UK Politics Thread Page 79

• Deleted user 11 April 2019 16:43:48
    He's either going to be sentenced for the rest of his natural life to ADX in Colorado or be sent for a long detention in Thomas Silverstein's old digs Fort Leavenworth Kansas.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 16:44:12 11-04-2019
  • AaronTurner 11 Apr 2019 17:03:27 10,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Telegraph is backing Mark Francois for leader.

Oh the lols.
    His name sounds suspiciously european 🤔

Perhaps he is a trojan horse! Hes big enough to be one.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Apr 2019 17:10:01 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I'd don't find it too complex to be against sending people to the 'care' of the US justice system. Doubly so with this kind of thing, same as that hacker guy from a few years ago.
    I think there are a number of complexities. I think on the one hand whistleblowing to expose institutional illegal behaviour, corruption etc is obviously to be supported and there's a dangerous precedent being set here.

But equally anyone who knowingly commits a crime needs to hold themselves accountable for that, especially if they are potentially harming innocent people, which he was. So that is complex and I honestly don't know what the right outcome to that is.

And on top of that, he's potentially a serial sex offender who has managed to get away with his crimes by running from them, and it could be argued there is some justice in him being imprisoned, even if it's for a different crime, in an Al Capone kind of way. Again, not sure where I sit on that either, but I think it also adds complexity to the scenario.
  • disusedgenius 11 Apr 2019 17:16:21 9,793 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think you're looking at this from a 'should he stand trial at all' point of view, which fine but is different to the specific of sending him to the US for a trial of this nature.

I have no problem whatsoever with him being marched directly down to the Thames and put on a boat to Sweden.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Apr 2019 17:19:32 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, he's committed a crime in America. You can argue he's a freedom fighter and perhaps we should protect him (I can see that argument), but equally social activists should they choose to commit a crime, should really be prepared to accept the consequences of that. Again, all I'm really saying here is that there are several angles to this. I'm genuinely not sure where I land on it.

What I will say, if you'll excuse the Sun link, is that that's some top drawer headline capitalisation:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8843073/julian-assange-was-arrested-after-smearing-poo-all-over-the-walls-of-ecuadorian-embassy-minister-reveals/
  • disusedgenius 11 Apr 2019 17:38:00 9,793 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    You can argue he's a freedom fighter and perhaps we should protect him (I can see that argument)
    I'm not btw, I just think the punishment system in the US is (or has the potential to be) barbaric and unacceptable for a modern country to send people to.

[not that ours is getting much better of course :(]

Edited by disusedgenius at 17:40:22 11-04-2019
  • Sir_Stefansen 11 Apr 2019 19:16:53 501 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Now I tell you everything.
    Uk needs cards to play in the post-brexit for economic deals with the US. Assange, it's really sad to say, is one of these cards. This is realpolitik. We are all cards in a bigger game
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Apr 2019 19:25:22 10,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd play gin rummy with you Stef.
  • Sir_Stefansen 11 Apr 2019 19:34:14 501 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We all think the world is like chess, preparation and strategy, but often the chaos, the luck and the unpredictable stupidity of the protagonists players make it more like to the poker where craftiness and cockiness are dominant qualities
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Apr 2019 19:48:42 6,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sir_Stefansen wrote:
    Now I tell you everything.
    Uk needs cards to play in the post-brexit for economic deals with the US. Assange, it's really sad to say, is one of these cards. This is realpolitik. We are all cards in a bigger game
    Stef is secretly the mad hatter
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Apr 2019 20:00:08 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BTW just as an aside another 3 Labour council candidates were suspended for antisemitism today in Torbay.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 12:43:38 77,889 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You know you've lost the moral high ground when Farage is dunking on you in an article about not taking Aaron Banks dirty money...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/12/former-ukip-leader-nigel-farage-says-his-brexit-party-wont-take-money-from-arron-banks
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 13:54:17 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It sounds like the Swedish prosecutors might reopen the Assange rape case.

I don't think it would happen, but it would be imo the best possible outcome for him to be extradited to Sweden, not America, and goes to jail for rape, not leaking.
  • Psychotext 12 Apr 2019 14:05:53 64,996 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More likely that his original prediction comes true and he gets extradited to Sweden before being extradited to the US (gets around the promise not to extradite to a country that has the death penalty).
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 14:15:18 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think most likely is we will just extradite him to US directly. Sending him to Sweden just feels like trolling the US which I can't see May doing.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2019 14:26:29
    we should resist extradition to the US. prosecute him for skipping bail. and then hold him until sweden resubmit their warrant for arrest/extradition. suspect kalel is right though and heíll be extradited to US

extremely disappointing to hear diane abbott minimise the rape allegations against asarge on the today show this morning. the LOTOís tweet could have been much better too in acknowledging the legitimate questions asarge has to answer in re the sexual assault/rape allegations

Edited by the-cozen-show at 14:29:00 12-04-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 14:31:21 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    She didn't so much as minimise them as just completely not understand the facts of the situation at all. Again.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Apr 2019 16:57:22 6,099 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    She keeps getting diabetes you bully
  • Deleted user 12 April 2019 17:03:28
    classy
  • RichDC 12 Apr 2019 17:13:59 8,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dianne Abbot commenting on something she doesn't understand? I am shocked.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 19:18:00 10,272 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    She keeps getting diabetes you bully
    Come on man
  • JamboWayOh 12 Apr 2019 20:19:52 13,244 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm still confused why he's being called a journalist. As far as I'm aware he just released a massive load of secret cables without redacting any names of any third parties, possibly getting them killed. Case in point I think he's a egotistical cunt.
  • Load_2.0 12 Apr 2019 20:21:51 29,341 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought Assange might have a bunch of last resort insurance policy type reveals up his sleeve.

But it looks like he is just a poo smearing lady toucher.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 21:35:12 10,272 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SonShine wrote:
    It's probably a stitch up given the timings of the accusatuons, but jeez Asange doesn't half burn his bridges. He's annoyed most every liberal who would have been on his side by helping Trump to power, and if only a small percent of what Equador says is true he's taken the mick there.
    And he's an alleged rapist
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Apr 2019 08:16:46 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The one demanding extradition to Sweden? Whatís your issue with that (or him)?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2019 08:33:20 10,272 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There were allegations about Woodcock being inappropriate to women last year or the year before. They seem to have gone away but I don't know if that's because it couldn't be proved, didn't happen or Labour just has a slow internal disciplinary system.

He is one of the enemies within as far as Momentum types go so I doubt it's the latter.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Apr 2019 08:40:22 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I was hoping for H1ggy to explain it. The other day he quite rightly pointed out the nuance in Assange being a sex offender yet that not invalidating the broader debate around his extradition, so Iím interested to see how he explains not applying that same logic with Woodcock.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Apr 2019 08:46:09 15,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And also why H1ggy doesnít think Assange should be extradited to Sweden to stand trial for rape.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.