UK Politics Thread Page 239

• You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jul 2019 10:36:50 16,067 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    He started using terms like 'bad faith actors' near the end and excusing Labour and its problematic behaviour with beauties such as as 'what about Morecambe?'
    He also responded to the news about the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre by demanding my position on Israel/Palestine.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 10:45:38 13,563 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    He started using terms like 'bad faith actors' near the end and excusing Labour and its problematic behaviour with beauties such as as 'what about Morecambe?'
    He also responded to the news about the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre by demanding my position on Israel/Palestine.
    Christ, that's definitely what the situation called for.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jul 2019 11:17:32 16,067 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Labour completely humiliated in Bridlington North

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1149456877509648389?s=21
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jul 2019 11:18:34 16,067 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unreal result for the Lib Dems.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Jul 2019 11:19:37 13,397 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The tories certainly took a beating as well.

Although in normal polling they seem to be neck and neck with the tories again https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1149620413078466560?s=19
  • General_Martok 12 Jul 2019 11:23:16 712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Labour completely humiliated in Bridlington North

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1149456877509648389?s=21
    Beautiful.
  • disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 11:42:01 9,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely seeing an increase of 'Yellow Tory' comments in the comments of any LDM success stories on Twitter. If I've got one hope for the next leader it's that they manage to get a bit more of a handle on that and try to appeal to Labour voters as well as the Tory ones.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jul 2019 12:01:54 10,554 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Corbyn loyalists think you're a Tory if you vote Green or for the wrong kind of Labour candidate so I don't think those comments are going anywhere.

An interesting vote to watch could be next Thursdays Northumbria PCC by-election. Turnout has been vanishingly small for the PCCs and the Labour incumbent has stood down to pursue another role. As with everywhere else Labour's vote has been on the decline in the region.

Candidates standing are Labour, Tory, Lib Dem and an independent who was promised to stop 'political correctness' getting in the way of the polis doing their job.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jul 2019 12:04:35 10,554 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you ever needed further evidence of his lying racist ways it here is a list of EDL child sexual offenders that Stephen Yaxley-Lennon has defended or refused to condemn

https://twitter.com/camcamdamn/status/1149311833091780609?s=21

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 12:05:08 12-07-2019
  • disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 12:05:49 9,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Corbyn loyalists think you're a Tory if you vote Green or for the wrong kind of Labour candidate so I don't think those comments are going anywhere.
    Oh for sure, it's more that they tend to go unanswered or not taken seriously enough. I don't even think the comments are completely without merit, just kinda weird.

Edited by disusedgenius at 12:06:16 12-07-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Jul 2019 12:07:32 10,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They're fucking mental. One described Billy Bragg as far right as Paddy Ashdown. The idea that either is anywhere close to right wing is laughable. Is it just political ignorance are are they actually delusional?

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 12:22:58 12-07-2019
  • nickthegun 12 Jul 2019 12:14:46 78,075 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Speaking of which, I see Momentum are on a push to make it easier to deselect their own MPs.

Nice seat you got there, shame if you did any wrongthink...
  • Dougs 12 Jul 2019 12:30:08 89,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The all began under Ed Milliband, didn't it? More democracy in the party etc. Sounds good in theory, until the cranks are in charge...
  • Load_2.0 12 Jul 2019 12:38:08 29,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Speaking of Momentum, I think Kalel mentioned it previously but if they had called themselves the "Remain Party" they would have fared better.

The Lib Dems are reaping the rewards now which isn't a bad thing.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 12:39:36 13,563 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you ever needed further evidence of his lying racist ways it here is a list of EDL child sexual offenders that Stephen Yaxley-Lennon has defended or refused to condemn

https://twitter.com/camcamdamn/status/1149311833091780609?s=21
    God, the details of some those 'upstanding' folk make your stomach turn. The one where a member crept in a window and raped a woman while she lay next to her baby is horrifying.
  • Dougs 12 Jul 2019 12:44:19 89,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wow. I'd not seen it set out like that before.
  • nickthegun 12 Jul 2019 12:44:31 78,075 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    They are also benefitting from being the least worst. If you were a tory voter and realised, rather awkwardly, that you had a soul or a Labour voter who had enough of the collective madness gripping the party, who else are you going to vote for?*

*Yes, in the latter case, the green party
  • AaronTurner 12 Jul 2019 12:45:08 10,989 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Speaking of Momentum, I think Kalel mentioned it previously but if they had called themselves the "Remain Party" they would have fared better.

