Metro Exodus Page 9

Next Last
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Mar 2019 21:52:52 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One thing I would note - in the stuff I've seen so far, they've really dialled down the supernatural stuff from the first two games. It feels much more like a kind of Russian take on the Fallout post-apocalypse, with mutants and ghouls, but there is much less (in fact, almost none so far) of the dimension-bending stuff that cropped up quite quickly in earlier titles.
  • Dirtbox 10 Mar 2019 21:59:32 91,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Spoiler: It comes later.
  • Duffking 13 Mar 2019 22:59:10 16,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I simply refuse to believe that anyone on the dev team even considered actually playing this fucking game on Ranger Hardcore. It simply don't believe it. Aside from the moronic decision to not show tutorial prompts as if that's what I wanted when I wanted to play without a HUD, and aside from the equally moronic decision to disable the ability to quicksave in a game which features literally the worst and most and inconsistent checkpoint system of all time, there's several sections which are just complete fucking shit in every single way.

I'm trying to get through a place in the east of the second big area which is clearly set up for me to stealth through, however it's literally impossible. Mainly because enemies repeatedly spot you THROUGH FUCKING WALLS. Over, and over, and over, and over. Two guys having a conversation through a window will just randomly spot you in the dark after you cut the power to the lights from 50 meters away while not even looking at you. They'll just know that you downed the guy with a flashlight helmet they weren't looking at and didn't hear.

Fuck, the last time I tried it I thought I'd wait to see if the two dudes conversation stops at any reasonable point or the guy who they sixth sense getting killed fucks off. Instead as soon as they finished talking, they just spotted me through the fucking ceiling and shot me through the ceiling. It's a solid metal plate you fucks.

And good luck fighting through the 20 or so mooks plus heavily armoured gatling gun dude without getting randomly one shot killed through a wall.

Shit game.

Edited by Duffking at 23:00:15 13-03-2019
  • Dirtbox 15 Mar 2019 12:34:23 91,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I had a few moments where I thought parts were impossible. Particularly long sections with a broken gasmask that I found far too late was fixable with a bit of tape. The most amusing to me was driving backwards in the little train, not knowing I could turn the seat round.

It's all very doable, just a bit of a grind here and there.

I had greater issue with the predictable story that leveraged divisive story telling and unskippable cut scenes, and the relative shortness of it which I realised was due to it being carved up for dlc.

It's pretty far from being shit, but I understand the frustration.

I'm currently cruising through a no-kill run, just because. After that a kill everyone and everything run if I can be bothered.
  • Duffking 23 Mar 2019 19:53:31 16,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I beat it. After eventually getting through that awful segment and the beginning of the next zone where an enemy kept spotting me through about 10 walls and over 100 meters away, I did a little bit of file editing and took the game down to Hardcore difficulty, and turned off the UI. Basically the same but slightly fewer 1 shot deaths and the ability to actually save the game. Was a much more enjoyable run to the end.

All in all I liked the first area of the game a reasonable amount, but the Caspian was an almighty slog for me. And that was largely it for the open areas and to be honest I didn't really miss it. The pacing of the more open zones didn't really grab me but the last two zones with their linear structure were a lot more absorbing.

So I had fun, but it was probably the weakest of the series for me.

Edited by Duffking at 19:54:16 23-03-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 2 Apr 2019 23:50:54 6,698 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems there's been an update adding a NG+ option, starting a new run with all the weapons/mods you've unlocked previously, and with toggable modifiers such as tougher enemies, AI using more explosives, and secret dev cassettes to listen to. Oh, and disabling the backpack and no saves bar mid-area just in case RH wasn't enough......

Might have a look tomorrow, just for some early game crossbow fun.
  • Vortex808 3 Apr 2019 08:44:53 13,275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need to get this soon and give it a go. Sadly, apex legends is taking up all of my gaming time just now.

I should start my attempt at getting all the way through last light first though, i guess.

Even if i just play a wee bit to remind me how it works!
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Apr 2019 10:50:54 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The open world for certain sections is shit, they really fucked up by making it open world for certain sections as the game was better when it was linear as it was an better experience. Also agree about the AI can see through walls at times, stealth is screwed now. On the level with the forest people, I shot one by accident and the game acted like I murdered the entire village. Also if you knock someone out it can count as a kill due to janky programming.

I've played 2033 and last light on 360, ps4 and X1 (twice as the disc version is another set of achievements to the gamepass one) but I might try to get the good ending on the very easy mode. The last level of the game felt like a metro game. Its a shame as I like the idea of metro game on a train visiting new areas they just made some shit open areas that were not fun to play or explore.
  • Tuffty 8 Jul 2019 13:23:48 4,357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I could see a particular twist in Metro Exodus coming from miles away, like I could see it from space, it was that obvious. So it is maddening that none of the characters in that story could see it happen either.

