Following UK Politics Thread Page 825

• simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Jun 2021 13:26:38 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know its neither here nor there given the state of Britain today but I don’t think that the culture wars stuff or the dodgy cabinet represent true conservatism as its been in the UK over the decades. It feels closer to a less radical take on the libertarians who’ve hijacked the GOP.

Plus some incompetent hangers on.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 13:28:26 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I know its neither here nor there given the state of Britain today but I don’t think that the culture wars stuff or the dodgy cabinet represent true conservatism as its been in the UK over the decades. It feels closer to a less radical take on the libertarians who’ve hijacked the GOP.

I would disagree that Libertarians have hijacked the GoP. This is a different breed altogether.
  • nickthegun 16 Jun 2021 13:33:29 87,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They are there deliberately, which is arguably the most egregious part of it. The cabinet is almost entirely manned with useful idiots.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 13:37:05 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know why they don't just clone an army of Chris Graylings and be done with it.
  • Load_2.0 16 Jun 2021 14:02:01 33,520 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oops too slow.

Better in the Partridge thread.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 14:05:07 16-06-2021
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 15:38:39 121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    bigbollocks wrote:
    Dominic Cummings, what a despicable character.
    Currently being more effective than LOTO.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 15:39:48 121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago

After a period of time, incompetence begins to closely resemble malice.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 15:41:56 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm I guess, Patel is just malicious, Hancock and Raab are incompetence personified. Gove is the British Lindsay Graham ready to ride the coat tails of anyone who can get him into a positon of authority.
  • hillbilly66 16 Jun 2021 15:44:26 3,466 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stems to my mind from Trumps bosted personality more than an adherence to any ideology. With so much of politics being about priority and subjective perspective, it turned out to be ripe for manipulation.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 15:47:29 121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Hmmm I guess, Patel is just malicious, Hancock and Raab are incompetence personified. Gove is the British Lindsay Graham ready to ride the coat tails of anyone who can get him into a positon of authority.
    Why as a leader keep incompetent people in charge? He clearly heard what was going on, and did... well, the technical term is "absolutely fuck all."
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 15:50:56 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    G0atApocalypse wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Why as a leader keep incompetent people in charge? He clearly heard what was going on, and did... well, the technical term is "absolutely fuck all."
    For the same reason why he's polling so well, all these people are scapegoats and Boris has throughout been Teflon incarnate. Just listen to all the people who routinely defend him. It's worked an absolute treat.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 16:14:44 121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @JamboWayOh exactly. It's not incompetence.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Jun 2021 16:29:02 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    The fact you did not add Jacob Rees mogg to the list worries me for the future of the UK. He is being silenced to ensure he is a viable candidate to take over from boris isn’t he.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 16:35:16 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    The fact you did not add Jacob Rees mogg to the list worries me for the future of the UK. He is being silenced to ensure he is a viable candidate to take over from boris isn’t he.
    Well he's just a cunt. He's very competent at that.
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Jun 2021 16:52:04 5,510 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mogg is a massive cunt, seems the type to remove more workers rights like sick pay, paid holidays etc. He looks like evil Victorian time traveller already. Vile family of cunts going back to his grandfather iirc.
  • hillbilly66 16 Jun 2021 16:53:15 3,466 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Charles Dickens evil uncle
  • drhickman1983 16 Jun 2021 16:55:10 7,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dominic Cummings is a knob, but this from his blog did make me lol a bit

"Under Raab, the meetings were less pleasant for everybody but much more productive because unlike the PM a) Raab can chair meetings properly instead of telling rambling stories and jokes, b) he let good officials actually question people so we started to get to the truth, unlike the PM who as soon as things get 'a bit embarrassing' does the whole 'let's take it offline' shtick before shouting 'forward to victory', doing a thumbs-up and pegging it out of the room before anybody can disagree."
  • JamboWayOh 16 Jun 2021 16:55:21 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    mogg is a massive cunt, seems the type to remove more workers rights like sick pay, paid holidays etc. He looks like evil Victorian time traveller already. Vile family of cunts going back to his grandfather iirc.
    This is the stuff that Patel and Raab believe. I can't remember the book they all contributed on but all their 'aspirations' for Britain are all there. Every single cuntish idea.
  • askew 16 Jun 2021 17:10:40 24,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The texts have made me chuckle too, despite their serious nature:

Cummings: long spiel full of acronyms
    Johnson: sounds brill lol !
  • TheSaint 16 Jun 2021 17:14:00 20,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's triggered an awful lot of people with GB News profile pics on Twitter. They just keep going on about the official secrets act.
  • nickthegun 16 Jun 2021 18:45:36 87,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well, the funny thing about that is that he either conducted these conversations on a personal device with no controls or he did it on a work phone and screen capped a load of shit because he knew he would need it
  • askew 16 Jun 2021 18:52:03 24,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No wonder they are using the disappearing messages now.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 18:53:02 121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Cummings could easily claim he's a whistleblower.
  • Dougs 16 Jun 2021 19:06:17 100,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    askew wrote:
    For the most part, it's informal messaging that doesn't need to be recorded for the official record. Arranging meetings, general chit chat, very rarely anything of significance. Not saying it doesn't happen but anything of note isn't done on IM.
  • X201 16 Jun 2021 21:02:46 22,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    It's triggered an awful lot of people with GB News profile pics on Twitter. They just keep going on about the official secrets act.
    “The official secrets act is there to protect officials, not secrets” - Sir Humphrey
  • IMO 16 Jun 2021 22:15:36 7,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    askew wrote:
    For the most part, it's informal messaging that doesn't need to be recorded for the official record. Arranging meetings, general chit chat, very rarely anything of significance. Not saying it doesn't happen but anything of note isn't done on IM.
    I feel like it should all be recorded for posterity and we, the people can be the judges of what is significant. Self-deleting records of government activity are just an invitation for trouble.
  • G0atApocalypse 16 Jun 2021 22:17:48 121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Legislation governing this sort of thing is about four lightyears behind modern methods of communication. I wouldn't hold your breath on any SIs or new laws to correct that.
  • chopsen 17 Jun 2021 00:57:58 21,927 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Dominic Cummings is a knob, but this from his blog did make me lol a bit

"Under Raab, the meetings were less pleasant for everybody but much more productive because unlike the PM a) Raab can chair meetings properly instead of telling rambling stories and jokes, b) he let good officials actually question people so we started to get to the truth, unlike the PM who as soon as things get 'a bit embarrassing' does the whole 'let's take it offline' shtick before shouting 'forward to victory', doing a thumbs-up and pegging it out of the room before anybody can disagree."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained

I think there are more people on the left who are angry about that book than there are people who have read it of any political persuasion.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2021 06:52:48 100,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @IMO welcome to browse my office bants if you want.
  • captbirdseye 17 Jun 2021 07:27:31 11,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @IMO welcome to browse my office bants if you want.
    You can have mine as well which is just full of gif bants.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.