Pokémon Sword and Shield Page 3

• Malek86 13 Nov 2019 14:10:53 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Nov 2019 14:11:08 6,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd actually be more willing to play these games if the number of pokemon were limited in each game. 150 was already plenty. I've not touched a Mainline pokemon since the 90s for thay reason alone.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 14:13:16 32,463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They're basically mostly re-skins every generation. Supporting that many superfluous Pokemon that have been superseded multiple times over always seemed a bit excessive to me. Nice, sure, but never really required.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 14:13:23 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Debating "who's right" about a game that isn't out yet and that I haven't played is obviously stupid. But I think it's fair to observe that EG is an outlier here - other sites coming in with much higher scores (9 from Gamespot, 9.3 from IGN).
  • Frogofdoom 13 Nov 2019 14:15:23 16,433 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The lady on ign said it's her favourite pokemon game and she has played them all.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 14:18:40 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The EG was alright, i can understand how they come to the decision, some of the choice's in terms of 'flavour' were a bit off putting

inspired by the long-waned superpower of Great Britain, with all its puffed-up-cheeks and empty bluster

Also there was alot of praise in the review, but it seems technical bugs and i guess boredom dropped the score.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 14:20:28 13-11-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 14:23:25 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I think Edwin's recent appearance in the Guardian has sadly inspired some of EG's other writers to start imitating him.

Watch for rains of frogs, sudden eclipses, plagues of boils and other signs of the apocalypse.
  • Derblington 13 Nov 2019 14:25:02 33,149 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Same overall feel in teh VG247 review:

After promising a Pokemon experience that’d satisfy the hardcore, this game is in fact much like Let’s Go – fine as a more chilled-out experience, which is how I played it, but likely more disappointing the deeper a Pokefan you are. Bizarrely, it’s also somehow less polished than that spin-off, a game which was supposedly developed quickly to allow the team to get to grips with HD development.

Thus is the conundrum, the paradox. Pokemon Sword & Shield is all too often a bit disappointing, and in some places actually feels a little unfinished, but it also fully provides that warm, fuzzy feeling that one expects from the series. Crucially, even through frustration, never once did I think about putting it down, which is to its credit. It comes recommended almost for the Galar setting and new Pokemon alone, but with a long list of caveats indeed. With the level of fan hyperbole surrounding this release, that recommendation is worth repeating and underscoring – but this is not the revolution that was promised or hoped for, and some may prefer to wait for a sale or wait and see if an improved, definitive release is on the cards.
  • Malek86 13 Nov 2019 14:28:32 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reading around, seems that reception is good but overall more mixed than previous Pokemon games. Possibly the most mixed since Diamond?

But it's hard to compare reviews today to those of many years ago, because a lot of websites don't give out numerical scores anymore.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 14:30:22 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Reading around, seems that reception is good but overall more mixed than previous Pokemon games. Possibly the most mixed since Diamond?

But it's hard to compare reviews today to those of many years ago, because a lot of websites don't give out numerical scores anymore.
    Black and White didnt get universal praise either.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Nov 2019 14:30:51 6,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its metacritic is currently on par with Death Stranding. That might wind a few more people up if it stays that way.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 14:31:06 13-11-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 14:32:45 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Its metacritic is currently on par with Death Stranding. That might wind a few more people up if it stays that way.
    Its ok, its lower now lol :)
  • Jubs95 13 Nov 2019 14:33:26 144 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 won’t be long till it gets review bombed I’m sure.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Nov 2019 14:34:28 6,436 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've played most of the Pokémon games and thought they were all pretty enjoyable. Some a bit better than others, but good for the most part. What's not to like about a whimsical adventure that takes you back to your childhood and where you can indulge in your wildest dog fighting fantasies.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 14:35:57
    Well it has parallels with Brexit to Stranding's Trump so maybe the games are closer than we think

Edited by adamasunder12 at 14:36:24 13-11-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 14:49:29 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is dividing opinion quite starkly as more reviews come through. Reviews seem to be splitting between 9/10 camps and 5/10 camps. Not had time to read the text of all of the reviews yet, so not sure what might be driving it.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 15:03:19
    Going by EG its seriously lacking depth and polish
  • monkman76 13 Nov 2019 15:13:27 16,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    The EG was alright, i can understand how they come to the decision, some of the choice's in terms of 'flavour' were a bit off putting

inspired by the long-waned superpower of Great Britain, with all its puffed-up-cheeks and empty bluster
    Are you saying you disagree with that characterisation of Britain? Have you heard of "Brexit"?
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 15:16:28 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:

Are you saying you disagree with that characterisation of Britain? Have you heard of "Brexit"?
    Nope, just its inclusion in the review. It add's nothing in terms of value and comes across little a snide little dig for no reason.
  • monkman76 13 Nov 2019 15:23:26 16,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:

Nope, just its inclusion in the review. It add's nothing in terms of value and comes across little a snide little dig for no reason.
    They use it as a metaphor to describe the game. Seems reasonable to me.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 16:05:03 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/11/13/how-long-is-pokemon-sword-and-shield

40 hour game if played at a normal pace.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 16:06:26 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:

They use it as a metaphor to describe the game. Seems reasonable to me.
    Maybe its just the little englander in me than.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 14 Nov 2019 19:41:12 11,720 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just read the EG review. Seems like Nintendo have BOTW’ed this up - a big open world with no dungeons and little substance.

From BOTW, to Metroid bring canned and restarted and now this - hurts me to say it as a big Nintendo fan but they are on a significant downward trajectory in terms of the quality of their work. Mario Odyssey the only exception to that which was a joy.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Nov 2019 20:05:06 10,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Just read the EG review. Seems like Nintendo have BOTW’ed this up - a big open world with no dungeons and little substance.

From BOTW, to Metroid bring canned and restarted and now this - hurts me to say it as a big Nintendo fan but they are on a significant downward trajectory in terms of the quality of their work. Mario Odyssey the only exception to that which was a joy.
    What are you talking about Breathe of the wild is one of (if not the) best game ever.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Nov 2019 20:06:25 2,897 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Botw is literally full of content. Has its own town management sim ffs
  • spurslol 14 Nov 2019 20:15:49 394 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SuperFuckinRetardedEskimo
  • brokenkey 14 Nov 2019 20:17:26 10,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    Botw is literally full of content. Has its own town management sim ffs
    What, what?
  • Deleted user 14 November 2019 20:20:57
    He's being generous. Tarry Town is essentially a hub of fetch quests that culminates in a town with some different shops.

But the point is there's loads to do if you scratch the surface. There's a reason a few of us are on our 3rd playthrough

Edited by adamasunder12 at 20:22:27 14-11-2019
  • DangerousDave_87 14 Nov 2019 20:31:13 6,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love Breath of the Wild, but can see why some might think it is empty. It's very light on narrative and requires the player to craft their own adventure. It's the polar opposite of almost every other open world or AAA adventure. Its the very reason I love it, but a few of my mates get nothing from it at all.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2019 20:33:03
    Yeah totally, it was just a perfect adventure game for me.

It's also the only open world game I've played where the controls didn't let me down.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.