Following New Game Pass additions Page 10

• Spectral 4 Jul 2019 10:53:05 6,282 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    It would be good to know how long MS intends to support the older platforms though. Sure the Scarlett is supposed to be fully BC, and I have no doubt the launch games (and a little beyond too) will work on both platforms.

But at some point, they will have to drop S support. And eventually, X support too (though I doubt there will be games that only work on X and not on S). The question is when.
    Tbh I don't imagine any Scarlet game will work on any XBone. Just that all XBone games will work on Scarlet. I imagine XBone releases will slowly fade out the same as at any generation change.

Edited by Spectral at 10:54:46 04-07-2019
  • ChiefGB 4 Jul 2019 12:07:36 11,330 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It seems like they are aping pc migration in so much as the more powerful, the more bells and whistles. It will just get to a point where it runs so poorly that people will feel they have to migrate. That said that runs into issues with closed systems whereby consumers will complain that games donít work as intended.

TLDR; I have no idea 🤣🤣
  • Phattso 4 Jul 2019 13:19:50 24,819 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If the experiences on Scarlet/PS5 actually work on the XBOne/PS4 gen hardware - just with reduced visuals - then that would be really sad.

I know there are going to be cross-gen games as we've seen in the last transition (like Halol for example) but really... aren't we all looking for new experiences rather than just shinier graphics?

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Jul 2019 13:27:42 14,694 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn't this effectively a PC situation then?Essentially each console corresponding to a graphics setting. It's not really a massive issue in that area.
  • Phattso 4 Jul 2019 13:33:22 24,819 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not at all. There are PC games that are unplayable on old CPUs because they do too much interesting stuff. The Ass Creed games are famous for it, for example. Actually most of the Ubi stuff.

Will it physically execute? Sure. Is it playable? Often not, on shitty hardware.

So yeah - I'm not talking about "will it physically execute" on the old hardware, I'm talking about experiences that are just not feasible on it. Proper AI. Lots more complex interactions in a world. Shit we haven't even dreamed of yet. That sorta thing.

Rather than just shiny versions of the same stuff.
  • Phattso 4 Jul 2019 13:35:56 24,819 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    An example from this gen of consoles at transition was that Lord of the Rings Shadow of Mordor thing. The most interesting and new element of that game was the Nemesis system - they couldn't make it work on the old systems, so their version just had it stripped out and left behind a so-so action adventure game.

Probably not the best example, but the only one that springs to mind. It hasn't been the most innovative of generations thanks to the weak-as-piss CPUs in them.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Jul 2019 13:49:26 14,694 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well something like Metro Exodus, is it a pc game or console game first? The xbox one would just be considered the lower than low spec. I don't think it will have that massive of an impact personally, but like you say we'll have to wait and see.
  • ChiefGB 4 Jul 2019 14:04:01 11,330 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím all for new experiences as most of gaming feels a little tired at the moment, thing is I donít think thereís anyone really pushing the envelope. Games are getting so expensive and the main powerhouses have gotten so greedy that they just want to make all the money.
  • hedben2013 4 Jul 2019 14:34:04 1,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    ...experiences that are just not feasible on it. Proper AI. Lots more complex interactions in a world. Shit we haven't even dreamed of yet. That sorta thing.

NEXT-GEN GAMING

...is how gaming press referred to this generation before it started, but I don't feel like we ever really got there in terms of gameplay/world innovations, so I'm approaching the next gen with a bit more skepticism
  • Phattso 4 Jul 2019 15:00:18 24,819 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Well something like Metro Exodus, is it a pc game or console game first? The xbox one would just be considered the lower than low spec. I don't think it will have that massive of an impact personally, but like you say we'll have to wait and see.
    That's a great example that demonstrates the point I'm making. It's good, but it's "just" another shooter. So yes - you can have a good looking version of a shooter, and a blurry shitty Switch version of a shooter. But it's still just a shooter.

Fair enough if you're just looking for more accomplished and visually appealing versions of what we've had, but I'm in my 40s now and I've seen that cycle once too often. Give me something I couldn't play before, or GTFO. :)
  • Phattso 4 Jul 2019 15:00:32 24,819 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    ...experiences that are just not feasible on it. Proper AI. Lots more complex interactions in a world. Shit we haven't even dreamed of yet. That sorta thing.

