Metro Exodus Page 8

• Duffking 4 Mar 2019 00:48:15 16,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool. I'd approached a few areas with enemies in and cleared them but wasn't getting the autosave popup for some reason. Eventually tried sleeping and it worked. I'm guessing the drinking thing heals me.

I'm getting reasonable Call of Pripyat vibes from this game which is nice.
  • the_milkybar_kid 5 Mar 2019 10:31:49 8,017 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hit my limit with this over the weekend and I think I'm done. Can't see past people having conversations with Artium and him just staring blank back at them without saying a word. Some games can get away with it. But in a game where you have loads of different people talking to you and looking like they expect a response, it's just fucking stupid.
  • Juz 5 Mar 2019 11:54:11 3,311 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    I hit my limit with this over the weekend and I think I'm done. Can't see past people having conversations with Artium and him just staring blank back at them without saying a word. Some games can get away with it. But in a game where you have loads of different people talking to you and looking like they expect a response, it's just fucking stupid.
    Agreed; when you get someone asking him a question DIRECTLY and someone else answers for him..just the strangest design choice ever.

Ugh - and that wedding on the train was just a fucking cacophony of overlapping pointless bullshit.
  • the_milkybar_kid 5 Mar 2019 12:39:02 8,017 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Juz This is what I mean. You've got his Mrs talks to him, looking lovingly in the eye and he just cold stares back. His comrades having a one way conversation to him... I just picture him as a post lobotomy patient and he just stares people dead in the eyes- they know he can't talk but just talk to him as if he can respond.

I can understand a game like Doom can still get away with it- it makes sense. But for a game that's quite narrative driven... Nah.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Mar 2019 12:49:52 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As I said the other day, I'm finding this a really weird game.

If you consider the visuals, the world design, the gunplay, the game structure and everything else that's either "technical" or "game-y" about the game and it feels like not just an AAA title, but a top-of-the-AAA range.

The moment characters start talking, it feels like a low budget indie game. The story exposition is clumsy, the dialogue is occasionally toe-curling and the (English) voice acting is dreadful. The mute protagonist feels really, really weird and immersion-breaking under the circumstances.

Note, however, that pretty much everything I've written above could easily be applied to Half-Life 2 as well.
  • the_milkybar_kid 5 Mar 2019 13:00:33 8,017 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd say it was more forgivable in 2004 though. I don't know if it was a thematic a approach to stay in keeping the first game or with old style games where the character didn't actually talk, even though games like Deus Ex had shown how it could be done. I can't look past it in 2019 though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Mar 2019 13:17:09 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid I actually found it really jarring in HL2 back in 2004. I think it comes down to how "talky" the game is. In some games a mute protagonist is just fine, because there really isn't all that much dialogue and what little there is tends just to be either somebody giving you an objective, or a baddie ranting at you. So in the original Half-Life, Doom 2016 and so on, it doesn't feel wrong. But Half-Life 2 and Metro Exodus are both pretty talky games and both have protagonists in "widely revered hero" roles, which means that the blank silence during conversations just feels wrong.
  • the_milkybar_kid 5 Mar 2019 13:38:49 8,017 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon I suppose I was relatively young at the time and was that enamored with the graphics and physics that the storytelling style didn't even register. I know what you mean though. I can see Alyx talking to him right now, receiving the same death-stare.

Exodus would have been made better with a simple dialogue box like Skyrim, so at least NPC's could react to how you respond to questions. Anything other than a mute avatar.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Mar 2019 19:27:18 3,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now Nvidia stick this on their RTX bundle offer... I had to make do with Anthem (which I enjoyed to be fair) but would have much preferred this and it seemed such a logical option for them from the start... One day I will get this...
  • Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2019 19:34:48 13,681 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hah I just moaned about exactly the same thing.
  • Tuffty 5 Mar 2019 19:47:56 4,357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is interesting how standards have risen now that we should expect Artyom to be talking to characters. Something like DOOM works because he's just a blank slate you can project yourself on to and the story is little more than just window dressing to get you to the next scenario to kill demons. I found it odd when even Link wasn't talking to anyone in Breath of the Wild, consdering he's such a huge driving factor in the history of that world and the key to fixing the problems. But at least then you could see his face, he can emote, there's more to it than in this game. I like to imagine Artyom is Mr.X from Resident Evil 2. Just as stoic with that dead eyed, emotionless stare. Makes you think that if Half Life 3 ever came about would people still be as welcoming if Gordon Freeman now had a voice? Or are silent protagonists only acceptable if the story wasn't so character focused?

