Following Tetris 99 Page 2

• DangerousDave_87 16 Feb 2019 18:24:38 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    what does Hold L do?
    It holds a piece that you would otherwise have to place. You can then swap it out for another piece you're playing later on. Handy if you want to save a tall piece to take out four rows.

On a separate note, data miners have discovered 3 new modes. A team battle mode, a cpu mode (same as the standard mode, but with bots) and a traditional endless mode for 1 player.

Nice!

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 18:25:35 16-02-2019
  • uiruki 16 Feb 2019 21:33:02 4,862 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Was stuggling with mis-inputs on the Pro controller. Took it out of the dock and won my second match on the Joycons.
  • DangerousDave_87 17 Feb 2019 02:17:25 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Joy cons are certainly the way forward. I'm on 2 wins now, but that's in nearly 5 hours play time. I'm in the top 10 every other game, but occasionally I get absolutely slaughtered.

I'm K.O'ing players more regularly now, but I'm always susceptible to being ganged up on. I managed to take out 4 players within 5 seconds earlier, but then was set on by so many more. It got so bad that every time I cleared a line the screen sent explosions in all directions, making it impossible to see what I was doing.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 02:18:18 17-02-2019
  • SamNunn92 17 Feb 2019 11:39:03 845 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been enjoying this quite a bit - no wins yet but I've come second a couple of times, pressure always gets to me at the end! Do people have strategies for which group to target or not really?
  • deez 17 Feb 2019 22:27:58 275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SamNunn92 not really, I tend to target medals when I've managed to get fairly far and have a nice board with tetrises to come. The hope being I can KO a few. Not too early though, else the decent players will go for you also!
  • gamingdave 18 Feb 2019 09:59:07 4,810 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fairly regularly in the top 10, but then the odd game you're out in what feels like seconds. I've been 2nd five times, but yet to hit the top spot. Went to sleep seeing Tetrinos.

I think it's a wonderful addition to the Tetris family, really adds something different. I don't overly feel like I am playing against others a lot of the time, more myself, just being aware bad things could happen at any time which you need to defend against.

Only meant to have a couple of games last night, and played for 3 hours.

Can't quite believe Tetris is contender for my GOTY 2 years in a row! (long way to go yet though)
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Feb 2019 10:27:00 8,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know what it is about the pro controller but occasionally it drops pieces when I haven't pressed anything. Really annoying and can cost the game, but nothing like that happens when I use joy cons so that's definitely the way to go.
  • JoelStinty 18 Feb 2019 10:28:21 7,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a good session last night, got a 3rd and 4th place.

I did have a couple of matches though where i was completed hammered from the start, came last in one match within what felt like seconds i was being hit by a shit load of garbage. It was a bit odd as i barely had chance to build up anything resembling a tetris yet i had my side bar of garbage 8/9 high. I changed who i was targeting just incase i was targeting someone who had multiple people targeting them but it made no difference. Not sure what is happening in those matches.
  • uiruki 18 Feb 2019 10:32:36 4,862 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Could be a few early t-spins. Iím pretty sure they send attacks. Iíve also had better luck attacking with combos of singles/doubles than going all out for tetrises as well.
  • DangerousDave_87 18 Feb 2019 12:02:40 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What are T-spins?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Feb 2019 13:25:59 8,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Getting a T-piece into a T-shaped spot that's blocked off in such a way that the only way to get the piece to fit is by spinning it in, ie there would be no way to get it in there just by letting it drop.
  • SamNunn92 18 Feb 2019 14:40:26 845 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @deez sounds like a good strategy! I've just been leaving it on random and trying to keep a low profile in the hopes I won't get utterly blasted by the decent players.

I do think the game could do with being explained/having a decent tutorial as a lot of it I've been finding a bit obscure - I only found out by googling that the number of badges you have acts as a multiplier for the amount of garbage you dump on other players.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 19 Feb 2019 19:56:29 8,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Won one! My life is complete, hadn't even come top 3 before now.
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Feb 2019 00:40:02 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm up to 5 wins in 9 hours play time (131 games). Not the greatest conversion rate, but I'll take it. It's easier to win a game of Fortnite, that's for sure!

Edit - Make that 6! Back to back wins! \o/

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 00:51:50 21-02-2019
  • binky Moderator 21 Feb 2019 09:19:48 10,963 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm getting into the top 10 now, which feels like quite an achievement. Haven't given any thought to attack strategy - how the heck do you find time to look anywhere but the dropping blocks?!
  • Duffking 21 Feb 2019 09:39:14 16,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't really get what to do in this to be honest, I can't help but seem to make myself a target. In a clip I took last night I was being targeted by 5 people when my play field was near empty and I had just one KO and I KOd 4 of them and the other person switched target.

