Following Remedy's Control Page 17

• Dgzter 11 Apr 2020 17:23:12 3,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well ... Iíve just picked this up for £25. Hoping the performance isnít wank on PC. Looks interesting enough; got a soft spot for Remedy.
  • Bichii 11 Apr 2020 17:52:03 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ChiefGB yep. On my first run I didn't use shield much. This time I used it pretty often and upgraded it quite a lot. Most of the more frustrating enemy types aren't as bad when shield is used. Especially that cloaked one or the one with the spinning debris or the flying ones that launch stuff at you, all nullified with shield.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2020 01:40:35
    Trying this out on PS Now. I love some of the art direction, the atmosphere and the cool telekinesis power you get. But I've already died a few times, the first boss takes chunks out your tiny health bar. And then you are faced with lengthy load times to retry. I hope it isn't so frustrating it gets in the way of the story, as I get older I often just want to fumble my way through games with little effort. Shame on them making me have to concentrate.
  • up_the_ante 29 Apr 2020 01:50:18 1,364 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Gaol Get a good book. You're going to be looking at that loading screen ALOT
  • Bichii 29 Apr 2020 08:23:28 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Trying this out on PS Now. I love some of the art direction, the atmosphere and the cool telekinesis power you get. But I've already died a few times, the first boss takes chunks out your tiny health bar. And then you are faced with lengthy load times to retry. I hope it isn't so frustrating it gets in the way of the story, as I get older I often just want to fumble my way through games with little effort. Shame on them making me have to concentrate.
    Are you using shield ability yet? You might not have unlocked it yet though. If you're caught out in the open all named enemies will kill you at close range almost immediately until you have shield or you've put points into your health. It can be frustrating at first but once you're more used to the combat and leveled up a bit you'll probably be fine. My first playthrough was definitely very annoying in places.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2020 12:49:49
    We all after initials worries, the combat system just clicked, and I have played this a huge amount over the last few days. I just beat a boss inside a mirror, the build up to which was fantastic. I totally get why they went with a more squishy character now, it brings the combat to life, but they give you the tools to manage it properly.

Thanks for pointing out the value of Shield in this thread, it's hugely useful, particularly against bosses.
  • Bichii 2 May 2020 13:16:34 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. That mirror boss was hard! Took me a good few goes to finally kill it and my brain wasn't working properly as I couldn't work out how to open the door at first. I think that's one of two bosses I had to spam shield to have a chance.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2020 13:51:39
    Yeah think I was 4 attempts. Final strategy was first couple of phases I was launching like mad and staying quite close. For the final phase, I just put shield up until it did its ground slam. Then opened up with my shotgun for a but, then put my shield back up.

I've been lucky to get a crazy good energy recovery speed mod which means my downtime without powers is very low.
  • Darth_Flibble 3 May 2020 12:12:28 4,311 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The amount of damage you take feels like cheap difficulty and add in some shitty checkpointing and its annoying in parts.

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 12:13:54 03-05-2020
  • Deleted user 3 May 2020 19:26:00
    Well I got the platinum today. I ended up loving the combat and atmosphere, but the story lost my interest a bit, it was too obscure and the characters didn't hold my interest. I think Quantum Break was the better story, but this had better combat. I'll be glad if the next gen seriously improves loading times.

Overall a very good game, don't normally rinse them this quick but that's lockdown for you.
  • Phattso 2 Aug 2020 12:54:39 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Picked this up in the sale and, for the £18 Iíve paid, I can deal with the utterly shit performance on OG PS4 and almost forgive it for the loading times.

Amazing combat. The videos really didnít do it justice. Itís so much fun in the hands!

I love how weird it is too. Like being in a David Lynch show. Hope it doesnít shit itself as, a few hours in, its rapidly becoming one of my favourite games this gen.

Rather shows up Spider-Man, which I just finished and really enjoyed, as the well produced but formulaic phone-in it was. Control is the real deal. Feels like something I havenít played before, despite also borrowing heavily from other games. Mainly Remedy ones, mind you. :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Aug 2020 13:27:02 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I want to take a look at the DLC in this, but am tempted to wait a little while. This remains the best demonstration of ray-tracing around on PC and the Ampere cards, with their supposedly huge RTX performance boosts, are rumoured to hit within the next 6 weeks.
  • Phattso 2 Aug 2020 13:29:26 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wonder if itíll get a next-gen patch to add in any ray tracing?
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2020 13:33:25 82,290 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I loved the little touches. Just things like the big white RESEARCH LAB titles as you discover an area. Itís stylistically brilliant. The open world could have got really repetitive but the brutalist design was pretty much all on point.

And I popped a few light boners at the end when you started picking up documentation for the bright falls incident. Expanded Universes 4 lyfe.
  • monkman76 2 Aug 2020 13:46:34 16,157 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I absolutely loved this. Best video game world in a long time, and I also liked the combat a lot more than the consensus on here seemed to be.
  • Bichii 2 Aug 2020 18:53:18 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Picked this up in the sale and, for the £18 Iíve paid, I can deal with the utterly shit performance on OG PS4 and almost forgive it for the loading times.

Amazing combat. The videos really didnít do it justice. Itís so much fun in the hands!

I love how weird it is too. Like being in a David Lynch show. Hope it doesnít shit itself as, a few hours in, its rapidly becoming one of my favourite games this gen.

