Following Remedy's Control Page 11

• Ror 30 Aug 2019 19:34:59 18,824 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just in case anyone else is wondering, you can go back into the world after completing the story. I did a few more sidequests afterwards, unlocked a few more abilities. Wonder if I can actually beat Tomassi now D:

I ended up with 40/46 achievements, two of which are secret, so I might look them up. Kind of feel like 100%ing this.
  • chrisno21 30 Aug 2019 22:50:44 2,215 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm hoping to go for the plat on this too, combat is the worst part so may hit a wall but I'm hooked.

Edited by chrisno21 at 22:51:03 30-08-2019
  • Derblington 31 Aug 2019 11:51:57 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sigh.

I really like the game but I've hit a boss fight (cleansing the TV in the Panopticon) and it's just fucking awful. The room is small, the lighting all goes red with heavy shadowing so it's impossible to see everything you need to be aware of, there's little cover (the crouch button rarely works well anyway) and there's too many enemies to keep track of.
    On top of that it's a 30 second journey from the spawn point to the boss room with a random encounter on the way, which triggers about 70% of the time.

I wish Remedy wouldn't shit on their games like this.
  • Addy__ 31 Aug 2019 13:31:32 1,432 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Love the game but it's a strange one. The shooty is bland and not that compelling but I love how weird the story and environment is.
  • Ror 31 Aug 2019 13:37:16 18,824 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've hit a wall on two sidequests now. Just cannot beat either boss. I've maxed HP, Energy and Launch (and am most of the way down the other trees), but they still two-hit me.

I'm going to see if I can craft some better mods and then give each othe them another go, but I think after that I need to take a break. I've gone pretty hard on this game over the last week, which doesn't happen all that often for me, and I am on the verge of burning out on it. Need a break.
  • ChiefGB 31 Aug 2019 13:39:20 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah itís the story bits Iím most interested in, the director sections are quite AW like, but when thereís longer sections of combat inbetween it does get a bit samey. Jesse doesnít have a lot of personality still though and the enemies are somewhat characterless too. Itís a decent game but with the bugs and performance issues and as mentioned it will likely drop price soon, itís probably worth waiting before jumping in for those on the fence.
  • Addy__ 31 Aug 2019 13:53:15 1,432 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah kind of wish I'd not spunked £47 but I cant control the impulsive beast inside me lol.
  • SiroccoJetProp 31 Aug 2019 14:59:36 284 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finished the game Thursday night. Enjoyable. Got the majority of my money back selling on ebay
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Aug 2019 15:35:47 6,369 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Playing some more of this today. Might just be because I'm full of a cold, but the gameplay is really starting to grate with me now. The gunplay feels loose and spongey and the powers seem to rely on an really erratic auto-aim.

Setting and story are still decent, but the actual combat feels awful, particularly by contrast with Remnant, which is the other PC game I have on the go at the moment.
  • [maven] 31 Aug 2019 15:48:16 5,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I've hit a wall on two sidequests now. Just cannot beat either boss. I've maxed HP, Energy and Launch (and am most of the way down the other trees), but they still two-hit me.
    Which ones are those? Some bosses I had a lot of trouble with, but it turns out here's sneaky things that make them much easier.

That said, I only managed to do Mold-1 and Tommasi after finishing the main story...
  • Ror 31 Aug 2019 16:03:23 18,824 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha, it's the two you mentioned.

With Mold-1, I'm doing ok until he drops all the exploding things from the ceiling (coupled with mould men spawning in), and with Tomassi it's when the invisible enemy spawns in, forcing me to keep moving, which is dangerous when out in the open as a single hit from Tomassi takes half my health.

Spoilered just to be on the safe side - others may not want to know details of those encounters ahead of time.
  • [maven] 31 Aug 2019 16:26:51 5,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ror

For Mold-1: Look up at the ceiling, and grab the exploding spores to throw at the big central stalk's blossom (I've heard you can also throw at the arms to prevent the big attack). This seems to stun and do large chunks of damage. When the spores drop, levitate & dash around. In general I mostly stuck behind the rock pillar to the right when you drop down unless I was actually aiming and throwing.

For Tomassi: You can get a first throw in while he appears behind the Sphere that he won't dodge. This generally seems to stunlock him, so follow up with more. I used Grip and Pierce as guns (with Pierce mainly for the boss, although I'm not good at controller aiming in this). Try to keep energy available for when the adds spawn, and yes, focus invisible guy ASAP while staying out of line of sight of Tomassi. Rather waste energy on a preventive shield rather than risk damage (it works even if done at the last second).