Then a minute later someone dumped about 8 lines of shit on me while I was building up another tetris, then another 4 and it's that situation which gets me - the priority becomes clearing the guff that got added to the screen, but clearing what I already had in a manner that lets me get at that stuff just fucks me.
  • JoelStinty 21 Feb 2019 09:51:57 7,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting close now. Had two top two finishes now, last one was my chance as well as looking at his grid he was 3/4 full too. Just not quite quick enough in the last ten. All though keep pressing rotate allows me to think a little bit.

Will share a clip later when I upload it, again i had another 8/9 line dump on me within seconds of starting up. The only thing i can think of is that he may have got an all clear, but it is frustrating not knowing what causes those games, i seem to get one every other sessions.

Regularly in the top 30 now too which is good!

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:52:15 21-02-2019
  • JoelStinty 21 Feb 2019 10:00:17 7,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    I don't really get what to do in this to be honest, I can't help but seem to make myself a target. In a clip I took last night I was being targeted by 5 people when my play field was near empty and I had just one KO and I KOd 4 of them and the other person switched target.

Then a minute later someone dumped about 8 lines of shit on me while I was building up another tetris, then another 4 and it's that situation which gets me - the priority becomes clearing the guff that got added to the screen, but clearing what I already had in a manner that lets me get at that stuff just fucks me.
    It is quite confusing at first. But you will quickly learn the ins and outs of it. I think people are now clever in who they target. It may be that because you had the 1 Ko (and thus a badge) they targeted you. But to be honest in time you will relish those 5 vs you encounters as you get great bonuses and its easy to KO people that way. Each line you send their way multiplies a lot and in those cases i normally end up KO'ing most of those players.

But it can get annoying when you do get dumped on like that. If i see my bar rising on the side, i just change my target as most people seem to have set their attacks to countering attackers.

Which i mainly do until mid 80's then try and KO a few people and then as the round draws to a close i go back to attackers.
  • the_milkybar_kid 21 Feb 2019 10:21:37 8,013 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Downloaded last night. Dangerously addictive. Got 20 something and 13th after a few spells of 60 and 70's- getting fucked over right from the off.

I think this will be massive on the Switch.
  • daver 22 Feb 2019 03:10:18 37 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you play in handheld mode, you can use the touchscreen to target specific players rather than using the left stick. Fab game.
  • JoelStinty 22 Feb 2019 20:25:02 7,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally got first place \o/

Only took me 12 hours :D. But worth it, actually celebrated when doing it, couldn't believe it.
  • DangerousDave_87 23 Feb 2019 00:36:08 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JoelStinty Congrats! You'll find they come a little more easily from now on. My strategy is to focus on K.O's until I'm in the top 30 and then shift on over to attackers and focus solely on what I'm doing.
  • JoelStinty 23 Feb 2019 12:00:44 7,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 hopefully! I am getting regular top ten finishes now so I should be able to get a few more. Your tactics are similar to mine. I kind of like luring people into targeting me. Think I managed to get 13 KOs on one game😂
  • DangerousDave_87 24 Feb 2019 00:12:06 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Had my first nonsense moment this evening. I'm down to the last two and suddenly the pieces stop coming. I see the next 5 pieces on the screen, but they weren't showing up at the top of the screen. My game completely locks up as a resultand all I can do is watch the other player slowly claw their way back from the brink. 10 seconds later my next piece appears, along with enough lines to completely wipe me out. What a load of cack...

I did manage a win a few games later though, so I've calmed down.
  • PunMan 25 Feb 2019 11:29:25 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Post deleted
  • PunMan 25 Feb 2019 11:44:24 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Post deleted
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Feb 2019 12:08:27 8,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I seem to place a lot higher if I just keep my head down and do my own thing than if I start trying to play properly and target people.
  • DangerousDave_87 25 Feb 2019 12:09:27 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PunMan That's kinda how Battle Royales work. You can quickly be outnumbered. You have no control over other players game's and they can turn on you almost seemingly at random. One player's journey will not be as easy as another's.

It's more about survival than winning, although winning is a great satisfaction!
  • PunMan 25 Feb 2019 12:12:45 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Post deleted
  • DangerousDave_87 25 Feb 2019 12:15:40 6,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It certainly obscures my vision if I'm attacking multiple players at once. Usually 5 or more. In one game I could actually see the bottom four routes of the board and my eyes were struggling to focus on the screen. Fortunately that had only happened once or twice. It's quite extreme and usually only happens if you have a lot of badges.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.