Following UK Politics Thread Page 786

• Carlo 16 Apr 2021 16:39:11 21,685 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    And how are the opposition supposed to hold the Government to account when they have an 80-seat majority? a) A lot of this has been done without Parliamentary scrutiny due to Covid, b) You need a large rebellion to defeat the Govt in any case - there haven't been any in the Commons (to my knowledge?) since the start of this Parliament. And c) Other methods of scrutiny (such as Select Committees) are weighted according to the Parliamentary majority and are quite ineffective as a result (and more are Chaired by Con MPs). Labour may well be as bad when in power but they aren't at the moment and haven't been for 13 years.
    Then lets talk about how we fix this problem, instead of presenting this like it's some Conservative Bogey-Man all the time and shouting down anyone who says the problem is the politicians and the parameters they should be allowed to operate under.

We removed monarchy and replaced it with this system because we knew having a ruling system that lets them do whatever the fuck they wanted without repercussions or governance was not a fair system and permitted corruption.

Literally looks like we have the same thing again, but with a pretence that there is an election to get change and our voices heard.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 16:43:31 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The problem *is* the tories and they are operating under a system that they have, in part, engineered to allow them and their friends to flourish.

But, moving past that, if I was elected PM tomorrow the first thing I would do would be to tear up media ownership laws and start again. Its an absolute cancer on this country and responsible for the majority of the issues we face today.
  • Carlo 16 Apr 2021 16:49:26 21,685 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem *is* the tories and they are operating under a system that they have, in part, engineered to allow them and their friends to flourish.

But, moving past that, if I was elected PM tomorrow the first thing I would do would be to tear up media ownership laws and start again. Its an absolute cancer on this country and responsible for the majority of the issues we face today.
    And my argument, Nick, is that it's the Conservatives only because they are in power at the moment. Next election, if Labour take the majority, we'll see the same thing, and same lack of being held to account.

I'd vote for you Nick, if for nothing else, to see you winding everyone up on TV and getting roars of laughter as you troll whoever is on the other side of the bench.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 16:59:47 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The trick is just getting people to give a fuck again. I know theres a debate being had over patriotism at the moment but I think if you genuinely love your country and want the best for it, you want these cunts to look out for us and not themselves at the very least. As a country we deserve better than these guys and they arent going to change until we make them.

If nothing else, its just embarrassing to think the world sees this lot as the best we can do.
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Apr 2021 17:09:15 5,196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Shame boris didn't get invite to an saudi embassy...

Saudi crown prince asked Boris Johnson to intervene in Newcastle United bid
    Mohammed bin Salman warned of damage to Saudi-UK relations if Premier League refusal not ‘corrected’
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/15/saudis-asked-boris-johnson-to-intervene-in-newcastle-united-bid
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 17:14:04 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its like how people are asking why the government havent put India on a no-fly zone yet. And in unrelated news, Boris is going on a jolly over to india to lick some arses for trade talks.

They dont give a fuck about you or me.

Edited by nickthegun at 17:14:40 16-04-2021
  • Dgzter 16 Apr 2021 17:21:38 3,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I only recently remembered, with a bit of a grim irony, that it was Hancock who had the culture brief at the time when they axed Leveson 2. Would love to know just how much was donated (and by whom) to the 2018 Tory election campaign on account of that little nugget in May's manifesto.
  • TheSaint 16 Apr 2021 17:23:54 20,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

And my argument, Nick, is that it's the Conservatives only because they are in power at the moment. Next election, if Labour take the majority, we'll see the same thing, and same lack of being held to account.

I'd vote for you Nick, if for nothing else, to see you winding everyone up on TV and getting roars of laughter as you troll whoever is on the other side of the bench.
    That's just clearly not true though. We had over a decade of Labour government and nowhere near the levels of cronyism/corruption, we are seeing at the moment.

Back then scandals actually took down MPs that misbehaved because the papers didn't have a vested interest in keeping them in power.
  • TheSaint 16 Apr 2021 17:26:59 20,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    At any other time in our modern history if the PM had given his mistress £160k of public money he would have had to resign. Now the right-wing press ignores it and the BBC are terrified of the government so it just gets swept under the carpet.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 17:27:38 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Mandelson Passport "scandal" would barely register in this government, much less see anyone actually resign for it.
  • Dgzter 16 Apr 2021 17:30:40 3,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Back then scandals actually took down MPs that misbehaved because the papers didn't have a vested interest in keeping them in power.
    Yup. And as a recent example, see the absolute rank hypocrisy in the different coverage over Patel's flagrant breach of the ministerial code in relation to bullying in Whitehall, which precipitated the resignation of the government's own independent advisor to said code, with Sturgeon's alleged technical breach of which she was subsequently exonerated.

