Following Remedy's Control Page 15

• Bichii 3 Jan 2020 13:21:01 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm so glad control is getting goty awards and is in most lists. Personally I enjoyed it but was disappointed and that is only because I love all of remedy's games. They are such a great development team and it's good to see them get some more recognition.
  • ChiefGB 3 Jan 2020 13:30:22 12,402 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Although a game worth playing, I couldnít justify it at full price and as such itís not goty for me, although it is one of a few that I did play to completion. Much of the frustrations around glass cannon combat , shitty check pointing and difficulty spikes did it in for me, plus the lost progress around challenges the minute you get mugged by a character bombardment you couldnít avoid and the game performance wise wasnít good enough in release.

Good but not great, Iíd still like to see what the dlc ends up
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2020 13:43:16 8,401 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @ChiefGB Yes, "glass cannon combat , shitty check pointing and difficulty spikes" were the biggest flaws. Pity, because I absolutely loved the setting and the exploration. Also, the PC version's fascinating as a ray-tracing tech-demo.

I do wonder if they'd dicked around with the combat system late in development. The general fragility of the player-character felt like it'd fit a stealth-focussed or cover-based game more, whereas the Doom 2016-lite combat they actually went for needed to give the player a bit more endurance.
  • minky-kong 3 Jan 2020 13:51:05 14,556 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Much of the frustrations around glass cannon combat , shitty check pointing and difficulty spikes did it in for me, plus the lost progress around challenges the minute you get mugged by a character bombardment you couldnít avoid and the game performance wise wasnít good enough in release.
    Nailed on exactly why I found it more frustrating than enjoyable. Certainly doesn't trouble my top games of 2019 list.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2020 13:57:36 24,360 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did they ever sort the performance out on PS4 Pro?
  • Bichii 3 Jan 2020 14:03:15 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Standard PS4 performance was maybe the worse I'd ever experienced on the console.

That bit near the end in the dark giant done area gave me rage, the checkpoint was right back to the start if you do died at the end.
  • monkman76 3 Jan 2020 14:08:50 16,062 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Decks Mostly fine now by the sounds of it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-control-patch-130-september-update-analysis
  • HairyArse 3 Jan 2020 14:13:20 1,392 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gotta be coming to Gamepass before too long, right?
  • up_the_ante 11 Mar 2020 21:24:55 1,288 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know if this is a bug but I can't seem to progress any further in the game. I'm on the Threshold mission and I've got to "Traverse the Oceanview Motel". The problem is the only 2 points I know that I can use to access the Oceanview motel have both vanished. The first one is the light switch at the Hotline chamber - which has vanished. Another one briefly appeared in the wall next to the injured guard on the floor. Once I completed that mission that vanished too. I've loaded the game up 4 times now looking for a way to make progress but can't find anything. Am I missing something or is it a bug? It's absolutely ruining the game for me.
  • Bichii 11 Mar 2020 21:51:42 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure about that I'm afraid. Is anyone playing this on PS4? If yes how is the FPS these days? I'm aware there have been a few patches since I sold it.
  • Rum_Monkey 11 Mar 2020 22:01:39 623 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I played it a few months back and it ran perfectly. I was very impressed as a lot of shit was happening on screen constantly.
  • Bichii 11 Mar 2020 22:37:53 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay good to know. At launch it was horrendous.
  • creepiest-lizard 11 Mar 2020 22:45:55 1,169 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was shocking. Its telling that I still realy liked it despite the performance isssues and weird gameplay decisions on combat that made it quite unfair at times.
  • Bichii 11 Mar 2020 22:51:20 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I'll join ps now for one month to go through it again.
  • up_the_ante 12 Mar 2020 00:02:20 1,288 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm playing it on a Pro and it seems fine. Load times using fast travel are annoying long though.
  • Ror 16 Mar 2020 14:06:06 19,972 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • Bichii 25 Mar 2020 14:42:45 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    £20 on PS so I'll probably get it later when I get home from work. The dlc comes out Friday as well and there is a big patch tomorrow with one of the things improved is a map you can understand!!!!
  • JoelStinty 25 Mar 2020 16:37:22 8,798 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I purchased it as well from the sale. Should tide me over then till FF7:R
  • Nazo 25 Mar 2020 16:59:29 1,305 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got the PSNow 7 day trial mostly to try this out but I uninstalled it after sying too many times on the first boss.
    Love the atmosphere and the world building, didn't really click with the combat, it really feels like it needs some cover mechanics or a Max-Payne style shoot-dodge.
    Lack of different difficulty settings seems backwards in this day and age as well.
  • crestedzulu 26 Mar 2020 21:57:03 50 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This has been on the shelf of shame since last year. Toyed a little at Christmas with it, got sidetracked by other games.