Slight spoilers I guess:

Anya falls into a bunker with radioactive waste and is knocked unconscious for some time. She's rescued and over the course of weeks if not months, develops a persistent cough. She then coughs up blood for the first time for everyone to see. But everyone else is like, "WHA HAPPUN?" The group is composed of military vets and a doctor aware that radioactive waste is a real hazard in their day to day lives. And yet the doctor suggests it could be the sand and desert air that is causing her to cough up blood to which her dad agrees with. None of these people can put 2 + 2 together. Even when they're told about a potential drug that could solve the issue, they leave it to chance in the case that it might not be as serious. Why not get it anyway?! It's so STUPID.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:24:01 08-07-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Jul 2019 01:16:23 6,698 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Regarding the 'sand and desert air' excuse, that's certainly delivered in a knowing fashion, going with a reassuring 'we know she's f**ked, but we don't want to admit it ourselves' vibe.

Well, as far as I remember anyway. Any more news on the DLC that was coming, a new map/area ?

/google

Ah, summer for a linear Metro flashback with Miller, and next year for new area with Sam. Eh.
  • Tuffty 10 Jul 2019 14:11:20 4,357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Regarding the 'sand and desert air' excuse, that's certainly delivered in a knowing fashion, going with a reassuring 'we know she's f**ked, but we don't want to admit it ourselves' vibe.
    Was this in the English dub? I'm playing in Russian, so that inflection might have been lost on me.

I would be ok with it if they were saying this while the little girl was around so as not to scare her, then they take her away and then they start being realistic about it and agree that they have a goal to get the cure as a priority. These people have had to survive in this setting for so long, it makes no sense to try and sugarcoat and lie over literal life and death with someone who's lived in it all her life

Edited by Tuffty at 14:15:32 10-07-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Jul 2019 17:50:04 6,698 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, English dub. I love cheesy Russian-English. I suppose mutants can be killed, people can be killed, but guns don't do much to the flu, and illness without meds is probably the scariest thing post-apocalyptic.

I mean, we as the player clicked straightaway that it'd come back to bite her, but the characters have been travelling for months. Easy to forget that time she fell uncon next to the green gas when they're halfway across the country, dealing with more immediate troubles.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 11 Jul 2019 00:07:19 3,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went with the Russian for this. It just seemed like the right choice, although my Russian is almost nonexistent (a few basics).

Need to get around to finishing it, nearing the end if the Caspian section. Mostly enjoying it.
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Jul 2019 07:04:44 24,793 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm currently playing, just arrived at the Volga. I wanted to play with Russian audiotrack but with English subtitles, could not find that option. I'm I just being dense ?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Jul 2019 00:13:42 3,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I'm currently playing, just arrived at the Volga. I wanted to play with Russian audiotrack but with English subtitles, could not find that option. I'm I just being dense ?
    I don't recall it being hard to find (playing on PC here). That is how I play it.
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Jul 2019 11:45:13 24,793 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx
    Yes it there mate, thank you. Not sure what I was doing before ;)
  • Malek86 9 Aug 2019 23:53:53 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished the game, a bit more than 24 hours played. There are a few things I don't get though.

Is there only one ending, or multiple ones? In certain occasions, I got achievements that implied that some of the crew members might die (I saved Duke and Alyosha, while Damir stayed behind to fight with Giul). in my ending, Artyom survives and reaches the ocean with Anna. Is there maybe a worse ending that you get if you don't save enough people? I mean, it seems like a pretty linear final sequence.

I also find it strange that, after so many fights against the worst side of mankind, the final level pits you against... blind gorillas. In Russia? Ok then. Maybe they escaped from some zoo. Who knows. I could have done without the ridiculous button mashing sequence at the end (good for me that I set the button mashing to hold instead). Nice ending all the same. Apparently radiation makes you hallucinate. I'll accept that.

Anyway. Good, although uneven game. Looked pretty nice even on a standard Xbox One. Sure, it got very soft at times, but still impressive for the most part, and the framerate was stable too.

Edited by Malek86 at 23:56:00 09-08-2019
  • FatsoJetson 10 Aug 2019 00:23:05 385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Malek86 There is a bad ending and a good ending for the story. The composition of your crew also changes based on your decisions/actions, but I don't believe any of that changes the overall story arc, except for pushing you towards one of the two endings.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Aug 2019 05:33:54 24,793 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86
    I got a different ending to you. Due I presume to several "misunderstandings" on a certain level... ;) I think my playtime was very similar though. I did start ng+ but not sure when I will play through again.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 05:35:18 10-08-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Aug 2019 03:04:13 6,698 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    First DLC available, and it's not great......90min playtime for 6.50. Erm, no.

Walkthroughs are up on YT already, and that'll do for me.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Aug 2019 09:33:00 3,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sadly seems to be all too common with DLC packs for big open world stuff. Short and lacking content. Maybe will get them and Exodus (I played through it on Game Pass) when/if they reach GOG.
  • Dirtbox 23 Aug 2019 09:39:14 91,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Half of that 90 minutes is probably insipid cutscenes.

Ho ho Artium, for he's a jolly good fellow ho ho ho backslaps for everyone ho ho.

Fuck off.

Edited by Dirtbox at 09:40:42 23-08-2019
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.