Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker Page 10

• elstoof 10 May 2019 12:46:07 23,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The tricky thing to balance is to keep the Jedi special somehow, you could go back to the old republic or whatever and have tons of Jedi, but then everyoneís a fucking Jedi. This plot line where theyíre all gone apart from a couple of skywalkers makes them special. Itís like in heroes when they gave peter all the powers, then realised thatís absolute shit in terms of creating a story, itís hard to know what you can do with this lore from here
  • Derblington 10 May 2019 12:53:24 31,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    No one wants other stuff. They barely want extended universe shit, hence the Solo flop
    There's always been other stuff, just in other mediums. The appetite is there.
    The live action stuff has just never gotten past it.

I'm not convinced Solo is a flop for that reason at all. More and people are seeing it now and realising that it wasn't the abomination they were told about. Troubled production changing directors and all the rumours around it sullied the entire thing.
    I like Rogue One and Solo a lot - they take the era I'm most fond of and explore other areas around the Skywalker Sage without directly including them. I'd be more interested in the next couple of Solo movies than Ep 9.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 May 2019 12:59:29 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would like to get back to the point of ... why does palpatine need to be Vaderís dad? What narrative purpose does it solve?
  • senso-ji 10 May 2019 13:02:20 9,680 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesn't. It's just lazy writing.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 13:05:38 20,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it anything more than a theory at the minute?
  • SweetMrGibs 10 May 2019 13:08:25 1,345 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I first read that Palpatine was Vader's dad, I thought "That's well cheesey." But, actually thinking about it, it does make sense. I always thought that Palpatine had something to do with it. The problem I have, is that it didn't need to be implicitly stated.
  • Nazo 10 May 2019 13:10:29 1,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The comic seems to show Palpatine manipulating an already pregnant Shmi, so he isn't Vader's dad, just a foetus fiddler.
  • AcidSnake 10 May 2019 13:16:40 8,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The problem is with the coincidences at that point.
    Anakin could have been just one out of a bunch of Force adept kids around the galaxy and Qui-Gonn just happened to stumble upon him. He even mentions that if he were born in the republic they would have recognised his abilities right away...

By having the emperor be his dad the fact that Qui-Gonn met the kid at all would be a staggering coincidence, he did after all only go to Tatooine because of chance basically...
  • Singularity 10 May 2019 14:09:09 3,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Chance in Star Wars can always be hand waved by saying that it was the will of the Force.
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 May 2019 19:13:31 3,129 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Is it anything more than a theory at the minute?
    Nope, I put it out there. Beyond that it is just speculation. I just thought it might be a point to consider.

The conversation took an interesting turn, in my humble, in that two of the films set between the Prequels and Originsls, are definitely wherevDisney should be concentrating their efforts.

Rogue One was a stand out film, for me, in the series. Solo offered a lot of potential to explore established characters and their motivations before they entered the OT.

That could have been the springboard for the stories that the Legends comics and novels explored and move away from the Skywalker saga.

That was based on the Journey of a Hero and the fall, in the OT and PT. The Sequels feel like they havenít quite got a larger plan on which path they should follow or explore. The first two trilogies had a successful plan, though the execution could have been better handled. That ST feels like it is only rigging on the ideas rather than leading to somewhere that allows for a more enriched set of stories.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 May 2019 19:41:11 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    Getting back on topic, has anyone mentioned who Vaderís father is? The Marvel comics recently revealed who it was. I will spoiler it in case you do not know and by subsequent theory on what the tag line may refer to.

In a recent Darth Vader comic he has a vision of Palpatine manipulating Schmiís womb with the force to impregnate her. This makes him Vaderís Pops and Lukeís Grandad.

In the Star Wars tradition of Han having the surname of Solo because whatever, Sheev Skywalker is now the Emperorís full name. He took the mother of his childís surname as it will annoy the twats that complain Star Wars cannot have strong female characters or there is something a bit too lefty about a story that began with a yerrorist group trying to overthrow the legitimate government by any means necessary.

