Following UK Politics Thread Page 824

  • Zyrr 15 Jun 2021 13:58:29 551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    They’ll do what the likes of talk radio did and others do (see Piers Morgan’s career). Viewing figures low/dropping off so get a few more cunts on and presenting to attract the social media outrage and viewers to follow. LBC did the same.

    It might be trickier with tv than radio but it’ll get there.
    OFCOM is their enemy when it comes to attracting new cuntish talent and they're painfully aware of that.
    Except the government looking for the likes of Paul Dacre to run that, suddenly they won’t have that problem.
    I'm almost certain Dacre is going to get the job at this point:

    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/may/27/ministers-restart-recruitment-for-ofcom-chair-after-paul-dacre-is-rejected

    Rather than accept the decision and choose another candidate who was approved, ministers have instead decided to start the process from scratch, allowing Dacre a second chance at the job.
    I think they'll just keep bending the rules and restarting the selection process until the interview board get the message and they get their man installed.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2021 14:02:12 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, they're not even pretending anymore with how openly corrupt they are. But you know, BRITAIN and bezzer mate BOJO.
  • brokenkey 15 Jun 2021 15:49:40 11,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/14/gb-news-launch-gains-more-viewers-than-bbc-or-sky-news-channels

    The fuss people are making about this seems counter-productive, it's just going to get them more eyeballs.
    What amazes me about this is that you have to get your tv or freeview/sat box to do a channel re-scan in order to pick the channel up, and I'm hard pushed to believe people do that process often enough to get the new channel.

    Edited by brokenkey at 15:49:50 15-06-2021
  • Sharz 15 Jun 2021 16:51:33 2,115 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @brokenkey

    Many TVs auto do this in the background. My Panasonic TX-55FZ802 for example already had the channel listed (on freesat anyway don't use freeview) but sure as hell never scanned for it.
  • sdmilne 15 Jun 2021 20:22:52 16 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    askew wrote:
    True, that's some good lurkin'/unused sock
    Or I just found someone saying it was a letdown she works for GB News but they'd still bang her a bit disgusting?
  • captbirdseye 15 Jun 2021 20:32:35 11,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What if it said Andrew Neil? Doesn't everyone want to bang him.
  • Not-a-reviewer 15 Jun 2021 20:46:24 7,640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is how gbnews goes away: https://boycottgbnews.org/advertisers
  • TheSaint 15 Jun 2021 21:23:02 20,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looks like they are having some success getting companies to pull their ads.
  • Dougs 15 Jun 2021 21:30:49 100,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It does play in to their cancel culture narrative but lack of funding is definitely how to end it long term.
  • Your-Mother 15 Jun 2021 21:34:43 8,011 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Looks like they are having some success getting companies to pull their ads.
    Based on the statements it looks like GB News made a huge number of assumptions about being able to air the ads anyway (or just flat out didn't care and/or were incompetent), wouldn't be surprised if it snowballed.

    Edited by Your-Mother at 21:35:05 15-06-2021
  • IMO 15 Jun 2021 21:37:02 7,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It does play in to their cancel culture narrative but lack of funding is definitely how to end it long term.
    Any sort of negative interaction is going to feed into their narrative somehow. It's all completely artificial and entirely manufactured.
  • askew 15 Jun 2021 21:50:06 24,005 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sdmilne wrote:
    askew wrote:
    True, that's some good lurkin'/unused sock
    Or I just found someone saying it was a letdown she works for GB News but they'd still bang her a bit disgusting?
    I gave two options. Still counts as some good lurking.
  • X201 15 Jun 2021 22:12:55 22,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Looks like they are having some success getting companies to pull their ads.
    Based on the statements it looks like GB News made a huge number of assumptions about being able to air the ads anyway (or just flat out didn't care and/or were incompetent), wouldn't be surprised if it snowballed.
    I think it’s a case of an advert broker placing your add on channels that match any target demographics for your product. The client has to specifically state if they don’t want to appear in the ad break of ‘Pig Fondling: Live’ or whatever.
  • Technoishmatt 15 Jun 2021 22:57:05 5,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I understand they actually need to make their money from premium subscribers, and that ads will never help them break even (even with their ambitious viewership forecast).
  • BreadBinLidHero 15 Jun 2021 23:22:17 10,739 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They'll get propped up by some cashed-up right-wing cunts, no doubt.
  • nickthegun 15 Jun 2021 23:31:27 87,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Funnily enough, everyone who has put money into GB News is a non-dom, including Andrew Neil who lives in France.

