Following Remedy's Control Page 34

• Baihu1983 12 Feb 2021 11:32:38 13,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The rock trick works.

Mirror boss, yeah I just had to keep moving about and got lucky a couple times.

Noticed they added a invincible mode(can only die by falling too far) and it doesn't void any achievements/ trophies or unlockables.

Might just use that when it's time to wrap everything up.
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 11:41:21 2,050 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    The rock trick works.

Mirror boss, yeah I just had to keep moving about and got lucky a couple times.

Noticed they added a invincible mode(can only die by falling too far) and it doesn't void any achievements/ trophies or unlockables.

Might just use that when it's time to wrap everything up.
    I couldnít make it work. Sad face.
  • Baihu1983 12 Feb 2021 11:52:49 13,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doing it like this?

https://youtu.be/LrGpIsRy2Qg

Or try this?

https://youtu.be/bNZJ2V042zs
  • paulboy81 12 Feb 2021 12:03:48 449 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they patched the Mold boss fight, you can't cheese it from behind that rock anymore I don't think. I've only ever done it the once mind so I can't confirm.

I'm playing through it all again on Series X so I can play the DLC finally, about to hit those boss fights actually so I guess I'll find out!
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 12:17:41 2,050 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Doing it like this?

https://youtu.be/LrGpIsRy2Qg

Or try this?

https://youtu.be/bNZJ2V042zs
    The first one, but I remember there being some kind of gas and/or ground attack that made it not safe to just stand on the ground behind that rock.
  • Red_Bool 12 Feb 2021 12:44:18 2,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    paulboy81 wrote:
    I think they patched the Mold boss fight, you can't cheese it from behind that rock anymore I don't think. I've only ever done it the once mind so I can't confirm.
    I can confirm. Beat it last week. After way too many attempts I looked for a hint. The 'behind the rock' trick does not work, but staying in that area allowed me to just defeat it.
  • Baihu1983 12 Feb 2021 13:11:45 13,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll level up some more before going to that fight then.
    Rock trick helped me in the original game but if its patched I'll have to improve this time.
  • barchetta 13 Feb 2021 11:35:26 3,174 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hmm. After a solid performance up to Mission 5, I've had 3 crashes to home screen on my XSX in the last few hours of play. Maybe I missed an update had been made that has caused issues or maybe the game gets more unstable the deeper you go? Playing in graphics mode atm. May try perf but it loses a lot of 'place' for me, as I tend to root about and enjoy the architecture.
  • Rodimus-Prime 13 Feb 2021 13:06:57 426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought i had finished the PS5 version of the game yesterday, when i got the Platinum trophy. Having done most of the side-missions and most of the stuff in the DLCs, i uninstalled it.

But i woke up this morning and realised that i want more Jesse Faden in my life, so it's reinstalling. I want to find every secret and finish every quest.

I just really, really love the game. I didn't know what this 'Ray Tracing' was going to bring to the table, but in a game that uses light sources in such interesting ways anyway, it did seem to bring a pretty big level of visual improvement. To me, anyway. I played in graphics mode.

Because of the way i specced Jessie, i didn't find the combat very challenging outside of the Mr Tomassi boss fight after i got to around the halfway point. Basically, i focused entirely on maxxing out the telekinetic throwing ability, and used whatever mods i could to get the cost of using it down while i built up Jesse's health and stamina.

Although it wasn't too difficult generally (some sections/bosses took me to the limit) i still really enjoyed the combat.

I think i enjoyed the lore more though. I probably spent more time reading about the Hiss and Objects of Power than actually fighting them.

It gets a 9/10 for me. Hopefully there will be a sequel at some point.
  • Phattso 13 Feb 2021 14:11:34 27,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    But i woke up this morning and realised that i want more Jesse Faden in my life, so it's reinstalling. I want to find every secret and finish every quest.
    When I finished it on PS4 last summer I had a similar experience. I'd fire up the game and just do some alerts and mooch about in the game world for a bit.

It's one of those rare moments when I feel sad for people that don't get on with the game or outright hated it. I'd like it if everyone loved it as much as I did. Because I want sequels. By the bucketload. :)
  • Baihu1983 13 Feb 2021 18:20:33 13,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's fun enough but I do think it's Remedys weakest game
  • richarddavies 13 Feb 2021 19:41:46 8,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im slowly playing my way through it (partway through mission 4 I think?) And its alright. Its has an alright shooting mechanic. Played plenty that do it better. All the power stuff is alright, but same again. Can't really comment much on the story and characters too much yet, but it's still complete bollocks so far.
    The setting is alright I suppose? (Grey building)

I don't think it's a bad game by any means, but when I strip it down I just see alot of "alright" parts. Not sure how it makes something as loved as it is.

