Britbox - BBC and ITV do a Netflix Page 2

• SnackPlissken 28 Feb 2019 10:19:26 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oversaturated market of streaming services.. I donít think anyone will topple Netflix, as theyíre producing better original content than bbc and itv combined. But yeah they want a piece of the pie, but it raises huge questions again over that fucking joke of a tv licence.

Then again if you gave me HBO go Iíd be happy...

Edited by SnackPlissken at 10:20:10 28-02-2019
  • JamboWayOh 28 Feb 2019 10:22:45 15,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always chuckle how the beeb mention the tv licence as "the unique way the BBC is funded". It being unique because they threaten you with jail time if you don't pay.
  • senso-ji 28 Feb 2019 10:23:19 9,928 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not going to sub, but I actually think challenging Netflix et al is a good idea; quality of programming can only go up if there is more competition. All the Disney stuff will be pulled from Netflix, so they will need to up their game. Same if BBC etc also move their content off.

Plus, only a one or two streaming services means they can control the price more easily, and we'll end up in a US broadband style situation where a few providers are providing a sub-standard service for a high cost.
  • Nazo 28 Feb 2019 10:26:05 1,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another problem for BBC is that they donít make everything they show these days so they wonít necessarily have the rights to put new stuff on this.

Seems like theyíd be better off targeting a wider international audience than domestic.
  • mothercruncher 28 Feb 2019 10:27:15 16,719 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I already donít think the license fee is good enough value. I canít think of anything I regularly tune in for these days. A random history program, 2 minutes of radio while making a coffee and their news coverage is worse than ever in the ďyouíre a twat but do HAVE YOUR SAYĒ era.
    Actually itís shit value.
    Iíd consider dropping a TV license in favour of this, if itís a fiver a month or so.
  • Psychotext 28 Feb 2019 10:27:24 65,792 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I couldn't be less excited by this.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Feb 2019 10:30:55 15,740 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So who's looking forward to Homes Under the Hammer on demand?
  • nudistpete 28 Feb 2019 10:35:07 940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I must be the only person on in the country that doesn't mind paying the license fee, and I don't even watch much BBC TV. It's worth every penny to fund BBC Local Radio and BBC News online.

Britbox does sound like a poor idea, can't imagine many people would bother unless they went freemium like Hulu/Spotify etc. I'd be far more excited if Auntie teamed up with Discovery to produce a streaming service that just aired "Inside the Factory" and "How it's Made" all of the time.
  • imamazed 28 Feb 2019 10:36:42 6,393 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A lot of Daily Mail-esque BBC bashing in here...

I really don't see the issue with wanting to do this. iPlayer is primarily a catch-up service provided as part of the licence fee, and why shouldn't the BBC try to take back some earnings from its shows and archival content, especially given the government imposed cuts they've endured and the over 75s licences they're (probably) going to have to pay for soon.

That said, I think the issue is that people won't actually subscribe in big numbers. Not convinced that the shows will be a big enough draw. And I doubt that the BBC/ITV will allow the most expensive original content be exclusive to the service. I do hope they find a way to make it work, though. Clearly the infrastructure is already there given the US service.
  • thelzdking 28 Feb 2019 10:42:30 9,660 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It would be nice to have all the BBC documentaries available, especially less mainstream stuff like Timewatch, Adam Curtis, Arena etc. For all its faults the BBC seems to do that sort of stuff in a way no-one else can, presumably because few would pay for it willingly.

I couldn't give a fuck about Luther or Mrs Brown's Boys though.

Edited by thelzdking at 10:44:11 28-02-2019
  • SnackPlissken 28 Feb 2019 10:45:36 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    A lot of Daily Mail-esque BBC bashing in here...

I really don't see the issue with wanting to do this. iPlayer is primarily a catch-up service provided as part of the licence fee, and why shouldn't the BBC try to take back some earnings from its shows and archival content, especially given the government imposed cuts they've endured and the over 75s licences they're (probably) going to have to pay for soon.

That said, I think the issue is that people won't actually subscribe in big numbers. Not convinced that the shows will be a big enough draw. And I doubt that the BBC/ITV will allow the most expensive original content be exclusive to the service. I do hope they find a way to make it work, though. Clearly the infrastructure is already there given the US service.
    Itís been used to pay for Chris Evans etc...
  • Tomo 28 Feb 2019 10:51:21 17,039 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    I must be the only person on in the country that doesn't mind paying the license fee, and I don't even watch much BBC TV. It's worth every penny to fund BBC Local Radio and BBC News online.

Britbox does sound like a poor idea, can't imagine many people would bother unless they went freemium like Hulu/Spotify etc. I'd be far more excited if Auntie teamed up with Discovery to produce a streaming service that just aired "Inside the Factory" and "How it's Made" all of the time.
    I largely agree. Think the licence fee is great value. It doesn't just contribute to TV. It funds excellent journalism as well. The country would be a much sadder place without the BBC.

Britbox does sound naff for UK audiences though, considering everything is essentially already free (if you pay the licence). Surprised they haven't folded in All4 as well. That would be a huge amount of content.

