Disney+

First Previous
  • beastmaster 12 Apr 2019 06:29:34 19,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Couldn’t find a thread on this.

Disney+ will launch on Nov. 12 and you can pay $6.99/month or $69.99/year. The Scarlet Witch-Vision series will be called WandaVision & the first episode of animated series WHAT IF will ask, what if Peggy Carter had taken the super soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers?

They’ve also got The Mandalorian and a Hawkeye TV show that are confirmed.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Apr 2019 06:43:33 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wonder if this will replace DisneyLife.
  • beastmaster 12 Apr 2019 07:13:24 19,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can also add to the list.

Loki
    Bucky and Falcon
    Cassian Andor (From Rogue One)

They are all using the original cast members. Even in the animated WHAT IF series, the original actors are doing the voices.

Disney is spending a fuckton of money on this. Each episode of The Mandalorian cost $10 million to make.
  • Flying_Pig 12 Apr 2019 07:36:03 16,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't see myself paying for this as well as Netflix, but if the Star Wars stuff is good, then who knows..?
  • cowell 12 Apr 2019 08:40:09 2,041 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Strong content out of the traps, but honestly curious to see how many people are keen to saddle themselves with another subscription.

I can’t keep up with what’s on Netflix and Amazon Prime
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Apr 2019 09:05:25 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If the Star Wars stuff is good it'll be difficult not to subscribe for me.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Apr 2019 09:12:09 8,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I already pay for Disney Life and Netflix because kids. If this replaced Disney Life then fine I guess?
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 09:15:21 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's pretty impressive that, as a fully paid up nerd, not a single thing they have announced is remotely interesting to me.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Apr 2019 09:18:16 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't most people jump between subscriptions these days, a couple of months on Netflix, cancel for a few months and then jump back on later on. I can't imagine having permanent monthly subs.
  • Ddanno 12 Apr 2019 09:21:59 1,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Total subscription fatigue here. Netflix, PSN, WoW and a couple patreon subs - not counting using a friend's Prime to watch the occasional decent show that has - is already too much.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 09:27:23 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nah, Netflix is just another TV channel now.
  • Derblington 12 Apr 2019 09:29:13 32,137 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I sub to Netflix and HBO (and, outside of TV stuff, Spotify and PSN).
    I can see myself doing this too, providing I'm getting all the Disney, etc, movies too.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 09:29:45 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And, yeah, I took a sub audit not long ago and it's getting ridiculous. I'm now at the point where I'm more likely to cancel thanks to their sheer volume than take another out.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Apr 2019 09:32:18 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Netflix
    Prime
    NowTV movies
    Spotify

Think that's it. I tend to cancel NowTV pretty frequently but the others I think I'll always keep. If the Disney stuff is decent and it's only 6 quid a month or whatever I won't have a problem with getting it. It's 6 quid.
  • DJCopa 12 Apr 2019 09:34:59 2,032 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This looks good - Just edges me closer to binning the Virgin package, and just having Internet with Freeview, Netflix, Prime and this.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 09:41:27 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I do tell a lie, having 30 seasons of The Simpsons on tap would be nice.
  • Flying_Pig 12 Apr 2019 09:47:29 16,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    This looks good - Just edges me closer to binning the Virgin package, and just having Internet with Freeview, Netflix, Prime and this.
    That's pretty much what I have. Freeview TV, plus Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spotify for music.

My kids only really watch Netflix and YouTube anyway.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Apr 2019 09:49:47 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Netflix
    Prime
    NowTV Entertainment &movies
    Disney Life
    crunchyroll
    funimation
    xbox gamepass
    and probably some i have forgotten about.

Prime is probably the one i watch the least, as it is a mess to get through.

