Following Remedy's Control Page 14

• creepiest-lizard 28 Sep 2019 14:54:23 1,169 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, you never knew when you were going to come up against something that blasts you to oblivion with one hit that you couldn't see through all the shit flying around
  • Dazimus 28 Sep 2019 15:15:50 1,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having not played it for a few weeks, I fired it back up last night and couldnít get into it. As said earlier, it just felt like I was wasting so much time running around empty corridors and then getting into a gunfight only to get killed by a rocket launcher and have to spend ages getting back to the fight again.

Lost a lot of motivation to crack on with it to be honest.
  • disusedgenius 30 Sep 2019 23:54:53 10,422 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting, I just finished the story and expected the thread to be all over this as I expect this'll be GOTY for me. Admittedly I'll complete one single player game a year anyway, so there's usually a pretty short list.

To be fair I was playing KB&M with all the auto aim shit turned on. I generally resented it every time I got killed because the combat was fun enough when you're crushing everything, but it's not refined enough to give a shit about challenge. Luckily most of it was pretty straight forward, though I would've preferred an explicit easy mode.

Loved the setting, story and atmosphere though. Just my kind of dumb bullshit.

Pretty as fuck too.
  • MrAGSystems 1 Oct 2019 00:54:24 845 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Dazimus I ditched it at chapter 4, absolute slog of a game to get through
  • Baihu1983 1 Oct 2019 08:23:49 12,234 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like it's flopped as well?
  • OllyJ 1 Oct 2019 09:27:11 4,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and I'm in two minds about it.

It starts off mega mega slow and I could only play it for about 30 mins before I got a bit of fatigue with it, though I've had a couple of 2-3 hours sessions on it and it really opens up to longer sessions if you can find the time.

I can't even put my finger on what I don't like as aesthetically it's just amazing, everything from the new area HUGE FONT to the superb audio is just so well crafted. The world building too, is great, audio logs, notes etc all worth reading.

Initially it was just getting lost around the building, but...the more I play the more it makes sense what they do with all the signposting...still, sometimes even the map doesn't help all that much.

Maybe it's the characters, they are all a bit boring, especially the main one...I've not found any connection to her yet or to her journey (she's in a near constant state of confusion), it's not as bad as something like Rise of the Tomb Raider but I'm finding the main story to be just a bit "meh", like...for something so flashy and odd...hardly anything has actually happened, it's just eluding to things that have happened or may happen.

I also feel like I should have got better abilities earlier on, the ramp up of action is really long, but again I'm quite happy with the abilities now and I'm finding combat to be brilliant fun...it's just a lot sparser that hoped for.

I would recommend it though, there's a lot to love and it's clear that a lot of care has gone into it, so despite some quirks I do think this is worth picking up.

Edited by OllyJ at 09:28:32 01-10-2019
  • Wavey 2 Oct 2019 00:02:25 1,014 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I am really enjoying it so far. It would be a shame if it flopped. Hope the DLC is still on track.
  • Crea 4 Oct 2019 16:26:32 33 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's surprised me by being one of the best games I've played all year. I'd echo some of the negatives above, but I absolutely love the setting, the world building, the art and environment design, and the combat.

The setting is glorious, David Lynch / X-Files vibe, with the brutalist concrete, with the office vibe of every government department ever.

Loved it!

I would add that the one negative that did really strike me was the spiky difficulty, particularly the inconsistent checkpointing. Kind of needlessly frustrating, on occasion.