I can see it being attractive overseas though and makes more financial sense than just loaning shows to Netflix etc.

Edited by Tomo at 10:51:32 28-02-2019
  • DJCopa 28 Feb 2019 10:54:30 2,032 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    nudistpete wrote:

I largely agree. Think the licence fee is great value. It doesn't just contribute to TV. It funds excellent journalism as well. The country would be a much sadder place without the BBC.

Britbox does sound naff for UK audiences though, considering everything is essentially already free (if you pay the licence). Surprised they haven't folded in All4 as well. That would be a huge amount of content.

I can see it being attractive overseas though and makes more financial sense than just loaning shows to Netflix etc.
    I'm in this camp. It's one of those things that will be sorely missed if it ever goes the way of commercial TV.

For all the shit the BBC gets (I moan about guests on Question Time, political bias, etc.) I still trust them more than most other sources.

Radio, Kids TV, World Service - Good value, imo.
  • sport 28 Feb 2019 10:55:39 15,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I could care less tbh.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 28 Feb 2019 10:57:48 8,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    I could care less tbh.
    Go on then.
  • yegon 28 Feb 2019 10:58:33 6,405 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He cares a little bit, donít be mean.
  • Nazo 28 Feb 2019 11:06:31 1,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also donít have any issue paying for the license fee, I think itís important to have a state broadcaster. When I lived in Japan their equivalent was a guy who would call round periodically and demand money on the doorstep.

People tend to forget that as a public broadcaster the BBC has a remit to fulfill, which limits what they can do.
  • sport 28 Feb 2019 11:07:53 15,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    I could care less tbh.
    Go on then.
    Do you even English?!?
  • KRadiation 28 Feb 2019 11:21:47 1,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    For all the shit the BBC gets (I moan about guests on Question Time, political bias, etc.) I still trust them more than most other sources.
    They're just as bad as the others at distorting news and opinions

Check out @TewkesburyLeakís Tweet: https://twitter.com/TewkesburyLeak/status/1072878703204597760?s=09

:/
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2019 11:25:17 24,433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I donít mind the license fee particularly. I get to watch things like Monty Don walking around Japan and thatís good enough use of my hundred odd quid per year
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2019 11:43:25 24,433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I had an interview at the bbc when I was about 18, they asked me if I knew anything about streaming media, which I had, and mentioned the old 4OD service. They told me about their new iPlayer and I started laughing at how embarrassingly bad the name was, to rip off Apple back when iPods were all the rage. I didnít get the job funnily enough. Britbox sounds even worse though
  • Rodney 28 Feb 2019 11:44:02 3,994 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The BBC is alright but maybe it should focus on what it does well and stuff that is commerically riskier.
    It should have fewer channels, and less Strictly Come Dancinf and Bargain Hunt. And it should have more documentaries and non commerical music, and greater support for up and coming talent in drama/comedy/music.

And be less cringey covering royal events!

Edited by Rodney at 11:44:38 28-02-2019
  • Nazo 28 Feb 2019 11:52:22 1,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I donít mind the license fee particularly. I get to watch things like Monty Don walking around Japan and thatís good enough use of my hundred odd quid per year
    I found his insistence on pronouncing Ďbonsaií as Ďbonzaií most infuriating.
  • alt-cmd-esc 28 Feb 2019 11:56:11 382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rodney totally agree. The BBC, given its unique funding model, shouldn't be churning out the same crap as the other commercial terrestrial channels and engaging in the overpaid celeb culture to the degree that it does. The way in which it is funded means it can produce programming that wouldn't be 'commercially' viable, so more nature documentaries and less stuff like The Voice, plus far fewer channels should be the order of the day.

The cost of the license fee is about the same now as 12 months of Xbox Game Pass and 12 months of Netflix (if you took advantage of the Xmas deals) - I know which would offer me far greater entertainment over the course of the year for my money.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Feb 2019 12:03:24 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd be a lot more happy with a service like 4OD where the combination of state funding and advertising means lots of backcatalogue and archive stuff as well as catch up for new stuff.
  • DJCopa 28 Feb 2019 12:06:55 2,032 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TBF, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. It's a social product, in that it is trying to cater to all audiences, but at the same time being told by Government that they have to diversify and offer more for less.

It's never going to appeal to everyone, all the time, simply by the nature of what it is.

Now, if they come out and want to charge £10 a month, then that will take the piss :)
  • Psiloc 28 Feb 2019 12:07:54 5,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The main thing I hate about the license fee is that every single decision the BBC makes is accompanied by a billion opinion pieces about whether it's good use of the license fee
  • Psychotext 28 Feb 2019 12:42:09 65,792 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still don't have a licence, because I still don't watch live TV.
  • TheSaint 28 Feb 2019 12:43:48 18,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's irrelevant if you use the Iplayer, you should have one.
  • Psychotext 28 Feb 2019 12:46:07 65,792 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's a new thing, but no, I don't watch iPlayer either.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.