Be warned and may the force be with you.
    ... you do not frame that as speculation
  • elstoof 10 May 2019 20:00:44 23,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The whole thing is a fucking confused mess of words
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 May 2019 20:35:39 3,129 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 My apologies if it came across as a statement of fact. I was just making connections between what is established canon and where it could go. There are many other theories that one could go with, and most, including the one I posted will possibly be wrong. That is speculation in my book.
  • Lukus 10 May 2019 22:28:42 21,970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What the fuck is going on
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 22:33:24 20,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Palpatine spit midochlorians into Shmi's vulva when she was asleep apparently. Caused the whole thing.
  • thelzdking 10 May 2019 22:53:06 9,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If they're going to shoehorn another old character in, at least it's Palpatine. He was one of the only good things about the Prequels, and a far better baddie than Vader ever was. Also now that he might be a foetus-fiddler he's kind of a paedo, so he's ticked every last evil box.
  • elstoof 10 May 2019 23:10:04 23,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So which of the students did snoke finger behind the bins at Sith Academy
  • Lukus 11 May 2019 00:19:45 21,970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Palpatine spit midochlorians into Shmi's vulva when she was asleep apparently. Caused the whole thing.
    Force Rape?
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 09:46:19 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So much for giving star wars a rest

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/14/18623112/disney-star-wars-movie-game-of-thrones-creators
  • Derblington 15 May 2019 11:17:04 31,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They're giving it 3 years, they didn't say it was stopping.
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 11:17:50 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    is 3 years a break from a film series now?

I thought 3 years was just the time it took to make a movie.
  • Rhaegyr 15 May 2019 11:51:24 4,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like Disney let anything successful breathe.

See: Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars etc
  • Derblington 15 May 2019 11:54:30 31,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's not a Disney thing, it's a business thing.
  • Rhaegyr 15 May 2019 12:02:28 4,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, because Pixar were on the brink of collapse when they didn't make sequels before Disney entered the frame.
  • adamasunder12 15 May 2019 12:40:40 424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    is 3 years a break from a film series now?

I thought 3 years was just the time it took to make a movie.
    To be fair they would normally have staggered film production from different teams so as to give us 3 a year until we die of sheer exhaustion/indifference.

I'm one of the the weirdos that classes the Knights of the Old Republic game as the single best piece of Star Wars story/lore (although never read any EU) so I feel a little shiver in my balls at the prospect of the possibility they may be going there in film form.

The fact they're going with the creators of GoT seems to add more weight to it although that could be just wishful thinking and 'typecasting' of sorts by me and other wishful thinkers. They took a while to jump the shark but the dark fantasy was very well realised up to then.

But what do I know? I was indifferent to FA, nonplussed (both meanings) to Last Jedi and thought R1 was un necessary.
  • Derblington 15 May 2019 12:43:36 31,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Right, because Pixar were on the brink of collapse when they didn't make sequels before Disney entered the frame.
    All the movies have been produced by Disney.
  • adamasunder12 15 May 2019 12:43:50 424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Like Disney let anything successful breathe.

See: Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars etc
    I would agree with the others but I would argue Marvel films could only work as they are. No one would remember previous events unless they were months rather than years apart.

They seem to be winding down to start the next phase and Marvel studios would have liked or attempted to do the same if not owned by Disney.
  • ChiefGB 15 May 2019 12:58:42 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    When I first read that Palpatine was Vader's dad, I thought "That's well cheesey." But, actually thinking about it, it does make sense. I always thought that Palpatine had something to do with it. The problem I have, is that it didn't need to be implicitly stated.
    Thatís even worse as it accepts thatís
    A) it was an immaculate conception (presumably) and then
    B) heís a foetus fiddler

The two scenarios together are far less probable

If they have to go down that route a scenerio where palpatine is a force rapist fits better.

Canít even believe any of this is a thing.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 May 2019 09:53:33 20,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Knights of the Old Republic film being made apparently.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.