Borderlands 3 Page 33

• DrStrangelove 28 Dec 2019 22:24:52 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, RNG's a bitch. My first and only Ion Cannon is x2 with +100% after ASE.
  • Flying_Pig 30 Dec 2019 11:40:49 16,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finally left Eden 6 \o/

Now back to Pandora
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2019 16:25:56 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ProJohn

The biggest performance killers iirc are Material Complexity and Volumetric Fog. I recommend getting some FPS counter software (I highly recommend MSI Afterburner, you'll see the FPS going up and down in real time while changing graphics settings in the menu. Very helpful.
  • Munster 30 Dec 2019 17:36:01 77 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ProJohn

Visit the Hardware Unboxed channel on Youtube. They have a settings guide for Borderlands 3 with two lots of suggested settings at the end for favouring quality or performance.
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2019 21:52:16 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • b-rk 31 Dec 2019 06:31:28 1,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    so uh...is this game coming to steam at some point?
  • DrStrangelove 31 Dec 2019 08:42:20 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Presumably the 6-months exclusivity expires in March. It's likely it will come to Steam then, although there is nothing official whatsoever.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Dec 2019 18:50:14 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've noticed that EG completely forgot about this game, inexplicably not giving it their GOTY, not mentioning it in games of the decade and not even in games of 2019. However I'm not sure I shouldn't be more surprised they didn't name Destiny as one of the games of 2019.

They really don't like Borderlands, do they? In the last podcast, one of them went so far as to claim that the loot shooter genre didn't exist before Destiny.

Now I get it that some people prefer BL2, I don't necessarily agree with them, but in a few aspects (mostly writing/humour) it's leagues above BL3. But even if you think BL2 was better, that still leaves BL3 as undisputably the best game in 7 years.

Some will always say this game or that was better, but they're just being silly fanboys.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Dec 2019 18:54:27 9,333 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DrStrangelove EG gave BL2 a 9/10 on release, but since then they've really soured on the franchise. I think it gets tainted slightly by its association with arch-arsehole Pitchford, but EG's recent dislike of it goes further than that. I think its slightly sharp-edged humour grates against their Brighton-hipster instincts a bit. Plus the fact that BL3 is more of a traditional buy-to-own game (albeit with DLC) rather than a live-service game like Destiny means that it isn't as good for as many easy front-page news stories.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Dec 2019 19:14:42 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I think its slightly sharp-edged humour grates against their Brighton-hipster instincts a bit.
    Yeah definitely. However I'd still say that while BL2 humour might have been sharp-edged, BL3's is a very blunt edge.

But I always found it funny how EG applies standards. I don't recall them criticising Witcher 3 for machismo and white-race purity, and for an outlet that values storytelling so much over dumb action, it's certainly interesting how they criticised Mass Effect 1 for being too much talking early on and praised ME2 for being all explosions right away. The latest piece on that topic even made a point about how that's appealing to a Star Trek fan, because the ship being blown up is what makes Star Trek great, right?

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:19:11 31-12-2019
  • DrStrangelove 31 Dec 2019 19:37:56 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Meanwhile, Gearbox don't exactly make a reputation of getting their shit together. They announced weeks ago that the Takedown would scale to party size for two weeks.

Due to technical issues, today's event, which would scale the difficulty of "Takedown at the Maliwan Blacksite" to number of players, is being postponed to a future date. We will share more information here when we're able. Thank you for your patience.
  • DrStrangelove 24 Jan 2020 23:31:28 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The fun just doesn't stop. I've long reached the point where mayhem 4 is easier than your first normal playthrough. But there's the challenges and the slaughters etc. and the Takedown and it's so much fun trying new builds and shit. Currently the Maliwan Takedown scales to party size, actually I can't wait for it to return to its regular 4-player scale to add more challenge.

This is exactly what I wanted, a game like BL2 that never gets old, only even better. Also there's only one DLC campaign out so far, can't wait for the next three.
  • ChiefGB 28 Jan 2020 23:12:19 12,719 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How is the dlc? Iíve not been back for a while, still stuck on Eden 6
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jan 2020 23:22:13 9,333 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @ChiefGB DLC is ok. It's not spectacular. Don't expect another Dragon Keep. But it's 5-6 hours or so of reasonably solid Borderlands.

One big thing is that it brings back the Hyperion robots from BL2. What that means is that corrosive weapons suddenly got a lot more relevant (not much point to them in base BL3). Indeed, the new class mods, relics and weapons have quite a lot of corrosive stuff spread around them.

