after the election in 2017 and for most of 2018. Didn't mean all that much electorally.

Edited by imamazed at 13:45:32 13-01-2021
  • captbirdseye 13 Jan 2021 13:47:49 10,241 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Corbyn was the worst on any kind of detail. He'd blather around and then ask some random question from the public. Prime Minister, Higgy from Eurogamer asks..
  • imamazed 13 Jan 2021 13:50:15 6,551 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Corbyn was the worst on any kind of detail. He'd blather around and then ask some random question from the public. Prime Minister, Higgy from Eurogamer asks..
    God, those were the worst. Ted from London asks why don't you[insert Labour manifesto policy here]?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2021 13:52:40 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Agree he needs to win over Tories, but at this stage of this parliament, this sort of polling doesn't mean much. Labour under Corbyn consistently polled neck-and-neck with, and slightly above at times, the Tories after the election in 2017 and for most of 2018. Didn't mean all that much electorally.
    Nevertheless it is the only real metric we have relating to his strategy.
  • tadejpogacar 13 Jan 2021 13:53:29 407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Why has it taken until now for Sir Mr Detail QC to highlight and query the Government's guidance on what these food parcels should contain? Either he didn't know until the food images started circulating on social media (not very forensic I must say) or the LOTO office did know and thought it was fine I guess. If it wasn't for Marcus Rashford's intervention, this would still be going on.

Edited by tadejpogacar at 13:56:10 13-01-2021
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 13:55:55 69,155 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Someone seems slightly obsessed.
  • tadejpogacar 13 Jan 2021 13:57:16 407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That's rich coming from you.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 13:59:41 69,155 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Odd, I've made all sorts of contributions to this thread.

Yours? Random snipes every time you think someone has got one up on Starmer. It's deeply pathetic.
  • imamazed 13 Jan 2021 14:00:39 6,551 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Nevertheless it is the only real metric we have relating to his strategy.
    Fair point, and people were probably making similar observations about Corbyn after the 2017 election for better or worse...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2021 14:01:47 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How was he supposed to know before the images were shared on social media?
  • muddyyfunster 13 Jan 2021 14:14:33 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tadejpogacar wrote:
    Why has it taken until now for Sir Mr Detail QC to highlight and query the Government's guidance on what these food parcels should contain? Either he didn't know until the food images started circulating on social media (not very forensic I must say) or the LOTO office did know and thought it was fine I guess. If it wasn't for Marcus Rashford's intervention, this would still be going on.
    It's more complicated than that though. If they complained before the parcels were received they'd be accused of playing politics and Conservatives would deny there was even a problem as these are 'just guidelines'.

Labour did jump on it pretty quickly when the images emerged but obviously, Marcus Rashford has more cut through, because he's not a politician. Waiting for PMQs to directly confront the PM with this evidence is reasonable in my view. It's how the process is supposed to work, not he said, she said on Twitter.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 14:15:15 13-01-2021
  • captbirdseye 13 Jan 2021 14:25:29 10,241 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Higgy has descended from Valhalla then.
  • Load_2.0 13 Jan 2021 14:49:38 32,505 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    The state of this shit from Hancock. Peak Tory.

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1349280495914393600

This is absolutely toe-curling. It's like Paxman-Howard all over again :x
    This is the hideous state of modern politics. Media training 101. Never admit anything, deflect and obscuate.

It's the root cause of Brexit and widens existing divisions in society.
  • DJCopa 13 Jan 2021 14:57:46 2,464 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I swear he started to hide a laugh again as well, he knows what he's saying is so ridiculous.
  • muddyyfunster 13 Jan 2021 14:59:13 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    And there you go.

The Sky headline at 1 o'clock is "An insult to families: The Government promises action".

I'd have gone with "An insult to families: Labour produces evidence that meagre food boxes were actually in line with the Governments own guidelines"

This shit matters, and we are being totally let down. Makes you feel a bit helpless. There's no pathway to make things better without the media doing some journalism.
    Urgh. BBC News coverage of school meals predictably misses the real point as well (i.e. Gov actually authorised this quantity of food as acceptable) in favour of more detail about a mother's sadness: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55641740

A case study of how the media lets the Government off the hook and negates opposition by selective reporting. Only mention of PMQ exchange:

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer challenged Boris Johnson on online images of the "disgraceful" food parcels during Wednesday's Prime Minister's Questions (PMQs).

Mr Johnson replied by saying the parcels pictured online were "appalling" and an "insult to the families that have received them".

Brilliant. So both were in total agreement that the images were bad and apparently that's all that was relevant. Nothing about what followed.

The article also actually contains a section on aspects of the guidelines without mentioning the bit that was rightly criticised which was the itemised quantity of food considered acceptable. It's practically defending them.
  • Dougs 13 Jan 2021 19:31:35 97,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1349410506461818882

Can't make this shit up
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 19:53:53 69,155 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pretty much the same bollocks as not being bothered to read the withdrawal agreement.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Jan 2021 19:58:12 29,481 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1349410506461818882

Can't make this shit up
    Utterly shameful, these fuckers need the guillotine.
  • Vortex808 13 Jan 2021 20:59:16 14,573 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That is hilarious, unbelievably incompetent and yet utterly unsurprising.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 23:33:51 69,155 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wow... they really do hate the poors don't they.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/pauline-latham-free-school-meals-channel-4-news-6901112

Fuck knows how you could call that shite a "balanced meal". Oi, Timmy, come and get your pasta and beans / dry bread cheese sandwich / half a pepper.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.