UK Politics Thread Page 240

• disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 13:45:20 10,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I honestly don't mind people resenting the Lib Dems for their choice to go into a coalition. But the idea that they'd do it again any time soon or that the Tory policies are Lib Dem policies seems pretty baseless.

Edited by disusedgenius at 13:45:47 12-07-2019
  • Load_2.0 12 Jul 2019 13:51:04 29,756 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Speaking of Momentum, I think Kalel mentioned it previously but if they had called themselves the "Remain Party" they would have fared better.

The Lib Dems are reaping the rewards now which isn't a bad thing.
    Think you’re confusing Change/Independent with Momentum, but yeah.
    Oops yes Change.
  • Robospud 12 Jul 2019 13:52:06 75 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Change was such a retarded name for a party who's raison d'être was to keep everything the same.
  • TheSaint 12 Jul 2019 14:14:55 18,745 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The change part was clearly trying to move away from a two-party system.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 14:46:06 14,695 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Robospud wrote:
    Change was such a retarded name for a party who's raison d'être was to keep everything the same.
    Another sterling pearl of wisdom from Robospud.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jul 2019 15:03:11 10,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Lib Dems definitely needed to face the electoral fallout for joining the coalition and helped implement policies which the majority of their members and voters opposed. Although it was weird that in 2015 their vote swung blue so often.

I said during the early days of the internal Labour pushback against Corbyn but I still maintain that whether it's against an unbeliever they couldn't deselect or as in independent Corbyn-successor party Momentum will stand candidates in a general election before too long.
  • General_Martok 12 Jul 2019 16:07:41 823 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Please find me that list. I want to shove up Comrade Corbyn's followers.
  • General_Martok 12 Jul 2019 16:10:17 823 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Here's a list

Inheritance tax cuts for millionaires
    Scrapping help with housing costs for young people
    Weakening arrest warrants for people who have fled overseas
    Firing workers at will, without any reasons given
    Regional pay penalising public sector workers outside London and the South East
    Privatising the motorways and key A-Roads
    The Snoopers’ Charter
    Bringing back the old O-level / CSE divide
    Profit-making in state schools
    Cutting the time childminders can give to each child
    Cutting new nursery buildings
    Stopping geography teachers telling children about how we can tackle climate change
    Axing human rights from national curriculum
    Ditching the Human Rights Act
    Appointing Michael Howard as a European Union Commissioner
    Watering down the ban on hunting by allowing 40 dogs to flush out a fox
    Weakening the protections in the Equalities Act
    Renewing Trident in this Parliament
    Scrapping Natural England
    Cutting investment in green energy
    Nation-wide immigration checks on all new tenants and lodgers

from: https://www.markpack.org.uk/129190/what-the-lib-dems-have-stopped-the-tories-doing/
  • disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 16:12:16 10,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The other one is to just take all the legislation the Tories pushed through once they didn't have to compromise.
  • gang_of_bitches 12 Jul 2019 16:37:09 5,707 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Yes it is, the Lib Dems decisions contributed to the hundred thousand deaths or so as a result of austerity. They also alienated their own electorate by breaking promises. I mean they were as bad as the tories.

Even so, I quite like Cable and they did have some good policies. It’s a shame they pretty much fucked up every one at the first sniff or power.
    I'm sorry but this attitude really annoys me. The Lib Dems did not break their manifesto promises as those promises were contingent on them winning the election which they very much didn't do.

What they did do was step in at a time of economic crisis and prevent things from being a whole lot worse. They also delivered an opportunity for genuine electoral reform, it didn't work out and AV wasn't ideal but it would have been a step in the right direction.

You can accuse them of naivety but to accuse them of cynicism is isn't right as far as I'm concerned.
    Sorry if it annoys you, but it annoys me to know that my vote propped up a conservative government responsible for all kinds of awful shit. The fact that there was a potential coalition available with Labour that the Lib Dems rejected makes it even worse.
    I agree with @Nudist Pete forming a government without the biggest party would have set a very bad precedent.

ANd then there's the assumption that things would have been better under a Lib/Lab pact. Like it or not the markets were threatening to downgrade the UK's credit rating if Labour got in and servicing that extra debt would have been an absolute nightmare.
  • Psychotext 12 Jul 2019 16:37:17 65,469 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow, thank you for saving us Lib Dems. My opinion of you has changed massively!
  • Robospud 12 Jul 2019 16:50:15 75 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The Lib Dems couldn't have done a whole lot different given the Mathematics of the 2010 result. My problem with them is their decision to play dice with my life as a European immigrant by voting and campaigning against any kind of soft brexit that would protect my rights.
  • disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 16:54:23 10,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As long as the Tories and Labour can't accept FOM, there's no such deal available. Unless you expected them to vote for May's Deal?