Made it to the Maintenance Area now and its getting its claws in to me.
  • up_the_ante 26 Mar 2020 22:38:50 1,288 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I finished this today. It is a good game but has some serious flaws. Getting lost and going round in circles constantly is a big one. Loading times and locations is another. I watched that loading screen for literally hours by the end of it. Also covering the whole game in some zany ambiguity about what's going on means you're unsure what you're supposed to be doing half the time. All the characters you meet act like it's just another normal boring day for them.
  • JoelStinty 27 Mar 2020 21:49:18 8,798 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíve just got to the hotline (and gone back to Emily) and have to say itís made a strong positive start.

It feels very PlayStation 1 in a way. Canít quite pin my finger on it. Reminds me of metal gear and plays a little bit like Resi Evil. Though itís nothing like them at all. Itís
    Maybe that itís setting and tone are so distinct that it feels like nothing I played before. Even if it plays a little bit like those games.
  • [maven] 28 Mar 2020 09:51:15 5,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I enjoyed the DLC. It's just the right length, contains a nice new zone, and plenty of secrets.

It's still got the same problems (weird difficulty in parts with annoying check-pointing ó but that's probably also me playing it wrong) as the main game, but the setting and architecture alone make it a worthwhile trip.

Re: Above: I did never have a problem with sign-posting or where to go next. Read the in-world signs! :)
  • Bichii 28 Mar 2020 17:59:24 2,876 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How long was it?

I'm playing through it again and it's so much better than at launch. The game was half ruined but what I'd say was the worst FPS I've ever seen on PS4 plus I kinda rushed it (shocker). It's pretty smooth now plus I'm taking my time, reading everything etc and I'm loving it.

Edited by Bichii at 17:59:53 28-03-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Apr 2020 11:28:27 24,360 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Picked this up on PS Now and not really feeling it. Does it get beyond endless drab corridors at any point?
  • Rum_Monkey 1 Apr 2020 11:30:57 623 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I'd say stick with it, I found its refreshing once it gets into its stride.

The corridors are plentiful but there's one set piece that will absolutely blow your mind.
  • Bambot 1 Apr 2020 11:39:33 1,571 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @minky-kong These are such strange reactions to the game, for me. I got it recently and thought it was one of the best games Iíd ever played. Incredible setting and story, amazing skills to unlock, fantastic combat. Only thing that put me off were some insanely difficult boss fights, but only three of them, and theyíre all optional side missions. Iíve long since finished the main story and went straight back to find everything else.

Did it get a major tweak post release or something?
  • Bambot 1 Apr 2020 11:41:02 1,571 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey which one was that for you?

Is it anything to do with a mirror by any chance?

Because that one has me completely defeated, itís in my top three least favourite bosses of the game... along with the other two I still canít defeat even with almost fully powered up abilities.
  • Bambot 1 Apr 2020 11:42:35 1,571 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Decks oh wow. Really? I got it last month and itís one of my favourite games of all time. The story is really good. And I love the setting. And the abilities you unlock are so much fun.

Itís all set in that building so if you donít like the building design youíll have to get over that. But honestly, despite the worst map in gaming history, itís one of my all time favourite games.
  • Bambot 1 Apr 2020 11:43:57 1,571 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @[maven] the DLC is out?? Whatís it called?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.