Following Google Stadia Page 14

• paulboy81 7 Jun 2019 10:01:33 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TPReview wrote:
    yeah I think Pro is Gamepass basically, you get a set of games you can play with that subscription.
    I'm getting more of a "free games with GOLD" type vibe from it than Gamepass. I'd be very surprised if it's as comprehensive as the latter, happy to be proven wrong though!

Overall I was hoping for a more inclusive subscription model, I'd happily pay more if the entire library was included.
  • mothercruncher 7 Jun 2019 10:29:24 16,784 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is the new shiny but the sheen comes off as soon as you think about it in any detail. Iím on the edge of a large city but can still only get a 25 meg line- the quality will be dogshit even if it works optimally all the time, which it absolutely wonít.
    Donít we all relentlessly chase the fidelity thing as gamers? Constantly wanting a more powerful console, higher and more consistent frame rates and a higher res monitor? Why are we considering chucking all of that away suddenly?

Who else fancies only having a quick half hour to squeeze some gaming in only to find the routerís playing up? Or your mates other half is streaming something and they jank about in front of you?

And I can only imagine how invasively theyíre going to scrape data and advertise right at your eyeballs too.

Biggest nail in the coffin though for me is youíre buying games, as you do currently, but will have no ability to play them unless you keep ponying up the monthly fee to google. This takes the egregious Sony/Microsoft hating of some online content to a whole new level.

Itís got the Google name behind it and that makes it interesting but that doesnít stop it being the Emperorís New Clothes of gaming for me.
  • Tonka 7 Jun 2019 10:29:28 29,983 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How many games will Pro have? Will you "keep" them at the paupers level if you stop paying? Will games only be available for a certain amount of time?

It's sad how fuzzy they are on this. I guess things aren't fully decided yet, still some time until launch so there's plenty of opportunity to clarify.
  • AcidSnake 7 Jun 2019 10:43:53 8,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mothercruncher:
    A lot of the connection issues you mention could be something aimed at say Netflix as well though and people seem to be OK with that...

