Metro Exodus Page 3

• pacrifice 17 Feb 2019 04:10:55 4,805 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So is it really an open world.. where you don't need to replace oxygen tank... And it's beautiful.. and you walk around with a silenced 9mm?
  • neems 17 Feb 2019 08:21:51 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @pacrifice

Yes and no.

There are unavoidable linear sections (including the first hour or so); you do have a gas mask with filters, although once you are out in the world proper you don't need to use it a huge amount. There are occasional toxic patches above ground (often visible, at least during the day), and of course underground.

You can make your own filters on the fly, but they are quite expensive. Luckily I haven't needed to do that yet, as I need all my resources to craft medkits because it is hard as nails.

There was a point in the intro where I spent too long exploring, and I ran out of filters and had to restart. This was extremely frustrating as you might imagine; turns out there were filters close by - I could have got to them, but I didn't have time to search for them.

As it happens, there isn't much point exploring in the opening section as it doesn't carry over to the main game.

Overall the game is best described as semi-open world, much like Stalker. This first open section is big, and open, although there is a lot of water which constrains movement somewhat. There are boats, but there are also... other things, which may make travelling by water less appealing :)

The world is stunning, and runs better than I expected. I currently have a 3 shot silenced revolver, a customised Kalashnikov and a pneumatic ball bearing gun.

There is a day / night cycle - more bandits and the like during the day, more monsters at night - which can be advanced by sleeping in a safe house, although these are few and far between.

You cannot change difficulty mid-game, so think long and hard about playing on Ranger Hardcore mode. It certainly gives it an edge, but I would probably change it to medium if I could (although I am getting the hang of it). Quicksave would have helped, hopefully they'll fix that in a patch.

3 thumbs up from me so far.
  • Tomo 17 Feb 2019 09:41:47 16,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I watched the DF video last night after reading your comments. It /looks/ utterly amazing as well. Like next gen good looking.
  • Syrette 17 Feb 2019 09:58:13 50,297 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Only managed to see little more than the intro sequence yesterday... engrossed already.
  • Syrette 17 Feb 2019 10:03:47 50,297 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @neems

In regards to that annoying quick-save issue - doesn't it autosave frequently anyway?
  • oldschoolsoviet 17 Feb 2019 10:32:02 6,698 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Auto-save happens at 'checkpoints', but it's really unclear what constitutes one. Sometimes it's upon a quest related discovery, sometimes picking up an item, and I've had 20+mins since my last while exploring off the path.

Best trigger is resting/crafting at a safehouse, usually triggers a save upon exiting.
  • oldschoolsoviet 17 Feb 2019 12:18:34 6,698 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aaaaand I take it all back.

First crash, checkpoint must've triggered at the same point, and it's corrupted the save. Wiped and starting from scratch.

I'm slightly pissed, and slightly glad to re-do certain choices. But mostly pissed.
  • Juz 17 Feb 2019 12:22:34 3,311 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had 3 crashes last night on the X. Abandoning it for the time being. Am disappoint.
  • neems 17 Feb 2019 13:43:00 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am actually at a location which has multiple save points (although I believe when I load my game I will be dying of radiation poisoning), but I have gone 50 minutes without saving on one occasion, and also died 38 minutes after my last save.

They need to make it so that it alternates between 2 save slots, every 10 minutes plus checkpoints and on exit.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Feb 2019 14:08:17 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just bought a PC that might actually be able to run this sensibly.

Pity I now can't afford to buy the actual game. :)
  • cambison 17 Feb 2019 18:16:52 79 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really enjoying this. Although the three crashes I've had all seem to have happened when I've paused the game and my onex has gone into rest mode'. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Vortex808 17 Feb 2019 18:45:17 13,275 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was close to buying this, if it's crashing regularly , I'll leave it for a wee bit yet then.
  • Blackmarsh63 17 Feb 2019 20:03:08 2,508 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Juz I've had loads of freezes. I turned the HDR off on the console and it played fine all morning. (looks better to me with it off) Turned it back on again this afternoon and it still hasn't froze so not sure whats going on with it. Maybe its been patched ?
  • JamboWayOh 17 Feb 2019 20:31:50 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked this up today for the X, had no issues so far, looks very pretty, one minor quibble is when you're running through trees and you slow down, really irritating when you're trying to run away from beasties who are relentless.
  • neems 17 Feb 2019 22:23:52 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Recorded this earlier, not very exciting but you get the idea.

