Following Google Stadia Page 13

• Farley2k 6 Jun 2019 20:48:58 252 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    $129 is in "play with it" territory for me. I bought one.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 20:51:13 21,095 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    It still isnít entirely clear how the model works. Iím fairly confident itíll be competitive whatever it is.
    It will be free next year but if you want in this year, you have to pay for the stadia Pro for 120 quid. You pay 8.99 a month to access the service as well as having to pay full price for the games. It is not a Netflix model. It's essentially renting a pc to play your games on a range of devices.
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2019 20:52:37 83,331 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DakeyrasUK 6 Jun 2019 20:54:48 4,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have to say I'm not initially taken by the value proposition of Stadia.

£8.99 a month and then buy your games on top of that...

I guess if you pay 5 quid a month for ps+ or xbl this is only £4 a month more....

No console purchase but 120 for the controller and Google chrome ultra hdr 4k stick thingy which includes 3 months of subscription fee.

Hmmm, so 93 quid for a controller and chrome stickamadige. I guess that is 200-300 cheaper than most new consoles and it can player games at 4k 60fps...

So let's say it saves you 250 upfront, if game online then you spend an extra 4 quid a month so it will take 60 months to spend as much as the console would cost. (though this only applies to the less frugal online gamers as you can easily get 12 months of ps+/xbl for about 3 quid a month.)

If you don't pay for online then that 250 is eaten up in less than 30 months...

So I guess (as it always does) it comes down to what games the service will have and whether they are the games for you/me.

Thinking through the costs has me more convinced than my initial reaction, but I remain largely unconvinced until I can experience how well latency issues are resolved.
  • andytheadequate 6 Jun 2019 21:26:52 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon it'll pretty much dominate the market within 5 years. There'll still be a market for traditional PC and games consoles, but a monthly service will be perfect for the majority of people. A bit like how people still buy CDs, vinyl and blurays, but the majority are happy to stream.

And I imagine the idea of paying for new games as well as a subscription is only a short term thing until the concept becomes established. I'm pretty sure they'll be looking at being subscription only eventually.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 21:30:04 21,095 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I reckon it'll pretty much dominate the market within 5 years.
    I massively doubt that. The majority of people like it or not play games like call of duty, fifa and the like, they're not really going to pay a subscription when they are serial monogamers and perhaps spend all their time playing one or two franchises a year. I also think the consumption model of films and music is slightly different to games which is why it hasn't really caught on in any meaningful way. Also you have to take into account Google and its propensity for shelving things. If anything it'll be another option for people but not the market leader especially when the experience depends on the telecommunications infrastructure of your country, city, etc.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 21:37:03 06-06-2019
  • Carlo 6 Jun 2019 21:31:21 21,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The lack of time I have these days, I'd rather just get billed for every minute I play.

Save a fucking fortune!
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Jun 2019 21:46:41 8,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It'll very much depend on what games will be available.

Can't see at least PC gaming die anytime soon regardless.
  • Blackmarsh63 6 Jun 2019 21:46:47 3,724 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @andytheadequate It wont be around in 5 years time. Spectacular failure incoming. The casuals won't go for it and neither will serious gamers so who does that leave ?

Edited by Blackmarsh63 at 21:47:59 06-06-2019
  • andytheadequate 6 Jun 2019 21:49:59 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I massively doubt that. The majority of people like it or not play games like call of duty, fifa and the like, they're not really going to pay a subscription when they are serial monogamers and perhaps spend all their time playing one or two franchises a year. I also think the consumption model of films and music is slightly different to games which is why it hasn't really caught on in any meaningful way. Also you have to take into account Google and its propensity for shelving things. If anything it'll be another option for people but not the market leader especially when the experience depends on the telecommunications infrastructure of your country, city, etc.
    Good point about the idea of "mono-gamers". Maybe each developer of these big games will create their own alternative to play them on. I still reckon it's a problem for Sony and Microsoft though. Why buy one when you can either stream games for a small monthly fee or you only play one game. I bet Epic or Blizzard must be thinking of a way to cut out the middle man of consoles.

Google have tended to shelve relatively small projects, I imagine there's much bigger investment behind this one. And I'm not convinced gaming is that much different from music or films for a lot of people. Obviously it's a bigger technical challenge, but internet speeds are only going to get faster.
  • Rodney 6 Jun 2019 21:50:01 4,663 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't get the excitement over this, haven't there been multiple attempts at streaming services now and none of them have really taken off.