Biggest nail in the coffin though for me is youíre buying games, as you do currently, but will have no ability to play them unless you keep ponying up the monthly fee to google
    That's not what I got from the presentation. Games you outright buy are then yours to play without paying for anything else. That's why Pro is a subscription fee and Base costs nothing.
    Would be pretty weird if Base couldn't even play games as why would they even have that tier?
  • TommyUnderwear 7 Jun 2019 10:48:17 259 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Each to their own and all that but I am very interested to see how it all works out. Currently on a virgin 340mbps (60 on its worst days) line and looking to move to Vodafone gigibit broadband. 120 euro for what looks to be a top class controller and a 4K chrome cast with 3 months sub is too good to pass up.
  • AcidSnake 7 Jun 2019 10:56:47 8,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Things I'd like to know:
    - How many/which games are included in the Pro library?
    - Do games get removed from the Pro library or are they just added to over time?
    - I imagine there'll be some friends system, but will there be integrated voice comms (which takes up bandwidth of course)?
    - Can you pause your Founder Pro subscription or does it automatically activate for 3 month in November? Would be good if you could wait activating it, maybe skip the possible teething issues and wait until Destiny 2 isn't their main focus
    - Will regular Chromecasts be supported eventually?
  • Tonka 7 Jun 2019 11:39:21 29,983 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Biggest nail in the coffin though for me is youíre buying games, as you do currently, but will have no ability to play them unless you keep ponying up the monthly fee to google
    That's not what I got from the presentation. Games you outright buy are then yours to play without paying for anything else.
    This is correct. You're only able to play them at the lower setting that I can't remember. It's all in print on the stadia website.
  • RedPanda87 7 Jun 2019 11:44:52 1,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm interested, but definitely in a 'wait and see' position at the moment.
    My internet is theoretically comfortably fast enough and I like the idea of being able to easily play games on various different screens. Doubt I'll bother with the subscription as I don't have a 4K screen and I get the sense there won't be that much 'free' stuff I want.
  • Fake_Blood 7 Jun 2019 11:45:18 9,875 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    35Mbps means almost 16GB of data per hour. Unlimited internet is 1000GB per month in most cases, which would limit you to about 2 hours per day.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Jun 2019 11:59:03 21,771 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Unlimited internet is 1000GB per month in most cases
    With who?
  • JamboWayOh 7 Jun 2019 12:12:19 16,042 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm pretty sure I've caned well over a TB on my unlimited plan that I had with sky. I was never throttled or told to stop. Unlimited is unlimited from what I know unless they explicitly state a fair usage policy.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Jun 2019 12:25:11 21,771 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    None of BT's unlimited packages have any kind of usage restrictions either. Ofcom would be all over it if they did.
  • Fake_Blood 7 Jun 2019 12:29:59 9,875 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Telenet here in Belgium, I received a warning when I went over 1TB the month I got my xbox x and downloaded my library. I read that I was the same in the states so thought it was kind of general rule.
  • Nazo 7 Jun 2019 12:31:17 1,116 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder if there will be any gotchas with the free version (ads etc). Anyone using the service is costing Google money, they wonít want people buying just one game then playing that 24/7.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Jun 2019 12:34:06 16,042 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Almost certainly there will be ads and using your data. Free always has a condition.
  • Dougs 7 Jun 2019 12:35:41 91,280 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Telenet here in Belgium, I received a warning when I went over 1TB the month I got my xbox x and downloaded my library. I read that I was the same in the states so thought it was kind of general rule.
    It's competition in the UK that stops that. Some of the Mobile operators probably have fair use though, if any still offer unlimited.
  • MrWonderstuff 7 Jun 2019 12:37:39 3,075 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't use their speed test...just puts me back to the main homepage. Ah well.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Jun 2019 12:41:32 16,042 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    It's competition in the UK that stops that. Some of the Mobile operators probably have fair use though, if any still offer unlimited.
    I recently helped my mother get a new isp after she moved house last week and looking on the price comparison websites there were under 5 providers that had fair usage policies, and they were all smaller providers. It was also interesting to read how shit at customer service a lot of ISP are these days.
  • frightlever 7 Jun 2019 12:56:23 1,450 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TommyUnderwear wrote:
    Each to their own and all that but I am very interested to see how it all works out. Currently on a virgin 340mbps (60 on its worst days) line and looking to move to Vodafone gigibit broadband. 120 euro for what looks to be a top class controller and a 4K chrome cast with 3 months sub is too good to pass up.
    TIL Vodafone offer gigabit broadband. Not in Belfast, obviously, but it gives me hope. I'm assuming you're still in the Republic. Considering the state of Irish broadband back when I was "running" IT for a company linking a Dublin office with head office in the North, I'm impressed with how much better things are there now.
  • TommyUnderwear 7 Jun 2019 13:23:29 259 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @frightlever I canít say much for the rest of the country but down in Waterford and up in Dublin itís exceptional. All of the local estates down here seem to be getting the SIRO upgrades needed for gigabit broadband. We were told that by the end of June it will be available. Am considering sticking with Virgin anyway as they offer up to 400mbps and they have been excellent since I moved into this house 11 years ago.
  • MrWonderstuff 7 Jun 2019 13:57:46 3,075 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really don't get the free bit - I mean you still have to buy the game and then you are stuck with 1080p. What if you have a 4k tv or PC? May as well get it digitally for console/pc.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 13:58:02 07-06-2019
  • JamboWayOh 7 Jun 2019 13:59:33 16,042 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Really don't get the free bit - I mean you still have to buy the game and then you are stuck with 1080p. What if you have a 4k tv or PC? May as well get it digitally for console/pc.
    Thatís why I donít get, you got an xbox or PlayStation and you can play this stuff offline whenever you want.
  • RedPanda87 7 Jun 2019 14:52:55 1,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    I assume the appeal is being able to play it on basically any screen, and without having to move a console/PC around or re-install it. That appeals to me as for one reason or another I don't always want to play on the same screen/in the same room.
  • THFourteen 7 Jun 2019 14:56:23 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ultimately it doesnít matter what broadband you get. I am on Virgin fibre, I can regularly speedtest @ 100mbs with a ping of 20ms. My pc is wired directly to the router.

But when trying streaming tech like shadow, anything over 1080p is not a great experience, it artifacts and spikes a lot.

Thereís way more to it than just your average speeds, and I am fussy but not like as fussy as that guy who complains about the black levels on their OLED
  • Iwasexclusive 7 Jun 2019 16:58:32 77 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I will pay £79.99 per month to a single provider for the following:

- Fiber 100Mbs
    - Internet
    - Telephone
    - Mobile
    - Unlimited movies (like Netflix)
    - Unlimited music (like Spotify)
    - Unlimited games

Make it happen Google/Amazon/Vodafone/Virgin/BT/etc. My child benefit is waiting for you.
  • TommyUnderwear 7 Jun 2019 17:17:54 259 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iwasexclusive wrote:
    I will pay £79.99 per month to a single provider for the following:

- Fiber 100Mbs
    - Internet
    - Telephone
    - Mobile
    - Unlimited movies (like Netflix)
    - Unlimited music (like Spotify)
    - Unlimited games

Make it happen Google/Amazon/Vodafone/Virgin/BT/etc. My child benefit is waiting for you.
    I could see a provider or two jumping on the bandwagon. Pay for this subscription and your stadia gaming time doesnít go against your allowance. Many of the mobile providers do this for social media access.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Jun 2019 18:16:34 7,787 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There's very good consumer reasons to have those things provided by at least a few different companies, of course
  • Khanivor 7 Jun 2019 19:03:54 44,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A 300mbit fiber to the home connection with no data caps whatsoever and a 1ms ping to the local exchange makes me very interested in this.

Edited by Khanivor at 19:05:10 07-06-2019
  • Tonka 20 Aug 2019 09:23:52 29,983 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So... yeah.

Cyberpunk 2077 eh?
  • mangojoe 20 Aug 2019 09:53:37 2,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if google are paying them shit loads or if the developers have alot of faith in Stadia.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.