In story terms, it lives in the shadow of Handsome Jack. Wisely, they don't bring him back from the dead. I don't think the current BL team are up to writing more "proper" Handsome Jack. Rather, you get a bunch of messages from him recorded, presumably, somewhere between the pre-sequel and BL2 and you get to meet a pre-sequel player-character with a... strong connection to Jack. So you get some arsehole-era Jack from before the final third of BL2 made him more complex. And you get a lot of characters who are still living in his shadow seven years after his death. That feels like a pretty good metaphor for Gearbox right now.

In gameplay terms... it's fine. They wisely jettison any vehicle combat - the DLC is 100% on foot. There are a good few large and complex areas to explore, some sidequests and some new collectables. It'll all feel very familiar stuff, but if you want more of the same with a new story, that's no bad thing.
  • hedben2013 8 Feb 2020 10:44:08 1,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would like to thank Borderlands 3 for being the only game installed on my Xbox that can be played without an internet connection. I'm sorry I abandoned you several months ago because the Katagawa Ball was too hard, I've bested it now and all is forgiven.

In related news, I've been without internet since yesterday and I'm really realising how much my gaming depends on it. First instinct was "well I can't do online multiplayer so maybe it's finally time to complete Outer Wilds!". Nope, Game Pass, needs to connect to confirm the subscription.
  • Huggybear 8 Feb 2020 11:49:13 1,745 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    I would like to thank Borderlands 3 for being the only game installed on my Xbox that can be played without an internet connection. I'm sorry I abandoned you several months ago because the Katagawa Ball was too hard, I've bested it now and all is forgiven.

In related news, I've been without internet since yesterday and I'm really realising how much my gaming depends on it. First instinct was "well I can't do online multiplayer so maybe it's finally time to complete Outer Wilds!". Nope, Game Pass, needs to connect to confirm the subscription.
    Worth noting that the balance is quite different offline, because a lot of the patches are server-side. For example they removed a lot of the easiest early loot farming methods, but you can still enjoy them if you just go offline.
  • DrStrangelove 8 Feb 2020 12:23:38 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah the online hotfixes change a lot of things. Some things are nerfed (I think the Cutsman was reduced to 75% damage, although it still wrecks bosses), but other things are buffed with hotfixes, like sniper rifles.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Feb 2020 13:16:03 9,333 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But if it's the only game you can play offline, none of that's going to matter... :)

Grab a Flakker and go wild.
  • hedben2013 8 Feb 2020 15:01:46 1,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have no Flakker, lv21 and just got my first proper legendary from the Katagawa Ball (Tsunami, seems pretty decent). Also my internet's fixed now, but maybe this was the bump I needed to add BL3 to the gaming rotation again...
  • Deleted user 8 February 2020 17:26:33
    Out of interest did you turn on your Xbox in the last month (before the internet went down)?

I only ask as I believe it only need to call home every so often for gamepass content. Certainly not every day.
  • hedben2013 8 Feb 2020 22:46:51 1,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing It was on yesterday morning and working fine- but there's every chance I haven't tried to access any Game Pass games in a month or so. I'm mostly just Rockstar's bitch these days (GTA and RDR Online)
  • DrStrangelove 11 Feb 2020 22:51:55 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On Thursday, the next event starts (Valentine's Day), lasting for a week and it's ...togglable? Rewards are a few cosmetic items, a legendary SMG and a legendary sniper.

More importantly, level cap will be raised to 53 (that's one point short of 2 capstone skills, mind).

edit:

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-02-11-broken-hearts-day-event/

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-02-11-borderlands-3-community-love-letter/

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:54:53 11-02-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Feb 2020 23:13:32 9,333 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mostly play Moze these days. I've got a pretty good idea of where I could use an extra 3 skill points there.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Feb 2020 01:53:11 15,237 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For my current Amara 3 points is actually huge news, in my head I always begged for 3 more points. Major build change incoming.

Not quite as happy about hundreds of legendaries with great anointments becoming underlevelled now though
  • crashVoodoo 12 Feb 2020 07:59:06 6,760 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Played the handsome jackpot on my lvl30 flynt. Got to the mission where I had to get tools from embers ship. Did the first bit but the generic next character then sent me on another fetch quest before he'd give me access to it.

There are no save points along this whole route so you have to run the whole thing over of you die. Turned it off.
  • gamecat 13 Feb 2020 20:29:30 995 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Skippable cutscenes now live! (and event and lvl cap etc etc)

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/borderlands-3-february-patch-hotfix-02-13-2020/4389770/6

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.