I've tried streaming my Xbox to my PC in the next room and the quality is shit. I can't see how it could be any better through the internet. The infrastructure just isn't there.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 6 Jun 2019 21:51:10 11,807 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this THE REAL NEXT GEN!!1!11one
  • andytheadequate 6 Jun 2019 21:54:37 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    @andytheadequate It wont be around in 5 years time. Spectacular failure incoming. The casuals won't go for it and neither will serious gamers so who does that leave ?
    Why would casuals be against it? Spotify and Netflix are doing pretty well, why wouldn't they be in favour of it for gaming?

Edited by andytheadequate at 21:56:05 06-06-2019
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 21:56:43 21,095 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Good point about the idea of "mono-gamers". Maybe each developer of these big games will create their own alternative to play them on. I still reckon it's a problem for Sony and Microsoft though. Why buy one when you can either stream games for a small monthly fee or you only play one game. I bet Epic or Blizzard must be thinking of a way to cut out the middle man of consoles.

Google have tended to shelve relatively small projects, I imagine there's much bigger investment behind this one. And I'm not convinced gaming is that much different from music or films for a lot of people. Obviously it's a bigger technical challenge, but internet speeds are only going to get faster.
    Internet speeds are going to get faster but in only select locations and this hinges on having uninterrupted access. The UK and the USA still have some shit Internet speeds outside the big cities, and BT have cemented how they don't give a shit about the rollout of high speed Internet nationwide. I don't see Sony or Microsoft being worried anytime soon especially in their case the barrier to entry is owning the console and nothing else, you can subscribe to gamepass on xbox and play offline and it still works.
  • andytheadequate 6 Jun 2019 22:01:06 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I imagine most gamers don't live out in the sticks though. It won't work for everyone, but I still think it'll be pretty popular.

Edited by andytheadequate at 22:08:54 06-06-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Jun 2019 22:04:16 10,892 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Google need to create demand for a higher speed network and then disruptively create a higher speed network
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 22:10:03 21,095 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I imagine most gamers don't live out in the sticks though. It won't work for everyone, but I still think it be pretty popular.
    But for it to dominate as you say it would need accessibility in the sticks. Gamers live everywhere. I really don't see pc gamers abandoning their pc's to jump completely in bed with a company like Google either.
  • Daz190uk 6 Jun 2019 22:20:47 425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't see this taking off straight away. It's too bandwidth hungry.

I live in a city, pay extra for fibre broadband and still only get 25mbps.

Sure, looks like it'll work at 1080p 60 for me but not if anyone in the house is doing anything else with the internet so it's just not practical.

Once we get to the stage were 50mbps broadband is average, the concept might take off.

My boy would be on failure for this but steady growth of streaming as a bolt on service (maybe to extend comsple use to other rooms) to the existing big players - Playstation, Xbox and Steam.
  • Nazo 6 Jun 2019 22:43:43 1,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I massively doubt that. The majority of people like it or not play games like call of duty, fifa and the like, they're not really going to pay a subscription when they are serial monogamers and perhaps spend all their time playing one or two franchises a year.
    You're missing the free tier that doesn't have a subscription cost though. If anything monogamers are the people it would most appeal to as they don't need expensive hardware just to play one game.

I think the pricing of the game will be key, if they are significantly cheaper than console or there's a cheap rental option then maybe it could tempt people to try it out. Otherwise I don't see it taking off.
  • andytheadequate 6 Jun 2019 22:47:01 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I imagine most gamers don't live out in the sticks though. It won't work for everyone, but I still think it be pretty popular.
    But for it to dominate as you say it would need accessibility in the sticks. Gamers live everywhere. I really don't see pc gamers abandoning their pc's to jump completely in bed with a company like Google either.
    By dominate I don't mean 100%, just a big enough market share to dramatically impact the sales of MS, Sony and Nintendo. Perhaps 5 years is a bit optimistic (or pessimistic); at first I think it will become everyone second console. One where you don't have to pay up front for expensive hardware, but where you can start and stop your subscription whenever you want.