I cancelled spotify to do a free amazon unlimited trial but will go back to spoitfy once it is over i think.
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2019 09:53:01 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Don't most people jump between subscriptions these days, a couple of months on Netflix, cancel for a few months and then jump back on later on. I can't imagine having permanent monthly subs.
    Nope. Continual subs to Netflix, Amazon and NowTV Entertainment and Movies. Between me, my wife and the kids we use all of them a lot for different types of content. Amazon probably the least used by me aside from the odd series but my eldest watches it constantly.
  • DJCopa 12 Apr 2019 09:58:00 2,032 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Flying_Pig

That is my dream!

Having Irish In-Laws means we need a landline, so Virgin seems best...Tried WhatsApp, but it's not been great :(
  • rice_sandwich 12 Apr 2019 10:01:48 5,837 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dougs

Fair enough. I tend to get netflix for a month, watch what I want then leave it for 6 months. I'm probably not a typical user as I don't watch a lot of TV and still rent/buy DVDs and blu rays as many back catalogue films or minor films are not yet available via streaming.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Apr 2019 10:04:16 14,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Netflix has too much good stuff to bother with cancelling it. I have several series ready to watch that I haven't got to yet.
  • Derblington 12 Apr 2019 10:06:14 32,137 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't have regular TV (most of it is shit anyway/in Swedish).

My subs to Netflix and HBO mean that when I sit down to watch anything it's something I want to watch. If I just need something to fill a small gap somewhere I'll browse YT. I don't just get "caught up with something in the background because it's on" like is often the case with tv, so I don't mind having subs.
  • wobbly_Bob 12 Apr 2019 10:07:56 5,144 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll probably sub to Disney from time to time to watch the stuff that interests me which is what I do with Amazon prime video. I can see a lot of people doing that. Because they are so late in the game and everybody already subs to other established stuff I can't see most people subbing to it on a continuous basis.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 10:08:22 12-04-2019
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 10:12:14 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I order enough stuff from Amazon for prime to be worth it just for that. If I was just in it for the TV/Films, almost certainly not.

However, if I were still a stoned student, it probably would be. I don't know how far anyone has been arsed to drill down through the strata of their film offerings but there are fucking *tons* of B, C and D movie schlock. Like more than you could watch in a lifetime.
  • beastmaster 12 Apr 2019 10:18:32 19,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This explains it nicely.

Link

Here's the crux of it.

"Disney Plus will include content from the Disney brand itself, Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars and National Geographic. In fact, it's organizing the service's app by those exact categories. Generally speaking, Disney plans to make Disney Plus the catch-all for its family-friendly content, while Hulu -- which Disney controls after its takeover of 21st Century Fox -- will be its subscription for edgier, more adult-oriented fare.

Disney Plus will be the only place you can stream all of Disney's theatrically released movies starting with Captain Marvel and the rest of its 2019 slate. It will also house the "entire Disney motion picture library," according to Iger, including all the classic animated movies in what the company calls the Disney vault. And of course, the company is developing a slate of original, exclusive shows and movies for the service.

Original exclusives include a Star Wars prequel series based on Rogue One and starring Diego Luna, who played Cassian Andor in the original movie. Disney also confirmed the service is developing a live-action Marvel series focused on Loki, a character from the Avengers, which will star Tom Hiddleston reprising the role.

Disney Plus will have original behind-the-scenes documentaries, too. The company also has started to make deals for original programming that doesn't already fall into one of its established brands. In January, Disney Plus ordered a 10-episode series called Diary of a Female President. The show follows a 12-year-old Cuban-American girl and the highs and lows of her middle-school life en route to becoming the US commander in chief.

Out of the vast library of Disney's past catalog, Disney Plus is supposed to offer "thousands of hours" of content, but we don't know yet exactly what could be excluded.

Even though all of Disney's movies will stream exclusively on Disney Plus, the company doesn't plan to debut any of its big-budget motion pictures on the service. Unlike Netflix's so-called day-and-date approach, which releases most of its films on big screens and on its streaming service at the same time, Disney plans for its tentpole movies, like those in its Star Wars franchise, to run their course in theaters before making them available with a digital subscription.