Rather shows up Spider-Man, which I just finished and really enjoyed, as the well produced but formulaic phone-in it was. Control is the real deal. Feels like something I havenít played before, despite also borrowing heavily from other games. Mainly Remedy ones, mind you. :)
    Shit performance on og PS4? Luckily you didn't play at launch as it runs as smooth as silk compared to launch version.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Aug 2020 18:58:22 25,598 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it was one of dullest games I've ever played.
  • Bambot 2 Aug 2020 19:09:33 1,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

This was my experience with Control too, got it last time it was on sale a few months ago. So weird and different and fun and challenging in the right ways. Couldnít get enough of it but a couple of bosses were too much for me, the plant down below, and the mirror. Even with almost every other upgrade I just canít stay alive long enough to work out the way to get them.

Got the DLC too but not tried it yet!

Edit, I never played Alan Wake but i have a rough idea of the story and thereís some nice Easter eggs that refer to it, did you find them?

Edited by Bambot at 19:10:37 02-08-2020
  • Phattso 2 Aug 2020 23:19:51 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I thought it was one of dullest games I've ever played.
    Just because it didnít have any fucking hats in it, thatís all.
  • Derblington 2 Aug 2020 23:26:55 33,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Rather shows up Spider-Man, which I just finished and really enjoyed, as the well produced but formulaic phone-in it was.
    This is nonsense.
  • Phattso 2 Aug 2020 23:35:56 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Derblington yeah, maybe. But a week after finishing it thatís the overriding impression Iím left with. Itís greater, far far greater, than the sum of its parts. But Iím not going to ignore the fact that they arguably did a poorer job than Rocksteady managed a decade and a console generation ago with a superhero game.

Phone in is the wrong sentiment. Youíre right. Cover band. Thatís it. Theyíre a decent cover band.

I liked Spider-Man. But I already *love* Control. It has the full package from the get go.
  • Derblington 2 Aug 2020 23:43:40 33,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Because all those really high-scoring superhero games are just a piece of piss to pump out....

I like Control too but itís a really odd comparison to make with Spider-man, theyíre nothing alike.
  • Phattso 2 Aug 2020 23:46:29 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Youíre right. Iím only making the comparison because Iím basically blasting through the greatest hits of recent years and I played these back to back.

What Iím trying to convey is that Control feels like a crafted thing. A unique thing. And Iím really appreciating it for that. Spidey was a derivative thing. Not to take anything away from the graft it takes to make such a thing, but they didnít aim for the stars with that one. For me. Opinions. Arseholes. Etc. Etc.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Aug 2020 23:55:12 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had mixed views on Control. Setting and atmosphere were amazing. The story was decent. Combat had promise, but the player character was just too damned fragile for it to be fun most of the time. The Ashtray Maze is fucking incredible and one of the best short-sequences of the generation. The final couple of fights are a chore.

It's also a great tech demo on PC - definitely a test-bed for what next-gen tech might look like.
  • Derblington 3 Aug 2020 00:01:37 33,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I agree with the basic gist of your opinion.

But knowing how difficult it is to make anything good, setting out to make the best Spider-man game is no easy feat. And I think they delivered on that specific goal. Carrying the weight of expectation from comic fans, movie fans and as an open-world superhero title isnít a little thing, and to succeed in that is note-worthy. I like the Batman games too but I feel like Asylum was the best of those, and Spider-man, for me, is a better open-world superhero experience.

Remedy are great though, and Control is the most accomplished thing theyíve done (I like Alan Wake and Quantum Break too but this just feels better).
  • dfunked09 3 Aug 2020 00:36:56 28 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I wouldn't say Control was too far apart from Quantum Break in terms of the main character feeling like a vulnerable puddle of jelly unless you kept moving around. They found their niche with QB and perfected it with Control.

There were the same amounts of frustrating sections in both games imo, but Control just felt a bit more manageable because you could wander off and get a few upgrades before reattempting. The last section was a sweat fest though... I'm still amazed that I managed it first time.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Aug 2020 07:12:04 25,598 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I keep meaning to go back to it but 4 hours of wandering around a nondescript office block shooting nondescript enemies with shit unsatisfying guns that make the enemies go up in a little poof of smoke really wasn't doing it for me. And once I heard the setting barely changes my will to play it completely drained away.
  • nickthegun 3 Aug 2020 08:08:32 82,290 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís true. If you didnít like the first four hours, you probably wonít like the rest. It does switch up a few locations (the quarry is pretty spectacular) but in the main, itís all along a similar theme.

And, yeah, you are squishy at the start. I suppose itís because the game wants you to play tactically yet aggressively forcing you to go for the kill when you are low on health. But all it did was force you to put all your upgrade points into health and force throw damage (or at least it did for me). I maxed both and didnít really touch anything else because (with a few select mods) I could stay in the fight longer and one shot almost everyone with a photocopier to the dome.

I donít think I put a single point into shield, hover and whatever else is in the right hand menu.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:10:03 03-08-2020
  • monkman76 3 Aug 2020 08:19:25 16,157 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I thought the combat was great, forced you to keep moving. Loved the dubby whooshy sound effects too. I just thought the whole thing was incredibly stylish, and the building and backstory was so intriguing.
  • nickthegun 3 Aug 2020 08:55:07 82,290 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I do agree that the gun can be a bit underwhelming, especially early on, the pistol is a bit of a peashooter and machine gun seemed basically worthless.

The sniper livened things up but the grenade launcher was the game changer. As soon as I got that, I mained it and maxed it out as soon as I could and every fight just became PS4 crippling carnage.

I would have also liked the drops a bit more weighted towards what you are using. If Iím exclusively using one form, give me the mats and mods for it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.