Disney+ Page 41

• AcidSnake 15 Sep 2020 22:48:20 8,345 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He seems to be invited to all the big meetings. Where he remarks on the power of the Force and then strangles dudes because they don't believe in it...
    Now I know there's stuff in the military that's top secret, but Vader is walking around pretty freely...

The second he boards a ship Leia recognises him...So unless she habitually crashes military meetings he's a known person...

As for witnesses (apart from the admiralty mentioned above) Piett sees his predecessor strangled in front of his very eyes though a damn Zoom meeting.
    I don't think Vader tries to hide his powers at all...

It wasn't really an issue until the prequels established there were hundreds of Jedi running around the galaxy which people promptly forgot about once they were murdered...
    Anakin was born on Tatooine and immediately recognised Qui-Gon as a Jedi. As did Watto. Surely most kids would have anyway? And some of them are definitely still alive during Ep 4 though 6...
  • Derblington 15 Sep 2020 23:03:59 33,905 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There were 10,000 Jedi, but thatís still a small number in a galaxy of populated planets (Coruscant itself is over 1 trillion pop), and they didnít run around doing ninja stuff. Most of their work was peaceful. People knew of them.
    And, yeah, the top levels of the Empire knew Vader. I donít think they ran around gossiping about him though.

Like I said, itís established from the earliest scenes that in-fiction theyíve largely been forgotten despite the fact that we see 9 movies and countless seasons of content full of them. Thatís supported in everything about them. It may be stupid, and the more content produced about them the thinner it seems, but itís consistent.

I donít know why Mando doesnít know anything about them but they probably have a reason.

Edited by Derblington at 23:05:11 15-09-2020
  • AcidSnake 15 Sep 2020 23:21:49 8,345 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I agree they've largely been forgotten, and until the prequels came along that was perfectly OK, the point raised on the previous page was that it was not very believable...

20 odd years isn't enough to forget all they were and did. They should have just kept the number of Jedi in the prequels down to not more than a hundred and not made them the enforcement arm of the senate...
    Just a random group of people with powers who got betrayed by their own...

I can understand Mando not knowing them though. Raised by a group of warriors who seem to rarely speak...
  • Derblington 15 Sep 2020 23:30:20 33,905 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Mandolorians were at war with the Jedi - thatís sort of the big problem. But I imagine itíll be brought up in later episodes.
  • Saul_Iscariot 15 Sep 2020 23:30:44 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derbs is correct. Though the Jedi were known, very few had direct experiences of them. Even young Anakin thought that they were like superheroes, that could not be defeated. They were more a myth to the galaxy than common knowledge.

Aboard the Death Star, Admiral Motti knew of the force, Vaderís sorceress ways, but severely under estimated it. And he would have had more experience of the Lord of the Sith than Honest Jawaís of TatooineĎS Kebab house.

As for the Mandalorian not knowing of the history of the Jedi, he was adopted into the tribe. The blacksmith knew of them.
  • AcidSnake 16 Sep 2020 00:32:08 8,345 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We're talking about a galaxy with spaceships and interplanetary trade. I find it hard to believe the wizard guys with laser swords, drafted to command legions of clone troopers in the largest armed conflict the galaxy has seen in over a thousand generations, during which they were the guardians of peace, are seen as myths similar to El Chupacabra...

Anakin seeing them as superheroes speaks more to him still being a kid. He'd probably think cops are invincible as well.
    Watto knows about Jedi mind tricks as does Jabba, and they're both on backwater planets...

It's the scope of their power that makes it difficult to believe they'd be forgotten so fast even by people who lived back then.
  • Derblington 16 Sep 2020 00:43:09 33,905 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    But they never openly displayed it. It was talked about as though it was legendary from the outset because it was unbelievable.

We explicitly see it as the viewers but itís not widespread in the galaxy far, far away. They were commanders in the Clone Wars but the battles took place on largely uninhabited planets. Very little happens in locations with reliable narrators to pass on the facts.
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Sep 2020 00:46:59 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AcidSnake According to QI there is more historical evidence about Jesus Christ than Julius Caesar. I find it easier to believe that Caesar landed on Britainís shores in 55 and 54 BC, than a man raising the dead.

The people that kept the faith that the Force and Jedi were real, were mostly those that had first hand experiences of both. Han Solo didnít believe in the Force when he met Ben and Luke, but why should he? He wouldnít have had much reason to encounter one.

And Palpatine had used the fall of the Jedi to besmirch, discredit and rewrite history.
  • Your-Mother 16 Sep 2020 00:47:34 4,743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shut up nerds
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Sep 2020 01:07:52 1,277 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I wish I never said anything now.
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Sep 2020 01:42:40 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey Shush, your mother told us to be quiet. Are we still going Apple scrumping tomorrow?
  • neilka 16 Sep 2020 02:00:04 23,549 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can The Mandalorian stop a blaster bolt in midair?
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Sep 2020 03:12:40 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @neilka If he was strong in the Force, then yes.
  • AcidSnake 16 Sep 2020 08:36:20 8,345 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington:
    Why would they fight for uninhabited planets? (I haven't seen the clone wars series) Even if just military staging grounds for the separatists surely their commanders would notice the people literally flinging their battle droids about with their minds and maybe discuss that issue at the next meeting?
    Also the whole reliable narrator thing is only really relevant to our history, not in places that routinely use holographic communications/recordings and have droids with memory banks spanning multiple decades easily...
    You'd think they'd made a few documentaries about the people with the glow sticks making things fly with their minds...