    Such is their pride and love of Britain.
  • captbirdseye 15 Jun 2021 23:57:00 11,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They will either fall foul to Ofcom or people will just end up getting bored of it. In the past few days they've had the same few guests not really saying anything.

    It's also a very weird channel that doesn't really have any news. I do love the Vauxhall conference look of the advertisement boards in the majority of the live interviews.
  • Not-a-reviewer 16 Jun 2021 06:53:28 7,640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IMO wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    It does play in to their cancel culture narrative but lack of funding is definitely how to end it long term.
    Any sort of negative interaction is going to feed into their narrative somehow. It's all completely artificial and entirely manufactured.
    It can feed into it but if they have no money to keep going then they’ll be gone eventually. Their backers will look somewhere else instead of keep throwing money away.
  • TheSaint 16 Jun 2021 07:53:03 20,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Seems they aren’t screening the emails before they end up on air:

    https://twitter.com/cartyrubble/status/1404867489809457156?s=21
  • Decks 16 Jun 2021 08:04:22 30,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I put it on for a bit yesterday and it was an absolute shambles. Microphones not working properly, the camera focusing in on the presenter that wasn't speaking while she seemingly had an existential crisis, the male presenter kept picking his phone up and putting it in a different place on the desk for some reason, they kept saying they were going to someone else then it not working. And this was all in about 15 minutes. Really enjoyed it.
  • creepiest-lizard 16 Jun 2021 08:07:39 2,868 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reminds me of when Channel 5 started.
    At least they had The Red Shoe Diaries to make up for it.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 08:14:53 121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Could definitely go for a bit of fash-adjacent soft grot.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 08:17:42 121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    IMO wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    It does play in to their cancel culture narrative but lack of funding is definitely how to end it long term.
    Any sort of negative interaction is going to feed into their narrative somehow. It's all completely artificial and entirely manufactured.
    It can feed into it but if they have no money to keep going then they’ll be gone eventually. Their backers will look somewhere else instead of keep throwing money away.
    If they can establish a near-permanent right-wing cultural hegemony, they will keep throwing money at it. I strongly suspect it isn't entirely a commercial enterprise so much as a constantly on political campaign.
  • DaM 16 Jun 2021 11:07:42 17,717 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Loved the description of universities as "woketopia headquarters"!

    We are all laughing at it, but the target gammon audience will lap it up and spread the bollocks spouted. Twitter and FB bots will spam "edgy" clips.
  • BreadBinLidHero 16 Jun 2021 11:59:57 10,739 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Loved the description of universities as "woketopia headquarters"!

    We are all laughing at it, but the target gammon audience will lap it up and spread the bollocks spouted. Twitter and FB bots will spam "edgy" clips.
    This is it. If it's telling people want they want to hear it won't matter how crappy it is.
  • Dougs 16 Jun 2021 12:12:15 100,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They will, but if the rest of us don't give it oxygen by getting outraged, it'll be nothing more than a sideshow
  • nickthegun 16 Jun 2021 13:12:16 87,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Loved the description of universities as "woketopia headquarters"!
    Conveniently overlooking the fact that they all went to university and that universities have always been left leaning, yet here we are with this government and this media.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 13:18:43 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Loved the description of universities as "woketopia headquarters"!
    Conveniently overlooking the fact that they all went to university and that universities have always been left leaning, yet here we are with this government and this media.
    Shhh, you're saying the quiet part loud.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 13:26:03 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great insight
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.