Yes it is, the Lib Dems decisions contributed to the hundred thousand deaths or so as a result of austerity. They also alienated their own electorate by breaking promises. I mean they were as bad as the tories.

Even so, I quite like Cable and they did have some good policies. Itís a shame they pretty much fucked up every one at the first sniff or power.
  • monkman76 12 Jul 2019 12:59:40 14,808 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They were not anything like as bad as the Tories, who were by far the senior partner in that coalition. But boy were they punished far harder than the Tories were for it.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jul 2019 13:00:48 16,067 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

Think youíre confusing Change/Independent with Momentum, but yeah.
  • Technoishmatt 12 Jul 2019 13:02:45 3,437 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hello, do you need an education in what it means to be the very junior partner in a coalition in a parliament where there was no majority party?
  • nickthegun 12 Jul 2019 13:03:06 78,075 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The thing is, they did absolutely hit rock bottom and, unusually, seem to have learned from it.

They lost me as a voter and, I thought, irreparably tarnished the party. Farron finally fucking off seems to have been a turning point and it does appear that they have been through a genuine period of self-reflection so they have gone some way to earning my trust back.

Once bitten and all that but you would hope that the almost complete annihilation of the party would prevent them from a moral prolapse should they get into a position of power.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Jul 2019 13:03:46 26,859 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:

Yes it is, the Lib Dems decisions contributed to the hundred thousand deaths or so as a result of austerity. They also alienated their own electorate by breaking promises. I mean they were as bad as the tories.

Even so, I quite like Cable and they did have some good policies. Itís a shame they pretty much fucked up every one at the first sniff or power.
    They did not, the list of evil shit they stopped the stories doing is pretty fucking long.
  • TheSaint 12 Jul 2019 13:08:05 18,634 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:

Worth keeping this in mind as well:

https://fullfact.org/health/130000-preventable-deaths-austerity/
  • DJCopa 12 Jul 2019 13:11:51 1,958 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I get the harking back to LibDem breaking policies, but if you can't move on and accept parties can change/evolve, then you must still blame Labour for the Gulf War.

'You', in this context, is used for the general public.
  • gang_of_bitches 12 Jul 2019 13:21:15 5,696 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:

I'm sorry but this attitude really annoys me. The Lib Dems did not break their manifesto promises as those promises were contingent on them winning the election which they very much didn't do.

What they did do was step in at a time of economic crisis and prevent things from being a whole lot worse. They also delivered an opportunity for genuine electoral reform, it didn't work out and AV wasn't ideal but it would have been a step in the right direction.

You can accuse them of naivety but to accuse them of cynicism is isn't right as far as I'm concerned.
  • nudistpete 12 Jul 2019 13:28:16 737 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Farron finally fucking off seems to have been a turning point
    Future generations will look at images like this and remember the Farron days as a golden age.

• KnuttinAtoll 12 Jul 2019 13:39:04 7,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Farron finally fucking off seems to have been a turning point
    Future generations will look at images like this and remember the Farron days as a golden age.

When people could freely buy milk and brandishing it in public without getting murdered for it?
  • AaronTurner 12 Jul 2019 13:39:29 10,989 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

I'm sorry but this attitude really annoys me. The Lib Dems did not break their manifesto promises as those promises were contingent on them winning the election which they very much didn't do.

What they did do was step in at a time of economic crisis and prevent things from being a whole lot worse. They also delivered an opportunity for genuine electoral reform, it didn't work out and AV wasn't ideal but it would have been a step in the right direction.

You can accuse them of naivety but to accuse them of cynicism is isn't right as far as I'm concerned.
    Sorry if it annoys you, but it annoys me to know that my vote propped up a conservative government responsible for all kinds of awful shit. The fact that there was a potential coalition available with Labour that the Lib Dems rejected makes it even worse.
  • nudistpete 12 Jul 2019 13:44:51 737 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    The fact that there was a potential coalition available with Labour that the Lib Dems rejected makes it even worse.
    Although I could never imagine "riots in the streets" when it comes to UK politics, I think a coalition government without the highest polling party wouldn't go down well in a country like ours.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.