Disney+ Page 39

• nickthegun 11 Aug 2020 14:20:28 82,982 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On a side note, I think Laserdisc is my favourite format of anything.
  • Khanivor 11 Aug 2020 14:23:11 44,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    My boi is a huge alien/s fan and he has a similar format collection. Dunno if you are still collecting but the laserdiscs arent silly money. I think its like 10-15 quid a pop for the first two.
    I think I still have a blu ray of it. Not sure I even have the facehugger box as Iíve moved a lot over the years

Iíll say this: when I torrented Aliens for my Plex the other week in preparation for showing my daughter the movie so she gets the origin of half of daddyís quips I have never pirated something with such an absence of guilt in my life.

Edited by Khanivor at 14:23:25 11-08-2020
  • anephric 11 Aug 2020 15:38:00 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TO THIS DAY I resent the £100 I dropped on the green smearfest that was the Aliens CAV laserdisc.
  • beastmaster 25 Aug 2020 10:11:30 21,223 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got a mail from Disney. They're charging £19.99 for Mulan. They've bough it in cheaper to make people go "Ohhh".

/Goes "Ohhh"

Edited by beastmaster at 10:11:49 25-08-2020
  • IronGiant 26 Aug 2020 23:52:41 6,131 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    20 quid to watch the live action Mulan at home.. anyone biting at that? I definitely wonít at that price.
  • Graxlar_v3 27 Aug 2020 09:58:08 10,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    20 quid to watch the live action Mulan at home.. anyone biting at that? I definitely wonít at that price.
    I am very inclined too right now.
  • kentmonkey 27 Aug 2020 10:46:42 23,745 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    No. For me it's still ridiculous pricing.

If I owned a film for that price (without having to keep a subscription going) then maybe. But a huge, font size 74, maybe. It would have to be a film I knew I'd love though and both wanted to see on release, and was happy to own.

Otherwise that pricing can get to fuck. I don't want to support that model.

But as I've said before, I am not the target audience for this.
  • Red_Bool 27 Aug 2020 12:40:40 2,053 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    IronGiant wrote:
    No. For me it's still ridiculous pricing.

If I owned a film for that price (without having to keep a subscription going) then maybe. But a huge, font size 74, maybe. It would have to be a film I knew I'd love though and both wanted to see on release, and was happy to own.

Otherwise that pricing can get to fuck. I don't want to support that model.

But as I've said before, I am not the target audience for this.
    Who actually is the target audience for this?
    I mean, you could just watch the animated version of Mulan right now. Why pay 20 quid to see a live action version of it? Edit: Actually see it early

Now, if it were something really, really, REALLY special (of course that depends per person, perhaps live action Mulan is special to a lot of people?), then I might be tempted.

Edited by Red_Bool at 12:41:37 27-08-2020
  • oldskooldeano 27 Aug 2020 13:10:56 3,136 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I just canít see many people paying this at all. The number of family members watching it shouldnít be any sort of justification for the price. Letís just hope it fails spectacularly so we see no more of it.
    In other news when do we get to have Ďonwardí on our uk service? The US have had since April and we still have no news. If they donít pull their finger out come renewal time next year they are going to have some problems.
  • Pierre2k 27 Aug 2020 13:22:04 1,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A couple of months ago, in the midst of lockdown, I put on a bit of a surprise cinema night for my 2 kids. Printed posters, printed tickets, setup a pretend shop with hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, sweets, drinks etc. I paid £15 to rent Trolls World Tour.

Worth it in the context to me, but even then I thought the pricing was insanity. I appreciate this is a form of kinda ownership, rather a straight rental, but it's definitely over the threshold where I'd even consider it.

That said, I've never even watched animated Mulan, so I've no attachment to it and could just watch the original for "free" on Disney Plus instead.
  • Nexus_6 27 Aug 2020 13:24:13 5,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Pierre2k I hope you took the money out the kid's pocket money for all that?
    I mean to just cover your overheads they'd need to be shelling out about 17 quid each right?
  • Pierre2k 27 Aug 2020 13:27:55 1,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol, it was an early combined birthday and Christmas present for both of them. They should think themselves lucky the ungrateful gits!
  • Nexus_6 27 Aug 2020 13:33:33 5,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha, it's very sweet in all honesty. Did they enjoy it, more to the point?
  • Dougs 27 Aug 2020 13:34:49 95,479 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Pierre2k Nice, did they appreciate it?!