• Tomo 18 Feb 2019 00:45:21 16,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jesus. It's Stalker 2019. Arghh.

What you running that on?
  • Carlo 18 Feb 2019 01:12:55 20,573 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is battering my 2080 on 3440/1440 60fos

Having to turn some shit down to keep the frames above 60.

It's a phenomenal step up from everything else on the market, and I feel like I did when I first played HL2 back in the day.

I've been kicked back to the OS a couple of times, but the game continued to run so no losses. Not had any bugs or anything so far.

The only niggle seems to be the audio. Voices are too quiet/distant and they keep talking over each other.
  • neems 18 Feb 2019 01:19:36 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tomo

GTX 1080 plus i7 7700k. I don't have access to any of that ray tracing stuff, which is for the best as it would murder my frame rate (mostly in the 50s in that area).

It runs surprisingly well.
  • neems 18 Feb 2019 02:48:30 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some night time fun, just the other side of the same location.

• Darren 18 Feb 2019 08:11:25 9,574 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Juz wrote:
    I had 3 crashes last night on the X. Abandoning it for the time being. Am disappoint.
    Fantastic and wholly immersive game... I am still in the Volga area having decided to thoroughly explore it for the last 9-10 hours.

However, I have had 4 or 5 freezes in that time where the game appears to just stop but the Guide and Xbox One X still respond (so I am able to quit the game and reload it). I decided to relocate the game from the external 4 TB drive to the internal one and the game now seems to be more stable. I did also turn off the Dolby Atmos setting as well so maybe that is the true cause of the freezes?

Saw mentions of the freezing on Reddit but found out that there was a firmware upgrade 5 days ago to fix 4K performance in Anthem on X so maybe that is messing things up for other games too? Crackdown 3 has also froze once too although that was after many hours of play.
  • Darren 18 Feb 2019 08:17:04 9,574 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    cambison wrote:
    Really enjoying this. Although the three crashes I've had all seem to have happened when I've paused the game and my onex has gone into rest mode'. Anyone else have this problem?
    Yes. Thinking about it, the crashes have mostly been after resuming the game from standby too. Last night I played for about 90 minutes at the Volga bridge sequence and it was 100% stable but that was from a fresh restart after the game froze on me.
  • neems 18 Feb 2019 10:15:27 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fun fact - moments after that video ended, I fell off the structure I was on and died. As I need to do it all again, I may try it in daylight and see if there are less Watchmen.
  • the_milkybar_kid 18 Feb 2019 10:53:03 8,017 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have I had my head up my arse or has this come out with little / no fanfare? Doesn't seem like 2 minutes since the first reveal and was looking forward to this but didn't even realise it's out.
  • neems 18 Feb 2019 12:12:41 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well there has been some fairly hefty controversy surrounding the pc version, and Eurogamer reviewed it a few days ago.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2019 12:17:39 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @neems Is that a reference to the (shabby) decision to ditch Steam for Epic Store exclusivity, or is there some other, new controversy around the PC version?
  • neems 18 Feb 2019 12:37:02 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon

No that's the one. Of course it led to review bombing of the older titles, talks of boycotts, and then that (perceived) threat from the developer. And various different parts of THQ whatever (Nordic?) either distancing themselves from the palaver or expressing their support for DeepSilver / Koch Media.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Feb 2019 12:37:31 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't know if this came with a day one patch, but just bought a boxed version today and there is a 3.3 gb patch on Xbox. Just a heads up if new for those with crash issues.
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Feb 2019 13:08:15 6,698 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, the patch was out before Friday launch. Played fine with no issues, then downloaded the patch later, and then I had a crash the next day.

SUSPICIOUS.

Managed to get back to Caspian desert through the afternoon yesterday, and despite being on my best behaviour I still lost Duke . I'm beginning to think it's an Xbox exclusive by the clips I've seen. Tried watching the Giant Bomb QL too, but by god it's painful to sit through.
  • neems 18 Feb 2019 13:31:28 4,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

Forgive me asking, but isn't there a chapter select option? Couldn't you have just restarted the Caspian section?
  • quadfather 18 Feb 2019 15:43:29 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hear this runs best on the one S? Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.