It's obviously the most pointless observation to make, but the press in the UK is really in the fucking gutter.
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Apr 2021 17:44:09 5,196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The sad fact is starmer is doing a bad job and the corbyn cult fucking hate him (reddit can be cesspool most of the time) but the labour subreddit and other related ones pretty blame him for the "dear leader/magic grandad" not being in charge. Libs dems are hopeless, would have to google to see who was party leader
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2021 18:42:54 99,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I don't think he's doing a bad job, he's caught between a rock and a hard place. Any criticism of Govt handling of the pandemic is met with "like you'd have done better". Needs to keep the brexity red wall voters vaguely onside until an election is likely. The trouble is, they read the same right wing press who conveniently keep quiet about any failures. He does need more policies for sure, but now isn't the time to announce them as no one is listening. Things will start to ramp up towards the end of the year/early next I think.

Edited by Dougs at 18:50:30 16-04-2021
  • disusedgenius 16 Apr 2021 18:46:27 10,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He's certainly been burning some left wing bridges with some of the things he's supporting/saying to win back some of the ex-red wallers who aren't as socially liberal as the average Labour base.

But honestly until we're a year gone from the pandemic it'll be hard to see what a general election will actually looks like. tbh unless he's prepared to hold his nose and grant the SNP a referendum in exchange for support it won't matter anyway.
  • RichDC 16 Apr 2021 18:49:57 9,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't think Starmer is doing to bad a job, though I don't agree with every decision he's made. He is routinely eviscerating Johnson in PMQs whilst still having to deal with the Corbynite faction in his own party who like a group of spoilt children don't want him to succeed.

Edited by RichDC at 18:50:13 16-04-2021
  • Not-a-reviewer 16 Apr 2021 18:57:43 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Announcing policies now would be pointless, anything that is popular enough will be twisted and used by the conservatives when it gets to election time. Right now all there is is questioning and putting pressure on the government and highlighting when they are doing bad things.
  • mothercruncher 16 Apr 2021 19:02:37 19,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The press thing is relevant here too. He might be eviscerating Johnson regularly, but who’s hearing about it?
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Apr 2021 08:42:18 5,196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    The press thing is relevant here too. He might be eviscerating Johnson regularly, but who’s hearing about it?
    good point, you never hear about it as I don't watch PMQ and I guess a lot of people don't
  • ResidentKnievel 18 Apr 2021 21:31:54 7,565 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ‘Fire and rehire’ tactics rife at firms that are in profit and claiming Covid cash

11 years of Tories and counting.
  • TheSaint 19 Apr 2021 08:54:12 20,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    ‘Fire and rehire’ tactics rife at firms that are in profit and claiming Covid cash

11 years of Tories and counting.
    You'll make Carlo sad saying stuff like that.
  • nickthegun 19 Apr 2021 09:03:46 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    2016 was also a referendum on allowing companies to fuck their employees again. Pimlico Plumbers Happy Shopper Rod Stewart guy told me this is a good thing.

Enjoy!
  • IRWATWO 19 Apr 2021 10:40:01 1,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/19/parties-inquiry-boris-johnson-failurehonest

They just noticed.
  • X201 20 Apr 2021 14:41:04 21,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Covid contracts: PPE fixer who was Tory donor named in admin error

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56667960

I'm sure they gave contracts to Labour and Lib Dem donors too.
  • IMO 20 Apr 2021 20:06:59 7,629 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Covid contracts: PPE fixer who was Tory donor named in admin error

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56667960

I'm sure they gave contracts to Labour and Lib Dem donors too.
    Typical biased left-wing media. Where are all the articles detailing all the cronies who Labour might have given dodgy contracts to if they happened to have been in the same position as the completely non-corrupt Tories?!
  • challenge_hanukkah 20 Apr 2021 20:48:52 14,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but have any of the labour voters adopted any kids?

I thought not.
  • TheSaint 20 Apr 2021 20:55:28 20,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see they’ve scraped plans to use that new briefing room after wasting all that cash renovating it:

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1384569305031974917?s=21
  • X201 21 Apr 2021 07:14:38 21,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Want a tax exemption for your staff?

Bozza “will fix it”

Boris Johnson told Sir James Dyson by text he would 'fix' tax issue https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56819137
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Apr 2021 08:31:52 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I see they’ve scraped plans to use that new briefing room after wasting all that cash renovating it:

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1384569305031974917?s=21
    A Boris vanity project wasting millions? Surely not!

He wants to get chatting to some youtubers if a webcam and blue screen has cost him that much. Gotta get a deal or sponsorship in place for next time.
  • nickthegun 21 Apr 2021 08:54:48 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    “This ministerial briefing was brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends. Download it from the App Store now”
  • elstoof 21 Apr 2021 09:01:34 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    “You know I’ve called you here to talk to you today about the recent devestating spike in covid cases, but first I want to talk to you about squarespace, they made it so easy to start my website that I didn’t even need the IT lessons from Jennifer Arcuri in the end, click the link below to see how you can free up more time for adultery. Ok, first questions please”
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.