We do know the service will include shows and movies such as:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars new season (exclusive to this service).
    Marvel movies, starting with 2019's Captain Marvel.
    Star Wars films, starting with 2019's Episode 9.
    Pixar films, starting with 2019's Toy Story 4.
    A live-action, big-budget Star Wars TV series called The Mandalorian, being developed by Jon Favreau.
    A Star Wars Rogue One prequel TV series, starring Diego Luna.
    A live-action Marvel series focused on Avengers character Loki, starring Tom Hiddleston.
    A Marvel series featuring Scarlet Witch, played by Elizabeth Olsen
    A Marvel limited series focused on Hawkeye, featuring Jeremy Renner
    Possible Marvel series that would team up Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) and Sam Wilson, aka Falcon (Anthony Mackie), according to Slashfilm.
    A possible What If-themed Marvel series that would imagine what the Marvel Cinematic Universe would look like if different events took place. According to a Slashfilm report, the series would be overseen by MCU head Kevin Feige and would be an animated anthology show. An episode example would reportedly feature how the Marvel timeline would unfold if Loki found Thor's hammer.
    Marvel's Hero Project, a documentary series featuring the positive changes several young people are making in their own communities.
    Marvel's 616 (working title), a documentary series exploring the intersection between Marvel's stories and the real world.
    An animated series spinoff of Pixar's Monsters, Inc called Monsters at Work.
    A series adapted from Disney movie Escape to Witch Mountain
    A 10-episode series, Diary of a Female President, about a 12-year-old Cuban-American girl.
    A documentary about Walt Disney Imagineering.
    A Timmy Failure film directed by Spotlight's Tom McCarthy.
    A live-action Lady and the Tramp remake.
    A Sword in the Stone remake.
    Noelle, a movie starring Anna Kendrick.
    Togo, a sled dog movie starring Willem Dafoe.
    A Three Men and a Baby remake.
    The Paper Magician film.
    A Stargirl film.
    A High School Musical series.
    Encore!, a reality show that reunites former castmates of a high school musical to re-creating their original performances of productions like The Sound of Music, Beauty and the Beast and Annie.
    A possible Muppets series.
    Earthkeepers (working title), a cinematic documentary series the animal kingdom and people working to protect endangered species.
    Be Our Guest, a Disney-inspired cooking competition at Walt Disney World.
    Cinema Relics: Iconic Art of the Movies (working title), an eight-episode series revisiting beloved films through their props and costumes. Films featured include Tron, Mary Poppins, The Muppet Movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
    (Re)Connect, a reality program that explores divisions in individual families and their journeys with a specialized expert to confront their dilemmas.
    Rogue Trip, a travel guide to misunderstood and overlooked corners of the world. "
  • senso-ji 12 Apr 2019 10:19:38 9,928 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I do tell a lie, having 30 seasons of The Simpsons on tap would be nice.
    Less than half of those are actually worth watching.

Hopefully Disney will get the Seth MacFarlane stuff as well.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Apr 2019 10:20:47 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I order enough stuff from Amazon for prime to be worth it just for that. If I was just in it for the TV/Films, almost certainly not.

However, if I were still a stoned student, it probably would be. I don't know how far anyone has been arsed to drill down through the strata of their film offerings but there are fucking *tons* of B, C and D movie schlock. Like more than you could watch in a lifetime.
    Some of their TV Shows are pretty good. Sneaky Pete is very good, and I'm watching Hanna at the moment which isn't bad.
  • DJCopa 12 Apr 2019 10:29:56 2,032 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "A Three Men and a Baby remake."

SUBSCRIBES.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 10:30:19 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In the battle for limited time, I'm more into what Netflix dumps out. If it hasn't got a wizard or a spaceship in it, I'm out.

Also, there's a Netflix app on the sky box. If I want to watch prime, that a whole other remote control, so fuck that.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.