Phoenix Point Refunds seem to be a huge mess.

• Deleted user 14 March 2019 11:05:50
    I don't know how many people have heard but Phoenix Point the XCom spiritual successor has now gone over to the EPIC game store.

I am not going to go over the whole moving from GOG/Steam to EPIC as that was done with metro Exodus but with what is happening specifically with PP.

Firstly the community manager on Discord was completely tone deaf when he posted "it doesn't matter if we get 100% refunds we'll be better off". So all the backers were a cheap loan until you could get to a certain point then run off to EPIC for a cash handout.

My main part of the post is about the promised refunds, on the YouTube video and the FAQ it says we can have a refund if we don't like it.

I went and put a claim in and at the bottom of the google Docs form they are using to process claims it says we have to wait 28 Working days when a 3rd Party company will contact us to sort out payment. People on Reddit have looked into it and you will have to given them your personal details including bank accounts to get the money.

I emailed the developers as I paid for it on PayPal and what was interesting is that how they are taking payments for the game. You pay PayPal who then pays yet another payment site (Xsolla based in Hong Kong) and if I want my money back via PayPal I need to open a dispute as Xsolla won't refund the money no matter what SnapShot games says.

The whole matter stinks and it seems that they are trying their best to hold onto the money whilst trying to seem all so reasonable.

So I am now waiting for PayPal to get back to me as I have opened a dispute as SnapShot games seem to be intent on obscuring their finances and making it hard to get my money back no matter what they claim.

Edited by TheKeyToTime at 11:15:36 14-03-2019
  • Tomo 14 Mar 2019 11:14:22 16,623 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What a huge mess who even uses google docs
  • thedaveeyres 14 Mar 2019 11:15:58 13,863 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why do you want your money back? They are still making the game, aren't they?
  • AaronTurner 14 Mar 2019 11:17:04 10,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh for fucks sake, I was really looking forward to that game but they've just lost a customer if they are exclusive to the Epic store.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Mar 2019 11:59:43 3,511 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They should offer it DRM free themselves through Xsolla or some third party too (as I recall with WOFF Xsolla is iffy about number of times you can download) as that won't break any Epic terms if not available for sale. Having to wait a year for GOG keys is disappointing too even if it has got them extra funding I am happy they have. I personally won't be refunding as I have Epic Store installed for UnrealEd anyway. Not saving payment details on it ever though.

I hope this Epic controversy doesn't damage the game as it is looking very nice and JG is my favourite developer of all time (from the days of Chaos). I do think the reaction to Epic store exclusives is overblown bit though but this IS the internet so... Personally, I just wanted a DRM free copy, I wonder what the physical will be like (I low tiered this as poor at the time)

Edit - and yeah, that community manager sounds a bit if an idiot from what has been said

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 12:00:18 14-03-2019
  • GloatingSwine 14 Mar 2019 12:07:59 3,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It strikes me that getting all stroppy about what shop you're getting your free copy of a game from is peak entitled fuckwit.
  • neilka 14 Mar 2019 12:08:48 22,559 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    More like Phoenix POINTLESS
  • AaronTurner 14 Mar 2019 12:13:18 10,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Who's getting a free game??
  • wizbob 14 Mar 2019 12:45:56 915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really want the game but can wait a year for it to turn up drm free on Gog. I suspect many other strategic gamers can as well, it's the 'strategic' part of our personalities.
  • GloatingSwine 14 Mar 2019 12:56:16 3,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    People who backed Phoenix Point.

You didn't buy the game, or preorder it, you put money down for development which will get you a free copy if and when it launches.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Mar 2019 13:01:14 3,511 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Back around the introduction of Steam I was as pissed off with physicals being forced to use it as people seem to be about Epic Store exclusives now. It was clearly the same thing, Valve offering financial incentives to the likes of Sega and Square to only use Steam (I eventually relented years later for my Total War games (and Last Remnant). But as a backer being able to play the full game with extra DLC for a year while waiting for my DRM free GOG copy is acceptable enough. The fact that that option only got added extremely late was a bit cheeky of Snapshot though.
  • AaronTurner 14 Mar 2019 13:41:23 10,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

You didn't buy the game, or preorder it, you put money down for development which will get you a free copy if and when it launches.
    That is a very disingenuous description of free. They backed a game with the understanding they'd receive a copy of it on a certain platform.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2019 14:12:01
    Apart from the phoenix point website has great big buttons with BUY NOW and IN EARLY ACCESS.

So they are selling a game with promises up to the day they made the announcement to be launching on GOG and Steam.

So yeah they were selling the game making certain promises that they didn't keep.

Of course they made the promise over Linux development until they backed out in December.

What seems underhand is that when I bought the game I was directed to PayPal and then the payment was sent to another payment handler so seems very odd in the way the money is being handled.
  • GloatingSwine 14 Mar 2019 15:10:47 3,809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

That is a very disingenuous description of free. They backed a game with the understanding they'd receive a copy of it on a certain platform.
    When you back a game that doesn't exist yet you do so with the implicit understanding that you may never receive anything at all, because the project might fail. Or be Star Citizen.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Mar 2019 15:31:11 1,021 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Learn from your mistake. Never pre-order.
  • AaronTurner 14 Mar 2019 17:16:46 10,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

When you back a game that doesn't exist yet you do so with the implicit understanding that you may never receive anything at all, because the project might fail. Or be Star Citizen.
    It hasn't failed, it's been successful, but they aren't delivering that game as they said they would. A failed game is a different matter entirely. I haven't backed the game, but I don't think it's wrong to be upset that they changed the final platform for the game if you have. For me, I just don't want another launcher on my PC, let alone the shit show that is the epic launcher so I'll pass on it.
  • Khanivor 14 Mar 2019 17:25:52 44,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    “Promises up to the day that they made the announcement”

You are welcome to re-read this part and pause to give it some actual thought.
  • AaronTurner 14 Mar 2019 17:32:46 10,991 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not sure why everyone is so quick to crap on people, it's a shit deal for the customer and the gamer. Same too with the way the Epic store is going about their business, it's not a practise that is actually beneficial for us.

Edited by AaronTurner at 17:33:06 14-03-2019
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Mar 2019 18:11:29 1,928 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How much did you donate?
  • JoeBlade 14 Mar 2019 18:49:28 4,391 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If it's any more than 5 pre-used pubes he's got all the right to be LITERALLY SHAKING WITH ANGER.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.