Resi Evil 2 Updates Fix Noise Issue?

• Ginjarou 15 Feb 2019 17:03:40 17 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi all,

I played the Resi Evil 2 demo last month and loved it - but hated how noisy it made my (base) PS4. This is mainly due to it overworking itself, pushing for as many fps as it could manage - the poor, useless thing.

Has any of the updates since its launch fixed this? I really don't want to buy this game if it's as noisy as it was in the demo. I was hoping they would include a 30fps lock on the base console (sacrilege I know), but the console clearly can't handle it.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Feb 2019 19:06:44 9,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was there an issue?

Maybe it was your machine?
  • Ginjarou 15 Feb 2019 20:15:00 17 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Was there an issue?

There were a few others on these boards commenting on this problem in the demo.

Do you have a base PS4?
  • neilka 15 Feb 2019 20:17:58 22,509 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Simply bury your PS4 in the garden, leaving holes for the HDMI and power leads.
  • ZuluHero 15 Feb 2019 22:22:35 7,347 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That or wear headphones. My base Ps4 is like a jet engine.

Not sure an update could fix that, unless they downgraded it a bit. Maybe optimisation, but it's already running pretty solidly so I can't imagine they'd bother just to fix some fan noise.

I mean, that's what the fan is for, right? To keep the chip cool while it works out?

Edited by ZuluHero at 22:23:30 15-02-2019
  • Ginjarou 16 Feb 2019 09:54:27 17 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The fan shouldnít sound like a jet engine and it seems people are happy to put up with it.

Digital Foundryís video on the Red Dead 2 PS4 Pro (CUH-7200) just focuses on how Ďlessí noisy it is so itís clearly a problem.

Unfortunately this means I may have to give in and get a CUH-7200 Pro or One X.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2019 10:00:17 9,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ginjarou wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Was there an issue?

There were a few others on these boards commenting on this problem in the demo.

Do you have a base PS4?
    I do, although I bought it quite awhile after launch so maybe it's not got a brimming full cache or as clogged cooling system as older machines might do
  • ZuluHero 16 Feb 2019 10:18:55 7,347 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ginjarou it's really funny how people get so focused on certain model numbers like they're the holy grail of fan noise.

Anacdotally the net is full of forum thread posts of people buying certain numbers and them not being as quiet as the expected them to be, when is mostly down to how graphically intensive a game can be. The location of your console can also be a massive factor.

Resident Evil is a very graphic heavy game, loads of things like real-time shadows and complex materials, it's no wonder your gpu breaks out a sweat.

Personally I'd stick your Ps4 in your freezer, then your fan will never kick in...

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:22:05 16-02-2019
  • Ginjarou 16 Feb 2019 22:21:24 17 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FussyDuck wrote:
    @Ginjarou It's just how the PS4 was designed. Simultaneously my favourite and least favourite console.
    I feel the same. The fanboys/girls need to understand it's the games that make it a great console - the hardware itself, in my opinion, is pretty poor.
  • retro74 16 Feb 2019 22:33:09 2,825 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíve got a base PS4 and it doesnít make any noise at all when I play RE2

I think itís just down to luck. Although I do wonder is the temperature of the room makes any difference?

My games room is always like an ice box in the winter as Iíve turned the radiator off
  • ZuluHero 17 Feb 2019 09:28:05 7,347 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Of course a cold room makes a difference, hence my glib comment about sticking it in the fridge. Media centres or TV stands are terrible for consoles, basically blowing hot air around which gets sucked in by the console, a self perpetuating problem. The only thing the console can do is increase fan speed to keep the gpu cool. Rest your hand on it after a couple of hours play and feel how hot it is.

The cooling is inadequate, but I guess that's what keeps the cost down. Cheap hardware but good games. Resident Evil is great though, I wouldn't let something like a noisy fan put me off. Plus headphones gives you a much better experience!
  • PunMan 17 Feb 2019 13:44:25 19 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Post deleted
  • Psiloc 18 Feb 2019 11:40:11 5,030 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought that Red Dead PS4 Pro and for me the noise issue is completely resolved. It's audible if you're up close and listening for it but it's nowhere close to being audible over the TV in normal use.

Whether it satisfies everybody is another thing entirely but I can say for certain it is a vast improvement over my previous launch Pro and launch base units. It's also quieter than my One S.

The model number lottery was a thing in the past but the Red Dead revision is the real thing - concrete improvement.
  • cowell 18 Feb 2019 11:43:52 1,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ginjarou I'm playing Resi 2 on my base PS4 and there's no issue with fan noise with the final game.
  • Ginjarou 24 Feb 2019 10:55:53 17 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    @Ginjarou I'm playing Resi 2 on my base PS4 and there's no issue with fan noise with the final game.
    Thanks cowell. Did you try the demo too?

Having upgrade my PC GPU just recently, it's now whisper quiet (I had a Radeon before that could rival the noise of the PS4), so expect I'll be picking the game up on PC now.
  • cowell 24 Feb 2019 12:01:41 1,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah I just skipped to the final game so Iíve no comparison

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.