UK Politics Thread Page 110

• chopsen 11 May 2019 22:33:12 20,490 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    In the 90s, say, these feelings and opinions may have existed around the edges but those people weren't anywhere near the leadership or internal leavers of power..
    Well, that's what I'm curious about.

There seems to be a lot of retconning that era of labour for all sorts of reasons. I've seen a lot of people wanting to disown Blair era Labour as an anomaly, even to the point of casting it as some kind of globalist "neo-liberal" period. Despite them explicitly raising taxes to pay for public services. Similarly i've seen a lot of people going "who? me!?!" when the antisemitism thing started getting airtime, pointing to that era as what they mean by Labour. Yet some of those who are held up as examples of antisemitism are very much established names in the party who rose to prominence : e.g. Ken Livingstone and George Galloway.

I have no idea what your age is, but I'm guessing most of us here on this here thread were at most in our 20s when Blair era labour was a thing. And that's a naive age in many ways. I feel there's an conflict here about the ownership of the labour movement, in a fairly fundamental way, and now I'm tapping that out it's obvious.

On a side note: can we all agree that Seumus Milne is a wanker?

Edited by chopsen at 22:33:51 11-05-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 06:12:43 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I only really picked the Blair era to illustrate how drastic the changing of the guard has been within party structures. For example, Andrew Rawnsley's epic insider informed account of New Labour in the 00s End Of The Party contains not a single mention of Corbyn and only one of McDonnell in 500+ pages. The current leadership and the entire movement around them simply weren't important or influential enough to figure even as the most relevant dissenting voices of the era.

Even those who were established names - Galloway, Livingston - were so because they were hangovers from an earlier time who refused to go away as quietly as Campbell would have wanted.

I didn't mean to say New Labour were great and today's are evil but it is true that the types of antisemitic conspiracy theories which have become mainstream within the party are from a wing which had no influence then and which runs the party now.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 06:13:35 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And yes, Milne is a particularly bad egg
  • Dougs 12 May 2019 06:44:58 88,895 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Christ, this country deserves everything that it gets. Imagine voting in a GE for a party with no policies whatsoever. Bunch of fucking (racist) idiots.
  • JamboWayOh 12 May 2019 08:19:08 12,739 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Christ, this country deserves everything that it gets. Imagine voting in a GE for a party with no policies whatsoever. Bunch of fucking (racist) idiots.
    Tbh, isn't this what Farage has always done, provide very simple solutions for very complex issues that don't stand up to any scrutiny but for some reason everyone becomes very shit scared of him and copies his rhetoric rather than calling him out. I feel like I'm in fucking Groundhog Day right now.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 May 2019 10:10:37 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Is it bad that you could be talking about any of the parties at this point.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 10:27:01 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Tbh, isn't this what Farage has always done, provide very simple solutions for very complex issues that don't stand up to any scrutiny but for some reason everyone becomes very shit scared of him and copies his rhetoric rather than calling him out. I feel like I'm in fucking Groundhog Day right now.
    I stand by my opinion that Nigel Farage is the most successful British politician of the last millennium so far.

He's got the Tories and Labour fully committed to delivering his promises and then Brexit Party and UKIP keeping the pressure on them to push further into anti-immigrant rhetoric and the culture wars thing keeps him super high profile.

He's a big part of the tabliodisation of the quality right wing press too.
  • RobAnybody 12 May 2019 11:14:09 1,691 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