Going to keep it up though, it might click for me.
  • richyroo 14 Feb 2021 01:09:46 559 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After about 4 to 5 hours in, I think I am shelving this.

I seem to spend more time opening up the menus and the map than actually playing the game. So many pointless collectibles in the game which don't add anything at all. I'm also constantly checking to see what that last upgrade I picked up does.

Every corridor looks the same which means I'm always getting lost and opening the map, unfortunately the map is terrible.

The final straw is when I did my first side mission which had me searching for barrels to chuck into a furnace. I can see where this is going... No thank you.
  • Baihu1983 14 Feb 2021 05:24:57 13,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't bother reading any collectible just in my 2nd attempt to play and I'm happy for cause I'm pretty sure I got an achievement for collecting over 150 files or something.

If I seen them I collect them quickly move on.

The map is just poor
  • JoeBlade 7 Apr 2021 21:55:59 6,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bought this (complete edition) a couple of days ago for PC and I've dipped in just now.

The default graphics settings look pretty enough on my old 1080 and it runs at somewhere between 90 and 100 FPS most of the time. Very nice and all but I'd rather crank up the details a bit more, as long as it doesn't dip below 60FPS too often.

So, does the frame rate tank significantly in places later on (e.g. once enemies start showing up or I start messing around with the powers)? Or can I safely kick the GFX up a notch?
    There doesn't appear to be a benchmark either or did I miss that completely?
  • dai_bonehead 7 Apr 2021 22:18:12 549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished this. Itís junk.
  • dai_bonehead 7 Apr 2021 22:18:12 549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Frogofdoom 7 Apr 2021 22:21:32 17,428 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well there's the discussion done with, let's close the thread.
  • JoeBlade 7 Apr 2021 22:27:47 6,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    But... but... my questions :(
  • ZuluHero 7 Apr 2021 22:29:34 10,095 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nope. Done.

Next thread.
  • richarddavies 7 Apr 2021 22:29:36 8,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dai_bonehead wrote:
    Finished this. Itís junk.
    I really tried to get into it. I put hours in, but I just found it so painfully generic it ended up in my abandoned pile. Few nice ideas in there, but the sameness of everything you did, bland levels and boring characters just put me off. And the story can fuck off as well.
  • dai_bonehead 8 Apr 2021 22:15:04 549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Well there's the discussion done with, let's close the thread.

I could expand but Iím using an iPhone and typing on this is a pain. And the game is so average it doesnít deserve the effort.
  • drhickman1983 12 Apr 2021 21:13:43 7,498 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, in rush contrast to esteemed user bonehead I think it's great. Honestly can't think of a recent game I've been enjoying as much. Slick, fun combat, great world building, exceptional voice acting. And I'm looking the story a lot.

It's far above average.

The anchor boss is a cunt though.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 21:14:15 12-04-2021
  • Hicksy 12 Apr 2021 22:18:30 2,669 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What is it with modern good games with p*ss poor maps, Jedi Fallen Orderís is terrible too! And devs PLEASE stop making maps feel like 3D simulation maps... if your game is struggling to engage me already adding a map that makes me feel like I am playing a simulation only increases the displacement of my mind from your game. Pay attention to the importance of a good but not disruptive map system to your games devs! Better yet structure your games and in game signposts so a map should be a fall back nicety rather than a routine necessity!

Edited by Hicksy at 22:19:24 12-04-2021
  • Baihu1983 13 Apr 2021 05:58:25 13,716 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the map is terrible and unusable for getting to certain points.
  • rockavitch 13 Apr 2021 06:38:01 1,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found the map unusable so just stopped using it and relied on the signs. Was a lot easier to manage then but I seem to remember reading the devs didn't want a map and it was a very late addition to the game, so explains why the signs were better.
  • drhickman1983 13 Apr 2021 08:16:48 7,498 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thematically I think the map works very well. I like the small element of office bureaucracy.

I use the map as a very rough guide and use the literal sign posts instead, and in finding it far more refreshing than having a constant explicit way point that nearly every other game relies on these days.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Apr 2021 08:20:10 18,913 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I loved the story and setting, but found the gameplay a bit unbalanced and ending up using the helpers to get through the later fights. I'd still rate it above average though.
  • AcidSnake 13 Apr 2021 08:29:59 8,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Only just got into this and really enjoying it.

I'd have gotten into it sooner if I knew it was basically SCP: The Game.

Some bosses are difficulty spikes when compared with the usual enemies but not impossible...
  • Trowel 13 Apr 2021 08:58:30 24,286 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I loved Control and platinumed it, plus finished both DLCs. The combat levels up pretty well with your progress, but I invested heavily into Launch early on and it made a big difference in the way I played and the enjoyment I took from it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.