Following New Game Pass additions Page 16

• waggy79 22 Sep 2019 22:17:12 2,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm feeling bloodstained is 'ok' personally. After coming from Dead Cells where the movement is buttery smooth and pixel art sublime this feels like theres a slight delay in what i ask of it. I guess it is in keeping with the series but SotN felt more responsive to me.
  • Sharz 22 Sep 2019 22:31:44 1,909 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was considering buying bloodstained not that long ago, but with so much on gamepass i didnt in the end. Glad i held off as i must say it really isnt for me.

Just as i was getting into the game and exploring that galleon the game chucked me into a boss fight. I was low on health and simply not ready as i had just equipped a weapon that didnt work for me. So i died pretty much straight away.

It then put me back to before i picked up loads of stuff as my last save was before i did the exploring. Anyway if the whole game is like this where it encourages and punishes you it probably isnt my game. But that is why gamepass is great you can try out so many different games without spending any more.
  • Malek86 22 Sep 2019 22:56:04 8,926 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are several things that bother me about Bloodstained.

The art style is generic, Unity-style 3D. I've seen it a million times, and only Miriam looks non-generic. The animations don't help. On a side note, the writing is real bad.

Map design ranges from okay to irritating. Platforms are spread around with no real consideration of whether it makes sense or not, too many routes are one-way. There's nothing of the organic feel of SotN or CotM. Miriam also walks too slowly given the map size, which further exacerbates the issue.

Combat isn't so fun either, the slight command delay and overall sluggishness hurt a lot. Hit detection is unclear and sometimes outright buggy. Recovery is too slow.

Finally, a lot of small choices that don't make any sense: food and recipes are sold by two different vendors in separate rooms, quests must be accepted one at a time by speaking to NPCs multiple times, too many elements to keep track of, crafting in general looks throwaway. And a number of technical issues too, like being unable to map certain keys, some graphical options don't seem to do anything at all, and so on.

The soundtrack is pretty nice, but that's the only real good thing I can say about the game so far. Everything else is mediocre or okay at best, and I'd usually expect more from Iga.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:56:20 22-09-2019
  • Malek86 23 Sep 2019 09:15:38 8,926 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dropped Bloodstained, started Dead Cells.

Well. This is a night and day difference. Sure they are different genres, but so many of the elements in DC could teach several metroidvanias a lesson or two. Smooth combat, blazing fast platforming, teleporters everywhere to minimize the need for backtracking, minimalistic UI, and it looks good too... now here's a 2D game done right.
  • kostasfil 23 Sep 2019 10:05:30 43 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've started Bloodstained and i cannot complain about it. I was going to buy it and gamepass saved me from the money. So far i enjoy it.
    I did experience a strange bug, where the game just exited to the xbox menu, when i tried to check a bookshelf, but other than that, it runs wonderfully.
    I'm enjoying it so far and i definitely want to see the end of it.
    And i'm waiting for Dirt 2. And playing Gears 5 online matches.
    Too much of a value for my 12,99Ä per month.
  • FatSternKikwi 23 Sep 2019 10:07:57 1,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Having enjoyed the hell out of ps4 for the last 4 years, I now find it collecting dust as I play my xbox almost exclusively thanks to gamepass. Donít even bother looking at ps+ half the time anymore. I really wonder if Sony will ever actually try and compete.
  • Farley2k 23 Sep 2019 18:09:05 206 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Judging from sales numbers I don't think Sony feels a big pressure to compete.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 23 Sep 2019 18:14:21 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Sounds like solid complacency.
  • FatSternKikwi 23 Sep 2019 18:30:37 1,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It wonít matter for the ps4 sure but next gen? Sony need to watch out or theyíll have a repeat of the ps3/360.
  • Derblington 23 Sep 2019 18:37:08 31,987 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I donít think itís as easy as that anymore, now that games will work across gen and stuff like trophies are so much bigger.
    It was a ball ache to switch last gen, I doubt many are looking to have to do so again, and while GamePass is great itís not enough.
  • nickthegun 23 Sep 2019 18:41:35 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The game pass on the PC has made me think twice about getting a ps5. If I got an Xbox, I don't think I'd buy a game again.
  • Ror 23 Sep 2019 18:59:31 18,894 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It certainly makes the switch to a new gen more appealing. At the launch of the Xbox One I paid full price for the likes of Ryse and Dead Rising 3 like some day one chump. This time, all I need to buy is the machine.
  • Malek86 23 Sep 2019 19:07:53 8,926 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My current Ultimate subscription expires at the end of December, but if I can still take advantage of that 3-years deal by then, I'm definitely getting a next Xbox over the PS5. I mean, I'd get free games until 2023 for just 150 euro or so. That's a no brainer.
  • Malek86 26 Sep 2019 17:04:22 8,926 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A new video containing some indie games that will be arriving on the service in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3f7Npv9R0M
  • Malek86 27 Sep 2019 13:56:34 8,926 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ouch, I was a sliver of health away from killing the last boss in Dead Cells. This kind of stuff is discouraging to say the least.
  • ChocNut 28 Sep 2019 18:36:33 2,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    A new video containing some indie games that will be arriving on the service in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3f7Npv9R0M
    Oooh I was *this* close to buying yooka laylee :) Cheers
  • TechnoHippy 29 Sep 2019 13:46:33 15,436 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finally managed to reach the throne room in Dead Cells and then got mullared by the hand :-(
  • Malek86 29 Sep 2019 14:27:14 8,926 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Finally managed to reach the throne room in Dead Cells and then got mullared by the hand :-(
    Happened to me too. What I did for the next run was to simply focus on Brutality upgrades. By the time I got to the boss, I had a Broadsword VII+ and something like 15-3-4 for brutality, and each critical hit took away like 5% of his health. He didn't last too long.