Edited by Crea at 16:29:40 04-10-2019
  • Crea 4 Oct 2019 16:26:40 33 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Switch024 4 Nov 2019 10:09:14 3,625 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got this over the weekend and really enjoying it so far. I'm surprised at some of the comments in this thread actually, it's one of the more interesting games I've played in a long time, the setting is brilliant and the combat whilst not being that deep is great fun.
  • ChiefGB 4 Nov 2019 10:17:33 12,402 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I finished this the other day and it turned into a chore to get over the line, many of the bosses are bullshit and it really throws combat encounters at you towards the end.
  • Switch024 4 Nov 2019 10:23:10 3,625 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think they were guilty of something similar with Quantum Break, I never finished it but I remember people hated the final boss.
  • OllyJ 4 Nov 2019 10:37:08 4,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Got this over the weekend and really enjoying it so far. I'm surprised at some of the comments in this thread actually, it's one of the more interesting games I've played in a long time, the setting is brilliant and the combat whilst not being that deep is great fun.
    I enjoyed it up to a point, but after a while I felt the repetition set in.
  • atothewest 4 Nov 2019 10:40:20 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed from start to finish. I don't play lots of this type of game but I thought the combat was a lot of fun with lots of flexibility. The physics made firefights feel really alive IMO. The visuals are outstanding and the environments were great to explore. Not GOTY stuff but something I'd wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.
  • ChiefGB 4 Nov 2019 10:54:03 12,402 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Switch024 thereís not even a final boss here
  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2019 10:56:57 17,011 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Think they were guilty of something similar with Quantum Break, I never finished it but I remember people hated the final boss.
    Yep - I enjoyed it (apart from the platformy bits) and just gave up on the end boss.
  • KD 4 Nov 2019 11:21:20 2,692 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had it for free with a new GPU and really enjoyed the game, was held up on a couple of bosses but the old house setting and story was something I really enjoyed.

Maybe its just Stockholm syndrome
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Nov 2019 12:56:15 8,401 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KD It was very much a game where I was pressing on for the exploration and the story, but forcing myself to endure the combat and the platforming. I know some of the reviews waxed lyrical about the combat, but I found it a chore throughout. It always felt like the player-character was just too fragile for the kind of fast-flowing, kinetic combat they wanted. Combine that with some crap checkpointing and you had a recipe for frustration.
  • Ror 4 Nov 2019 12:59:31 19,972 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved it. Can't wait for the DLC.

Also, I found the last section of this fairly easy. It is a lot of combat, but there were harder encounters sprinkled through the main game.

Also didn't have any problems with the end boss in Quantum Break. I just did laps of the pool.
  • KD 4 Nov 2019 13:10:17 2,692 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I remember the boss down the pit being a nightmare for check pointing, one of many but all I have stuck in my head months later is the poor sod with the worst job in the world watching the fridge and this sequence.

Helped with my new pc having a optical out so played with proper 5.1 sound and just looked and run amazing.
  • Ror 4 Nov 2019 13:27:26 19,972 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God the Ashtray Maze was so good.

And for some reason, the Former fight made me think of fighting Oryx in Destiny - not in the raid, when you fight him solo first.

I never did manage that Mold-1 boss. I should get back on that.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2019 15:33:43
    I'm thinking of picking this up, but the oft-lamented performance issues are putting me off a bit.

Does anyone know how it runs on a base PS4 with the latest patches installed?
  • Fake_Blood 10 Nov 2019 18:10:53 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think itís mostly fine but still drops a few frames when things get really crazy. Digital Foundry did an updated video after the patches, you might want to check that out first though.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2019 20:07:15
    @Fake_Blood Thanks! Appreciate it.
  • KD 11 Dec 2019 01:01:07 2,692 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    IGN's GOTY, nice to see someone give it something.

• Switch024 11 Dec 2019 07:33:05 3,625 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Itís great. Iíve got 3 other games on the go at the minute but Control is the one I keep going back to. Just made it to Black Rock Processing. Iíd have up there along Resi 2 as my favourite game this year.
  • monkman76 3 Jan 2020 12:57:32 16,062 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are pickups randomised in this? I've got a couple of stat boosts for a gun type (Shatter) that I don't have yet, so I'm wondering if I've missed that somewhere.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2020 13:03:22 8,401 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monkman76 Yes, they're randomised and I think each area has its own potential drops list. There were a few times I was getting boosts for weapons I didn't have yet, but it's generally a sign that you're almost at the point where you can unlock the weapon.
  • Switch024 3 Jan 2020 13:11:46 3,625 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got quite a few for pierce before I was able to unlock it too/.
  • monkman76 3 Jan 2020 13:18:50 16,062 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OK thanks. Thought I'd been pretty thorough.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.