My daughter loves Mulan. I can see myself being brow-beaten into buying/hiring this. It's OTT of course but....
  • Pierre2k 27 Aug 2020 13:41:31 1,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the kids absolutely loved it. Totally unexpected by them, and I'd went to town getting it setup (clearly I was really bored during lockdown with nothing better to do). Highly recommended!
  • Raiftel 27 Aug 2020 16:25:17 241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't get balking at the price of MULAN. The film is not my cup of tea, but it's equivalent cost to four cinema tickets (at the Vue), maybe even two at a fancier cinema. If you've got a large household it probably ends up being fairly good value for a NEW release. Then again I say this as I'm convincing myself to drop however much the new BILL AND TED movie will cost this weekend.

Edit: Literally just saw they're forgoing digital for BILL AND TED in the UK. So gonna have to go into the COVID pits for that one next month

Edited by Raiftel at 16:27:39 27-08-2020
  • kentmonkey 27 Aug 2020 16:38:51 23,745 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IF you've got a large household though.

Most people won't have a large household to offset the cost.

And it's still trying to charge a similar price as going to the cinema, which people do as an 'experience' (even though I don't get it personally) and get to watch on a large screen with, usually, decent audio.

This is watching a moving on your TV for £20.

If this takes off, digital streaming prices will go through the roof.

'you want to stream the latest album by (insert artist), that'll cost you £25. What? If you went to a concert it would cost you a lot more. And it's not as if we're charging you for how many pairs of ears are listening to it'.

'want to watch this 4 year old film? That's £10 rental please! What? The artsy digital cinema 40 miles away is charging 50% more than that. It's a bargain. And remember, we're not charging you for how many eyeballs are watching it'
  • Derblington 27 Aug 2020 16:50:18 33,905 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I donít see this affecting the way that we already interact with services.

Disney are trying to replicate a movie experience for the family. If you want it youíll pay for it, if you donít you wonít.
    I donít think the price is that big a deal. Obviously the £15 early rentals were successful enough, and this available for repeat views for the extra £5.

How popular it is depends on how well the movie is received.
  • Nazo 27 Aug 2020 17:01:03 1,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Disney are trying to replicate a movie experience for the family.
    No they aren't. They're trying to charge the same prices but they aren't offering any kind of 'experience'.
  • Rum_Monkey 27 Aug 2020 17:06:30 1,277 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Maybe they send a spotty greasy kid to your house with some cardboard nachos for an extra £8.
  • Pierre2k 27 Aug 2020 17:19:42 1,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm one of the folks that do appreciate the cinema experience to be fair. Sure, I could watch a movie at home, but I like going to the multiplex, getting an Ice Blast for the cost of a mortgage, and getting the big screen and sound system experience.

I also appreciate the lack of distractions. These days, there is so much choice on streaming services that I spend too long debating what to watch and skipping between shows. I have kids running around, debates over what I want to watch vs. what the wife wants, people texting and calling etc. At the cinema it's just me and the screen. Quite happy to even go to the cinema myself.

I'd much rather spend £20 to see Mulan at the cinema than at home. I don't think it's a like for like comparison between the 2, even with everyone having a huge TV these days.
  • Dougs 27 Aug 2020 17:47:12 95,479 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tbh, I am my worst enemy with distractions. Really need to stick the phone in another room whilst watching something. If I am not grabbed in 10 mins, I start browsing.
  • Derblington 27 Aug 2020 17:52:39 33,905 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like the cinema too and I do enjoy the whole thing of the massive dark room, popcorn and stuff.

Now Iím set up at home, especially during Covid, paying the same money to have the movie here isnít a terrible idea.
    I doubt Iíll pay to watch Mulan, but if it reviews really well I may be tempted.

I donít have D+ yet though, it doesnít launch here until Sept 15th.
  • Derblington 27 Aug 2020 17:54:11 33,905 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Disney are trying to replicate a movie experience for the family.
    No they aren't. They're trying to charge the same prices but they aren't offering any kind of 'experience'.
    In so much as providing a big ticket movie for a night of entertainment for the family they are.
    Personal set-up will dictate how close to an actual theater it is.
  • anephric 27 Aug 2020 18:54:41 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alright, Mr 128-inches.
  • Dougs 2 Sep 2020 15:07:48 95,479 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    https://twitter.com/themandalorian/status/1301157958819045376
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Sep 2020 15:09:54 1,277 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Ah cool. As soon as I saw the thread I wondered when we would get some s2 news. Pleasantly surprised.
  • oldskooldeano 2 Sep 2020 15:11:15 3,136 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Most excellent news!
  • Vortex808 2 Sep 2020 15:25:15 14,021 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oct 30th? Nice. I was expecting it to be well into next year after all the initial subscriptions had expired.

Something to look forward to in October/November now!
  • Nexus_6 2 Sep 2020 16:18:25 5,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    WOO HOO
    Will this be the UK date as well do you reckon?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.