Longer term I think It'll be dominant though.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 22:50:05 21,095 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I massively doubt that. The majority of people like it or not play games like call of duty, fifa and the like, they're not really going to pay a subscription when they are serial monogamers and perhaps spend all their time playing one or two franchises a year.
    You're missing the free tier that doesn't have a subscription cost though. If anything monogamers are the people it would most appeal to as they don't need expensive hardware just to play one game.

I think the pricing of the game will be key, if they are significantly cheaper than console or there's a cheap rental option then maybe it could tempt people to try it out. Otherwise I don't see it taking off.
    I think digital has shown that low prices aren't a thing.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Jun 2019 22:53:08 10,619 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait, arenít people that only play fifa the first that are going to erm, jump in? Console+psn/xbox live+ fifa versus fifa and a small subscription? Not to mention most tvs will have chromecast capabilities build in?
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jun 2019 22:54:05 21,095 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    By dominate I don't mean 100%, just a big enough market share to dramatically impact the sales of MS, Sony and Nintendo. Perhaps 5 years is a bit optimistic (or pessimistic); at first I think it will become everyone second console. One where you don't have to pay up front for expensive hardware, but where you can start and stop your subscription whenever you want.

Longer term I think It'll be dominant though.
    Why would it be a 2nd console when it's prob gonna have mainly multiplatform games. I really don't see that. This sounds like Ouya all over again about disrupting the market but less of a scam.
  • andytheadequate 6 Jun 2019 23:12:55 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely Google will try and get some exclusives eventually though? Epic have tried doing it on PC, so I can't imagine it'll be that big a jump for Google to try it.

And I think comparing it to digital prices is the wrong comparison. Digital music, films, books and games are all pretty much the same price as physical copies. If Google can make it a viable subscription model like Netflix or Spotify then it'll be successful, but that won't be the case at launch.
  • AcidSnake 6 Jun 2019 23:25:25 8,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Google have set up a new games division for this haven't they? They'll have exclusives soon enough...

As for the FIFA mention when 5G starts to be adopted I can see people playing a quick game with their mates in the pub or something... Won't need the 4K there either...
  • TPReview 6 Jun 2019 23:35:03 1,380 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love new stuff and like the idea of this, gaming on any screen with no patch or update times sounds great to me. Have pre ordered as I wanted a chrome cast ultra anyway and this isn't that much more.

Bit weird they won't send any of it out until November. Why not send me the Chrome Cast now?
  • Tonka 7 Jun 2019 07:16:22 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    It will be free next year but if you want in this year, you have to pay for the stadia Pro for 120 quid. You pay 8.99 a month to access the service as well as having to pay full price for the games. It is not a Netflix model. It's essentially renting a pc to play your games on a range of devices.
    That's not how I understood it. From looking at their presentation I think it will work like this
    * You can have Pro without the 120quid Founders package. (That's basically a heavy subsidised way to get the required hardware plus 3 months of Pro)
    * They say "Stadia Pro gives you regular content that we add to your library" sounds like you get some games in the Pro subscription. Not clear on how many or which games.
    *Cheapo poor person tier allows you to play games that you buy but removes the monthly fee.

Edited by Tonka at 07:21:32 07-06-2019
  • TPReview 7 Jun 2019 08:02:27 1,380 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yeah I think Pro is Gamepass basically, you get a set of games you can play with that subscription.

Also this year the only way to take part is to get the founder's edition, then the free/premium sign ups will happen early next year (probably in February when the Founder's editions expire)
  • General_Martok 7 Jun 2019 09:24:38 1,422 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I reckon it'll pretty much dominate the market within 5 years. There'll still be a market for traditional PC and games consoles, but a monthly service will be perfect for the majority of people. A bit like how people still buy CDs, vinyl and blurays, but the majority are happy to stream.

And I imagine the idea of paying for new games as well as a subscription is only a short term thing until the concept becomes established. I'm pretty sure they'll be looking at being subscription only eventually.
    Massively dominate a market where MS is about to spunk some money on?
  • Dougs 7 Jun 2019 09:33:44 95,992 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Google need to create demand for a higher speed network and then disruptively create a higher speed network
    I think there's an argument for this, but bar a few trials in the US, they haven't shown any real intention to invest in infrastructure.

I can't see this taking off until FTTP is everywhere in the UK, so you're looking at another 15 years or so. I just can't see legacy networks coping well enough with it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.