For both, a fully upgraded throw is helpful, as are reduced throw energy usage mods (+ extra health).
  • Ror 31 Aug 2019 16:44:09 18,824 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @[maven] That's exactly what I've been doing with both of them :D I think it possibly doesn't help that I've been doing them fairly late at night - I should probably try when I'm more awake and alert, but I think I've tried each one 5-10 times /o\ It just seems like if you make a single mistake you're dead.

Mold-1 in particular has that homing attack that it likes to combine with the room-shaking and mouldmen spawns, and I've been hit around cover with it a few times - I guess I'm not hugging that pillar as close as I should. It also tries to smash you over the cover, and that's caught me a few times, so I think a number of times I've just wondered if it's even worth staying in cover, and then I rush out and get killed. I have accidentally thrown the spores at the arms by accident once or twice, but didn't realise it stuns the boss, so that may well be a big help.

Thanks for the tips. They're annoying me, because I can get them both pretty low, which then makes me think I can beat them, but I just can't seem to get them over the line, so to speak.
  • Duffking 31 Aug 2019 18:21:06 16,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Someone needs to get some serious questioning over the decision to not put a fucking checkpoint before boss fights. What the fuck is the point of that? You're not Dark Souls, stop wasting my fucking time.
  • Addy__ 31 Aug 2019 18:42:57 1,432 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I keep going round in circles with this map. It's probably just me being stupid but for some reason I lose my bearings quite easy on this game.
  • Malek86 31 Aug 2019 19:06:17 8,755 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Someone needs to get some serious questioning over the decision to not put a fucking checkpoint before boss fights. What the fuck is the point of that? You're not Dark Souls, stop wasting my fucking time.
    I could argue that it doesn't even need to be in Dark Souls, the run-back to a boss is one of the most annoying things in the games.
  • ChiefGB 31 Aug 2019 19:16:22 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Addy__ no itís not you, itís poor and doesnít load in properly often. Take to getting a general direction to your target and then just follow the in game signs from there, it does seem to pad things out the way theyíve done it all but then sometimes you find things hidden in the far corners.
  • drhcnip 31 Aug 2019 21:57:05 6,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i'm disappointed - i'm bouncing off this rather hard...the world-building and story so far are intriguing but crappy combat, 1d characters and a general lack of personality are proving too much for me, especially now i'm an old fart with very little time for gaming...think i'll go and play man of medan instead....
  • Duffking 31 Aug 2019 22:16:29 16,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Duffking wrote:
    I could argue that it doesn't even need to be in Dark Souls, the run-back to a boss is one of the most annoying things in the games.
    Latter souls games mostly realised that too, but it has its uses for some bosses like Capra Demon where the gauntlet back is kind of fitting and iconic since the fight itself is so quick. Less so stuff like Martyr Logarius.
  • chrisno21 31 Aug 2019 22:54:48 2,215 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At least cut scenes don't replay every bloody time like in Sekiro, stunning game but drove me mad.
  • Addy__ 31 Aug 2019 23:31:01 1,432 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @drhcnip

What is man of Medan?
  • JamboWayOh 31 Aug 2019 23:48:02 14,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__

It's like a spiritual sequel to Until Dawn by the same devs.
  • Addy__ 31 Aug 2019 23:49:38 1,432 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Sounds intriguing.
  • Duffking 1 Sep 2019 00:22:57 16,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't actually understand how the mold 1 fight is even possible. The tentacle slams hit you even when they obviously miss.

I've generally enjoyed this a lot but many of these optional bosses are among the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Edited by Duffking at 00:25:51 01-09-2019
  • ChiefGB 1 Sep 2019 00:24:06 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought and installed medan to play with mrs chief this evening as we really enjoyed until dawn, yet somehow Weíve ended up watching Rambo 3 instead 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • chrisno21 1 Sep 2019 09:09:23 2,215 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bosses are terrible, highlights how good other Devs are.
  • Frogofdoom 1 Sep 2019 09:20:22 13,948 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man of medan is alright but its nowhere near as good as until dawn. If you rated until dawn as a 9 this would be a 6.5/7.

The next part looks good though from the teaser you get.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 09:25:34 01-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Sep 2019 09:24:58 6,369 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @chrisno21 Yeah, these boss fights are... not good. I actually thought the first one was an utter shitshow. At that point, they've just given you the telekinesis power and then the first thing they do is throw you up again a boss that's immune to it.
  • Darth_Flibble 1 Sep 2019 09:28:30 3,600 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    From reading this, will wait till its £20 or gamepass. The point about no checkpoints before a boss fights sounds really annoying, also the end of game QB boss was fucking awful. I do wonder how they think this is ok. Games do rushed or corners cut but while remedy is good at story, they recently fall on bosses and checkpoint design
  • Frogofdoom 1 Sep 2019 09:36:00 13,948 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon he isnt though as it makes him move and then stop where you can unload almost your entire gun into him.

It's a shit fight though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.