NEXT-GEN GAMING

...is how gaming press referred to this generation before it started, but I don't feel like we ever really got there in terms of gameplay/world innovations, so I'm approaching the next gen with a bit more skepticism
    Indeed! That's it exactly. :)
  • Juz 4 Jul 2019 23:04:34 3,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shadow of War can be downloaded but not played atm. Keeps thinking that I need to insert the disk.

Known issue and MS are on it..thought it was just cos I downloaded the texture/cinematic 4K addons.
  • ChiefGB 5 Jul 2019 10:11:24 11,330 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You arenít missing much, I bought it ages ago but it hasnít ever got its claws into me.
  • Juz 5 Jul 2019 11:46:59 3,326 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    You arenít missing much, I bought it ages ago but it hasnít ever got its claws into me.
    It's working now.

I'd already played it and finished on Pro last year, but I fancied another playthrough on the X with it's much snazzier textures.

I enjoy dipping in and out of the Middle Earth games.

EDIT: As an aside - has Eververse been mentioned on here yet? I'm surprisingly enjoying it - like an Elite Dangerous Ultra Lite.

Edited by Juz at 11:47:54 05-07-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Jul 2019 18:54:27 3,598 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut is on gamepass on launch August 27
  • BeebleB 11 Jul 2019 23:23:35 1,312 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blazing chrome is fantastic..plays like megadrive era contra 3, complete with cheesy rock synth soundtrack.
  • robthehermit 12 Jul 2019 11:53:54 7,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Timespinner can be downloaded to Xbone if you have Game Pass for PC or Ultimate. It doesn't appear in the Xbone Game Pass section, but if you search for it in the store you should be good to go. It's also a Play Anywhere title.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jul 2019 12:13:40 11,330 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah cool, thanks for tip
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Jul 2019 12:57:09 3,598 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really like timespinner, on normal I died about 5 times against the 1st boss but got better at fighting it each time. Its mega man meets metroidvania

Wizard of Legend is also available to downloaded to Xbox if you have Game Pass for PC or Ultimate, going to see if its worth playing
  • FatSternKikwi 15 Jul 2019 19:44:24 1,703 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can you still upgrade your xbox live gold to ultimate for £1 ?

If not any cheap ways to get a bunch?
  • robthehermit 16 Jul 2019 17:45:08 7,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @FatSternKikwi

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/CFQ7TTC0KHS0/0007?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Don't forget to top up your gold sub first (upto a maximum 36 months combined Game Pass and Gold, anymore is wasted).
  • Malek86 16 Jul 2019 18:05:41 8,741 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moar games coming this month.

https://majornelson.com/2019/07/16/coming-soon-to-xbox-game-pass-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-resident-evil-4-and-more/

RE4, MGS5, Banner Saga 3... some goodness in there.

Maybe I'll take the chance to play through RE4 again. I've been stuck to the PS2 version for ages now.
  • Derblington 16 Jul 2019 19:04:03 31,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For the King has been in there for a while...?
  • AaronTurner 16 Jul 2019 19:19:34 11,104 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh brilliant, was going to buy re4 again!
  • hedben2013 16 Jul 2019 22:35:19 1,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What're ye buyin'?
  • TechnoHippy 17 Jul 2019 10:57:19 15,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    For the King has been in there for a while...?
    I think that was for Xbox only, it's being added for PC now as well.
  • General_Martok 17 Jul 2019 11:15:07 823 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't even finished Inside yet!

By the way Inside is excellent!
  • welshben1982 20 Jul 2019 13:25:42 1,302 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has Night Call been released on the Xbox One? I really can't find it.
  • Darth_Flibble 20 Jul 2019 17:11:26 3,598 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If anyone likes old style point and click adventures, Silence is pretty decent

welshben1982 wrote:
    Has Night Call been released on the Xbox One? I really can't find it.
    Seems to be only a PC release, rather play it on xbox
  • tenofspades 22 Jul 2019 11:46:49 1,774 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    noticed they sneakily add things, they've now added Worms WMD on there it seems.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.