Following Remedy's Control Page 26

Next Last
  • Rhaegyr 12 Jan 2021 14:11:47 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Close to abandoning this one - nothing majorly wrong with it but a few frustrations are starting to ruin my enjoyment. I'm not too far into it (I think), just close to finding my brother in the Panopticon.

- Difficulty seems off. I've pumped most of the upgrades into health (and launch) but I usually die in two or three hits, usually from off screen.

- Can barely see enemies (and projectiles) a lot of the time due to how dark the game is. This may be a fault of my TV though (Panasonic 720p plasma). I've fiddled with the brightness settings to no avail.

- Random enemy spawn locations during fights. I've been in the middle of fights and sometimes powerful enemies will spawn practically on top of me.

- Guns are fairly weak feeling and sounding, do very little damage compared to launch and it's a bit strange that for a constantly changing gun you can only switch between two forms on the fly.

The launch ability is great, I like the idea of switching between launch and weapons while they both recharge (if only the weapons felt substantial) and the story/atmosphere is decent.

Does it get much better with regards to the above or should I probably check out now? Playing it on Gamepass.
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:28:30 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It takes a bit of time to get its teeth in, but I'd say you're beyond that point. By this time in the game I was headshotting fools with the pistol while waiting for my abilities to recharge so I could stove in skulls with desk lamps, and I was aware that I needed to be very very mobile to avoid getting overrun.

It's not likely that you're going to grow to like it any more based on what you're saying. Bin it. Move on.

It was one of my favourite games of recent years, and you're a big poo head for not liking it
  • KD 12 Jan 2021 14:33:09 3,195 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    It was one of my favourite games of recent years, and you're a big poo head for not liking it
    Agree...
  • Rhaegyr 12 Jan 2021 14:35:13 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hah!

I love launch and quite like using the pistol out of all the guns (though I'm struggling for upgrade materials to boost it); maybe I need to work on my mobility and stop treating it as a 'traditional' cover shooter and something more akin to Vanquish.

I think I just got pissed off yesterday trying for an hour to get some Mold samples and getting smashed by enemies with a 6 above their head. Then I looked online and found out I shouldn't go there until I have a certain ability, typical.
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:35:26 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Also: I can't imagine trying to play it (or many modern games) at 720p. I salute you, Rhaegyr, for not giving in to the temptation to upgrade a TV just because there's new and shiny.
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:36:13 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    stop treating it as a 'traditional' cover shooter and something more akin to Vanquish.
    In a game where the cover is literally your ammunition, no. No you should not treat this like a cover shooter. :D
  • wuntyate 12 Jan 2021 14:38:27 16,192 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of my favourite games ever. Sometimes it's just fiddling with mods and shit to get the balance right, for example I ended up getting my default grip gun so powerful that I never used anything else (gun wise - power wise I had a fully upgraded launch early on, which annihilated fools). The other trick is to just keep moving. Try and find cover but never stay there for very long. The game wants you to be mobile and aggressive but don't stay out in the open or in one place, you'll get melted.

Edited by wuntyate at 14:39:35 12-01-2021
  • Bichii 12 Jan 2021 14:49:39 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The very quick death thing is a pretty common complaint but most people seem to not bother with shield. It's a life saver and upgraded can allow you to play aggressively.
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:54:38 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I used Shield for one ten minute period in the entire game - it isn't required in order to play aggressively. It's just one of many options. Stay mobile, good positioning, pop-pop-pop-pop-shoooooooom. Rinse, repeat. :)
  • nickthegun 12 Jan 2021 14:58:55 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The combat is weirdly doom like. If youve invested in health, try and put a decent health recovery thing in a mod slot, so the bits you collect top your health up more.

You can then just wade in and when the enemies pop, they will feed you health to keep on going.

Thats how I played, anyway. Fuck the shield.
  • wuntyate 12 Jan 2021 15:02:26 16,192 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I tried out shield once and never bothered. That's not to say it's not useful, it just didn't suit the way I was playing. I didn't find the game all that difficult tbh as I just kept moving and throwing desks at people whilst shooting them in the face. As Nick says, use a health top up mod, that helps too.

Edited by wuntyate at 15:03:15 12-01-2021
  • Rhaegyr 12 Jan 2021 15:02:43 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll at least give it one more go tonight as the positive comments above reminded me why I started it in the first place.

I'm waiting for the plasma to give up the ghost so I can upgrade. 15 years old. Stupid reliable TV.
  • wuntyate 12 Jan 2021 15:03:48 16,192 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just launch your tv at the wall. Works for Control, works in real life.
  • Red_Bool 12 Jan 2021 15:08:02 2,169 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think I'm near the end (I think: I need to reach Dylan in one of those black & red dimension areas) and I do not even have the shield ability (?).
    But then my playstyle is sort-of aggressive (keep moving / shooting / launching) - got the "Killed 1000 Hiss" cheevo last Sunday :) - so I guess I don't need it.

I really love the totally mental WTF?! story and setup. Kind of reminds me of Twin Peaks.

By the way, the maze was one of the best sections in a game ever. The music helped as well.
  • Bichii 12 Jan 2021 15:43:16 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Levitate, ground smash, shotgun, shield, shield push pretty much destroys groups with very little risk to your health. As said above the right mods are helpful as well, so one that recovers health quickly if you play aggressively.
  • crashVoodoo 12 Jan 2021 16:27:53 6,944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you're still struggling can you not go into the options and add in some of the aids that means they tickle you instead of smearing your giblets all over?

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:28:22 12-01-2021
  • wuntyate 12 Jan 2021 16:28:42 16,192 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    By the way, the maze was one of the best sections in a game ever. The music helped as well.
    Absolutely. Loved the shit out of that section.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.