I stand by my opinion that Nigel Farage is the most successful British politician of the last millennium so far.
    It's a pity that he's such a hateful, selfish little fucker who just loves to sow the seeds of division and hatred wrapped up in lies. If only he was selflessly doing what's best for the people and the country instead of what's best for himself and his rich associates .....
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 11:53:58 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That is a definite negative but it's hard to argue that he hasn't achieved more of what he intended than most in the game
  • JamboWayOh 12 May 2019 13:19:33 12,739 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh yeah for sure, he's a very successful cunt who still can't get elected as MP all without a shot being fired....
  • JoelStinty 12 May 2019 13:39:55 7,766 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Like trump and bannon etc he knows how to game the system and even now, I don’t think the media quite know how to handle him. It doesn’t really matter how much he gets pulled apart his disciples will claim anything he says as a win , and in an age of social media anything he appears on can be cut and shared to make him look good.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 15:40:26 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Like trump and bannon etc he knows how to game the system and even now, I don’t think the media quite know how to handle him. It doesn’t really matter how much he gets pulled apart his disciples will claim anything he says as a win , and in an age of social media anything he appears on can be cut and shared to make him look good.
    But enough about Jeremy Corbyn
  • JamboWayOh 12 May 2019 16:05:07 12,739 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    But enough about Jeremy Corbyn
    Ooooh ZING!
  • Robospud 12 May 2019 16:16:05 12 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    And yet some people are so brainwashed they’d rather let all this slide so they can have a dig at anyone with progressive social democratic policies instead.
  • JamboWayOh 12 May 2019 17:25:20 12,739 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really weird how Britain keeps giving this cunt the time of day and giving him legitimacy. Seriously fuck Labour and the Tories for fueling this situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/12/farage-criticised-for-using-antisemitic-themes-to-criticise-soros
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 17:39:04 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't know how he keeps getting such a free pass.

I remember once reading a thing that said he was a delight as a guest and always willing to give producers what they want whereas lefties tend to be more awkward and difficult behind the scenes but it's been over a decade, it can't still be manners, can it?!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 May 2019 17:52:55 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And Labour's response to the hate and division sown by Farage?

Do more to enable his ideas
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/12/brexit-failure-to-deliver-support-nigel-farage-party-barry-gardiner-labour

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 17:53:10 12-05-2019
  • DaM 13 May 2019 13:08:54 17,305 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    At least in Scotland, the Tories have a very clear policy.

"No to a second referendum, No to bad Nicola, No to second indy ref, Ruth Ruth Ruth!!!".

I' m not joking, that's it.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 May 2019 13:11:44 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    At least in Scotland, the Tories have a very clear policy.

"No to a second referendum, No to bad Nicola, No to second indy ref, Ruth Ruth Ruth!!!".

I' m not joking, that's it.
    To be fair, that is still more of policy than the Rest of the UK which is...

'willovthapeoples'

or Labours policy of

'for the many, not the Jew' (stolen from I cant remember where)

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 13:12:35 13-05-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 May 2019 13:25:56 15,324 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And their Brexit policy of 'it's whatever you want it to be except secretly it's Leave'.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2019 13:32:10
    It's not the UK or the EU that is the problem, it is the people (lol).

We are selfish none intelligent stupid homo sapiens.

Why, because we are at square one. And if we are not careful at WW3.

Yes, in my -not wanted- opinion, it is the unfortunate Truth.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 May 2019 13:41:20 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good cop, bad cop
    Gaslighting
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/13/labour-remain-reform-eu-tom-watson
  • Deleted user 13 May 2019 13:44:03
    In the Netherlands, we call it 'poppenkast'. Politcians do not care about the people (us) but themselves, the're party or god.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2019 13:45:12
    We need people that remind us that WORKING TOGETHER is the only thing that saves us from downfall decay and narcism.

Edited by LifeIsStrange at 13:45:37 13-05-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 May 2019 13:47:40 10,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's cowardly. We all know they're voting for and working toward an exit deal and that the leaderships preferred position is out. They're just too scared to face their remainy membership and admit that they are leavers who want to end freedom of movement to lock out migrant workers
  • Deleted user 13 May 2019 13:48:01
    I am very dissapointed at UK and NL for being selfish. Maybe it is a minorty, but it doesn't seems that way. Does it.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2019 13:48:48
    Stay. Forget brexit. It is the only sane thing to do.
  • mothercruncher 13 May 2019 15:13:34 16,142 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bit rich you talking about sanity.
  • grey_matters 13 May 2019 17:19:08 4,675 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's nothing particularly new in this but it is another example of the direction that things take when a certain atmosphere is allowed to grow/fester. There's been outright racism on the streets after the Brexit referendum, anti-semitic statements seem fine now to certain people in the Labour organisation, and then there's this stuff. As someone here has already kinda said, the lack of officers being looked at is also significant.

Ballymurphy Inquest
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 May 2019 09:54:07 15,324 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    “The protection of antisemites was on a scale and at a level the public does not begin to understand”.

https://twitter.com/duncanm/status/1128558920346341376?s=21

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.