At least for the main story, there's a distinct importance bias toward damage rather than other tactics. Even having more health is not as critical as making sure enemies die in a whiz. Not sure about the post-story content.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:30:12 29-09-2019
  • Frogofdoom 29 Sep 2019 14:54:59 14,245 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Green builds are some of the best ones in the game!
  • TechnoHippy 29 Sep 2019 17:28:26 15,436 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's annoying, because I enjoy playing the game, but it takes an hour or more to get to the same point each time.
  • nickthegun 29 Sep 2019 18:39:04 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PSA: For anyone who gave up on Mutant: Year Zero after the first couple of areas: you were playing it wrong.

I was seconds away from uninstalling it and the penny finally dropped that it's not xcom, because it's literally impossible to play it like that.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 29 Sep 2019 18:40:18 8,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait, people gave up on MYZ? I loved that game!
  • its-H1ggyLTD 29 Sep 2019 18:45:33 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    So how should i play it?
  • nickthegun 29 Sep 2019 19:01:37 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's a stealth shooter. The aim of the game is to kill every enemy silently.

You get three silent weapons early on, you have to max them and your critical hit skills as quickly as possible and start picking off stragglers and enemies on patrol.

Basically, if you can't kill an enemy in one silent volley or disable it for a few turns, avoid it until you can.

It's the scummiest of save scum games. If you miss a crit and the enemy survives an ambush, you may as well reload as it alerts the whole fucking map and you can't survive a mob ever.

Which is why you can't play it like xcom. If you actually end up in open battle, you're completely fucked and because the game doesn't explain that, it seems impossible by the third area.

Edited by nickthegun at 19:19:22 29-09-2019
  • its-H1ggyLTD 29 Sep 2019 19:10:22 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Noted.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 29 Sep 2019 19:31:02 8,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was a trick to that which made picking off stragglers very easy but I forget what it is now. If memory serves you can knock them down with the warthogs ability - make it the first thing you do - then you can just wail on them until they die. There may have been more to it than that but my memory sucks.

Also fuck the duck off as soon as you can.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 19:32:19 29-09-2019
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Sep 2019 19:36:16 754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    There was a trick to that which made picking off stragglers very easy but I forget what it is now. If memory serves you can knock them down with the warthogs ability - make it the first thing you do - then you can just wail on them until they die. There may have been more to it than that but my memory sucks.

Also fuck the duck off as soon as you can.
    nah, his flying thing is well useful
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Sep 2019 19:37:47 754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd agree you have to play it differently to x-com if only because I'm rubbish at X-com and pretty good at this.
    Also, I loved the cockney fox
  • nickthegun 29 Sep 2019 19:41:23 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The duck seems pretty good. His skills make him a good sniper with good critical hit bonuses. When you get the high ground bonus you can crit with almost every shot.

Dunno what thats worth towards the end, but I'm a reasonable chunk through and still think he's useful.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 29 Sep 2019 19:48:17 8,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found the demon girl far better than him for that. Also the last person you meet is pretty awesome too because of one of their abilities.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.