Edited by disusedgenius at 16:56:59 12-07-2019
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 16:59:09 14,695 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Robospud wrote:
    The Lib Dems couldn't have done a whole lot different given the Mathematics of the 2010 result. My problem with them is their decision to play dice with my life as a European immigrant by voting and campaigning against any kind of soft brexit that would protect my rights.
    This is a parody account right?
  • Robospud 12 Jul 2019 17:06:17 75 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The Lib Dems have tried to reduce brexit to simple sound bites that gullible idiots will eat up, without making any attempt at trying to address the reasons for the vote or giving any indication why people would vote differently if asked the same question again.

The Greens have been much more responsible in trying to listen to people's concerns, while Labour have been looking at the complex reality instead of trying to produce simple easy answers like lets just do the same thing again and it'll definitely turn out different this time.
  • General_Martok 12 Jul 2019 17:09:36 823 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Corbynista AHOY!
  • monkman76 12 Jul 2019 17:09:51 14,904 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's... one way of looking at Labour's Brexit position(s).
  • disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 17:27:51 10,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I mean it's just a parrot of the party line. But I do love the logic of 'only we are trying to fix the causes of Brexit' while also being a pro-Brexit party.

Well done guys, great stuff.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 17:29:03 14,695 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Robospud wrote:
    Labour have been looking at the complex reality instead of trying to produce simple easy answers like lets just do the same thing again and it'll definitely turn out different this time.
    Labour's official Brexit position : 1)go for Brexit and try to negotiate with the EU even though everything we've brought to the table has been rejected 2)in case of 2nd referendum support remain

Yeahhhhhh you're totally right about Labour...
  • FWB 12 Jul 2019 17:49:40 56,179 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The mental gymnastics that Corbynists do. Should be in the Olympics.
  • AaronTurner 12 Jul 2019 17:59:51 11,104 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Here's a list

Inheritance tax cuts for millionaires
    Scrapping help with housing costs for young people
    Weakening arrest warrants for people who have fled overseas
    Firing workers at will, without any reasons given
    Regional pay penalising public sector workers outside London and the South East
    Privatising the motorways and key A-Roads
    The Snoopers’ Charter
    Bringing back the old O-level / CSE divide
    Profit-making in state schools
    Cutting the time childminders can give to each child
    Cutting new nursery buildings
    Stopping geography teachers telling children about how we can tackle climate change
    Axing human rights from national curriculum
    Ditching the Human Rights Act
    Appointing Michael Howard as a European Union Commissioner
    Watering down the ban on hunting by allowing 40 dogs to flush out a fox
    Weakening the protections in the Equalities Act
    Renewing Trident in this Parliament
    Scrapping Natural England
    Cutting investment in green energy
    Nation-wide immigration checks on all new tenants and lodgers

from: https://www.markpack.org.uk/129190/what-the-lib-dems-have-stopped-the-tories-doing/
    Just think of all the things they could have stopped without putting the tories in government in the first place.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 18:02:33 14,695 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AaronTurner

The British people seem to have a hard on for the Tories, it was always inevitable. If it wasn't going to be the Lib Dems propping them up it would've been someone else.
  • FWB 12 Jul 2019 18:03:55 56,179 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Who else was going to govern? The maths with Labour didn't work and Brown wasn't interested.

I do think they should have done a supply and confidence rather than a coalition - that's a lesson learned by a naive party. And when that collapsed the money would have been on a Tory majority in a second election.

Labour supporters are just up for bashing anyone who isn't Labour - particularly when their own party is so utterly shit right now.

Edited by FWB at 18:33:24 12-07-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Jul 2019 18:15:08 11,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The lib dems would have derided for being the party that could have formed a government and didn't if they fucked it all off.
  • FWB 12 Jul 2019 18:24:04 56,179 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Quite.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jul 2019 18:28:42 10,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In retrospect the Lib Dems were naive as to how much they'd be played by the Tories and how much blame they'd carry afterwards. I suspect if they could do it all over again they'd be in a stronger position holding them to ransom over confidence and suppy
  • disusedgenius 12 Jul 2019 18:29:16 10,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    The lib dems would have derided for being the party that could have formed a government and didn't if they fucked it all off.
    At the time I remember there was also the desire to show how PR and coalitions could put an end to extreme swings in government by having minor partners as a moderating force.

Of course it's easy to say that as someone who wasn't affected by the cuts they couldn't stop.

Edited by disusedgenius at 18:29:37 12-07-2019
  • FWB 12 Jul 2019 18:34:26 56,179 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    People also forget that Labour in that campaign were also promoting cuts. No one was anti-austerity.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jul 2019 19:35:11 10,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    People also forget that Labour in that campaign were also promoting cuts. No one was anti-austerity.
    They also ran the 2017 election on a manifesto which said no reversing any cuts too
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jul 2019 19:39:14 14,695 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, but the Lib Dems....

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.