Edited by Tuffty at 19:48:39 05-03-2019
  • Bichii 5 Mar 2019 19:52:08 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got no issue with the non talking character or the bad acting. My biggest issue is the complete shite fest that occurs during most fun fights. When I can stay in stealth it feels great, at night if it gets loud the a.i. magically can see you half the time. On ranger mode this doesn't make a good experience.

Otherwise I love this game. The level I'm on now (autumn) is amazing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Mar 2019 23:10:44 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, just to be clear, whatever gripes I may have had, this is my GOTY2019 so far.
  • Bichii 8 Mar 2019 10:22:09 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Completed last night. Solid 9/10 and one of the best single player games I've played in a while.
  • Bichii 8 Mar 2019 10:28:11 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Late in the game a certain character recommends crafting filters. Holy shit make sure you do I nearly got in a position with none and no save file to go back on. It required a lot so running and frantic searching and crafting to get through the end part.
  • Duffking 8 Mar 2019 10:59:42 16,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought the performance in this game had gone to complete garbage last night while I was playing. Only to realise Steam was decrypting DMCV in the background.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Mar 2019 22:42:03 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Put in a few more hours this evening. This is an amazing game.

That it is justifying me spending over 3k on a new PC also helps.
  • Bichii 9 Mar 2019 22:46:55 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Where have you got to?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Mar 2019 22:50:40 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii Still in winter, on my way to pick up a passenger car for the train. Been doing a lot of optional exploration, though. Just took out a building full of bandits (no kills, full stealth) and rescued some hostages who gave me a key for a room in the rail terminal.

This doesn't really feel like a Metro game. Feels much more like a Stalker one, and I mean that in a good way.
  • Bichii 9 Mar 2019 22:58:11 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh wow. Soooooo many more places to see. :). Think it took me twenty hours.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Mar 2019 00:22:04 6,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii

I take it you had no materials for filters ? They are craftable on the fly. And try that last section with a cracked, tape patched mask as well ! The tension it created as another hit would've sent me into a looooong reload.....

But yeah, lots of secrets. There is actually a second Baron after all, the finale gorilla mutants act in a similar fashion to the Librarians -you can supposedly bypass them without killing them, and there's even a Dark One.......

I keep getting YT recommedations of Easter Egg videos for this, but I rather mess around with the chapter selection when I get time.
  • Bichii 10 Mar 2019 00:45:01 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet yeah not really. I would scrape just enough to create one more then run around trying to find more before I died.
    Yeah you can avoid them all as you say and yeah I found the other "real" one.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Mar 2019 16:19:23 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking hell, just got through the rail terminal. That was a big escalation on difficulty compared to everything that had come before.
  • richardiox 10 Mar 2019 16:43:39 7,744 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Has this had any significant patches yet? Told myself I'd hold off until some of the bugs have been sorted. Or until the next gen redux edition.
  • cov 10 Mar 2019 20:20:56 1,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not had bugs except for occassional freeze - xbox one x

Superb game. At terminal but taking my time
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Mar 2019 20:56:10 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is definitely feeling like my GOTY so far.

It's also, in my view, a rebuke to those who say that graphics don't matter. So much of the atmosphere so far has come from the technical details. The sullen drizzle at dusk. The sheer biting unpleasantness of a Russian sleetstorm. I don't think I've ever played a game that's made me feel so damned cold, even when sat in a toasty warm room.

Wonder if we're getting, via the PC version, a preview of what we can expect from next-gen console games.
  • Bichii 10 Mar 2019 21:05:36 1,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Rogueywon oh if you loving it now just wait. I felt as the game went on it just got better and better with the first main open area easily the worst.

Love how you can change your gun set ups on the fly. Later when you have loads of upgrades you have so many choices for your load out mid battle.
  • FrostPan 10 Mar 2019 21:21:37 1,611 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game worth playing despite not playing the previous two games?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Mar 2019 21:32:20 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @FrostPan Yes, I played the first years ago and barely remember it. I started but never finished the second. Still having no problem following the third. You can pick up the setting and characters pretty quickly.
  • FrostPan 10 Mar 2019 21:45:53 1,611 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon

That's great to hear, game is on my radar now.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.