@Saul_Iscariot:
    I think QI is wrong about that one then...

Oh God, the blaster bolt...Wasn't that the discussion that killed vizzini once and for all?
  • Dougs 16 Sep 2020 09:13:49 95,479 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Shut up nerds
    QFT
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Sep 2020 09:49:40 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AcidSnake There are, and I cannot verify this, more written accounts by observers of the acts of Jesus than there are of Julius Caesar.

I do think that Derbs is wrong on the battles mostly occurring on uninhabited planets. The Clone Wars features a range of planets that go from sparsely inhabited to planets with vast cities. But the Jedi either go in to save the planet following the Separatist occupation or the Jedi are there, but only really deal with the higher ups on the planet.

The majority of the population donít get to see them in action. We have so many myths in our own history that may have some basis in truth but became exaggerated, that I think that is how most people would see the Jedi. Han Solo didnít dismiss the idea of the Jedi when he met Ben and Luke, but he was incredibly sceptical about the Force. And he is the Everyman in the story.
  • Derblington 16 Sep 2020 09:51:31 33,905 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @AcidSnake
    The battles tended to take place on planets that had indigenous people, farmers, or locations of significant military and manufacturing interest, etc, or naval battles over planets. There isn't much seen of fully populated city planets at war with civvy casualties and news reporting.
    In most battles you had no Jedi present. In some you had 2 or 3. In very few were more than that.

The problem with the believably seems to be a misconception of how the SW universe functions. There weren't that many Jedi (relative), they were never rockstars or even widely seen, they didn't go around doing ninja shit in public, and they weren't filmed on holographic communicators and shared with hashtags.
    Look at any of the occurrences of the Jedi events that occur in the movies/shows and see how they're framed, who's present, who survives, who wins, and how the narrative is framed. It's not how you keep suggesting it must be.

Edited by Derblington at 09:53:17 16-09-2020
  • Nexus_6 16 Sep 2020 10:17:30 5,269 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How about them thighs on Cara Dune though eh?
    Great Pit of Carkoon has nothing on getting squeezed to death in there!
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Sep 2020 10:23:48 1,277 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Could someone use the force to wank you off?
  • Not-a-reviewer 16 Sep 2020 10:25:11 6,461 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The trade federation knew about them, as did the Hutts who hosted podracing that was broadcast across the Galaxy. Theyíd be trading with everyone and talk about them.

Defending it is making excuses for something that could have been easily avoided.

Also the whole galaxy leant the emperor and empire had lost the battle of having within about 5 minutes. Hearing about space wizards shouldnít be too hard.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 10:27:53 16-09-2020
  • Derblington 16 Sep 2020 10:34:58 33,905 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Everybody knows about them. There's just not a lot of stock in it.

The entire series frames it in a very specific way. Pick it apart by all means, but it's fairly consistent from start to end.
  • neilka 16 Sep 2020 10:48:31 23,549 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Could someone use the force to wank you off?
  • Nexus_6 16 Sep 2020 10:53:33 5,269 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Which Jedi would be best to wank you off then? Or which would you like to be wanked off by?

Would Yoda for example feel rough like I reckon fantasise his wee hands feel? Would Vader be all leathery or crispy and crinkly when he takes his glove off?
    How does it feel to one being strangled/force pushed/wanked off by the force?
  • AcidSnake 16 Sep 2020 10:56:24 8,345 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot:
    Not to get into the biblical side too much but there are AFAIK no written accounts of observers of the acts of Jesus. There are written accounts by people who heard the stories a few decades after the alleged acts.
    I'm not a mythicist by the way, I do believe he probably existed, though, you know, without the magic...

@Derblington:
    There might not have been many Jedi but they were apparently the guardians of peace and justice for thousands of generations. As soon as a planet has a spaceport surely their presence would be known?

Also in Ep 3 we clearly have security footage of Anakin murdering children. From that I think it's safe to deduce other places have security footage too. And sooner or later there would have been an occurrence of Jedi doing ninja stuff in front of a camera? Either in doing their job or in recruitment ads or something?
  • magicpanda 16 Sep 2020 10:57:40 15,048 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How would you do it as a Jedi? For the full darkside stranglewank, I'm imagining the classic arm out around the neck with the other arm doing a ball bag cupping/massage pose.

I don't think a wanking motion would look right on film.

Edited by magicpanda at 10:58:19 16-09-2020
  • Nexus_6 16 Sep 2020 11:00:18 5,269 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
  • Derblington 16 Sep 2020 11:00:19 33,905 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cool, deduce/suppose away.

And, again (and again and again), people did know of them!
  • AcidSnake 16 Sep 2020 11:15:01 8,345 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington:
    I hadn't seen your reply to not-a-reviewer yet.
    People did know of them.
    But this whole thing started yesterday when Rum_Monkey said:
    The one thing that bugs me is, why don't they seem to know about jedi's or the force where they are?
    And you opposed that. So which is it?

Also you're saying deduction isn't valid when talking about a fictional universe?
    Are you suggesting in a universe with holographic security cameras and cross solar system instant holographic communication no-one ever made a video of a Jedi lifting stuff with their mind?
  • thelzdking 16 Sep 2020 11:19:22 10,188 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They must have telly.
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Sep 2020 11:25:23 1,277 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    It doesn't matte what Yodas hands feel like, he is using the force to wank you off not his grubby little hands.

Might as well just stay in the bath for ages and give yourself a pruny wank.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.